PoS minting through debug window in 0.4?

Very happy to see 0.4 online and thank SK all of those testers for the hard work.
With the “passphrase” bug fixed, I am thinking of encouraging more people to start PoS.
PoS minting through debug window in 0.4?
According to the help output:
walletpassphrase [mintonly]
I tried:
walletpassphrase abc 30s
but didn’t work.
Maybe I used the wrong parameter?
Help will be much appreciated.

It’s not liking the “30s”, use:

[font=courier]walletpassphrase abc 3000[/font]

I’m also not sure if a 30 second duration would be enough.

[quote=“redlee, post:1, topic:2167”]walletpassphrase [mintonly]
I tried:
walletpassphrase abc 30s
but didn’t work.[/quote]

There is no “s”

walletpassphrase abc 30 (this will unlock your wallet for 30 seconds for transfers, minting and dumpprivkey)

walletpassphrase abc 30 true (This will unlock your wallet for 30 seconds for minting only)

Keep in mind that the passphrase “abc” is some thing you chose when you first encrypted your wallet file. If you have never encrypted your wallet with a passphrase, then there is no need to unlock your wallet with either of these methods.

If you are planning on minting coins, you want to use a longer time than 30 seconds. It could take several days or weeks depending on how much coin-age you’ve accumulated.

[quote=“Ben, post:2, topic:2167”]It’s not liking the “30s”, use:

[font=courier]walletpassphrase abc 3000[/font]

I’m also not sure if a 30 second duration would be enough.[/quote]

Thanks!
I tried
walletpassphrase abc 3000000000000
and the wallet now saying “wallet is encrypted and currently unlocked”.

How can I entered the “wallet is encrypted and currently unlocked only for minting” mode? like the old-fashion way?

edit: Thanks ppcman. Just Add “true” at the end…

Certainly, I’ll start minting within days.

2 more questions?

1. What is the default reserve balance of 0.4?
  2. If I want to reserve 10 coins, then I should type" reservebalance 10"?
    Do I have to do this (1. reservebalance 10; 2. walletpassphrase) every time I restart my QT client for PoS minting?

If you want to have a reserve balance because you might want to spend Peercoins, I recommend thinking about something else:
splitting the Peercoins into two wallets:

[ul][li] one with the savings[/li]
[li] one with the Peercoins you use for payments/transfer[/li][/ul]

The reason for that is that even if you spend only a few Peercoins, they might come from an address that contains a lot more Peercoins. The difference between the output transaction and the total Peercoins on that address will be transferred back to you via an input transaction.

As far as I understand that process, this sets the coin age for those coins to 0. As they need a minimum age of 30 days to take part in the minting, that’s not really great.

And that’s why I recommend splitting the Peercoins in different wallets :wink:

For some reason it is not working for me:

Still locked.

Edit: after reastarting the wallet it worked.

[quote=“redlee, post:6, topic:2167”]2 more questions?

1. What is the default reserve balance of 0.4?
  2. If I want to reserve 10 coins, then I should type" reservebalance 10"?
    Do I have to do this (1. reservebalance 10; 2. walletpassphrase) every time I restart my QT client for PoS minting?[/quote]
  3. The default reserve is 0.
  4. Yes, you have to this each time you restart the QT client / wallet.

Instead of just copying and pasting the password into it, I’m pasting the command and password into the debug window. That save a bit of time. The old batch file also still works.

Edit: I agree with MoD comment above re reserve wallets. Better have 2 wallets. I adopted bkchains experimental web wallet for this purpose. Just don’t add a lot of coins into as it is still experimental. You might try the HolyTransaction wallet as an alternative webwallet.

Thanks all for the advice. I will split two wallets.
And the same thing happens like MUTO’s: restarted the client and enter the passphrase and it worked.

So how do you mint when you have never encrypted your wallet?
I have so few coins that losing my password is a greater risk than having them stolen.

[quote=“ProkhorZ, post:11, topic:2167”]So how do you mint when you have never encrypted your wallet?
I have so few coins that losing my password is a greater risk than having them stolen.[/quote]

If you’ve never encrypted your wallet, this is how you mint:

1. Open your wallet

2. Receive some coins

3. Wait until 30 days have passed to start earning coin-age on those coins and leave your wallet running on the computer 24x7

4. You are minting. Depending on how many coins you have, and how old they are, and the # of people luckier than you, is when you will mint your own proof-of-stake block.

There’s nothing to turn on, nothing to push, nothing to configure.

The only reason why you can’t mint, is if you have an encrypted wallet that is locked. (But we’ve already discussed how to unlock one of those so they can mint)

If you’ve never encrypted, you are always minting anyway. You just can’t see it. But that’s how it is designed.

1. Yes, you have to this each time you restart the QT client / wallet.[/quote]

If you put a line in your ppcoin.conf

reservebalance=10

You don’t have to type it every time.

Thanks for the explanation. I haven’t had any luck yet, but at least I understand this method. :smiley:

If your password has a space in it, like “abc 123 456 XYZ 300”

You have to type it as

walletpassphrase “abc 123 456 XYZ 300” 300 true