(script draft) Peercoin Primer #4: Economics

Hi, I’m Chronos, and welcome to Part 4 of the Peercoin Primer. Peercoin is one of the world’s most established cryptocurrencies, and each video in this series will explore a different aspect of it.

Show overview onscreen:

• Part 1: Launch
  • Part 2: Security
  • Part 3: Benefits
  • Part 4: Economics
  • Part 5: Legacy

These videos are designed to be watched in any order, so feel free to jump directly to what most interests you. Today, we’re going to get into the details of the blockchain economics: inflation rates, block rewards, transaction fees, and more.

When you get right down to it, the supply inflation rate is one of the most important things to consider. I mean, the whole reason that Peercoin has value is because the supply is limited. So, what is the inflation rate, exactly?

Well, like we mentioned in Part 1 of the video series, new Peercoins come from two different sources: the proof of work that distributes coins to miners, and the proof of stake that secures the network and rewards coin holders. Let’s look at each of these separately.

On the proof of work side, this is how the first coins came into existence in the beginning, so the inflation rate started at infinity. After a year, it was already down to about 8% annual growth in the coin supply, and at the time of this recording, it’s already well below three percent – not bad. There are two things making it decrease here: first, as the supply grows, the percentage of new coins is naturally going to decrease, because it’s being compared against a larger and larger base. But secondly, and more importantly, the proof of work rewards in Peercoin are specially designed to shrink as an inverse function of the hash rate on the network. In other words, as better and better mining technology is invented, bringing more mining power to the network, the reward in new Peercoins for each block gets smaller and smaller, approaching zero.

On the proof of stake side, Peercoin is designed to produce a 1% annual minting reward for everyone who helps secure the network. I don’t even think you should really consider this 1% as inflation, though, because you get the same reward as everyone else. Hear me out. Imagine if you own half a percent of all the Peercoins in existence. Yeah, you’re pretty rich, but hey, that’s fun to imagine. Anyway, after a year, now there’s 1% more Peercoins from minting rewards, floating around out there. But when you also mint with your coins, you get a 1% return as well, so when it’s all said and done, you still have that same percentage ownership of all coins. Even though you have more Peercoins than before, so does everyone else, in equal percentage proportion, so nothing has really changed. This is kind of a mind bender, so take some time to think about it. I sometimes hear criticisms of proof of stake, saying that the people with the most Peercoins will get the most reward from that 1% growth. But when you think in percentage terms, you realize that they aren’t actually getting away with more money. Everyone continues to have the same size percentage slice of the network.

But there’s another factor affecting the supply that I haven’t mentioned yet: transaction fees. Unlike in bitcoin, Peercoin fees are actually destroyed instead of being paid to the miners, so that reduces the supply! The fees are just 0.01 Peercoins per kilobyte of transaction size, which isn’t much, but with enough transactions, that can really add up. Eventually, I think these fees alone will fully counterbalance the proof of work supply of new coins in the network, bringing the effective inflation to zero. Now that’s impressive.

So this is all great, but why is it important? In the next video, we’ll get into the Peercoin’s mission.

If you have any questions or comments, post below. I’m Chronos. Thanks for watching!

2 Likes

0.001 :eyeglasses:

@willy he’s correct.

Should’ve read that sentence to the end. Back to bed.

Edit… Nevertheless 0.001 could use a mention

It would be good to explain why is this set up the way it is.
The thesis is that the hashrate and the sha256 ASIC development (more efficient chips) is a good way to gauge the state and progress of the overall cryptocurrency movement. Ie, it gives real numbers on how many mining installations are online globally.
“Pegging” the issuance rate of Peercoin to this is better than making guesses on when will the scene be mature enough to slow down or completely cut of the PoW block reward.

And we can see that the theory works, in early days of the Peercoin hashrate was lower so inflation was higher - which served to incentivize the early adopters and bootstrap the economy. In the later years cryptocurrency movement grew exponentially, which was indicated by increased global hashrate, and Peercoin inflation fell lower.
Eventually the global hashrate will be high enough to lower the Peercoin block reward to a single Peercoin or lower.

isnt it still 0.01 PPC/kb but rounded at 0.001 PPC?

Comments and suggested amendments below:

+++

Hi, I’m Chronos, and welcome to Part 4 of the Peercoin Primer. Peercoin is one of the world’s most established cryptocurrencies, and each video in this series will explore a different aspect of it.

Show overview onscreen:

• Part 1: Launch
  • Part 2: Security
  • Part 3: Benefits
  • Part 4: Economics
  • Part 5: Legacy

These videos are designed to be watched in any order, so feel free to jump directly to what most interests you . In this video, we’re going to get into the details of the blockchain economics: inflation rates, block rewards, transaction fees, and more.

When you get right down to it, the supply inflation rate is one of the most important things to consider. I mean, the whole reason that Peercoin has value is because the supply is limited. So, what is the inflation rate, exactly?

Well, like we mentioned in Part 1 of the video series, new Peercoins come from two different sources: the proof of work that distributes coins to miners, and the proof of stake that secures the network and rewards coin holders. Let’s look at each of these separately.

On the proof of work side, this is how the first coins came into existence in the beginning, so the inflation rate started at infinity. After a year, it was already down to about 8% annual growth in the coin supply, and at the time of this recording, 2019, it’s already well below three percent – not bad. There are two things making it decrease here: first, as the supply grows, the percentage of new coins is naturally going to decrease , because it’s being compared against a larger and larger base . But secondly, and more importantly, the proof of work rewards in Peercoin are specially designed to shrink as an inverse function of the hash rate on the network. In other words, as better and better mining technology is invented, bringing more mining power to the network, the reward in new Peercoins for each block gets smaller and smaller, approaching zero.

Comment: will it in fact reach zero? If not, can we change “approaching zero” to “but never reaching zero” or “but not quite reaching zero”.

Maybe we add then something like: “This is similar to Bitcoin’s reduction of mining rewards, but whereas bitcoin’s block rewards are cut in half abruptly every four years, Peercoin’s reduction is gradual and smoothed out”. Is there a specific advantage in gradual reduction, over halving, which can be mentioned?

On the proof of stake side, Peercoin is designed to produce a 1% annual minting reward for everyone who helps secure the network. I don’t even think you should really consider this 1% as inflation, though, because you get the same reward as everyone else. Hear me out. Imagine if you own half a percent of all the Peercoins in existence. Yeah, you’re pretty rich, but hey, that’s fun to imagine. Anyway, after a year, now there’s 1% more Peercoins from minting rewards, floating around out there. But when you also mint with your coins, you get a 1% return as well, so when it’s all said and done, you still have that same percentage ownership of all coins. Even though you have more Peercoins than before, so does everyone else, in equal percentage proportion, so nothing has really changed. This is kind of a mind bender, so take some time to think about it . I sometimes hear criticisms of proof of stake, saying that the people with the most Peercoins will get the most reward from that 1% growth. But when you think in percentage terms, you realize that they aren’t actually getting away with more money. Everyone continues to have the same size percentage slice of the network.

Comment: I wonder whether the above paragraph can be extended to say something like: “I also hear criticisms that Peercoin’s minting reward of 1% isn’t large enough, and that the minting interest should be more generous – but here the same point applies – if everyone minting received 20%, then the overall supply would increase, and so cancel out the apparent 20% gains. One per cent is just enough to give people an incentive to mint".

Also, Chronos says that minting is not inflation, because it cancels out – but I would say minting is inflation, because it is increasing the supply. Suggest leave the reference to inflation out, and replace the sentence starting “I don’t even think” with: Some people say this is unfair, as it benefits people who already own large amounts of Peercoins, but I don’t agree .

But there’s another factor affecting the supply that I haven’t mentioned yet: transaction fees. Unlike in bitcoin, Peercoin fees are actually destroyed instead of being paid to the miners, so that reduces the supply! The fees are just 0.01 Peercoins per kilobyte of transaction size, which isn’t much, but with enough transactions, that can really add up. Eventually, I think these fees alone will fully counterbalance the proof of work supply of new coins in the network, bringing the effective inflation to zero. Now that’s impressive.

Comment: the sentence commenting “Eventually” is making a prediction that is just a little too specific for my ears. I would soften it to something like: These fees will act as a counterbalance to the supply of new coins produced by proof of work mining, and minting, and so offset or moderate the inflation rate without the need for hard limits. Now that’s impressive .

So this is all great, but why is it important? In the next video, we’ll get into the Peercoin’s mission.

If you have any questions or comments, post below. I’m Chronos. Thanks for watching!

This one is good too, it seems longer than it is, the length should be fine.

I’d suggest just removing the mention of zero entirely. Saying it gets smaller and smaller is fine.

Maybe use the actual words ‘rich get richer’, as that is the name of the criticism you are rebuffing. You could say it’s more ‘minters get richer’, to get the point across that minting is good for your economic interests.

I’d prefer you didn’t say this, especially with RFC0011 on the table.

I also think it might be best to change the language in that part. RobertLlloyd’s proposal here seems ok to me.

I’d love to see a reference back to the previous video here to point out that the economics keep blockchain bloat down and keep the security decentralized.

The use of ‘zero’ here is also an issue, as it can theoretically go negative. Again, Robert Llloyd’s suggestion seems ok.

With formatting

Show overview onscreen:

Part 1: Launch
Part 2: Security
Part 3: Benefits
Part 4: Economics
Part 5: Mission

These videos are designed to be watched in any order, so feel free to jump directly to what most interests you . In this video, we’re going to get into the details of the blockchain economics: inflation rates, block rewards, transaction fees, and more.

When you get right down to it, the supply inflation rate is one of the most important things to consider. I mean, the whole reason that one of the main reasons Peercoin has value is because the supply is limited. So, what is the inflation rate, exactly?

Comment: Limited supply is not the only reason for value. It is one of the main reasons for it though, so I changed the wording slightly here.

Well, like we mentioned in Part 1 of the video series, new peercoins come from two different sources: the proof of work that distributes coins to miners, and the proof of stake that secures the network and rewards coin holders. Let’s look at each of these separately.

On the Proof of work side, this is how the first coins came into existence in the beginning, so the inflation rate started at infinity. On the proof of work side, the inflation rate initially started very high, because this is how the first peercoins came into existence in the beginning stages of the network. After a one year, it was already down to about 8% annual growth in the coin supply, and at the time of this recording, in 2019, it’s already well below 3% – not bad.

There are two things making it decrease here: first, as the supply grows, the percentage of new coins is naturally going to decrease But secondly, and more importantly, the The reason why it has been decreasing is because Peercoin’s proof of work block rewards in Peercoin are designed to dynamically fluctuate based on the hashrate, the level of mining power directed at the network. specially designed to shrink as an inverse function of the hashrate on the network. As the hashrate increases, the block reward shrinks. In other words, as better and better mining technology is invented, bringing more mining power to the network, the reward in new peercoins for each block gets smaller and smaller. , approaching zero. Pegging the issuance rate of Peercoin to the hashrate allows the block reward to dynamically adapt to the market. Eventually the hashrate will be high enough to decrease the block reward to a single peercoin or lower. This is similar to Bitcoin’s reduction of mining rewards, but whereas bitcoin’s block rewards are cut in half abruptly every four years, Peercoin’s reduction is gradual and smoothed out, which provides less of a shock to the economy.

*Comment: I have completely removed the first point about inflation naturally decreasing. Unless you include the comment about being compared against a larger and larger base, the sentence is not specific enough to get any meaning out of it. Overall though, I don’t feel it is worth keeping. The dynamic PoW block reward is the main idea we want to get across here.

Comment: I included some of Peerchemist’s post in the paragraph here.

On the proof of stake side, Peercoin is designed to produce a 1% annual minting reward for everyone who helps secure the network. I don’t even think you should really consider this 1% as inflation, though, because you get the same reward as everyone else. Some people say this is unfair though, and that it benefits people who already own large amounts of peercoins, but I disagree. Hear me out. Imagine if you own half a percent of all the peercoins in existence. Yeah, you’re pretty rich, but hey, that’s fun to imagine. Anyway, after a year passes by, now there’s 1% more peercoins from minting rewards floating around out there. But when you also mint with your coins, you get a 1% return as well, so when it’s all said and done, you still have that the same percentage ownership of all coins. Even though you have more peercoins than before, so does everyone else, in equal percentage proportion, so nothing has really changed.

I sometimes hear Because of this, the “rich get richer” criticisms argument commonly brought up against of proof of stake, saying that is false. This argument incorrectly states the people with the most peercoins will get the most reward from that 1% growth. A more legitimate argument would be called “minters get richer,” as opposed to non-minters, who lose out on their annual reward entirely by not participating. But When you think about it in percentage terms though, you realize that they large minters aren’t actually getting away with more money, as Everyone **all minters continues to have the same size percentage slice of the network.

Comment: I did not include the new paragraph written by Robert here because the protocol is most likely changing in the near future to incorporate RFC 0011, which will make it more profitable for minters in times of low difficulty. We will probably need to redo this video anyway at some point in the future to alter the wording for the PoS inflation section to take RFC0011 into consideration. For now though, I feel we don’t have to go too far into depth with this since it will likely be changing soon. If you still feel strongly about this, please let me know.

But there’s Another factor affecting the supply is transaction fees. Unlike in Bitcoin, where fees are paid to miners, Peercoin fees in Peercoin are actually destroyed, instead of being paid to the miners, so that which reduces the supply by permanently removing coins from circulation! The fees in Peercoin are dependent on the size of the transaction, how much space the transaction requires to be recorded on the blockchain. The standard fee is fixed at just 0.01 peercoins per kilobyte of transaction size data usage, which isn’t much, but with enough transactions, that can really add up. The transaction fee actually improves security and decentralization by acting to filter out micro-sized spam transactions, which unnecessarily bloat the size of the blockchain. The fee helps keep the blockchain a healthy size, which works to the advantage of minters who need to store the whole chain on their computer so they can participate. These fees will also act as a counterbalance to the supply of new coins produced by proof of work mining and minting, and so offsetting or moderating the inflation rate without the need for hard limits. Now that’s impressive!

The final major point is the lack of a hard limit on total coin supply. Whereas the distribution of Bitcoin ends after 21 million coins are produced, Peercoin has no such hard cap. Because of this hard limit, Bitcoin will become more deflationary over time. And as taught by economists around the world, a currency cannot perform its role effectively if it is deflationary. A small amount of inflation is necessary to incentivize actual use of a currency. At best, a deflationary currency will simply become a store of value rather than a usable currency, as incentives will align with holding rather than spending. Peercoin however supports a very limited amount of inflation through both mining and minting to help incentivize spending and normal currency use. It is precisely this attention to detail, a combination of limited, market adaptive inflation and proper economic incentives, which will allow Peercoin to find usage in the global economy.

Comment: I added in this final paragraph because I feel it is vital to talk about this topic. It is a main differentiator between Bitcoin and Peercoin when it comes to economics that we have not talked much about in official messaging.

So this is all great, but why is it important? In the next video, we’ll get into Peercoin’s mission.

Without formatting

Show overview onscreen:

In this video, we’re going to get into the details of blockchain economics: inflation rates, block rewards, transaction fees, and more.

When you get right down to it, the supply inflation rate is one of the most important things to consider. I mean, one of the main reasons Peercoin has value is because the supply is limited. So, what is the inflation rate, exactly?

Well, like we mentioned in Part 1 of the video series, new peercoins come from two different sources: the proof of work that distributes coins to miners, and the proof of stake that secures the network and rewards coin holders. Let’s look at each of these separately.

On the proof of work side, the inflation rate initially started very high, because this is how the first peercoins came into existence in the beginning stages of the network. After one year, it was already down to about 8% annual growth in the coin supply, and at the time of this recording, in 2019, it’s already well below 3% – not bad.

The reason why it has been decreasing is because Peercoin’s block rewards are designed to dynamically fluctuate based on the hashrate, the level of mining power directed at the network. As the hashrate increases, the block reward shrinks. In other words, as better mining technology is invented, bringing more mining power to the network, the reward in new peercoins for each block gets smaller and smaller. Pegging the issuance rate of Peercoin to the hashrate allows the block reward to dynamically adapt to the market. Eventually the hashrate will be high enough to decrease the block reward to a single peercoin or lower. This is similar to Bitcoin’s reduction of mining rewards, but whereas bitcoin’s block rewards are cut in half abruptly every four years, Peercoin’s reduction is gradual and smoothed out, which provides less of a shock to the economy.

On the proof of stake side, Peercoin is designed to produce a 1% annual minting reward for everyone who helps secure the network. Some people say this is unfair though, and that it benefits people who already own large amounts of coins, but I disagree. Hear me out. Imagine if you own half a percent of all the peercoins in existence. Yeah, you’re pretty rich, but hey, that’s fun to imagine. Anyway, after a year passes by, there’s 1% more coins from minting rewards floating around out there. But when you also mint with your coins, you get a 1% return as well, so when it’s all said and done, you still have the same percentage ownership of all coins. Even though you have more coins than before, so does everyone else, in equal percentage proportion, so nothing has really changed.

Because of this, the “rich get richer” argument commonly brought up against proof of stake is false. This argument incorrectly states the people with the most coins will get the most reward from that 1% growth. A more legitimate argument would be called “minters get richer,” as opposed to non-minters, who lose out on their annual reward entirely by not participating. When you think about it in percentage terms though, you realize that large minters aren’t actually getting away with more money, as all minters continue to have the same size percentage slice of the network.

Another factor affecting the supply is transaction fees. Unlike Bitcoin, where fees are paid to miners, fees in Peercoin are destroyed, which reduces the supply by permanently removing coins from circulation! The fees in Peercoin are dependent on the size of the transaction, how much space the transaction requires to be recorded on the blockchain. The standard fee is fixed at 0.01 peercoins per kilobyte of data usage, which isn’t much, but with enough transactions, that can really add up. The transaction fee actually improves security and decentralization by acting to filter out micro-sized spam transactions, which unnecessarily bloat the size of the blockchain. The fee helps keep the blockchain a healthy size, which works to the advantage of minters who need to store the whole chain on their computer so they can participate. These fees also act as a counterbalance to the supply of new coins produced by mining and minting, offsetting or moderating the inflation rate without the need for hard limits. Now that’s impressive!

The final major point is the lack of a hard limit on total coin supply. Whereas the distribution of Bitcoin ends after 21 million coins are produced, Peercoin has no such hard cap. Because of this hard limit, Bitcoin will become more deflationary over time. And as taught by economists around the world, a currency cannot perform its role effectively if it is deflationary. A small amount of inflation is necessary to incentivize actual use of a currency. At best, a deflationary currency will simply become a store of value rather than a usable currency, as incentives will align with holding rather than spending. Peercoin however supports a very limited amount of inflation through both mining and minting to help incentivize spending and normal currency use. It is precisely this attention to detail, a combination of limited, market adaptive inflation and proper economic incentives, which will allow Peercoin to find usage in the global economy.

So this is all great, but why is it important? In the next video, we’ll get into Peercoin’s mission.

Yes, I know this is quite long. This script took me a long time to edit, pretty much all of Sunday, but here it is finally. It is currently slightly longer than script 2, which took me about 5 minutes to read (I have seen the live reading Chronos did on script 2 and he did it even faster in 4 minutes and 22 seconds). I have tried to match my reading pace to Chronos. In Chronos speed, this script took me about 5 minutes and 20 seconds to read, but it’s possible I might be slightly off. So we may need to edit some to cut it down another 30 seconds. I have included a number of new points of info.

@RobertLloyd
@Nagalim

Please review this as soon as you can. We are on a limited time schedule now. If possible, we’re trying to release a new video every week. The first 3 scripts are confirmed finished and the first video is already released. The 2nd video should hopefully release sometime later this week.

Ok, I have tried improving the last couple sentences in the final paragraph. Hopefully it now works better as an ending.

Comments below.

You will see that three paragraphs are in italics. That is because I am dealing with them in two further posts, to follow this one.

+++++++

Show overview onscreen:

In this video, we’re going to get into the details of blockchain economics: inflation rates, block rewards, transaction fees, and more.

When you get right down to it, the supply inflation rate of coin supply is one of the most important things to consider. I mean, one of the main reasons Peercoin has value is because the supply is limited. So, what is the inflation rate, exactly?

Well, like we mentioned in Part 1 of the this video series, new peercoins come from two different sources: the proof of work that distributes coins to miners, and the proof of stake that produces secures the network and rewards coin holders mints coins as a reward for coin holders who secure the network. Let’s look at each of these separately in turn.

On the proof of work side, the Peercoin’s inflation rate initially started very high, because this is how the first peercoins came into existence in the beginning stages of the network . After one year, it in 2013, annual growth in the coin supply was already down to about 8% annual growth in the coin supply , and at the time of this recording, in 2019, it’s already well below 3% – not bad.

The reason why it Peercoin’s inflation rate has been decreasing is because Peercoin’s its block rewards are designed to dynamically fluctuate based on according to the hashrate, the level of mining power directed at the network. As the hashrate increases, the block reward shrinks. In other words, as better mining technology is invented, bringing more mining power to the network, the reward in new peercoins for each block gets smaller and smaller. Pegging the issuance rate of Peercoin to the hashrate therefore allows the block reward to dynamically adapt to the market. Eventually the hashrate will be high enough to decrease the block reward to a single peercoin or lower. This is similar to Bitcoin’s reduction of mining rewards, but whereas bitcoin’s block rewards are cut in half abruptly every four years, Peercoin’s reduction is gradual and smoothed out, which provides less of a removes sudden shocks to the economy.

[See subsequent post for next two paragraphs]

On the proof of stake side, Peercoin is designed to produce a 1% annual minting reward for everyone who helps secure the network. Some people say this is unfair though, and that it benefits people who already own large amounts of coins, but I disagree. Hear me out. Imagine if you own half a percent of all the peercoins in existence. Yeah, you’re pretty rich, but hey, that’s fun to imagine. Anyway, after a year passes by, there’s 1% more coins from minting rewards floating around out there. But when you also mint with your coins, you get a 1% return as well, so when it’s all said and done, you still have the same percentage ownership of all coins. Even though you have more coins than before, so does everyone else, in equal percentage proportion, so nothing has really changed.

Because of this, the “rich get richer” argument commonly brought up against proof of stake is false. This argument incorrectly states the people with the most coins will get the most reward from that 1% growth. A more legitimate argument would be called “minters get richer,” as opposed to non-minters, who lose out on their annual reward entirely by not participating. When you think about it in percentage terms though, you realize that large minters aren’t actually getting away with more money, as all minters continue to have the same size percentage slice of the network.

We’ve learnt about how mining and minting increases the supply of Peercoins, but does anything decrease the supply? Another factor affecting the supply is Here we come to transaction fees. Unlike Bitcoin, where fees are paid to miners, fees in Peercoin are destroyed, which reduces the supply by permanently removing coins from circulation! The size of the fee fees in Peercoin are is dependent on the size of the transaction, how much space the transaction requires to be recorded on the blockchain. The standard fee is fixed at a rate of 0.01 peercoins per kilobyte of data usage, which isn’t much is tiny , but with enough transactions, that can really add up. The transaction fee actually improves security and decentralization by deterring acting to filter out micro-sized spam transactions which unnecessarily bloat the size of the blockchain. The fee helps keep the blockchain a healthy size, which works to the advantage of enabling coin-holders minters who need to store the whole chain on their computer so they can and participate in minting. These Peercoin’s transaction fees also act as a counterbalance to the supply of new coins produced by mining and minting, offsetting or moderating the inflation rate without the need for hard limits. Now that’s impressive!

[See 2nd subsequent post for next paragraph]

Regarding the following two paragraphs:

+++

Regarding the above two paragraphs, I am not keen on rebutting the “rich get richer” idea in this way, or indeed at all. Firstly, I do not believe that people watching the video will make a connection between a 1% minting rate and whales getting unfair returns – 1% is a tiny rate of return, lower than most savings accounts – it is miniscule.

Secondly, “rich get richer” was a reaction years ago when first proof of stake first appeared. Since then, proof of stake is much more widely known and accepted – this old attack should not be a cloud over PPC, and certainly not cause us to take a defensive position in this video series.

But I suggest that the 1% minting rate can still be addressed, but in an alternative way – by explaining why it is not higher. Wording could be along the following lines:

On the proof of stake side, Peercoin is designed to produce a 1% annual minting reward for coin holders who help secure the network. But why is the reward only 1%, why not higher? Well, the 1% is designed as an incentive to mint and so secure the network, not to make minters wildly rich. If the minting reward was set at, say, 20%, those minting would receive an unduly high number of Peercoins which would centralise coin ownership and control of the network, which is not what Peercoin is intended to achieve. So, that 1% is just enough to give people an incentive to mint, to earn a few extra Peercoins, while avoiding the downsides of high inflation.

Regarding the following paragraph:

+++

I realise Sentinel has put extra work into this final paragraph, but I’m going to suggest we don’t need it. We establish (or imply) in the final sentence of the preceding paragraph that Peercoin supply is the net result of mining/minting and transaction fees, as opposed to a hard limit. So why not leave it at that?

Justifying the cap is only justified, in my view, in terms of Peercoin’s own internal economics. To justify it in terms of general economic thinking may be stretching the remit of the video, and takes us into deeper waters, since general theory is frequently debateable (and invariably wrong!). I think it would be cleaner to go straight from “Now that’s impressive!” in the penultimate paragraph, to “So this is all great, but why is it important?”

Otherwise, I think we will lose momentum with the present final paragraph.

I actually agree with your criticism here. When I was reading back over the text after finishing my editing, the whole PoS inflation section seemed like it was dedicated to clearing up people’s misconceptions. Rather than trying to get positive information across to the viewer, it was deflecting old myths. It felt defensive, like you said. However I still posted it to see what people thought. Now I know why it felt wrong.

However I don’t agree with the replacement topic you are proposing, that of explaining why we don’t increase more than 1%.

Think about the market we are dealing with here. While the things you say here are true, we don’t want to give people any reason to close the video and leave. A huge number of people are in crypto to make money. Blatantly telling them that they’re not going to earn any money in this way will be a huge turn off and we will likely lose the viewer for good.

I also mentioned above that we will probably be forced to reproduce this video with new updated information once RFC 0011 is implemented, which changes the way PoS inflation works in Peercoin. We really don’t want to have to reproduce the video.

So that’s why I’m thinking it might be a better idea to future proof the video. Instead of talking about rich get richer or why we don’t make the interest higher (pre-v0.9 topics), we very shortly explain how PoS inflation worked at the time the video was recorded. But then we dedicate a larger portion of time to explaining how it will work in the upcoming v0.9 release. This lets us discard the defensive explanations and focus more on the exciting stuff like RFC 0011 and dynamic PoS rewards. Talking about how inflation will work in the upcoming release will be more interesting to people and puts us in a better light where we can get positive information across to the viewer. This way we future proof the video and we don’t need to reproduce it after the network forks to v0.9.

When is version 9 expected to be implemented?

RFC0011 will certainly be there.

I agree with Sentinel’s idea. Rather than spend time on explaining the benefits of 1%, we direct our explanation to the benefits of the new/incoming supply model.

EDIT: just to clarify, we’ve already explained the old inflation in the above draft, yes? So, all that is needed is a section on the new model?

In the current draft, most of the PoS section will need to be deleted and started over from scratch. I’ll need to look over Nagalim’s RFC first though. Everything else should stay the same except the last paragraph. I’ve talked to Peerchemist about that paragraph and he agrees with me that it is necessary in order to separate ourselves from Bitcoin economically. Peercoin has limited inflation, so we need to own that and explain why it is superior.

However he wants me to add a different angle to it, so I’ll need to edit the final paragraph as well to alter the messaging somewhat.

1 Like