(Request for info) Updated mining guides for Peercoin -- solo and pool

I wanted to start to pull together resources for mining Peercoin, in particular, setting up hardware to solo mine (with the obvious disclaimers about difficulty and anticipated productivity) and pool mine.

Pool mining is easy to describe, because there’s a whole host of resources to point people towards and to consolidate/update.

Solo mining, on the other hand, isn’t well described, particularly for Peercoin. Does anyone have experience setting up [font=courier]ppcoind[/font] in server mode to mine against? Or, alternatively, can you point me in the direction of a good tutorial for setting up your own Peercoin pool where I can adapt it for “solo” use?

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that works for doing solo mining on PPC. Tested it for the fun of it a couple weeks ago. May have had to use more knowledge than just this page but this gives you some of the guts.

http://maunderingcabal.blogspot.com/2013/02/bitcoin-mining-log-9-how-to-solo-mine.html

CB

Here are some mining pools you can list.

Current:
www.cointron.com - Upgrading to stratum on PPC atm.
ppc.fixx.ru
ppcoin.d7.lt
www.multipool.us - Here is their PPC stats page https://www.multipool.us/stats.php?curr=ppc
www.coinmine.pl/ppc/

If anyone has pools to add to this please do :slight_smile:

CB

[quote=“CoinBadger, post:2, topic:1265”]Here is a link that works for doing solo mining on PPC. Tested it for the fun of it a couple weeks ago. May have had to use more knowledge than just this page but this gives you some of the guts.

http://maunderingcabal.blogspot.com/2013/02/bitcoin-mining-log-9-how-to-solo-mine.html

CB[/quote]

Thanks, CoinBadger, I’ll take a look. If I run into any questions, I’ll post them here – maybe you ran across the same ones.

I solo mined peercoin across my internal network back in the day on my gpu. I’ll see if I can write something up, I only have 60gh so I won’t hit a block unless very lucky but I could test it works and someone else with more hashrate could try it

Fuzzybear

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

[quote=“CoinBadger, post:2, topic:1265”]Here is a link that works for doing solo mining on PPC. Tested it for the fun of it a couple weeks ago. May have had to use more knowledge than just this page but this gives you some of the guts.

CB[/quote]

It is not easy to solo mine PPC. This guide will make you feel like you are solo mining but in fact PPC daemon limits the miner speed to 4GHs. So your program will report the speed of the miner while you are only mining at 4GHs (if you have any modern ASIC). The new 0.4 version is suppose to have the improvement (GetBlockTemplate - GBT). TheSeven wrote a stratum extension to have that fixed, but atm it is a hussle to solo mine unless you can program some stuff yourself.

I’m fairly comfortable with compiling code to run locally, so do you recommend that I look into setting up a Stratum client to connect to?

You need to modify the back end to have it mine over 4GHs, or you can wait and see if Sunny includes the GBT in v 0.4. You can probably talk to TheSeven directly and see if he can point you in the right direction.

I would love a guide on how to mine peercoin using cudaminer.

Am thinking about gambling with my jalapeno (solo mining ppc) in the upcoming months, if ppc starts to become unprofitable to mine in a pool. A while back someone suggested setting up a solo eloipool for myself, but I’m unsure how to go about doing that (or even if it’s worth doing). Any thoughts from other miners would be appreciated!

I’m also interested in learning how to point my 4 th/s miners to solo peercoin. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I run a new pool for peercoin call scotpool.eu, it’s a small pool with a very low fee 0.5% ddos protected and vardiff enabled if your interested in throwing some hashing towards it.

I’ve spent a lot of time - WAY more time than I should have - trying to get an R-box mining solo without success.

I’ve tried this on Windows 7 and 8.

PPCoin.conf:
server=1
listen=1
daemon=1
rpcuser=user
rpcpassword=password
rpcallowip=localhost
rpcport=9902

cgminer .bat:
cgminer.exe -o 127.0.0.1:9902 -u user -p password

I only get a message saying waiting for work from the pool, then cgminer quits.

Does anyone have a working solo mining setup Windows 7 or 8? I’ve used this exact configuration (except for the port) for a couple other coins and it worked fine. I’m at a loss what the problem is. Web searches haven’t turned up anything specific. ???

Have you tried a stratum proxy?

i setup a slush stratum-mining pool with a GBT patch from theseven a while back for solo but when the network changed to 0.4 it stopped working, every block i submitted was invalid. i never did figure it out.

Really would like to know how to get that going again…

it has been a long time ago but dont you mine directly to some peercoin address when solo mining, so your username would be your peercoin address? and password, idk… x?

Thanks for the replies.

No, I didn’t need it to mine other coins and it didn’t occur to me to try it. Is it necessary to mine Peercoin?

I tried this also, one of many .conf variations, same result.

That depends on your mining client. If it’s expecting stratum answer from the peercoind, it won’t get it.

I didn’t use stratum parameters, but your post did jog my mind to look at the cgminer documentation. It occurred to me that while I’ve had working solo configurations for other coins I was using sgminer, not cgminer. I was able to get going using the Bitcoin solo example.

This is working for cgminer on Windows 8.1. Copy this to Notepad, name it PPCoin.conf (make sure to save as All files and not text) and save to %AppData%\Roaming\PPCoin.
server=1
listen=1
daemon=1
rpcuser=ppcaddress
rpcpassword=password
rpcallowip=localhost
rpcport=9902

(use your own PPC wallet address and your own password)

Copy this to Notepad and name it ppcsolo.bat (save as All files, not text, and you can name it anything but make sure it has the .bat extension), and save it in your cgminer folder.

cgminer.exe -o http://localhost:9902 -u ppcaddress -p password

Use the PPC address and the password you used in your .conf file.

Wait for vast riches. :))

Thanks everyone.