Peerbox-raspi-v0.25-RC2 discussion thread

Time to update. It is still original Raspberry Pi only but I am starting to work on Raspi2 support.
I am all out of 2GB SD cards, so from now on images will be tailored to fit on 8GB cards.

Changelog:

• ppcoind updated to latest git (master) version
  • openssl updated
  • openssh updated and compiled as PIE (position independed executable) and fixed bug #19
  • root user disabled (fixes bug #9)
  • sunny user forced to change the password upon first boot (fixes bug #9)
  • default password for sunny is now “sunny”
  • nud, NuBits daemon added to repository
  • v0.24 branch is now obsolete, please update your Peerbox.

To install and use nud daemon:

sudo pacman -S nud

To test the nud:

sudo systemctl start nud

To make nud start at boot time:

sudo systemctl enable nud

Nud is set up to act as a node, it is still not meant to be properly utilized (ie. minting/voting) and it is not integrated in Peerbox tools (peerbox-info). Default unit is shares (S), defined with -unit=S in /etc/conf.d/nud.conf
You can still use it as you please by giving it commands via RPC, it is just not tested.
Syncing Nu blockchain can take over 48h, especially if you run it in parallel with ppcoind. It is recommended to let ppcoind sync first before installing nud.

Downloads:

GZIP [1400MB]: https://peerbox.me/download/Peerbox-raspi-v0.25-RC2.img.gz
[size=8pt]sha256sum: 53ee714975530be2ac91236f864c459250972418721acd0996974cbfb450580c[/size]

XZ [1014MB]: https://peerbox.me/download/Peerbox-raspi-v0.25-RC2.img.xz
[size=8pt]sha256sum: c40b9086ff38fb97e71c8465c3211c6a33ab389b8e56fe45dcdcd161eb0ddd0b[/size]

Awesome stuff!
If I may offer a suggestion, can you take into account that not all cards have the exact number of blocks? I ran into an issue with a 2GB card of mine, where I was just a few blocks short of being able to write the ISO, which caused a bunch of issues. I am not sure if I am up to date on all the technical aspects of this and I admit the card I am talking about is a brand I don’t know much about (Dan-Elec) and it was rather old, so this may not be an issue anymore.

[quote=“fishb0ne, post:2, topic:3524”]Awesome stuff!
If I may offer a suggestion, can you take into account that not all cards have the exact number of blocks? I ran into an issue with a 2GB card of mine, where I was just a few blocks short of being able to write the ISO, which caused a bunch of issues. I am not sure if I am up to date on all the technical aspects of this and I admit the card I am talking about is a brand I don’t know much about (Dan-Elec) and it was rather old, so this may not be an issue anymore.[/quote]

Yes, I am aware of that. And that is also part of the reason I’ve now made 8GB img default but shrinked to 7.8GB.
As SD cards wear out, they report less blocks. So your card is “loosing” blocks as it gets old.

Thank you for your support, and please if you can test the new images and report any problems :slight_smile:

So is it possible to still use a 2GB card with RC2? I downloaded RC2 from peerbox.me yesterday and it seems to boot just fine; however ppcoind is not starting automatically. Before I spend a lot of time troubleshooting, should I just stop and get 8GB card?

Image itself is 7.8 GB so yeah you should get 8GB SD card.

Had the same issue, learnmore. Turned out it was a faulty SD Card.

Strange… I downloaded an image labeled “Peerbox-raspi-v0.25-RC2” directly from the peerbox.me website on 5/25 after this thread was started but before the links were posted here. The image I got then was only 2 GB. Now I see that the links here lead to an 8 GB image with the exact same file name.

…the first clue that something was wrong should have been when I had to rely on my own rudimentary hacking skills to guess the new “sunny” password. :wink:

After that, I got pretty frustrated that ppcoind wasn’t starting so I set it aside for awhile…

Final lesson: don’t be impatient and don’t run software from the Internet without a hash verification!

I tried nud. I put a nu.conf in ~/.nu with 600 permission. when I run

nud get info 

I get

error: incorrect rpcuser or rpcpassword (authorization failed)

am I supposed to tell the rpcuser/pwd to the daemon ? if yes, where? I see ppcoind doesn’t have it in /etc/conf.d/ppcoind.conf ?

Thanks

[quote=“mhps, post:8, topic:3524”]I tried nud. I put a nu.conf in ~/.nu with 600 permission. when I run

nud get info 

I get

error: incorrect rpcuser or rpcpassword (authorization failed)

am I supposed to tell the rpcuser/pwd to the daemon ? if yes, where? I see ppcoind doesn’t have it in /etc/conf.d/ppcoind.conf ?

Thanks[/quote]

Nud user/pass are set to default and should not be changed. However, the configuration resides in: /etc/conf.d/nud.conf and /etc/nu/nu.conf depending on what exactly you need to change.
It is same for ppcoind.

What are they? I need t hem to be in ~/.nu/nu.conf to run nud getinfo

HI,

Done all the usual things put image on SD, fired up changed etc. Set port through router.

Nothing seemed to happen and
“sudo ps-e” does not show any ppcoind process

I started ppcoind (ie typed it in the command line and use ctrl z to get back to a prompt

“peerbox-info -a” gets:

“ppcoind”: “ppcoind is running but not ready”,
“system”: {
“average load”: [
],
“board_rev”: “0xe”,
“hardware”: “Raspberry Pi”,
“kernel release”: “3.14.28-3-GRSEC”,
“maccaddr”: “B8:27:EB:89:03:25”,
“peerbox”: “0.25”,
“serial”: “0000000041890325”,
“system_temperature”: 46.54,
“uptime”: “0:59:40.770000”

I suppose I have to wait for a while for the blockchain to download but

[sunny@peerbox ~]$ sudo du -a /var/lib/ppcoind
712 /var/lib/ppcoind/addr.dat
6536 /var/lib/ppcoind/debug.log
64 /var/lib/ppcoind/wallet.dat
0 /var/lib/ppcoind/.lock
15596 /var/lib/ppcoind/blk0001.dat
9124 /var/lib/ppcoind/blkindex.dat
10240 /var/lib/ppcoind/database/log.0000000891
10244 /var/lib/ppcoind/database
0 /var/lib/ppcoind/db.log
42280 /var/lib/ppcoind

Does not seem to have changed much in size over two days now.

1. Have I started ppcoind correctly?

2. Is there any way of telling whiat information is flowing into and out of the system

Zoiner

NB: I am slightly [not being ironic, I have little regular hands-on] with arch, having had a normal version running on my pi for a couple of years.

Are there activities shown in /var/lib/debug.log? 15 min after booting up you should see sync’ing in the log and “ppcoind getinfo” returning status.

Can’t find /var/lib/debug.log.

Should I do a reboot and wait 15 minutes before logging in to allow things to settle?

Ah its in /var/lib/ppcooind

Contents are:

t.dat detach
wallet.dat closed
StopNode()
DBFlush(true)
addr.dat refcount=0
addr.dat checkpoint
addr.dat closed
PPCoin exiting

[quote=“zoiner, post:14, topic:3524”]Ah its in /var/lib/ppcooind

Contents are:

t.dat detach
wallet.dat closed
StopNode()
DBFlush(true)
addr.dat refcount=0
addr.dat checkpoint
addr.dat closed
PPCoin exiting[/quote]

Clear /var/lib/ppcoind and start over.

sudo systemctl stop ppcoind

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/ppcoind/* sudo rm -rf /var/lib/ppcoind/.lock

sudo systemctl start ppcoind

“Clear /var/lib/ppcoind and start over.”

Thank you, have done all that.

Now quick questions, do I wait for a while before polling?

Am I OK to log off (I’m using SSH headless)?

Thank you all!

I figured it out that systemctl runs the software after log out (Doh!)

My memory is filling rapidly so there must be plenty coming down.
ppcoind getinfo --:
{
“version” : “v0.4.0ppc-21-g650ea5f-beta”,
“protocolversion” : 60004,
“walletversion” : 60000,
“balance” : 0.00000000,
“newmint” : 0.00000000,
“stake” : 0.00000000,
“blocks” : 9689,
“moneysupply” : 10798419.83374900,
“connections” : 8,
“proxy” : “”,
“ip” : “x.x.x.x”,
“difficulty” : 10987.07297169,
“testnet” : false,
“keypoololdest” : 1437593818,
“keypoolsize” : 101,
“paytxfee” : 0.01000000,
“errors” : “WARNING: Checkpoint is too old. Wait for block chain to download, or notify developers of the issue.”}

Now up to 10 connections.

Thanks again.

Hi!

I’m trying to setup Peerbox on my Raspbeery Pi Model B but

1. I’m having trouble ssh into it. I have tried Chrome Secure Shell and Putty but it seems that the port is blocked.
  2. I’m having trouble getting ip from ethernet so I have to use a USB WiFi and configure via sudo wifi-menu. Could you let me know how I can I fix these configurations?

Thanks

The port - 22- shuldn’t be blocked. You might have a wrong ip.
Have you tried connecting the pi to a monitor when booting up? the ip will show.

To find your rasp pi ip address, you can use nmap
http://trevorappleton.blogspot.de/2013/03/remotely-find-raspberry-pi-ip-address.html

to set up wifi it is easiest to plug it to LAN first with a cable. (then nmap to locate ip address)

then edit the interfaces file with nano:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-raspberry-pi-lesson-3-network-setup/setting-up-wifi-with-occidentalis