(Outdated Thread) 2 Posts Are REQUIRED Before You Can Start Threads

I am Tracy Lee

This looks great!

ok.

I am looking forward to joining this forum :).

hi to all ;D

This is my first post.

Nothing fancy here.

So, I have a few questions…

1. Is Peerbox an entire OS (so it’s a dedicated system) or can I run it like an application on my RaspberryPi?
  • I’m very confused about this, I just got my RaspberryPi and loaded Raspberian OS. Sorry, I’m not very computer savvy, but I really want to setup a Peerbox and get helping.
  1. I have a Peercoin wallet on my laptop, so does having my wallet open (don’t have enough coins vs. time for minting yet) and/or minting help the network (separate from Peerbox)?

I’ve only ever seen 6-11 “active connections to the Peercoin network” at any one time and wondering what that is - full nodes, peerboxes, wallets? Tell me we’re not down to only a few participants.

Thanks so much,

Az

[quote=“Azhija, post:28, topic:2890”]1. Is Peerbox an entire OS (so it’s a dedicated system) or can I run it like an application on my RaspberryPi?

1. I have a Peercoin wallet on my laptop, so does having my wallet open (don’t have enough coins vs. time for minting yet) and/or minting help the network (separate from Peerbox)?

I’ve only ever seen 6-11 “active connections to the Peercoin network” at any one time and wondering what that is - full nodes, peerboxes, wallets? Tell me we’re not down to only a few participants.[/quote]

#1 - Yes, it’s a standalone OS.

When your wallet is unlocked for minting your Peercoin software will constantly try to mint and add blocks to the block chain. Provided you have enough coinage coming from mature transactions.
Minting secures the network.

full nodes: everyone with a fully synched blockchain, reachable on from the outside (port forwarded etc.)
full nodes increase the distribution of the Peercoin block chain and increase overall network security.

peerbox: dedicated RPis with Peerbox OS running

There are probably about 1000-3000 total active nodes at the moment, it is hard to estimate. About 240 of these are full nodes. Since you are getting over 8 connections you are likely a full node on your laptop at times too. While this does benefit the network, it is better to have nodes that are constantly active, meaning the more energy-efficient Raspberry Pi is a better option as you can just leave it running for weeks/months without worrying about it.

If you would prefer not to have to load a new OS, you can also set up a full node using the Raspbian you already have installed: Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!

Hi Im Kingcolex

Captchas annoy me. Then email activation and now post twice…

now the second post… GRRRRRRRR

Sunny side up :smiley:

Peercoin my precious

Hi, all…

Nice. Good

Just joined forum

Oh. ok… Hi! :-/

YEAH! No captcha

Hi all well this will be one of my two posts.

I guess we don’t get much spam on here with implementing this which can only be a good thing.

Cheers
Mark