Major evolution for Peer4commit

I’ve thought a lot about funding and I can’t decide.

I’m not sure Peershares is the best way to fund it. I wouldn’t like funding to stop just because all the shares are sold. Peershares would be more suited if I wanted to start a project that would become self financing. That’s a possibility, but it’s not my first choice. I believe Peer4commit should follow the model it proposes and have its new features funded the same way any other project it hosts.

There may be a way to combine Peershares and Peer4commit funding by giving shares to anyone who donates to Peer4commit, and thus having a growing number of shares. That may even be the start of a decentralized Peer4commit blockchain. But that must be thought and discussed a lot more.

So there may be shares in the future but not right now. I don’t want to put Peer4commit development on hold because I can’t decide that. So the best way to make the proposed changes happen is to donate to http://peer4commit.com/projects/1. There are still funds so I’ll just start anyway (and other developers can of course join too).
I guarantee you that if I ever issue shares for this project, all the people who can prove they donated to the Peer4commit project in the past will be given shares. So make sure you send coins from an address you can sign with.

Awesome, and you already have the advantage of having some funding available. At present over 2600 PPC.
From what I gathered he is after a platform which can be built upon, but it is not very clear.

First step toward these changes: the ability for project maintainers to set a free amount per commit: https://github.com/sigmike/peer4commit/pull/88
Not merged nor deployed yet. To be discussed there.

Do you want this announced, or would you rather keep a low profile while working on it? The reason I ask is because I want to get people to donate to Peer4commit funding. Mentioning the contest might help spur some more donations, but it would also alert people to our plans, people who may be working on the same thing. Should I just ask for donations or is mentioning the contest fine? Is there a certain target goal you’d like to reach or no?

Nevermind, I left the contest details out and simply announced that a major overhaul of Peer4commit is currently underway and that donations were appreciated.

Another thing about this, just in case we did win it. It would raise the Peercoin team’s profile and gain us recognition from Bitcoin supporters for helping with one of their largest problems.

I think we should work on that as a community. So it seems better to keep it public. But if you think we have better chances to win by keeping it secret then we can work in a private group.

Here’s how I see it:
We work on Peer4commit mostly as planned. It should not affect us too much if we don’t win.
Until the deadline we focus on the features asked in the submission. The good point is these features are mostly in line with the Peer4commit proposal. We may add new features too if we fell like they fit.
We also focus on user experience to make everything easy to understand and use.
We also prepare a submission text describing how Peer4commit solves what’s asked in the bounty.
Maybe we also try to find a new name that would be less directly related to peercoin (the bounty is about bitcoin).

All this work would be rewarded with the Peer4commit fund.
If we win, the bounty goes to the peer4commit fund like any other donation.
Note that with the new Peer4commit we will be able to send funds from one project to another.
If we don’t win we will certainly have a very good project running anyway.

What do you think? Any idea on how to best take advantage of this bounty?

Once you guys win remember to tip a poor Peercoin college enthusiast for bringing it to Sentinelrv attention on reddit

Win the bounty!

give me the money :dance: :lol:

I think you are on the right track on how to go about it. And if we win, we might hire you full-time to further develop peer4commit.com and other key projects :wink: But only after deducting kschneezy’s tip of course :slight_smile:

But maybe you have even better ideas…

[quote=“kschneezy, post:28, topic:2321”]Once you guys win remember to tip a poor Peercoin college enthusiast for bringing it to Sentinelrv attention on reddit

Win the bounty!

give me the money :dance: :lol:[/quote]

:clap: for making me :lol: in the nicest way :wink: :pbjt:

And, for you Sigmike, we all know you are a Superstar! Make us proud! :pbjt:

I thought a bit about that, but actually I think the name is already quite good at least as a working name. Peer does not only refer to Peercoin (heritage) but also to peer-to-peer. This tool is all about peer-to-peer fundraising and jobs. And I don’t want to speculate here on alternative names, in case something brilliant comes up and we haven’t secured the domains yet.

I thought a bit about that, but actually I think the name is already quite good at least as a working name. Peer does not only refer to Peercoin (heritage) but also to peer-to-peer. This tool is all about peer-to-peer fundraising and jobs. And I don’t want to speculate here on alternative names, in case something brilliant comes up and we haven’t secured the domains yet.[/quote]

I thought about this as well and agree. It doesn’t just have to refer to Peercoin. I say we keep it. If you want, I can have a text logo made up to replace the one on the home page in the top left corner. It could use the little leaf for the i dot to be consistent. I would need to know what size it has to be though.

I designed some mockups for the new features: https://moqups.com/ouvrages/WzEk6ZNx/p:a06d7aab0

And I deployed the “free amount” change.

[quote=“sigmike, post:33, topic:2321”]I designed some mockups for the new features: https://moqups.com/ouvrages/WzEk6ZNx/p:a06d7aab0

And I deployed the “free amount” change.[/quote]
Very nice. Can’t wait.

Two things came to mind:

1. Maybe consider the ability to add a message for the donor
  2. Would be good to have both the project maintainer (or the team) and the facilitator mentioned.

You probably already thought about it, just in case.

Edit: and maybe some space to upload an optional picture reflecting the project (e.g. from imgur) e.g. logo, symbol etc.

What I’d like to see if pay upon issue completion more than just for a commit. You can assign a value to a particular thing getting done, but a particular issue is fairly arbitrary.

Isn’t the public comment the right place for that?
Maybe the user could provide a signature when he posts a comment, so the the website can show he’s a donor (and maybe how much he gave)?

But who is this? The associated GitHub project’s maintainer?

The description of the project will be in markdown format so you will be able to put links and images.

I forgot to add it in the examples but in the input where you can select commits or github users you’ll also be able to select an issue. When you do that the website adds into the recipients table everyone who contributed to the issue: the one who created it, anyone who added a comment, and all the commits (if it’s a pull request). So you can reward anyone who contributed to the issue.
And if you know who resolved a particular issue and only want to reward him, you can just type his github username.

I think I’ll add a free text along each recipient so that the fundraiser can explain why he rewarded him.

Isn’t the public comment the right place for that?
Maybe the user could provide a signature when he posts a comment, so the the website can show he’s a donor (and maybe how much he gave)?

But who is this? The associated GitHub project’s maintainer?

The description of the project will be in markdown format so you will be able to put links and images.[/quote]

1. Public comment is good, I missed that. Let people choose to leave a message or to stay anonymous

2. Have to be a free field for whoever is submitting the entry to peer4commit. Having said that I think we need to restrict who can submit a project to peer4commit. People can now add projects without the knowledge of the project maintainer. Either the project maintainer need to be automatically notified or if not possible only project maintainer(s) on Github can add their project to Peer4commit

3. Great, love images and symbols. Great for selling the project :wink:

…and I had another dream :wink: It is really something for future consideration and for the back of your mind. Integration with Peershares.
Being able to advertise an IPO on peer4commit and having a general portal where people can get information (links to websites, IPO papers etc.) would be great. You could even envisage linking directly into the IPO and enabling people to buy share through peer4commit portal (like an outlet). But maybe the Peershares team already have something like that in progress.

I’ve made good progress on the new peer4commit. I’ve deployed it only on testnet for now: http://testnet.peer4commit.com/

When this will be deployed to production existing projects will be kept. And projects that did not activate the tip holding will continue to send 1% of the balance to the authors of commits.

What changed:

Users can create projects not linked to GitHub.

Each project has a free detailed description text supporting markdown formatting.

Fundraisers can create and send distributions. They can distribute funds to email addresses, GitHub users and author of commits. More recipient types will be added (notably author of pull requests and Peercoin addresses).
The distribution can only be sent when all the recipients have set a peercoin address.

Users can add comments to projects, distributions and other users.

An history of the project and distribution modifications is kept in the database. It’s not displayed on the website yet but it will be soon.

So the first 2 parts of the major changes are almost ready: you can raise funds for any kind of project.

I will implement the multi-signature system later. I doesn’t seem critical for the bounty.
I will however add support for Bitcoin.

So until the 17th of June, I will focus on this:

1. Finish the existing feature.
  2. Add support for Bitcoin.
  3. Write the submission.

I’ll need help on all that.

The first 2 items require testing. Fell free to use and abuse the testnet version (http://testnet.peer4commit.com/): create projects, distribute testnet peercoins, find bugs, suggest changes, etc. If you need testnet peercoins you can get some on the faucet: http://testnet.peercoinfaucet.com/

Writing the submission require some marketing skills I miss. Is someone willing to work on that with me? Maybe we should start a work group or something.
I think this text (or a rewrite) will replace the FAQ page on the site.

I’m willing to reward these contributions with the peer4commit funds. I spent a lot of time on these changes but it won’t take all the available funds.
Or maybe we can start new peer4commit projects especially for that and prove the system works, even for itself.

I got a flash. The phrase “They can distribute funds to email addresses…” makes me think:
what if we can send coins directly from a wallet to an email address,a mobile phone (sms) ,a twitter,fb, or any other
mean of communication?
and the reverse ofcourse!
crazy? >:D