Peercoin Conference Presentation (Last Updated: 05/28/14)

River, I was just wondering if you’ve updated this since sportscliche posted his slide summaries. Once it’s completely ready I want to put it in a sticky on this board.

We need one slide on PoW. I’m not sure what to write. If someone can suggest 4-5 bullet points to put on a slide then I’ll put it in the presentation along with the other changes sportscliche suggested. Maybe sportscliche would be willing to write the script for that one slide as well.

Try PM’ing him on Reddit. I think he hangs out there more.

Sure, I’ll help out with a new slide on PoW and its associated dialogue.

I’ve read a few comments in other threads that suggest the sales pitch in a Peercoin presentation or video should not be “negative”, ie. focusing too much on Bitcoin and the shortcomings of PoW. I think this is exactly what it should do. If there’s nothing wrong with Bitcoin, then there’s absolutely no point in working on alternatives.

Compare and contrast. Bitcoin’s network effect is powerful and that’s a lot to overcome. You are selling Peercoin and Peershares. If the competition is well-established and respected, the only way to have an impact is to show why the other guy isn’t very good and why your approach is better. Preferably much better.

Just so you guys know, I believe Super3 is still going to the cryptocurrency convention in New York on April 9th. His name is still listed as a speaker…

http://www.cryptocurrencyconvention.com/

He hasn’t contacted me about whether or not he’s going to need this presentation, but it would be nice to have it ready for him just in case he does need it.

[quote=“sportscliche, post:44, topic:1760”]Sure, I’ll help out with a new slide on PoW and its associated dialogue.

I’ve read a few comments in other threads that suggest the sales pitch in a Peercoin presentation or video should not be “negative”, ie. focusing too much on Bitcoin and the shortcomings of PoW. I think this is exactly what it should do. If there’s nothing wrong with Bitcoin, then there’s absolutely no point in working on alternatives.

Compare and contrast. Bitcoin’s network effect is powerful and that’s a lot to overcome. You are selling Peercoin and Peershares. If the competition is well-established and respected, the only way to have an impact is to show why the other guy isn’t very good and why your approach is better. Preferably much better.[/quote]

Thanks. Here is what irritant put in his presentation:

•The PoW used in Bitcoin and Peercoin is hashcash
•Specialized mining hardware (ASICS) is required to PoW mine, not everybody can mine PoW
•On the long-term PoW alone might not be enough to secure the network

As a side note, I think we should mention that you can mint with a Raspberry Pi somewhere in the script.

@river333, I think mentioning Raspberry Pi is great. It provides a very unique marketing pitch and fits well with the efficient image of Peercoin. Not many coins have a Raspberry Pi version of their wallet and zero coins have a wallet which actively and usefully contributes to the security of the network (can mint) on a Raspberry Pi.

Edit: only thing is that non-technical people might not know what it is. A picture or a reference might help.

Yes, please explain. I’m one of them.

It’s a decent-spec, single-board computer that sells for a mere $25, less peripherals:

This is indeed a fantastic selling point for PPC.

I put irritant’s PoW slides on imgur as I know people don’t like downloading the whole file: http://imgur.com/a/hXZZM

He has a picture of the Pi on the PoS slide. I think it looks good.

[quote=“sportscliche, post:49, topic:1760”]It’s a decent-spec, single-board computer that sells for a mere $25, less peripherals:

This is indeed a fantastic selling point for PPC.[/quote]
And you can buy a nice box for it, if the barebone chips are not your taste.

@river333, remember the slides now, I think they are good. From Asics to Raspberry Pi, from Bitcoin to Peercoin.
We might even mention Raspberry Pi in the video. Just need to see if it would fit into it logically. It might be hard to explain in 5 seconds.

I think we should make sure the video is something that is designed to last. How long will it take for this Raspberry Pi to become outdated, thus making the video outdated?

Should we re-think the assertion that Bitcoin transactions are expensive?

[quote=“sportscliche, post:53, topic:1760”]Should we re-think the assertion that Bitcoin transactions are expensive?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2296xp/no_the_cost_of_each_bitcoin_transaction_is_not_40/[/quote]
Yeah, I think we need to say that their network is way more expensive to run. That is more precise.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:54, topic:1760”][quote=“sportscliche, post:53, topic:1760”]Should we re-think the assertion that Bitcoin transactions are expensive?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2296xp/no_the_cost_of_each_bitcoin_transaction_is_not_40/[/quote]
Yeah, I think we need to say that their network is way more expensive to run. That is more precise.[/quote]

If we don’t want to put the cost per transaction in then we need a new graphic or something for slide 8.

Peercoin takes a completely different approach. Instead of nodes fighting each other for coins, they quietly maintain the network by simply verifying transactions. So little computing power is required for this service that even hardware with minimal capability can participate.

The mention of the Raspberry Pi should fit in nicely here in the script for slide 3.

Can someone please make a slide for PoW. I would do it myself but I don’t know enough about it…I’m all about PoS :wink:

I’ve drafted some PoW vs PoS slides that can be incorporated into the presentation:

The associated narration:

Slide 1. One of the great appeals of crypto-currency is that it is implemented on a decentralized network. There is no central server or location where network administration takes place. This slide illustrates the concept of a decentralized network – the colored ovals represent the nodes of the network. Each node is a computer or server connected to the Internet while running the client software. These nodes communicate with each other to send and verify every transaction. And no node is greater or more important than the other. If one gets disconnected, the network hardly notices.

Slide 2. Each node wants to get paid for its service to the network. Bitcoin pays its nodes using Proof of Work, where lucky nodes get rewarded 25 Bitcoins every 10 minutes on average. In Proof of Work these nodes are called miners. Each miner is competing against other miners to be the first to solve a complicated math puzzle. Whoever solves it first gets the reward. Then the game starts over.

Slide 3. Although the rewards are supposed to be random, there is more than luck involved. Miners can increase their chances by using faster, customized, and more energy-hungry computer hardware. In addition, miners can pool their computing power together in alliances. In this slide, pooling has reduced the number of independent alliances to just three – represented by blue, red, and yellow. Because it is the biggest, the Blue Pool has the best chance of getting a reward. Its member miners get paid in proportion to how much computing power they contribute.

This exposes a potential problem: If a cooperating pool of miners acquires more than 51% of the network’s computing power, the network becomes vulnerable to attack. Coins can be double-spent and the integrity of the currency collapses. The miners also expend the vast amount of their energy trying to earn rewards – many times more energy than is needed to simply maintain the network.

Slide 4. Peercoin takes a completely different approach, which is called Proof of Stake. Each node in the network has but one task: verify transactions. Anyone with a Peercoin wallet can participate. Participants are rewarded based on the number of Peercoins they hold. This is called “minting” and produces a 1% annual return, which is the reward for their Proof-of-Stake. So little computing power is required to maintain Peercoin’s network that even hardware with minimal capability can participate. There is no reason for the wallets to form alliances, so the threat of a 51% attack essentially vanishes.

Note: I don’t see this as a simple drop-in to the existing presentation. It will have to be edited in places and some slides shuffled around.

I put these slides into the presentation, and tried to fit them in with the existing theme a bit.

Let me know what other changes/shuffling you want me to make, or if there are any mistakes.

At the end there it says Easy-to-Understand Video User Guides. Is there something else we can put there? That’s not the only thing we do here.

I know, replace it with Peerunity. That should have a little mention at the end there. River, could you make that simple change and then attach Sportscliche’s writing to each slide so we can properly go through and check it to make sure everything flows smoothly? If there’s no more changes after that then I think this thing is done for now until it needs to be updated later.

I know, replace it with Peerunity. That should have a little mention at the end there. River, could you make that simple change and then attach Sportscliche’s writing to each slide so we can properly go through and check it to make sure everything flows smoothly? If there’s no more changes after that then I think this thing is done for now until it needs to be updated later.[/quote]

Here you go: http://imgur.com/a/6jI4w

Sportscliche’s new PoS slide (6) overlaps with the old one (7), that’s why there is no script there. Should I just delete slide 7?