Peercoins FAQ

Good idea. Here is one, I’m also struggling with. Would be great to have this answered. Or would that be more an instruction than a FAQ

How to use the paper wallet / or how to transfer PPC into cold storage?

BTW This link from the FAQ doesn’t work:

A: http://www.proofofstake.com/ shows PPC to BTC trading price.

Maybe best to refer to the home page of the forum?

[quote=“Cybnate, post:22, topic:47”]BTW This link from the FAQ doesn’t work:

A: http://www.proofofstake.com/ shows PPC to BTC trading price.

Maybe best to refer to the home page of the forum?[/quote]
Done ty for the spot.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:21, topic:47”]Good idea. Here is one, I’m also struggling with. Would be great to have this answered. Or would that be more an instruction than a FAQ

How to use the paper wallet / or how to transfer PPC into cold storage?[/quote]

I have requested a guide to be written for this and they will live in the “Getting Started Guides” Subforum once the dev work is finished and guide written :slight_smile:

Fuzzybear

This thread really clarified some questions I had, in particular regarding to the proof of stake aspect of PPC. Thanks for the helpful FAQ Op!

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:1, topic:47”]Q: What’s the Difference between PPCoin and Bitcoin?

A: PPCoin is a crypto-currency project forked from Bitcoin and we aim to achieve energy-efficiency and keep as much as possible the original Bitcoin’s preferable properties.[/quote]

I did not come to Peercoin because of its “energy-efficiency”. True, Peercoin is far more energy efficient than Bitcoin and that is good - no doubt.

In my view Peercoin has other even more important long-term qualities:

Peercoin’s design offers Stronger Security in the long-run; and

Peercoin’s design enables more deep-money value, or “backbone” store of value.

Don’t get me wrong - I love energy efficiency - I drive an electric car, and I’m always going around turning off the lights. But, Peercoin’s design is much more advanced than Bitcoin’s design and the long-term Stronger Security and long-term better Store-of-Value are what win the day for me.

So, the better question and answer to me would be:

[b]Q: What's the Difference between Peercoin and Bitcoin?[/b]

A: Peercoin is created from the revolutionary invention Bitcoin. Peercoin offers a newer more advanced design enabling better energy-efficiency, a deeper backbone Store-of-Value and long-term Stronger Security.

Hi all

I’m posting this here because I have a strange problem: I can’t see where the post new topic button is. Can anyone help me with that.

I’m trying to mine prime coins. I’ve typed the thing into the debug window and I’m getting a value for “primespersec”. When will I see coins show up in my wallet.

Thanks for helping me and being patient with a royal noob.

Bought my first PPC last night. Thanks for the information in this thread.

Hi FuzzyBear, what I do not understand right now is how PoW and PoS can work together at the same time. So those are 2 completely different mechanisms that need to work in parallel somehow.

So if for example I have a PoW block and then a PoS block, will the difficulty in the block header just be relayed in the PoS block for the next PoW mining operation? Which criterion decides when to use which technique?

Cheers,
chrisp

Welcome chrisp -

You’re right, PoW and PoS are two completely different mechanisms and as such they actually follow two distinct difficulty values which are each continuously adjusted to aim at 10 minute block intervals. In other words, PoW difficulty continues to increase in relation to the timing between both PoS and PoW blocks. PoW is primarily intended for a fair initial coin distribution while PoS will provide long-term, energy-efficient security.

Have a look at https://peerchain.co or http://bkchain.org/ppc to get a feel for the current proportion of PoW to PoS blocks and the current difficulty values of each.

Hope this answers your question!

Hi learnmore. Thank you, I think looking at the chain is interesting especially here.

#125683 - PoS - http://bkchain.org/ppc/block/eb3cbaa8f7b390442f253bf9c9017ebf1955f896270eb0df6ac1fa8eae0eb321
#125684 - PoW - http://bkchain.org/ppc/block/0000000000000018f5eeaf6131d5c35fa9d7a30b5fdaf9adee549144f16cc559
#125685 - PoS - http://bkchain.org/ppc/block/53ca268c6c47a81a9066a3d19833e578452ec982232f49f0c59b557fca6ee569

So it’s interesting to see, that PoS blocks have 1c154f82 and 1c154a27 as a treshold value and PoW method has the completely different 191e2196. Also the difficulty of 142540048.0 in PoW is much different to the one in PoS 12.0126304626, which is of course clear from a conceptional point of view. But the reference of the PoW block is still the block hash from the PoS block, that appeared before. So I still wonder how the PoW blocks are connected. So when I join mining now and there are 10 PoS blocks recently, will my mining software look as long as it finds the latest PoW block even if it means skipping the 10 PoS blocks?

Is there some document or page where the connection between both methods is further explained?

I’m not entirely sure I understand your question, but I will try to provide more clarification according to my understanding:

PoW blocks can be mined with standard SHA-256 mining equipment/software. Just as with Bitcoin, cpu mining in the wallet is futile at this point in time. PoS blocks, on the other hand, are limited to only 1 useful hash per unspent output per second and therefore you need only wait until your coins are at least 31 days old to begin minting using only the standard wallet. You may choose to mine (PoW) or mint (PoS) depending on your resources. If you choose to do both, you will be utilizing two distinct processes which are essentially “competing” against each other for the next block: PoS through the wallet and PoW through specialized mining software/pools. Both PoW and PoS targets are continuously adjusted try to achieve 10 minute blocks regardless of whether previous blocks were PoS or PoW. If you keep studying the blockchain you will see that the formula is not perfect and there are many examples of shorter and longer durations between blocks. Nevertheless, whether PoS or PoW gets “lucky” first, new blocks are always added to the chain with the highest consumed coin-age.

Is there some document or page where the connection between both methods is further explained?

I don’t believe there is too much more sophistication to the connection between PoW and PoS than I’ve attempted to explain above, but one thing I know for sure is that there is a wealth of information in this forum that has clarified many of my questions in the past. If I can find a thread with more information on this particular subject I’ll let you know!

Hi there!

Could anyboby help me in solving this problem with the ppcoin-qt?

Block chain is not downloading at all.
It says that the Checkpoint is too old, and that I Shall notify the developers.

Any idea?

[quote=“macanga, post:32, topic:47”]Hi there!

Could anyboby help me in solving this problem with the ppcoin-qt?

Block chain is not downloading at all.
It says that the Checkpoint is too old, and that I Shall notify the developers.

Any idea?[/quote]

don’t know if this is still actual today (old post from 2013), but you can try adding nodes:

[quote=“Sunny King”]We are experiencing extended downtime with seed nodes again. If you experience initial connection issues with client try add the following nodes to connect to ppcoin network (in ppcoin.conf):

addnode=66.90.146.146
addnode=91.156.102.128
addnode=110.174.124.20
addnode=67.14.164.114
addnode=37.209.40.22
addnode=50.71.216.165
addnode=109.108.236.208
addnode=173.28.37.150
addnode=68.102.86.156
addnode=213.251.187.24
addnode=188.134.122.31
addnode=72.38.179.122
addnode=76.74.177.224[/quote]

You may try adding the nodes as above, but I understand that some nodes are already coded in the client. I guess you have already started and stopped the wallet. Before proceeding it is best to ensure you have backed up the *.dat file containing your keys. Only when you have 't transferred any funds and you don’t have a balance you may delete this.

Anyway the addnodes shouldn’t be required. Alternative is to try again, stop the wallet, but delete the blockchain files (not the *.dat containing your wallet including your keys) and start client and re-download blockchain. That works most of the time and is less complicated than trying a couple of commands in an effort to repair it. Just my opinion.

Thanks Irritant!

And could you please explain to me how to change nodes in a Macbook pro?

Thanks Cybnate!

Could you please explain to me wher to find those files that I’am suposed to delete?

x

[quote=“macanga, post:36, topic:47”]Thanks Cybnate!

Could you please explain to me wher to find those files that I’am suposed to delete?

x[/quote]
Should have taken your clue in your alias that you are dealing with a Mac. Unfortunately I can’t help you with that as I .have no experience with Mac. A tip can be to google where the Mac Bitcoin client stores its files. That might guide you into the right direction. Otherwise I hope one of the other members are able to help you out.

How to find files on Mac: http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/2j5jpz/wallet_file_on_a_mac/

Thanks mates, it worked perfectly!
Crypto bless you all!

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the peercoin wallet. I have peerunity. I recently did a transaction which destroyed coinage within one of my old transactions within my wallet and then I saw the difference between the money I transacted and the remaining within that particular old transaction within my wallet being transacted to another wallet which I don’t even have but I do still see my total balance within my wallet with the total amount of peercoins that I actually have. Is this normal or has this happened to anyone before?