[Stratum][ESMPPS][PPLNS] TheSeven's PPCoin Pool - Official thread

[quote=“ygraku, post:40, topic:71”]hi, i am testing using bfgminer:

./bfgminer -o theseven.bounceme.net:3333 -u PD4rreaEEJhPmKKE7eEsvoV6CNMSWqSuoe -p esmpps_quick -w 128

and showing debug details i have sometimes:

[2013-05-19 00:51:20] Pushing work from pool 0 to hash queue [2013-05-19 00:51:20] Unknown stratum msg: {"jsonrpc":"2.0","id":"txlist447","error":{"code":-32601,"message":"Method not found"}} [/quote]

That is bfgminer attempting to use some completely undocumented protocol extensions. Nothing to worry about. I’d be curious which pool server software even supports that…

[quote=“ygraku, post:40, topic:71”]the statistics page
http://theseven.bounceme.net/~theseven/pool/?PD4rreaEEJhPmKKE7eEsvoV6CNMSWqSuoe
is fixed to:

Your last payment was sent on Sat May 18 2013 23:26:10 GMT+0200 (CEST).

is it ok?

thanks[/quote]

That’s just your registration (i.e. connected first time) date until you receive a payout.

However, looking at the server logs and your statistics page, it seems like you didn’t submit a single share yet.
Roughly how much hashrate do you have?

Edit: Shortly after typing this, you seem to have submitted your first share. Something should appear on your statistics page within the next minutes…

[quote=“TheSeven, post:41, topic:71”]However, looking at the server logs and your statistics page, it seems like you didn’t submit a single share yet.
Roughly how much hashrate do you have?

Edit: Shortly after typing this, you seem to have submitted your first share. Something should appear on your statistics page within the next minutes…[/quote]

thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile:
anyway i am just experimenting using a very old computer and i have 2.0 Mh/s, and yes now i see the statistics updated,
thank you

This morning, I awoke to both of my systems having “issues”. My disconnection from the pool was not intentional. It looks like the problem started shortly after going to bed. [size=8pt](of course!)[/size]
I have upgraded both workers to run cgminer 3.1.1. Maybe that will help things on my end. (v3.1.1 notes: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.msg2109055#msg2109055)
One cool new feature is that it shows current network difficulty, and when it changes.

[quote=“camel, post:43, topic:71”]This morning, I awoke to both of my systems having “issues”. My disconnection from the pool was not intentional. It looks like the problem started shortly after going to bed. [size=8pt](of course!)[/size]
I have upgraded both workers to run cgminer 3.1.1. Maybe that will help things on my end. (v3.1.1 notes: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.msg2109055#msg2109055)
One cool new feature is that it shows current network difficulty, and when it changes.[/quote]

The disconnection time was around 3:00-4:00 UTC, which is the time frame during which my IP address changes every night. The miners probably failed to reconnect properly for some reason, I hope that the update will help with that.

(And yes, I’ll need to get some better hosting for this pool once it gets bigger. Right now it doesn’t pay for itself yet, so my hosting budget is fairly limited.)

They did not seem to have that issue the night before; the last two nights, I think. I’ve not really had any problems with my config on any bitcoin stratum pools before, but hopefully v3.1.1 works better with your pool. Are you still seeing the weird behavior reflected in the logs now that I’ve restarted and upgraded?

Most pools probably don’t change their IP address as often as mine does, so that might be related.

And no, I haven’t seen any of those weird messages from your miners during the last few hours.
Not sure if the update did help here, or whether this was simply a one-time glitch and restarting would have done the trick as well.

hey i have mined over 10ppc and past a new week and still havnt recieved payment?

PJoDGUH4RCJLtgu6CxHpbRiEQsD6xQsMqe

[quote=“chotus, post:47, topic:71”]hey i have mined over 10ppc and past a new week and still havnt recieved payment?

PJoDGUH4RCJLtgu6CxHpbRiEQsD6xQsMqe[/quote]

Well, you haven’t really mined 10ppc yet. You’ve mined credits that will pay you around 17ppc in the long run if the pool has average luck. The pool hasn’t yet found a block for the reward system that you’re using (esmpps_quick) yet, so it can’t pay you anything yet. As the pool is still fairly small this can take a while.

Please note that the rewards for blocks found by the pool aren’t split up between the different reward systems, but will only be used for the reward system that found them. Otherwise the pool would be vulnerable to hopping between those reward systems, because those would act similar to users in a proportional pool, with all the known flaws of that.

TL;DR: You’ll get paid when someone mining with the esmpps_quick reward system will find a block.

Speaking of finding blocks, will stats/links for blocks found by this pool be added in the near future? What was the block height of the one found most recently?

What kind of statistics would you like to see? I can quickly add something to the API, but I’ll have to think about how and where to display it.

The block that you found was at height 48409, hash 00000000000029b22696b7eb303dcb8326d7a32dd1cce7a2955059897595f416.

I guess the usual suspects, things like: block height, time/date found, round length/total shares, user shares/pool shares in last 24hr/in current round, block value/coins generated, some kind of payout breakdown.
For instance, using block 48409, it was a PoW block and 420.3 coins were generated. How was my 29.976316 PPLNS payout calculated based on shares submitted?

[quote=“camel, post:51, topic:71”]I guess the usual suspects, things like: block height, time/date found, round length/total shares, user shares/pool shares in last 24hr/in current round, block value/coins generated, some kind of payout breakdown.
For instance, using block 48409, it was a PoW block and 420.3 coins were generated. How was my 29.976316 PPLNS payout calculated based on shares submitted?[/quote]

That is slightly complicated, and I’m not sure if I’m logging sufficient data to calculate all of that historically. I’d basically have to keep track of the state of the PPLNS share queue at the times that blocks were found etc.

For PPLNS, the reward system works like this: When a share is submitted, the PPS value of that share at the time that it was found is calculated (block reward / difficulty), and divided by the share lifetime in blocks (default 2). The resulting share value is inserted into the PPLNS queue. When a block confirms, that share queue is walked backwards from the time that the block was found, the calculated amount is paid to all shares until it runs out of funds.
This means every time that a block is found, you’ll get a 50% PPS payout for your shares, minus fees. Your share will typically be alive for 2 blocks, but that might differ slightly as the difficulty changes, to make it hopping proof.

For PPS and ESMPPS this is trivial. PPS is paid instantly when the share is found, ESMPPS will pick the least paid shares and pay them until they catch up with the next better paid shares, and so on, until it runs out of funds.

Looks like I’m the only one left on the pool once again :-\

The good news is that we’ve found another block: 0000000000000fbc7dbe0317716ce34c5f86c843560da4a1701744b3175e4d48 at height 49637, this time for the ESMPPS 520 confirmations reward system. Once this confirms (another 1-2 days), a bunch of people can expect some payout :slight_smile:

[quote=“camel, post:51, topic:71”]I guess the usual suspects, things like: block height, time/date found, round length/total shares, user shares/pool shares in last 24hr/in current round, block value/coins generated, some kind of payout breakdown.
For instance, using block 48409, it was a PoW block and 420.3 coins were generated. How was my 29.976316 PPLNS payout calculated based on shares submitted?[/quote]

I agree with this, but put it on a separate, new page, named “charts”.
Also, you don’t need to process this very often (once in 6, 12, 24 hours?), also, the data may be only stored as a PNG image… because many BTC network graphs work that way.

Basically, you will be the first PPC network monitor & charts out there!!!

[quote=“TheSeven, post:53, topic:71”]Looks like I’m the only one left on the pool once again :-\

The good news is that we’ve found another block: 0000000000000fbc7dbe0317716ce34c5f86c843560da4a1701744b3175e4d48 at height 49637, this time for the ESMPPS 520 confirmations reward system. Once this confirms (another 1-2 days), a bunch of people can expect some payout :)[/quote]

The rewards for this block have been paid out.
This reward system has been rather unlucky so far, finding the block took more than two times as long as average, so the payout is only 45.7% PPS for now, but this will hopefully improve within the next few blocks. Remember that, with the ESMPPS reward model, your shares will be paid additional amounts retroactively when the pool’s luck increases. You won’t ever be paid less than any future shares.

Hey ‘TheSeven’, I just joined your pool a few days ago after CoinOTron pissed me off for the last time (my miner was inactive about half of the time!) Not so with this! I’ve been hashing about 280 M/hs on ESMPPS Quick and just got my first confirmed payout yesterday. Hope we get some more joining soon! Thanks for doing this…

…Chordonblue

[quote=“chordonblue, post:56, topic:71”]Hey ‘TheSeven’, I just joined your pool a few days ago after CoinOTron pissed me off for the last time (my miner was inactive about half of the time!) Not so with this! I’ve been hashing about 280 M/hs on ESMPPS Quick and just got my first confirmed payout yesterday. Hope we get some more joining soon! Thanks for doing this…

…Chordonblue[/quote]

Hey, Welcome to the pool! :slight_smile:
I appreciate any additional hashes that I can get, this pool is still way too small!

If you should ever run into trouble, feel free to ask here or on IRC (#ppcoin on freenode).

Nice job on the new site! 8)

If you have any suggestions for further improvements, please let me know! :slight_smile:

The pool’s hashrate appears to have increased a little bit. ???