Listing Peercoin on Coinbase

So I wrote to Coinbase today, after noticing how many coins they support now (haven’t been out there in a long time), asking if they’d yet considered listing Peercoin. Mind you, this is my third ask of them for listing PPC over the past few years, but at least a couple years since my last ask, and today’s answer was different than in the past. While I was blown off previously, much to my chagrin, today the response was quick and friendly with a link to their front door for asset listing:

My question for you guys is… has anyone, in an official capacity as a member/representative of the Peercoin project, taken this up with Coinbase to get Peercoin listed via their current asset listing application/process? I am very interested to purchase more Peercoin directly rather than flip-flopping from fiat to some intermediate crypto on Coinbase and then sending to some exchange to swap for PPC, and having a direct buy-in from fiat to PPC via Coinbase (where else, really?) would certainly help me push harder for adoption.

Anyone interested in pushing this officially?

10 Likes

We do plan on applying to Coinbase. We need to fulfill their list of requirements first though. One example is the establishment of a bug bounty program. We’ve made some progress on launching this, but just need to iron out some of the details.

Thanks for reaching out by the way!

6 Likes

I’ve been long on Peercoin for many, many years. I’ve held through thick and thin, staking all the while, and I plan to keep doing so. Adding to my hold directly without losing value through intermediate trades/transactions on the way from fiat to PPC is more important to me now than ever, so I sincerely hope you guys get this sorted out and secure the listing of PPC with Coinbase. If there’s anything I can do to support this effort then please reach out to me directly or as a “here’s what we need from the community” reply to this thread and let’s do this. Thanks for all you do guys!

1 Like

Hi @mwoliver ! I’m quite curious on which support you’re minting on. Do you use desktop wallet or a raspberry pi to mint ? By the way listing PPC on Coinbase would be great! It needs support from the community to do so.

1 Like

All of the above at various points in time. I even used to (unofficially) maintain a FreeBSD port for the desktop wallet which I ran in some FreeNAS jails. I may revive that work with the current desktop client pretty soon. At present, running Peercoin wallet and some other menial stuff on a Linux desktop on top of ESXi.

2 Likes
1 Like

What jacob wants to say is that CB now requires blockchain communities (or startups) to do integration for them, and this is done with this rosetta thing.

3 Likes

The link doesn’t seem to be working for me.

Thanks for the clarification @peerchemist :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m copy/pasting this from a Telegram conversation…

3 Likes

Okay so Rosetta integrations have a couple of layers:

1. Dockerfile which builds peercoin from source
  2. Rosetta API from within same Dockerfile

As for actually constructing the Rosetta API, you can either integrate the Rosetta flavored API into the current chain Daemon or you can create an adapter in JavaScript or somesuch.

The actual standard seems to be quite involved, basically it wants to know the total state of the chain in real time at any time, including the mempool.

But yeah I’m nearly certain that implementing this would get peercoin at the very least a hard look from coinbase.

3 Likes

If listing in coinbase wallet im buy 1000$ for peercoins

2 Likes

I’ll also commit to buy at least $1,000.00 of Peercoin once it’s listed on Coinbase. The exposure of Peercoin to the Coinbase community will be huge. If I had the skills to assist with this, I would, but in lieu of skill I can only offer money for development as well as the aforementioned commitment to buy once we’re listed on Coinbase. I’ve already joined the effort with recurring donation for development, but could even throw a bit more toward a concerted effort for Coinbase listing.

2 Likes

“If listing in coinbase wallet im buy 1000$ for peercoins”

+1 for me

2 Likes

“If listing in coinbase wallet im buy 1000$ for peercoins”

+1 for me

2 Likes

Thanks @Justin618 and @Alex_Kim for joining @BlockchainsReward and I in the commitment to purchase through Coinbase! There is clearly a desire in the community and I hope that the developers are working toward meeting this need. I know that I get sick and tired of losing value due to exchanging via an intermediate cryptocurrency on my way from USD to PPC, and I bet I am not alone. While I mint perpetually, I would also like to grow my stake with minimal loss, so purchasing PPC directly via Coinbase would be a huge win for me.

You guys should be emailing coinbase.

Earlier in this thread, you, @Sentinelrv and @jacob added a lot of detail about what would be required, including information on the Rosetta API, so can we (as the user community) assume that all of this is done now that you’re back here telling us to go back to Coinbase again? In case you don’t recall, I opened this thread based on my repeated correspondence with Coinbase, so with all due respect to you @peerchemist, what exactly has been done to meet the criteria of Coinbase such that you’re pushing back on us users to query Coinbase yet again?

Not trying to be a dick here, but it’s almost as if you forgot and didn’t reread this thread. If all of the Rosetta API work is done and I’ve missed it then I humbly apologize for that oversight, but if it hasn’t been done (as outlined earlier in this thread) then what exactly are we supposed to be asking of Coinbase?

3 Likes

Rosetta et all is irrelevant if potential customers of Coinbase do not pressure them to start thinking about listing Peercoin. Emailing them about it will put it on a map, it will help when the time comes. That is all I am saying.

2 Likes

I have sent them many emails in the past, and only the latest of which did they respond positively as I noted at the start of this thread. I am more than happy to start reaching out to them again, but it’ll be in vain if the project hasn’t yet met their criteria for listing. If I email them today and they come back asking if their previous response has been acted upon based on their criteria they provided, what can I say? Is it completely incumbent on the user base to push Coinbase or can the project leadership (who would know the status of implementing Rosetta compatibility) also join in the effort of querying Coinbase? It seems to me that everyone, leadership and us lowly users alike, will benefit from Peercoin being listed on Coinbase to make investment easier as well as drawing in new users.

4 Likes