Peerunity-Qt.app for OS X

After a lot of false starts and dead-ends (and learning, on my part), I’d like to unveil the first screen shots of Peerunity-Qt.app, for OS X.

An new version will be coming soon with the updated branding and labels, but if people are interested, I can bundle up the client as a “beta” for your personal testing. WHEN THIS VERSION IS RELEASED, PLEASE USE AT YOUR OWN PERIL UNTIL THIS BUILD HAS BEEN INDEPENDENTLY VERIFIED. I can attest to the fact that this is an unaltered build, but until I can get a couple other sets of eyes on the code, you’ll have to take my word that I haven’t compromised the application in any way.

Please note: This is built on the current Peerunity master branch, which is running off a fork of the Peercoin v0.4 codebase. The reference client code will not build as-is, and requires updates that are included in pending pull requests. As it stands, it is impossible to build a version of the Qt.app for OS X without modifying files, so I don’t want anyone to get the impression that this is the “official Sunny King vetted” version of the Peercoin wallet, but rather, a v0.4-compatible community build.

I plan on including a copy of the daemon file, as well, in the final build. That way, you’ll be able to use the Qt.app client or the command line daemon. Instructions for use will be included in the .dmg.

Thank you all for your patience!

Thank you for your work!!! I was also trying to compile the qt on my mac, but, as I’m not a programmer nor I have experience with compiling stuff, I gave up! :slight_smile:

BETA BUILDS

OS X Peerunity Qt.app Build (Beta)
MD5: 13b65180cda561cdead48bea9818d74f

OS X Peerunity daemon (Beta)
MD5: e0265ea615fc3aadfe51588bc1a516c3

These builds are based on the current :master branch of the Peerunity code. The client is compatible with v0.4 of the Peercoin protocol. They are intended to be used as test clients, but are viable, and can connect to the Peercoin network (realnet), if you don’t mind the label and branding issues. Once those are resolved, and the RC build of Peerunity is ready, I’ll replace these with release versions.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, or if you run across any issues with the .dmg or daemon.

Enjoy!

Can someone let me know if you’re able to install the app? I want to confirm that it’s working on a separate machine, where you haven’t already installed all of the dependencies (they should be statically included with the .app, but I don’t have a machine that doesn’t have them already installed, so I’m unsure if it’s actually using the package).

Thanks!

My Mac OS version crashes every time I launch it, so my impression on PPC dev team is not good. My critiria of selecting an altcoin is to verify whether their wallet has a Mac OS version because that represents the ability of dev. team.

XPM has no Mac OS wallet at all, what a shame.

[quote=“sabreiib, post:5, topic:2254”]My Mac OS version crashes every time I launch it, so my impression on PPC dev team is not good. My critiria of selecting an altcoin is to verify whether their wallet has a Mac OS version because that represents the ability of dev. team.

XPM has no Mac OS wallet at all, what a shame.[/quote]

Are you talking about the one you downloaded here from Ben or the previous v0.3 one?

http://peercoin.net/downloads

From here

Can you tell me a little bit about the crash you are experiencing? Is a log generated?

I’ve been running the v0.3 version for months without a problem, and I’m aware of many others who are using the same build that you are. It’s quite possible that it’s related to your specific configuration, but I expect that we’ll be able to get you up and running in short order.

What version of OS X do you have installed?

Ben,

Thank you for your efforts. We need a Mac Qt soon. I’ve tried upgrading… got the new daemon to the correct file and replaced the existing files by dragging the Qt over to applications and selecting “replace”. It should have done the trick. However, when I try launching the qt it just bounces there in the application dock at the bottom of the screen endlessly. It never actually launches. I wonder if I might be doing something wrong?

Anyway, I was able to restore by downloading v0.3, so no hard done.

Also, just a point of feedback… you might look for a clearer logo image. Mine was clear on the dock, but at the size I have the application logos in my applications folder it appeared blurry and not “crisp” like all the other logos.

Cheers,
Taylor05

Thanks, Taylor05, that’s the same thing that I’m seeing, so something’s not right with the build.

I’ll tweak some of the QT compilation settings tonight and see if I can get one out that works when it’s been turned into a .dmg.

Re: icons, we’ll have better ones in the RC and release builds. Right now it’s using the same ones that the Peercoin reference client has, but the next builds will use the new Peerunity logos. I’m actually talking to the team right now about it, so it’s a timely request.

Thanks for confirming that there’s a problem, and I’ll get a new build out as soon as possible.

[quote=“sabreiib, post:5, topic:2254”]My Mac OS version crashes every time I launch it, so my impression on PPC dev team is not good. My critiria of selecting an altcoin is to verify whether their wallet has a Mac OS version because that represents the ability of dev. team.

XPM has no Mac OS wallet at all, what a shame.[/quote]
I have been using PeerCoin 0.3 QT OSX for ages its fine

[quote=“Ben, post:8, topic:2254”]Can you tell me a little bit about the crash you are experiencing? Is a log generated?

I’ve been running the v0.3 version for months without a problem, and I’m aware of many others who are using the same build that you are. It’s quite possible that it’s related to your specific configuration, but I expect that we’ll be able to get you up and running in short order.

What version of OS X do you have installed?[/quote]

macbook air 2013, latest version. Mac os wallet is a headache and I’ve given up. Now using windows.

Sorry to hear that. Once the release candidate of PeerUnity is out, I hope you’ll give it another try.

[quote=“Ben, post:3, topic:2254”]BETA BUILDS

OS X Peerunity Qt.app Build (Beta)
MD5: 13b65180cda561cdead48bea9818d74f

OS X Peerunity daemon (Beta)
MD5: e0265ea615fc3aadfe51588bc1a516c3

These builds are based on the current :master branch of the Peerunity code. The client is compatible with v0.4 of the Peercoin protocol. They are intended to be used as test clients, but are viable, and can connect to the Peercoin network (realnet), if you don’t mind the label and branding issues. Once those are resolved, and the RC build of Peerunity is ready, I’ll replace these with release versions.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, or if you run across any issues with the .dmg or daemon.

Enjoy![/quote]

I can confirm that on Maverick,

PPcoin-QT - not responding

ppcoind -

./ppcoind 
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/berkeley-db4/lib/libdb_cxx-4.8.dylib
 Referenced from: /Users/aueng/Downloads/./ppcoind
 Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5

After (way too many) hours, I’ve got a working build environment set up (so it appears).

I was just able to build the daemon without a problem, and it’s currently running on the testnet.

About to try to build the QT app… fingers crossed.

do you have build instruction for osx ?

A work in progress as I fix things that break.