Listing Peercoin on Coinbase

Thanks @Justin618 and @Alex_Kim for joining @BlockchainsReward and I in the commitment to purchase through Coinbase! There is clearly a desire in the community and I hope that the developers are working toward meeting this need. I know that I get sick and tired of losing value due to exchanging via an intermediate cryptocurrency on my way from USD to PPC, and I bet I am not alone. While I mint perpetually, I would also like to grow my stake with minimal loss, so purchasing PPC directly via Coinbase would be a huge win for me.

You guys should be emailing coinbase.

Earlier in this thread, you, @Sentinelrv and @jacob added a lot of detail about what would be required, including information on the Rosetta API, so can we (as the user community) assume that all of this is done now that you’re back here telling us to go back to Coinbase again? In case you don’t recall, I opened this thread based on my repeated correspondence with Coinbase, so with all due respect to you @peerchemist, what exactly has been done to meet the criteria of Coinbase such that you’re pushing back on us users to query Coinbase yet again?

Not trying to be a dick here, but it’s almost as if you forgot and didn’t reread this thread. If all of the Rosetta API work is done and I’ve missed it then I humbly apologize for that oversight, but if it hasn’t been done (as outlined earlier in this thread) then what exactly are we supposed to be asking of Coinbase?

3 Likes

Rosetta et all is irrelevant if potential customers of Coinbase do not pressure them to start thinking about listing Peercoin. Emailing them about it will put it on a map, it will help when the time comes. That is all I am saying.

2 Likes

I have sent them many emails in the past, and only the latest of which did they respond positively as I noted at the start of this thread. I am more than happy to start reaching out to them again, but it’ll be in vain if the project hasn’t yet met their criteria for listing. If I email them today and they come back asking if their previous response has been acted upon based on their criteria they provided, what can I say? Is it completely incumbent on the user base to push Coinbase or can the project leadership (who would know the status of implementing Rosetta compatibility) also join in the effort of querying Coinbase? It seems to me that everyone, leadership and us lowly users alike, will benefit from Peercoin being listed on Coinbase to make investment easier as well as drawing in new users.

4 Likes

Having not seen a recent response from anyone, I went forward with the suggestion from @peerchemist and sent another request to Coinbase. This is another in a growing number of such requests I have sent to Coinbase. I will follow up here with any responses I receive from them so that Peercoin development folks can help meet the requirements.

Hi, I am writing again to request that Peercoin be listed on your service so that I can purchase PPC directly using USD. The Peercoin development community has suggested that I write to you about this, so I am. If there’s anything I can do as a user to facilitate the listing of PPC on your platform then please let me know so that I can take action as well as pass along this information to other users and the Peercoin development folks. Thank you!

3 Likes

Response received from Coinbase:

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the note! We are always open to new ideas and your suggestions are much appreciated.

Though I can’t provide any specifics about when and if we are planning on supporting additional cryptocurrencies on Coinbase.com, I’ve captured this feedback to pass along to our product team.

If you’re interested, you can see all of the digital currencies that we support at: https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2630943

Please also check out our blog post: https://blog.coinbase.com/new-asset-listing-process-a83ef296a0f3 about our process for adding new assets.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out!

All the best,
Coinbase Support

So, nothing new from that direction as far as I can tell, but at least I’ve rung the bell one more time.

5 Likes

That’s good thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

I emailed CB too. here was my message. CB is going public in 2021 and getting “green” for the new administration is something that may resonate w/ them.

“CB, I’m a big believer in crypto but, being eco-friendly, I can’t support Bitcoin and its energy waste. Peercoin was the first POS coin and has been running securely since 2012 at a negligible fraction of the energy use per unit. See here for history: https://www.benzinga.com/markets/cryptocurrency/20/07/16589995/from-peercoin-and-nxt-to-algorand-a-history-of-proof-of-stake . Please consider adding this to your portfolio as part of a eco friendly offering, like the green new deal. J”

5 Likes

It was mentioned previously that Rosetta was required for integration with Coinbase. We added this to our roadmap for 2021…

3 Likes

Thank you very much!!

2 Likes

dont still be so navy, without profit no platform will list ppc.

1 Like

Coinbase? Where we’re going, we won’t need coinbase :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yes, talk.peercoin.net is enough for us, just talking here is amazing.

This morning I spent a few minutes thumbing through their application process on Coinbase Asset Hub. It states:

Have you completed a Rosetta integration? This is a requirement for listing a native blockchain asset on Coinbase.

Question: my understanding is that v0.10 catches Peercoin up with Bitcoin core. Does that include Rosetta integration (since Coinbase obviously trades Bitcoin).

1 Like

v0.10 only refers to code upgrades to the core protocol. Rosetta is a separate piece of software, but it is on the list of non-protocol items that need to be completed.

1 Like

In my opinion Peercoin’s listing on Coinbase is one of the most important steps. Peercoin can not be successful without wide adoption. Don’t get me wrong: I am in Peercoin since 2013 and still think it’s a really great project and has everything to become an even better one (the green bitcoin). But without a solid userbase and sufficient funds it will have a hard time getting there. Coinbase would definitely fuel its development. Nevertheless: keep up your good work. Cheers.

5 Likes

Here’s the feedback I got from Coinbase:

Thanks for the note! We are always open to new ideas and your suggestions are much appreciated.

Though I can’t provide any specifics about when and if we are planning on supporting additional cryptocurrencies on Coinbase.com, I’ve captured this feedback to pass along to our product team.

If you’re interested, you can see all of the digital currencies that we support at: https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2630943

Please also check out our blog post: https://blog.coinbase.com/new-asset-listing-process-a83ef296a0f3 about our process for adding new assets.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out!

All the best,
Coinbase Support!

3 Likes

Thanks @Justin618 for helping to keep this on the radar! As we inch closer to a time when more folks will want to hold rather than trade incessantly, having a reliable way purchase PPC directly with fiat money, rather than purchasing BTC and then losing value when trading that for PPC, will be critical. I think it’s already critical, but who am I? :slight_smile:

Thanks also to @peerchemist and @Sentinelrv for their hard work and dedication to making this happen by ensuring that Rosetta is on the roadmap and not forgotten.

While I already contribute monthly to development via my Open Collective commitment, I would also consider chipping in something extra earmarked specifically for the Rosetta / Coinbase effort.

6 Likes

Team Peercoin

Just curious if there is any update on PPC being listed on coinbase. You guys have been around for a while so I’m surprised this hasn’t happened yet tbh.