Peercoin needs adoption

I tried to write directly to sunnyking regarding this idea, but with no answer so far. With bitcoin in trouble, no other crypto has much chance of survival here. I believe that this could change if a big company like a social network or tech firm would start adopting and promoting an alternative cryptocurrency as money to be used among its users. Think about it, linkedin for example. Why open the door to bitcoin (getting maybe a few thousand $ worth of payments in bitcoin) when they could do something even better? Like investing directly in peercoin and primecoin, and later offer them as medium of exchange between their users for membership fees, ads, tipping, etc? what do you think?

In my opinion we need to stop trying to replace bitcoin and instead start trying to promote peercoin as a alternative that can be used alongside bitcoin. Bitcoin suffers from first syndrome, although peercoin in many respects is much better than bitcoin people wont move from bitcoin to peercoin solely because bitcoin was the first cryptocurrency. Once people realise that there is room for more than one crypto out there thats the day peercoin will be adopted.

extra adoption brings sell pressure if it is similar like the microsoft thing, where they instant sell the btc for usd, what we need is companies paying their employees with ppc,

also, why not, once invested in the coin (hoarding like 40% of the supply, try to buy 40% of the BTC!!!), they can also use it like for bonuses to employees . they own it and so they can distribute it at will to employees, users, suppliers, generating and stimulating a full adoption along the entire ecosystem they belong to.

a medium size firm with market cap between 5-10B $ with a vast presence on the web is ideal to adopt an alt crypto with an established solid network and great devs. peercoin probably at these prices is the best candidate.

it’ll require no more than 15 m investment with a potential of generating billions of value (much more than bitcoin has so far achieved!).

can we sell this idea to a big firm like linkedin? red hat? twitter? or a telecom company? does anyone have contacts with the management of any of these candidates? first to make this move could be a huge winner. there are companies with hundreds if not billions of cash sitting on the sidelines and no use for it (that’s why there’s record of stock buy back out there). what’s 15m to them? peanuts.

I bet the big companies don’t like the existing community of any existing cryptocoins because the community will get in the way of companies’ wish of dominant control. The companies will create their own cryptocoins.

You are right about the sell pressure. But the same is true for salaries: employees need money to buy stuff… These PPC would need to be sold for USD (or whatever currency) as well.

also, why not, once invested in the coin (hoarding like 40% of the supply, try to buy 40% of the BTC!!!), they can also use it like for bonuses to employees . they own it and so they can distribute it at will to employees, users, suppliers, generating and stimulating a full adoption along the entire ecosystem they belong to.

a medium size firm with market cap between 5-10B $ with a vast presence on the web is ideal to adopt an alt crypto with an established solid network and great devs. peercoin probably at these prices is the best candidate.

it’ll require no more than 15 m investment with a potential of generating billions of value (much more than bitcoin has so far achieved!).

can we sell this idea to a big firm like linkedin? red hat? twitter? or a telecom company? does anyone have contacts with the management of any of these candidates? first to make this move could be a huge winner. there are companies with hundreds if not billions of cash sitting on the sidelines and no use for it (that’s why there’s record of stock buy back out there). what’s 15m to them? peanuts.[/quote]

Why did Microsoft go with accepting crypto payments for game? Why didn’t they start a “Microsoft Banking services on your OS using financial cryptography?”

That was kind of a rhetorical question. While Microsoft could enable banking services on their desktops, or even push cryptos onto their phones, creating an incentive for half of the world (that is still unbanked) to buy their phones - they decided to go with BitPay and associate an address with a piece of content. That’s like using 1% of the full power of cryptos. Why not more?

Again that was kind of a rhetorical question. I have it on good authority that this technology is so new, that big companies doesn’t understand the potential of this new tech, because the people working in the companies don’t. There are a few people here and there, but as long as people with the mandate to push things through, doesn’t grok it - the process will be that of seeing what other companies does and then try catch up with that.

One thing I fail to realize, over and over again, is how little people still now. When I talk to people that are very knowledgeable of high-tech stuff - they still have no clue what so ever.

Instead of thinking of this as a problem, it is an excellent opportunity to think of it as a great possibility. If there is a use-case, something to be solved, that you think would fit perfectly with a big company or even a small. Then start your own company! I’m not being ironic, I really mean it. Even if its an idea that is to big for a small start up, just do it and then sell the company to a big company.

Some time ago I came up with air gaped hardware wallets. I should have done it. I came up with a multi-exchange trading web app. I should have done that too… …the list goes on. All these ideas are like super obvious and the only reason that no-one else have done the great idea You have, is because You are on the for front on the bleeding edge.

Big companies are still way behind (you wouldn’t believe some of the stories I have), it isn’t the money that is lacking, it is realizing how transformative this will be big money to be made. Talking on this forum about cryptos their strengths and weaknesses, as crazy as it sounds, is at the very forefront of what’s going on.

Hi

I’ve lurked for a while in the forum with only a couple of posts.

I think the strategy for adoption that I’ve seen advocated misses the mark. The two most important points of adoption are 1) adding value where none existed before (like microtipping, remittances, and other places where a market failure exists) and 2) getting the coins into people’s hands. Start ups are addressing #1) with bitcoin but not with peercoin (at least, not as far as I’ve seen).

#2) we see people talking about companies accepting bitcoin (or peercoin), getting companies to accept or pay in bitcoin/peercoin. I think a better rout would be to recruit companies that are, like peercoin, peer-to-peer with enticing offers. If someone had $1m to approach Uber, Lyft, LooseCubes, Etsy, AirBnB, Getaround, Taskrabbit or any other. and offered them a deal, Match 15% of bills paid for in peercoin(or bitcoin) with the condition that 5% is taken off the purchasers bill, 5% to goes the business, 5% to the service provider paid in peercoin. That would be $1million to stir up $6.6666 million in peercoin business, and not only that, it would leave $6.666 million in peercoin in the hands of people who can spend it.

The idea, in a nutshell, is approach the peer-to-peer economy and offer them something their users, them and their service providers want. I think $1 m, to any one of those services would do wonders to getting peercoin adopted and would get the price of the coins on a new trajectory. Hell, $10k would leave a pretty big mark for peercoin right about now.

Would like to know if anyone has had a similar idea or has tried something like this.

Thanks for reading

agreed with the ideas, however I d like to see more ways to pay in peercoin. Apart from ShapeShift lens, I dont know any. Nor do I see any libraries, modules or such building blocks to build services upon.

It would be a great start if some party such as Bitpay would accept peercoin

Great ideas peritonlogon and thehuntergames. You know you can either ask for the Market Fund (in the marketing subforum) to support you to do some of these, or start a project on peer4commit, becoming the manager, get donations, and pay people to do the job if it is coding/writing kind of work (because peer4commit is github based tipping).

However it is better to discuss with the community first with a dedicated thread first.

i think ppc adoption is happening since pos difficulty continues to increase.
more people open their wallets to mint.
glad to read some nice ideas here also :slight_smile:

if a social network like linkedin with a wide users base (340m) decides to invest some pocket change (like 10m $) in ppc and spread it among its users it will give it an instant adoption vastly bigger than bitcoin. like 100x wider than the current users base of bitcoin (with no more than 250k users all around the world). just think about it.

1. Why hasn’t linkedin done such an investment, yet?
  2. Why would we see an instant adoption of peercoin? what does it mean?

[quote=“crypto_coiner, post:13, topic:3170”]1) Why hasn’t linkedin done such an investment, yet?
2) Why would we see an instant adoption of peercoin? what does it mean?[/quote]

So many questions, so few answers.

interesting questions indeed. and the answers may be many. skepticism, lack of understanding, etc.

anyway, you must consider that, besides second life with their linden, another social introduced its own currency:

so the concept has been embraced by a few, but introducing virtual currencies that don’t rely on the blockchain technology.

is it just a matter of time before someone takes a step further? why don’t we try to push for ppc adoption within a social network (with a user base of at least 1m people)?

here’s a list of social networks:

best candidate, IMO, 1m users minimum, a second tier company (not the market leader) willing to embrace an aggressive strategy (like crypto adoption) in order to gain market quota. and of course a company with a few m $ to spend and invest without compromising its financial health. a social that has room for exchanging the currency within its users would be definitely a plus.

and there you are:

http://www.neucoin.org/en/

the race to adopt a POS by a social network has begun. as peecoiners we should do something before it’s too late, maybe it’s already too late.

remember what I wrote in another thread?

bitcoin right now has, according to my estimates, about 250k users. here comes linkedin, they silently buy 10m litecoin (the price will shoot up let's say to 0.02 btc while many people wonder what's happening to that crappy coin) and then distribute them to their users, let's say 100m people, or 400 times as much as btc distribution. on the announcement litecoin will shoot even further to 0.25 btc, its theoretical value, or even higher.

now what’s likely to happen? well, I believe that since btc security provided by its mining it’s way higher than ltc, people will start selling ltc to get btc. yes ltc mining will increase rapidly, but most likely not enough to match btc’s hashrate and security. so slowly ltc will come back down to a reasonable price. also, due to the switching from ltc to btc by most of those 100m people, btc will be much better distributed, even to the point of overtaking ltc new distribution.

after a few weeks facebook creates a new coin, facecoin, a copycat of btc and distribute it even to a wider user base, 1B people. lots of mining will swiftly switch from btc to facecoin as the price of the new coin will make it hugely profitable, but this won’t last long. people will most likely start selling facecoin for bitcoin (while the miners are selling for fiat) and we will end up exactly as before.

now, let’s say 2 years from now btc is dead and ppc has taken its place with about the same price and distribution btc has now. repeat the two stages. first linkedin adopt an existing copycat of ppc called linkcoin and distribute it to 100m people. istantly it will be 400 times more secure than ppc and even more fairly distributed. so it will takes its place. when facebook creates its facecoin, the same happens. facecoin will replace linkcoin because it has even a wider user base and a fairer distribution. and then, I don’t know but nobody today has more network than facebook (maybe some chinese social network?), in any case I believe the copycat process will end up with a winning POS that had the widest and fairest distribution.

Neucoin is apparently not a currency.
For a genuine currency, go for NuBits spawn by Peercoin.

But regardless, 2.5MUSD is impressive.

I’m convinced the long term winner will be a POS distributed through one or many social network. the first coin to undergo such an operation on a vast scale could be the winner if it gets enough advantage to build a powerful network effect. we have the best coin around, peercoin, it had just to be sold to a social in order to be distributed among its users. I’m afraid time’s up. someone thought it was better to create a new one,and it’s a peercoin fork

Is it a fork of something or written completely from scratch?

Neucoin is a Peercoin fork.

http://forum.neucoin.org/t/technology-development-general-thread/16/4

From Neucoin website :

In June 2012, Peercoin introduced the first alternative to proof-of-work, called proof-of-stake (“PoS”) mining. In PoS, miners compete for newly issued coins based not on computing power utilized, but on the number of coins owned. This innovation effectively eliminated the operating costs (computing and electricity) of mining, replacing them with the capital costs of holding coins. In PoS, an attacker would have to acquire a high percentage of the total coin supply, versus a high percentage of total computing power in a PoW design. Hence, security levels are dependent on the market value of the coin. Once a PoS coin achieves a material value, it would be extremely expensive for an attacker to buy up a large percentage of all coins, as the attacker’s massive purchases would cause the price to rise and rise.

Since there are virtually no operating costs for PoS mining, transaction fees can start and stay extremely low. Moreover, PoS doesn’t suffer from the same trend towards centralization that PoW does, because all PoS miners earn the same rate of return on their coins (akin to an “interest rate”) regardless of computing hardware. Last and perhaps most important, PoS opens up the possibility of distributing coins to participants outside of miners. They could be distributed in any way the coin’s creator might devise.

As for Peercoin, its anonymous creator (under the pseudonym “Sunny King”) failed to use this last advantage to Peercoin’s benefit. Peercoin actually implemented an auxiliary PoW mining component, not to help with security, but simply as a mechanism of distributing coins to PoW miners, who constituted the majority of people interested in crypto-currencies at the time of Peercoin’s launch. On the strength of its PoS innovation, Peercoin reached a $150 million market cap. But without a team, funding, or a plan to attract users and grow utility, it has fallen back to less than $20 million.

From neucoin forum:

[i]Is it a fork of something or written completely from scratch?[/i]

Neucoin is a Peercoin fork.

What programming languages are being used?

For the coin tech, C++

Will NeuCoin be transaction based (ie Bitcoin; transaction input must be some other transactions output) or account based (Ripple, NXT; accounts have balances and transactions just are signed transfer insturctions)?

Transaction based, stems from Peercoin and Bitcoin design.

Any blockchain trimming ideas? Micro-transactions = high volume of transactions, thus a lot of historical data that might not be necessary.

We are definitely doing R&D on that, we’ll communicate more officially on that at coin launch!

What kind of cryptography is being [for private-public keys] used to secure accounts?

ECDSA, like Bitcoin and Peercoin

Will NeuCoin feature Bitcoin like scripting language?

Yes but like Bitcoin we’ll have a defined set of standard transactions that can be relayed.

Will multi-signature accounts/addresses be supported from launch day or are they scheduled for later?

Yes, multisigs are a basic feature these days.

And $2.25M would definitely help Peercoin development :wink:

“As long as NeuBits and NeuShares are off the table, all the best of luck to them!”