Peer4Commit.com (Create Projects & Raise Funds, Donate & Get Paid to Contribute)

[size=18pt]What is Peer4commit?[/size]

Peer4commit is a website where people raise funds for any kind of project.

Anyone can start collecting funds in a few clicks. You just have to explain what you’re going to do with the funds and why people can trust you.

People can easily donate to the projects they want to support by sending cryptocurrencies. The fundraiser can then distribute the funds to the people who make the project happen.

[size=18pt]How is it different than other crowdfunding sites?[/size]

On Peer4commit the fundraiser is not expected to do the actual work. His job is to collect funds and distribute them to the people who work on the project. He may for example reward commits on an open source project or pay a lobbyist.

[size=18pt]Why?[/size]

The goal is to give the initiative to the people, and not only to those who are able to achieve projects.

For example imagine you want a feature in an open source software but the developers don’t care about it and you can’t implement it yourself. You can start a project on Peer4commit to make it happen. If you get enough funds you can pay someone to implement the feature. There are many freelance developers and companies who will be happy to do that for you.

Or imagine your favorite band has given up. You can raise funds to pay them to work on a new album.

[size=18pt]Why give control to a fundraiser and not directly to the people?[/size]

Giving direct control to multiple persons is a complex task with no ideal solution. For example are decisions made at the majority? Is there a quorum? Can people vote for multiple choices? Are votes proportional to the amount you gave?

And there is a big risk. For example if all decisions are made proportional to the amount given, then someone can easily take over the funds by sending more than everybody else. He can then send the whole funds to himself.

So we decided all these choices will be made by the fundraiser. He can start a project where he decides everything as a benevolent dictator, but he can also create more democratic projects where important decisions will be taken at the majority among choices he selects.

The fundraiser will also have the responsibility of deciding what can and cannot be changed. For example the main goal of the project is not likely to change. Even if you give a small amount and have an insignificant weight in the decisions you can rest assured that your money will still be used for the same goal. Someone who gave 90% of the funds won’t be able to change that.

[size=18pt]Why use Peer4commit and not send funds directly to the fundraiser?[/size]

Peer4commit provides tools to the donors and the fundraisers.

The donors can browse the fundraiser history: what projects he managed, how he distributed funds, what comments he received, etc. The fundraisers are forced to distribute the funds through Peer4commit so that anyone can see the details. For example if the fundraiser decided to send money to a GitHub account, then the GitHub account name will be displayed, not only the payment address.

The fundraisers have tools to easily distribute money. They can for example send funds to an email address. Peer4commit will take charge of getting payment information from the owner of this email address. They can also send funds to a GitHub users or to the author of a particular commit. More options will be added later (sending to a Reddit user, to a forum member, etc.).

We also provide tools to identify donors. When they donate they can provide a address. This address can be used whenever Peer4commit, the fundraiser or anyone wants to identify a donor. Anyone able to sign with this address will be considered the sender of the associated money. This can be used to return the funds, to organize votes, to send rewards, etc.

[size=18pt]Can I trust the fundraisers?[/size]

Not blindly. You should do some researches before you give money.

For example the fact a project has a lot of donations is not an indication that many people trust the fundraiser. He may have sent the money himself.

Peer4commit provides some tools to help you check the fundraiser. We keep track of all the projects he managed and all the funds he distributed. You can browse that and see how he managed previous projects. Anyone can comment the projects, distributions and users so if he did something wrong then there are good chances he received bad comments.

The fundraiser should also explain in the project description why you can trust him. If he doesn’t do that you should be skeptical. Then you’ll have to evaluate what he says. It’s particularly important to check the identity of the fundraiser. He should provide proofs he really is who he claims to be.

But an important point is that the fundraisers will actually compete on trust. Since anyone can raise funds a big part of the difference will be made on trustworthiness.

Some other skills may be important too. For example the project may require some technical skills to evaluate the work made by others. You should ensure the fundraiser has these abilities.

[size=18pt]Refund[/size]

When you make a donation you explicitly give to the fundraiser the full control of the money you send. He may have committed himself to refund the donations under certain circumstances but you still need to evaluate whether you can trust him on that.

When you donate Peer4commit asks you for a return address. This address will be used if the fundraiser wants to send funds back to you. It may also be used for other things where you need to prove you are the sender (a vote, a reward, etc.). All the donation addresses will be displayed publicly so you should use a newly generated address without history. And you must keep the associated private key in a safe place.

[size=18pt]Does it work?[/size]

Peer4commit is still young but yes. Some projects were successfully managed.

We initially started as a tip4commit clone where GitHub commits were automatically rewarded 1% of the balance. We moved recently to the more generic system described here.

Examples of successful projects:
Peer4commit itself
• A Peercoin marketing video
Peerunity

[size=18pt]Currency[/size]

For now the only supported currency is Peercoin. Other currencies will be added later.

[size=18pt]How can I raise funds?[/size]

Click on the “Create a project” button. You’ll have to fill a detailed description. Here are some recommendations:
• State the main goal of your peer4commit project, and decide what can and cannot be changed for the project. The main goal cannot be changed.
• Provide your identity and convince donators why they should trust you.
• Decide and state if you will be a benevolent dictator (more efficient), or create a more democratic project (finer control for stakeholders).
• Describe your techical skills and other relevant qualifications if they are needed to evaluate the work made by others.
• State policy of tipping for potential developers. Use other projects as templates or references.

The project will be visible on Peer4commit but it will not be particularly highlighted. You will have to communicate about it, that’s part of your job.

[size=18pt]Can fundraisers get paid for their work?[/size]

Yes. A fundraisers can send money to himself for his raising and distributing jobs. He can also reward himself to do actual work. That’s up to him.

Fundraisers should explain in the project description whether they intend to pay themselves and how much.

[size=18pt]How can I get paid to do the actual work?[/size]

Check the policies of the projects. Fundraiser can choose to raise bounty or a specific percentage of the donated funds for specific tasks or assign a percentage of the fund for commits in case of a development. If unclear ask the fundraiser. Disputes should be resolved between the developer and the fundraiser.

[size=18pt]How do I donate to a project I like?[/size]

Browse the project list and click on the “Donate” button. You will be asked for a personal address that will be used if Peer4commit or the fundraiser ever needs to identify you. Then Peer4commit will give you an address to which you just have to send Peercoins. 99% of your donation will be available to the fundraiser. 1% will be kept to host Peer4commit and pay the transaction fees.

You can also donate without providing an address. But the fundraiser won’t be able to return you the funds if he ever wants to. And if the fundraiser organizes a vote or send rewards, you won’t be able to participate.

[size=18pt]What’s going to happen next?[/size]

There are many features planed. Their achievement depends on the willingness of donors, fundraisers and developers.

Bitcoin support

Adding support for Bitcoin is an important step. We can easily change Peer4commit to support projects either in Bitcoin or in Peercoin. But supporting multiple currecies in the same project will require more work and an external service to automatically convert currencies.

Multi-signature

The most important imminent change is the introduction of multi-signature donation addresses:

When you donate, your money will be sent to a multi-signature address:
• 1 key will be owned by Peer4commit,
• 1 key will be owned by the fundraiser and
• 1 key will be owned by yourself (if you want to).

And 2 keys will be required to use the funds.

To distribute coins the fundraiser will use the website and fill some forms. The website will generate a transaction and ask the fundraiser to provide a signature for it. Then the website will sign the transaction too and propagate it.

So if the website is hacked the funds can’t be stolen. And the fundraiser cannot spend the funds outside the website.

Also if a fundraiser is clearly misbehaving the website and the supporter can decide to return the funds. If the website itself is misbehaving (a very bad policy change, abandoned, hacked…) the fundraiser and the supporter can decide to move the funds elsewhere.

Decentralization

Peer4commit can probably run completely decentralized, maybe on its own blockchain, maybe as a Peershares implementation. But this will require a lot of thoughts. For now we focus on more practical things, but decentralization is certainly an ultimate goal.

Multi-signature will already be a big step toward decentralization.

Other

We will also improve the various tools provided by the website:
• add new recipients the fundraisers can distribute funds to: all the people involved in a GitHub issue, another Peer4commit project, a Reddit user, etc.
• project categorization, tags, sorting, filtering, etc.
• browsing the history of projects (description changes, distribution changes, etc). The data are already there but just not displayed.
• etc…

We may also add some kind of discussion boards, unless the community thinks this is better kept externalized.

[size=18pt]What measures have been taken to secure the funds on Peer4commit?[/size]

The project funds are isolated in different accounts in the wallet, so if someone ever finds a way to distribute more funds than the project balance, Peercoin will not take the funds from another project and will refuse the transaction. Projects with a high balance have a part of its funds moved to cold storage. The website runs in an isolated virtual server running only this service. There’s an audit page that shows the status of all project accounts.

When multisignatures are implemented Peer4commit will not have direct the control over the funds (see above).

[size=18pt]Contact[/size]

If you have any question send a message to contact@peer4commit.com or open an issue on GitHub.

I added the following information about Peer4commit’s audit page…

Do You Have an Audit Page Setup for Peer4commit?
Yes, Peer4commit does have an audit page. It shows different information, such as amount donated, available balance, transaction fees, amount in cold storage and includes addresses for each project. You can view the page here: http://peer4commit.com/audit.

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:1, topic:2145”]Can Project Owners Change the Amount Donated to Each Commit?
Yes, they have a new button “Change project settings” on the project page along the project name. In this screen they can change 2 things (for now):

• A text describing their tipping policies that will be displayed on the project page on peer4commit.
  • A checkbox that will put all new tips on hold when commits are found.

When the checkbox is active, each new commit generates an “Undecided” tip and the authors are not notified. The project owners can then click on a new button on the project page to decide the tip amounts. They have these choices:

• Leave undecided (To decide later)
  • Free (The commit won’t get any tip and the author won’t be notified)
  • Tiny: 0.1% of the project balance.
  • Small: 0.5% of the project balance.
  • Normal: 1%
  • Big: 2%
  • Huge: 5%[/quote]

I am not seeing the “Change project settings” button on the Peerunity project page here: http://peer4commit.com/projects/74

I am presently logged into Peer4Commit through GitHub. In the upper right of the screen I see this showing I am logged in:

JordanLeePeershares / 0.00 PPC / Sign Out

I would like to use this new feature to offer glv2 a Huge tip for his coin control commit and other commit. I also intend to offer anyone who submits a pull request for createmultisig a Huge tip.

How should I proceed sigmike?

[quote=“Jordan Lee, post:3, topic:2145”][quote=“Sentinelrv, post:1, topic:2145”]Can Project Owners Change the Amount Donated to Each Commit?
Yes, they have a new button “Change project settings” on the project page along the project name. In this screen they can change 2 things (for now):

• A text describing their tipping policies that will be displayed on the project page on peer4commit.
  • A checkbox that will put all new tips on hold when commits are found.

When the checkbox is active, each new commit generates an “Undecided” tip and the authors are not notified. The project owners can then click on a new button on the project page to decide the tip amounts. They have these choices:

• Leave undecided (To decide later)
  • Free (The commit won’t get any tip and the author won’t be notified)
  • Tiny: 0.1% of the project balance.
  • Small: 0.5% of the project balance.
  • Normal: 1%
  • Big: 2%
  • Huge: 5%[/quote]

I am not seeing the “Change project settings” button on the Peerunity project page here: http://peer4commit.com/projects/74

I am presently logged into Peer4Commit through GitHub. In the upper right of the screen I see this showing I am logged in:

JordanLeePeershares / 0.00 PPC / Sign Out

I would like to use this new feature to offer glv2 a Huge tip for his coin control commit and other commit. I also intend to offer anyone who submits a pull request for createmultisig a Huge tip.

How should I proceed sigmike?[/quote]
You need to be logged in as Peerunity on the peer4commit site, you can do this by logging out of github and logging in as Peerunity, then click the login on peer4commit. This should give you access…

Alternatively you could try adding yourself as a collaborator on the Peerunity repo then that should give you the permissions needed for the button to appear on peer4commit

Fuzzybear

This happens because you’re a private member of the Peerunity organization so GitHub doesn’t list you as a collaborator.
You can either make your membership public or add yourself as a collaborator of the repository.

Then on next update (max 15 minutes) you should be identified as a collaborator.

This happens because you’re a private member of the Peerunity organization so GitHub doesn’t list you as a collaborator.
You can either make your membership public or add yourself as a collaborator of the repository.

Then on next update (max 15 minutes) you should be identified as a collaborator.[/quote]

I made my membership public and that worked. Thanks.

Another issue here with adding collaborators/fundraisers. I added River333 as collaborator to my cybnate/peercoin-tasks project on Github yesterday. However he still doesn’t show up as a second fundraiser. Did I do something wrong?

The ‘test’ project is here: http://peer4commit.com/projects/33

No. Since the funds are now managed by the fundraisers and not by the GitHub collaborators, peer4commit doesn’t update the collaborators from GitHub anymore.

I kept the previously assigned collaborators so that they still work like before, but changes in collaborators are not updated.

I should add a way to manually manage collaborators.

Have been making notes in the last 3 weeks or so on things which I thought were useful to add to peer4commit. Some of them have been discussed before, but I thought it was good to have the list together. They are in a random order, some might be easy, some are huge, some are nice to have, some are needed. Eventually I hope they can be all implemented. Leave it to Sigmike to choose.
My priorities are 1,3,4,6, (9 or 10) and 11.

1. filter on type of projects
    This would enable us to sort on development projects, Peercoin related projects, marketing projects or active projects

2. transferring funds between projects without incurring another 1% cut
    It appears that e.g. the marketing project would transfer donated funds to another project on peer4commit another 1% cut is taken. That is not so great imo.
    An example would be where the Marketing Fund would contribute to an existing project or remaining funds from prematurely closed project are moved to another active project.

3. ability to ‘like’ or ‘dislike’ endorse projects for users. Or stars (1 to 5 stars displaying average). Same for users/fundraisers.
    This would enable people and projects to build a track record so donators can better recognise genuine projects and fundraisers from spammers, but maybe this should be solved with integrating with future tools like bitauth?

4. ability to add/manage fundraisers
    Only one fundraiser can be added

5. Ability to close project or stop donations
    Once projects has met their target or have been delivered it would be good to show that. Would be good to combine with item 1 Filters.

6. Support to run Kickstarter style projects
    Ability to return all funds (assuming they have return address) back to the donators in one transaction (e.g. with option to do this automatically on a fixed date).
    Adding counter to homepage (Donated xxxx of defined target) and ability to set stretch target(s) if applicable.
    Ability to revoke donations for donators before it reaches the target (but irrevocable when reaching target).

7. Ability for donators and to receive email updates on projects e.g. when fundraiser adds comment to project.
    Related to this adding auto-post option of fundraiser comments to designated project thread on peercointalk.org.

8. Add a link somewhere (e.g. bottom of homepage of peer4commit) to audit page.

9. Add 2 factor authentication (e.g. Yubikey or Google authenticator)

10. Add multi-sig ability.

11. Fix an issue where multiple markdowns in detailed description don’t work. This would improve the presentation of each project.
    At the moment only the first mark-up seems to work (see project 96).

12. A way to comment on individual donations (e.g. thank you) and for donators to leave a message with their donation which shows on Donor list

And I was wondering whether our sister coin, Primecoin gets an update for prime4commit? Or maybe integration with peer4commit and allowing a number of cryptos. Maybe we can copy/paste the Marketing Fund project to Primecoin and see if there are any donations to run that concurrently.

I updated the text of this sticky thread with the FAQ on Peer4commit. I also altered the title.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:9, topic:2145”]Have been making notes in the last 3 weeks or so on things which I thought were useful to add to peer4commit. Some of them have been discussed before, but I thought it was good to have the list together. They are in a random order, some might be easy, some are huge, some are nice to have, some are needed. Eventually I hope they can be all implemented. Leave it to Sigmike to choose.
My priorities are 1,3,4,6, (9 or 10) and 11.

1. filter on type of projects
    This would enable us to sort on development projects, Peercoin related projects, marketing projects or active projects

2. transferring funds between projects without incurring another 1% cut
    It appears that e.g. the marketing project would transfer donated funds to another project on peer4commit another 1% cut is taken. That is not so great imo.
    An example would be where the Marketing Fund would contribute to an existing project or remaining funds from prematurely closed project are moved to another active project.

3. ability to ‘like’ or ‘dislike’ endorse projects for users. Or stars (1 to 5 stars displaying average). Same for users/fundraisers.
    This would enable people and projects to build a track record so donators can better recognise genuine projects and fundraisers from spammers, but maybe this should be solved with integrating with future tools like bitauth?

4. ability to add/manage fundraisers
    Only one fundraiser can be added

5. Ability to close project or stop donations
    Once projects has met their target or have been delivered it would be good to show that. Would be good to combine with item 1 Filters.

6. Support to run Kickstarter style projects
    Ability to return all funds (assuming they have return address) back to the donators in one transaction (e.g. with option to do this automatically on a fixed date).
    Adding counter to homepage (Donated xxxx of defined target) and ability to set stretch target(s) if applicable.
    Ability to revoke donations for donators before it reaches the target (but irrevocable when reaching target).

7. Ability for donators and to receive email updates on projects e.g. when fundraiser adds comment to project.
    Related to this adding auto-post option of fundraiser comments to designated project thread on peercointalk.org.

8. Add a link somewhere (e.g. bottom of homepage of peer4commit) to audit page.

9. Add 2 factor authentication (e.g. Yubikey or Google authenticator)

10. Add multi-sig ability.

11. Fix an issue where multiple markdowns in detailed description don’t work. This would improve the presentation of each project.
    At the moment only the first mark-up seems to work (see project 96).

12. A way to comment on individual donations (e.g. thank you) and for donators to leave a message with their donation which shows on Donor list

And I was wondering whether our sister coin, Primecoin gets an update for prime4commit? Or maybe integration with peer4commit and allowing a number of cryptos. Maybe we can copy/paste the Marketing Fund project to Primecoin and see if there are any donations to run that concurrently.[/quote]

+1

Has there ever been talking about embedding bounties within a specific project? Basically, allowing people to vote for specific features they want with their wallet.

The way I see it setup is people create new projects as children of existing projects. These child projects don’t show up in the main list, but are listed in the profile of the parent project, and have separate peercoin amounts set on them. Anyone can create one of those sub-projects (essentially bounties), or send more peercoin to that sub-project.

The total peercoin amount for a main project includes both it’s general peercoin amount plus the sum of all the subprojects for it.

Thoughts? I’d be happy to work on the feature myself in peer4commit if others have interest as well. This is the kind of service I’d like to have on my own projects, letting people vote on new features they want added with PPC.

Edit: Just saw it was written in Ruby. Bah. Rather than assisting to build the feature, I’d probably build a separate app on top of it in Python/Django that creates meta projects, comprised of several projects inside peer4commit, where each project in peer4commit is a specific feature in the meta-project.

No. Since the funds are now managed by the fundraisers and not by the GitHub collaborators, peer4commit doesn’t update the collaborators from GitHub anymore.

I kept the previously assigned collaborators so that they still work like before, but changes in collaborators are not updated.

I should add a way to manually manage collaborators.[/quote]
Not sure which thread I had to revive and whether the quote above applies to my issue but…

I’m no longer able to log into peer4commit.com with my Github account. I don’t get an error on trying it just return to the homepage without being logged in.
I still have funds on the translation project sitting under my account, so adding another account is not the solution for me. I also wanted to add a message to @peerchemist initiative for PeerAssets,
Hope @sigmike or someone else with access to the logs can see what the problem is and resolve.

I raised that issue two weeks ago: https://github.com/sigmike/peer4commit/issues/143

No response so far.

[quote=“hrobeers, post:14, topic:2145”]I raised that issue two weeks ago: https://github.com/sigmike/peer4commit/issues/143

No response so far.[/quote]
Just gave him another ping, hope that works.