Because @Vitalicus worked so hard on the romanian translations I went through and took another look. I was able to put together a script that cleans up and merges the transifex files how I wanted it to. I haven’t automated it but can run it when we add another language or make lots of changes to translations.
@Vitalicus - I’m not too sure at this point. Are the characters still correct but just bold? I’m not seeing this with any other language and it’s UTF-8 everywhere when I look at the php files themselves. I also added UTF-8 as default in the http header and as the default for php5-fpm on the server itself.
@ppcman - It seems they had issues with adding unicode support in php6 and ended up stripping it out and then jumping immediately to php7. The site you linked is copyrighted 2012 so maybe it’s an old post. It’s an interesting read either way though. Kinda frustrating that this hasn’t been simplified by now though :).
Anyone seeing issues with unicode characters in any of the other languages? I can’t reproduce it on my browser but urlpng or browserling does show the bolded characters for romanian.
There is still the old python script that has this:
for resource in resources:
o = requests.get(resource, cookies=cookies)
o.encoding = “utf-8”
I changed it from Lato to Open Sans, the font looks nice and from what I was able to test it fixed the display issue you were having at least in Firefox and Chrome. Internet Explorer 11 is still having problems but I’m not sure that really matters. I didn’t test Edge since it’s not available on Browserling.com.
Also pushed a new update of the romanian translations you made.
Please let me know if you’re still having issues. This new font still looks nice in my opinion and should make it more readable and compatible now that we’re adding more languages.