Peercoin Conference Presentation (Last Updated: 05/28/14)

Here is a suggestion from tomatoesrfun on Reddit…

[quote=“tomatoesrfun”]In terms of the content, /u/Peercoins asks a reasonable question – it would be great to know what the actual spoken information would be. I think that this is our challenge, it’s very difficult to know what to write for someone else. All I can suggest is we can write paragraphs (in plain English, as if spoken) in the presentation notes section, so that anyone presenting would know more or less what they’re supposed to say. Tonight I will try to come up with some information for the slides, but it would be great if other people tried the same things. It can be like that sub that /u/weals recently had where it was a “what is the best way to describe” sort of thing.

TL;DR - maybe people can think of the best way (in 2 to 3 sentences or less) to describe each of the bullet points on the slides. This way will have multiple approaches, and we can choose the best options.[/quote]

Can we get a couple people to do this? Try writing up 2-3 sentences for each bullet point like he said as if it were spoken in plain English. This will be for the presenter. Not everyone knows everything about Peercoin. This will help people out when giving a speech, even if they don’t know all the information themselves.

I’ve loaded the light background into Microsoft OneDrive which has built in PPT online editing. We can use it to collaboratively edit on one doc. Please don’t get cute and delete everything in the document

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1198B965207FB78!231&authkey=!ALl4sJbVoXwkpuc&ithint=file%2C.pptx

tomatoesrfun has come up with phrasing for each of the presentation slides. Please discuss them on his post on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/209xlz/comments_requested_suggestions_on_phrasing_for/

Final Version
View: http://imgur.com/a/ZFGyk
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jow4ccdz924pci6/PeercoinPresentationGray(3).pptx

I’m going to post the latest version on Reddit tomorrow and ask for more feedback on the stuff tomatoesrfun came up with. That’s really the last main thing that can be improved I think.

I’m going to post the latest version on Reddit tomorrow and ask for more feedback on the stuff tomatoesrfun came up with. That’s really the last main thing that can be improved I think.[/quote]

Yes the slides are finished in my opinion.

For future use I think we should take up the offer from u/sportscliche on reddit to write a technical script…Reddit - Dive into anything

I’m going to post the latest version on Reddit tomorrow and ask for more feedback on the stuff tomatoesrfun came up with. That’s really the last main thing that can be improved I think.[/quote]

Yes the slides are finished in my opinion.

For future use I think we should take up the offer from u/sportscliche on reddit to write a technical script…http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/205n9t/peercoin_presentation_updated_we_need_feedback_on/cg08hxj[/quote]

I’ve been occupied this weekend and didn’t get around to posting it on Reddit yet. Are you saying we should wait for sportscliche instead? If so, one of us could send him a message asking him if he could write up a script for the presentation. It sounds like he has a lot of experience in this area.

Also, have you made the finalized prensentation files available for download yet?

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:27, topic:1760”]I’ve been occupied this weekend and didn’t get around to posting it on Reddit yet. Are you saying we should wait for sportscliche instead? If so, one of us could send him a message asking him if he could write up a script for the presentation. It sounds like he has a lot of experience in this area.

Also, have you made the finalized prensentation files available for download yet?[/quote]

Yes the download link is here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2bpzsi62gawx24t/PeercoinPresentationGray(2).pptx
Everything is the same as the imgur album above except the title of slide 5 is now “Why a Transaction Fee?”. Also, I didn’t include the suggested phrasing in the PowerPoint file in case it was open to change, but it is still available in the imgur album.

I think it depends on how happy the person presenting in Amsterdam is with what we have made so far. If he feels he needs greater guidance then we can ask for more feedback on reddit, but I think tomatoesrfun’s stuff is good and covers all the basics already.

If sportscliche is willing to write a full script that could be used in a video like he proposed, then that would be great too. I can reply to his original comment on reddit and he should see that.

Just wanted to say that you guys did an awesome job. Just had a browse through the sheets and saved a copy as I might use it myself when explaining Peercoin to others.

There is one development worth noting regarding sheet 7. The latest numbers indicate that inflation is now under 5%.
There was a post about that based on peerchain data.

Edit: Snakie just published a nice graph here: http://peerchain.net/charts.html

River, there’s something I just noticed. The blockchain size comparison graph needs a date attached to it. If we go presenting this as it is, people from other coins might call out the information as being false. We need to show that it isn’t current information by attaching a date. We can update it in the future if the difference becomes more extreme.

You’re right, I hadn’t thought of that. How’s this? http://imgur.com/2JqXbMz
I’ll add dates to the market cap stats and cost of transaction as well.

Also, I’m starting to think the energy efficiency slide could be open to attack too. I’ve read a few things recently that dispute the data from blockchain.info on Bitcoin’s network cost, on which the Forbes’ article is based. This data has currently been removed from blockchain.info as well. I think that maybe it should be removed. The average cost of transaction can stay. What do you think?

[quote=“Cybnate, post:29, topic:1760”]Just wanted to say that you guys did an awesome job. Just had a browse through the sheets and saved a copy as I might use it myself when explaining Peercoin to others.

There is one development worth noting regarding sheet 7. The latest numbers indicate that inflation is now under 5%.
There was a post about that based on peerchain data.

Edit: Snakie just published a nice graph here: peerchain.net

Is there any way of combining the new data with Bitcoin’s inflation rate, to make a comparison graph similar to the one already on slide 7?

I think the image looks great. The date should help prevent any kind of accusations. Also, if we can’t verify something in the presentation then it should be removed. If we can find out the correct info though, then we should go for it.

Agree, leave the graph, just update the speaker’s notes with the latest information I would say.

Haven’t forgotten about you guys. I’m preoccupied with a lot of things, including trying to launch a small tech business. I’ve got a meeting with a patent attorney coming up, but will try to post a draft script for the presentation on this thread by the end of the week.

Final Version:
View: http://imgur.com/a/ZFGyk
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jow4ccdz924pci6/PeercoinPresentationGray(3).pptx

I was waiting for blockchain.info to start working again so the stats would be up to date, but last week’s will have to do.

Added a bit more to the speaker’s notes and they are now also in the powerpoint file.

Added dates. Removed “15 million dollars per day” claim from slide 8 and replaced it with just “millions of dollars per day”. This should be much less open to dispute.

Good luck to Irritant with his presentation!

Thanks, I sent it to Irritant. Sportscliche, sounds good. As soon as we have an accompanying script, I’ll make a sticky for the presentation on this board so people can find and download it easily.

Slide 1. Hello, my name is *** and I’d like to spend a few minutes talking with you about Peercoin. I’ll give you an overview of how it works, what it does, and how it creatively addresses potential problems that Bitcoin may face in the not-so-distant future. I’ll also discuss a derivative concept of decentralized ownership called Peershares.

Slide 2. Peercoin is based on Bitcoin’s revolutionary technology. Like Bitcoin, Peercoin has an anonymous developer or team of developers going by the pseudonym of “Sunny King”. Sunny King developed Peercoin in 2012 in response to growing concerns being raised on the Bitcoin forums about its sustainability and long-term health. One of these concerns is how Bitcoin’s distributed network will be maintained. Bitcoin uses what’s called “Proof-of-Work”. Peercoin introduced the concept of “Proof-of-Stake” as a long-term replacement for Proof-of-Work. This will be explained in the next slide. The main advantages of Proof-of-Stake are its extraordinary resistance to centralization…the so-called 51% attack that you may have heard about. In addition, Proof-of-Stake greatly reduces the energy demands of the distributed network…the network of decentralized nodes that run the currency.

Slide 3. Bitcoin’s network nodes are racing against each other in an increasingly difficult competition to solve hashes. The winner gets a block of 25 Bitcoins every 10 minutes. Then the competition resumes. This game has the side-benefit of verifying Bitcoin transactions on the blockchain, which maintains the network. But it consumes a lot of computing power and electricity that add up and get very expensive. In addition, miners can combine their efforts and potentially gain control of a majority of the network. This could potentially expose Bitcoin to attack.

Peercoin takes a completely different approach. Instead of nodes fighting each other for coins, they quietly maintain the network by simply verifying transactions. So little computing power is required for this service that even hardware with minimal capability can participate. The nodes get paid periodically in direct proportion to how many Peercoins they own. This is called “minting” and produces a 1% annual return, which is a reward for their Proof-of-Stake.

Slide 4. Peercoin uses a hybrid or blend of Bitcoin’s Proof-of-Work and the Proof-of-Stake systems. Peercoin launched in 2012 as Proof-of-Work but has been gradually transitioning to Proof-of-Stake. It will become entirely Proof-of-Stake after a number of years. Why the combined approach? The reason is Proof-of-Stake doesn’t have a fair way of introducing coins into the community user base. It’s critical to prime the system with an initial distribution to get it going. One option is to generate all the coins immediately and sell them to the earliest adopters, but this isn’t very fair. Despite its shortcomings, Proof-of-Work is very good at jump-starting the system in a fair way. This slide shows how the generation of Peercoins has been transitioning from Proof-of-Work at its launch in 2012 (orange) to Proof-of-Stake (green).

Slide 5. Peercoin has a fixed fee of 0.01 PPC per transaction. This amounts to about 2 cents at current exchange rates, but could become significant if the value of Peercoin increases over time. It is important to note that the fee is immediately destroyed, which offsets new coin generation due to minting. In this way, Peercoin is neither inflationary or deflationary. It also makes the currency very stable by design and potentially a long-term store of value. Another advantage of the fee is to limit frivolous, micro-sized transactions that can result in an enormous blockchain. The importance of this discussed in the next slide.

Slide 6. Every transaction in the entire history of a crypto-currency is recorded in its blockchain. When transactions are nearly free of cost, the size of the blockchain file can grow very large – Bitcoin’s blockchain size is approaching 20 Gigabytes! Because a secure, verifiable transaction requires the presence of the complete blockchain, this places increasing demands on the hardware. Setting up the Bitcoin client is also a problem because downloading its blockchain can take DAYS! Other crypto-currencies based on Proof-of-Work are experiencing similar “blockchain bloat”. The Peercoin blockchain, in contrast, is only about 300 Megabytes even after almost two years of operation.

Slide 7. Some critics say that Peercoin is inflationary while Bitcoin is deflationary, but this slide shows this isn’t true. Peercoin’s transition to primarily Proof-of-Stake caused the rate of coin production to fall BELOW Bitcoin in October of 2013. The current growth rate of Peercoin is less than about 5% annually. Long-term, it is designed to have a negligible 1% inflation rate. The current market capitalization of Peercoin places it third on the list of over 100 decentralized currencies, behind Bitcoin and Litecoin.

It is important to state that Peercoin is not intended to be a replacement for Bitcoin or Litecoin. Each currency is good at some things and not-so-good at others. Peercoin was designed to be a store of value. A rough analogy is that Peercoin is a savings account while Bitcoin and Litecoin are more like checking or spending accounts.

Slide 8. It’s often stated that Bitcoin transactions are free or nearly-free. Although the user doesn’t see much of a fee, this slide shows that transactions are anything-but free! At current prices, the electricity consumption costs about $36 for each transaction. This cost is absorbed by the miners because it is offset by their Bitcoin block rewards. But such a system is unsustainable. As the hashing difficulty increases and mining hardware improves, costs will continue to go up. Economic reality will eventually force out all but the most well-equipped miners and push the network towards centralization. This is a very real possibility as the next slide shows.

Slide 9. In early 2014, the largest mining pool came dangerously close to attaining a majority of the hashing power of the Bitcoin network. The community became aware of this problem as shown in some Reddit posts from that time. In response, the miners voluntarily moved elsewhere, but this threat will always be present in a Proof-of-Work system. Because it’s Proof-of-Stake, Peercoin essentially eliminates such a possibility. To gain control of the network, an entity would have to acquire 51% or more of all Peercoins. Supply-and-demand economics would simply drive up the price to astronomical levels.

Slide 10. Peercoin’s Proof-of-Stake approach fits perfectly into the idea a decentralized ledger. This ledger or record resides on a blockchain and demonstrates ownership in a company or business, for example. The extension of Proof-of-Stake to distributed ownership is called Peershares.

Slide 11. Peershares is the next logical step in the evolution of Proof-of-Stake. A company would have its own Proof-of-Stake blockchain for issuing shares and even dividends. Dividends would be paid in Peercoins and shares would be traded for fiat or crypto-currency in the same way as Peercoins do today – on multiple exchanges. There is no central point of failure. Just as important, a startup could raise raise IPO funds without the need for expensive third-party underwriters. This revolutionary idea has caught some attention: half-a-million dollars of venture capital funding has been raised for the Peershares development team.

Slides 12 and 13. Peercoin and Peershares have an active and engaged community. There is a strong presence on the discussion forums and various social media outlets.

Edit: Fixed the 0.01 PPC fee typo and better defined the blockchain size.

In writing the narrative, I felt that maybe the arrangement of slides could be changed around a bit or maybe modify a few of the slides. I think it makes more sense to start by carefully explaining how Bitcoin implements PoW. When the problems and liabilities of PoW are properly framed, then show how PoS addresses them. PoS is the premise of Peercoin’s existence but this can be best understood by clearly contrasting it with Bitcoin’s PoW. I also think the 0.1 PPC transaction fee is a separate issue that addresses blockchain bloat and can be introduced later in the presentation.

The presentation will also depend on the sophistication of the audience. I suspect there are plenty of Bitcoin advocates who don’t really grasp the problems imposed by PoW.

This is great, thanks for writing it.

Just a couple minor issues, the transaction fee should be 0.01, not 0.1, right?

Also the blockchain size is currently 0.2606 GB, so maybe “less than 500 Megabytes” should be changed to “less than 300 Megabytes”.

[quote=“sportscliche, post:38, topic:1760”]In writing the narrative, I felt that maybe the arrangement of slides could be changed around a bit or maybe modify a few of the slides. I think it makes more sense to start by carefully explaining how Bitcoin implements PoW. When the problems and liabilities of PoW are properly framed, then show how PoS addresses them. PoS is the premise of Peercoin’s existence but this can be best understood by clearly contrasting it with Bitcoin’s PoW. I also think the 0.1 PPC transaction fee is a separate issue that addresses blockchain bloat and can be introduced later in the presentation.

The presentation will also depend on the sophistication of the audience. I suspect there are plenty of Bitcoin advocates who don’t really grasp the problems imposed by PoW.[/quote]

You’re probably right about people not fully understanding PoW, a single slide giving a brief overview of PoW could be a good idea. Irritant had some material in his presentation that could be useful (https://mega.co.nz/#F!ppo2kSAa!C9djQa_K_vrEkVYwusd2lQ).

Slides 5 & 6 (transaction fee and blockchain size) could be moved to the end of the Peercoin part, just ahead of Peershares

Yes, I made a stupid mistake on the fee. And yes, one could even state that the Peercoin blockchain is nearly i) two orders of magnitude and/or ii) 100 times smaller than Bitcoin’s. That’s impressive.

I’m beginning to appreciate how unwieldy the Bitcoin blockchain has become. I’ve given up on Armory because of it. Even a couple days of not using it can require 30 minutes or more of synchronization. I switched to Electrum.