Mint peercoin with unencrypted wallet using headless daemon?

Ive got an install of peercoin, built using makefile.unix from git source but all the instructions i can find say that the command to mint coins is “walletpassphrase 999999 true” but please can someone tell me how to run that command without the password part.

Someone in another forum assured me that I am minting permenantly when my wallet is unlocked but the getinfo command shows:

"stake" : 0.00000000,

Any help is appreciated thanks.

I use a bash start-up script to pass that information in (I keep that script in my /PPCoin directory).

#!/bin/bash
echo "Please ensure that you have started PPCoin-Qt before entering your passphrase."
read -s -p "Enter Peercoin wallet passphrase: " passphrase
echo "Starting ppcoind with stake minting enabled"
./ppcoind walletpassphrase "$passphrase" 9999999 true

So my typical workflow is to start the daemon, and then invoke the start.sh script. That way, I get to enter my password without having to display it in my terminal window.

$ cd ../../PPCoin/
$ ./ppcoind --daemon
starting ppcoin server
$ ./start.sh
Please ensure that you have started PPCoin-Qt before entering your passphrase.
Enter Peercoin wallet passphrase: [prompt]
# Input wallet passphrase and then hit ENTER
Starting ppcoind with stake minting enabled

Re-reading your original post, are you asking if you can run it without encrypting the wallet first? If so, I’d recommend that you always encrypt your wallet, for security. If you chose not to, I think you can use what I’ve included above, but just hit enter again when it asks for your passphrase.

When you run [font=courier]./ppcoind getinfo[/font] and see:

"stake" : 0.00000000,

It means that you haven’t generated any blocks using proof-of-stake, so none of your coins have been put aside during the 520 network block confirmations that follow the successful block minting.

I assume you have coins in your wallet already? (You need coins in your wallet before you can mint new ones, and they have to be 30+ days old)

If you haven’t encrypted your wallet with a password (it is just a default install), then you do not need to run the walletpassphrase command.

If you want to be sure that your wallet is already unlocked and minting capable, just run this command:

ppcoind walletpassphrase

(With no extra parameters. If it is already unlocked, it will say so)

"balance" : 154.45260200, "newmint" : 0.00000000, "stake" : 0.00000000,
If the 'stake' part represents how many new coins are minted then what's the 'newmint' line for? I appreciate the info fellas but just trusting that my wallet is minting even though i havent designated a reserve balance or anything is very confusing, it would be nice to check the status in some way or explicitly define it somehow. If my wallet is minting then how does it know if i want a reserve balance or not? From what I gather when minting your coins become tied up for a certain number of blocks which is why you can designate a reserve in the conf file but I haven't done that, so wouldn't that imply that once your coins have enough days (like mine) and your wallet is unlocked you're then stuck in a trap where you can never spend them because they are constantly locked up for minting?

thanks again for the previous info, i’m clearly a peercoin noob :slight_smile:

Once you have successfully minted a PoS block, the used coins need 520 blocks to mature (they are part of an input transaction that includes the coins and the stake reward).
Not all coins in your wallet will be used for minting at once - at least it is very unlikely.
Having matured after 520 blocks, the coins need to gather an age of at least 30 days before they can be used for minting again.
So you will most likely have a reserve to spend even without a specified reserve balance.
Have a look here: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=809.0

…I don’t know about the “newmint” line and have never seen any value different from 0 there…

If “ppcoind getinfo” shows a last line

"errors" : ""

you can consider your client application to be minting.
I might be corrected if this is a false assumption.

If something is wrong, the last line should read

"errors" : "Info: Minting suspended due to locked wallet."

Ok, thanks again for the help :slight_smile:

I have a similar issue to derrend so I’m posting here.

I’ve had 199 coins sitting in my wallet since March. Every weekend I un-encrypt and set the wallet for pos minting. It is regularly on for 48 hours. The icon shows that the wallet is unencrypted and should be minting. See the full post I made on bitcointalk a month ago:

bitcointalk dot org/index.php?topic=660734.msg7724403#msg7724403

Does anyone here have advice? I’m considering just selling my coins as I haven’t had any luck minting any PPC in the past 4 months. I have several other coins that POS mint without issue.

• VR

[quote=“virtualreality69, post:7, topic:1753”]I have a similar issue to derrend so I’m posting here.

I’ve had 199 coins sitting in my wallet since March. Every weekend I un-encrypt and set the wallet for pos minting. It is regularly on for 48 hours. The icon shows that the wallet is unencrypted and should be minting. See the full post I made on bitcointalk a month ago:

Does anyone here have advice? I’m considering just selling my coins as I haven’t had any luck minting any PPC in the past 4 months. I have several other coins that POS mint without issue.

• VR[/quote]

try running it for more than 48 hours? try also using http://poscalculator.peercointalk.org/ current pos difficulty is 11.5081806183

That lack of indicator that “the wallet is trying” could be improved. Maybe in the minitng tab in the next version of Peerunity the final hashing-comparing process could be displayed and updated every second so that for example when a stake is selected, the hash multiplied by coin age and divided by diff is shown and if it is greater than 1 you find a block.

[quote=“virtualreality69, post:7, topic:1753”]I have a similar issue to derrend so I’m posting here.

• VR[/quote]
    your annual pos award should be 1.99 ppc. but due to large pos difficulty it is possible you can’t see anything for months
    especially if you mint only for 48 hours/week. there is nothing wrong with your wallet :slight_smile: