Issue decentralized securities using Peershare

I have posted a bounty of 0.4 BTC for a very simple Peershares.net website. Details can be found here: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2208.0

Maybe it would be cool if Super3 could design the page, that way we could keep consistency.

Great news! sigmike, creator of the Peercoin faucet and a seasoned C++ developer, has joined the Peershares team. If you read his posts, you will see he has demonstrated a remarkable capacity to understand subtle and complex blockchain issues.

The team now consists of FuzzyBear, sigmike and myself.

While there is still room for more C++ developers, we are especially in need of people who are able and willing to test our software.

[edit: sigmike learned of the opportunity from this thread, so no referral bonus will be paid]

Glad to see the team is forming from people already interested/invested in PPC.

We have once again added another talented individual to the Peershare team. fishwich will begin testing Peershare immediately, filling the gaping hole that was the QA department.

So, among developers we have sigmike, FuzzyBear and myself with Sunny contributing as an advisor on some architectural issues. Another developer is expected to officially join pending some formalities. Rounding out the team is fishwich doing QA for us.

It has been a pleasure to see the momentum increase so quickly this last week with this talented team working together. Peershare development is now progressing rapidly.

However, there is still more room on the team for testers and C++ developers, so contact me if you are interested via Bitmessage, PM or email: jlee at vistomail dot com

Sentinelrv was responsible for recruiting fishwich via this posting: http://www.reddit.com/r/peercoin/comments/1w1wte/peercoin_subproject_peershare_injected_with_500k/

So, Sentinelrv will get 10% of what fishwich is paid from now until June 30. Thank you Sentinelrv! I will contact him to make payment arrangements.

[quote=“Jordan Lee, post:54, topic:382”]Public investment

Finally, for those interested in investment: We are flattered by your confidence in us. Shares will be made available to the public when the software is mostly complete and running in the wild. Our reputation is very important to us and we opted not to take investment from the public (which in some cases is poorly informed) during the period of highest risk for this venture. We don’t want to take people’s money based on lofty promises about future accomplishments that would make us vulnerable to charges of being a scam. Additionally, because we are not yet saying much about what the extension of Peershare will do in order to maintain competitive advantage, we can’t market this right now.[/quote]

Thanks for the great job you are doing for the community.

I would like to say that some of us are willing to take early risks on projects. Why couldn’t you have 2 rounds of financing? One for people that want to get involved at a super early stage and are 100% comfortable with taking early risks and another for the rest of the community at a later stage.

Hello all, I wanted to alert you that Peershares vs Bitshares is being discussed on the Bitshares forum:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2759

which is what brought me here (my first post!).

Based on what I read in the OP of this thread, I feel confident in stating that the two concepts are vastly different. Bitshares is attempting to accomplish something far, far more ambitious (IMO more speculative) than Peershares. This is not without controversy and I refer anyone interested to several discussions that took place on bitcointalk last fall:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=279771.msg3214589#msg3214589
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=279771.msg3036037#msg3036037
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=279771.msg3282870#msg3282870
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=423000.msg4621908#msg4621908
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=325425.msg3610353#msg3610353

One of the issues is whether Bitshares violates the “Impossible Trinity”:

Another is that it uses a predictive market, but one in which there is: i) no deliverable (eg commodity or share) and ii) no delivery or settlement date (i.e. it’s at t=infinity). There is no external price feed, so the market is expected to set a consensus fair price. While this may work in theory, I can’t see anything that would have prevented its implementation on a centralized exchange in the past, ie. there’s nothing in the fundamental economics that requires it to be de-centralized. Since the idea of a predictive market has been around for 50+ years, smart financial entrepreneurs must have made the extrapolation (adding the conditions of no deliverable and no termination date) at some point and determined it to be unworkable. For this reason alone, I have skepticism about the Bitshares model and have elected to stay out of it.

Perhaps the most important point to be made is that anyone can invest in Peershares by proxy right now, by buying Peercoins. Because Peershares will issue dividends in Peercoins, the demand for Peercoins will rise quite a bit when Peershares are in real world use. Other ventures may adapt Peershare to be used with Bitcoin or Litecoin, but the implementation my team is building with the support of the Peershare investor will certainly use Peercoin for its dividends. Invest accordingly.

About early investment directly in Peershare:

1. The Peershare template is open source and cannot be monetized or profited from in its template form. Only a venture that implements a specific instance of Peershare to represent shares in their business can be profited from.
  2. The Peershare investor and I have designed such a specific instance of Peershare that we believe will be very profitable. The investor has provided the initial funds needed to develop the software, so the simple truth is there is no need for fundraising from other investors at this time.
  3. We intend to keep the details of our specific implementation quiet so that we can gain a first mover advantage against competitors that will inevitably emerge later. This means we cannot sell equity in the implementation now, because we are unwilling to say anything about the nature of the implementation. Our plan is to sell the equity once the development is done and the nature of the venture is public. At that time we believe there will be a lot of investors that recognize the value of our venture’s implementation and extension of Peershare, so shares will command a higher price later than they would now given all the unknowns at the present time.

So, it is neither practical nor in our interest to sell equity in our planned implementation and extension of Peershare at this time.

[quote=“Jordan Lee, post:85, topic:382”]We have once again added another talented individual to the Peershare team. fishwich will begin testing Peershare immediately, filling the gaping hole that was the QA department.

So, among developers we have sigmike, FuzzyBear and myself with Sunny contributing as an advisor on some architectural issues. Another developer is expected to officially join pending some formalities. Rounding out the team is fishwich doing QA for us.

It has been a pleasure to see the momentum increase so quickly this last week with this talented team working together. Peershare development is now progressing rapidly.

However, there is still more room on the team for testers and C++ developers, so contact me if you are interested via Bitmessage, PM or email: jlee at vistomail dot com[/quote]

1. Congrats on this great addition.

2. Do you need a Ruby developer?. I could rope in my friend who is based in Singapore.

when should we expect to see the beta

Sorry, we only need C++ developers at this time.

Perhaps the most important point to be made is that anyone can invest in Peershares by proxy right now, by buying Peercoins. Because Peershares will issue dividends in Peercoins, the demand for Peercoins will rise quite a bit when Peershares are in real world use. Other ventures may adapt Peershare to be used with Bitcoin or Litecoin, but the implementation my team is building with the support of the Peershare investor will certainly use Peercoin for its dividends. Invest accordingly.

About early investment directly in Peershare:

1. The Peershare template is open source and cannot be monetized or profited from in its template form. Only a venture that implements a specific instance of Peershare to represent shares in their business can be profited from.
  2. The Peershare investor and I have designed such a specific instance of Peershare that we believe will be very profitable. The investor has provided the initial funds needed to develop the software, so the simple truth is there is no need for fundraising from other investors at this time.
  3. We intend to keep the details of our specific implementation quiet so that we can gain a first mover advantage against competitors that will inevitably emerge later. This means we cannot sell equity in the implementation now, because we are unwilling to say anything about the nature of the implementation. Our plan is to sell the equity once the development is done and the nature of the venture is public. At that time we believe there will be a lot of investors that recognize the value of our venture’s implementation and extension of Peershare, so shares will command a higher price later than they would now given all the unknowns at the present time.

So, it is neither practical nor in our interest to sell equity in our planned implementation and extension of Peershare at this time.[/quote]

Ok, so you aren’t asking for funding from the community to protect your own self interests. This is fine and completely understandable. But, please stop with the BS that it’s about anything but that. Ok? I wish you well with the project and I’m still very interested in investing. :stuck_out_tongue:

There are eight phases planned, the last five of which are feature additions and enhancements. So, the software will be usable for its intended purpose at the conclusion of phase three. Currently, phase one is in testing and phase two is in development. While other businesses and ventures can easily create their own implementation of it at the conclusion of the third phase, my team will continue to develop our extension of Peershare for own business purpose which will consist of two or three phases.

So, while I can’t offer any dates, Peershare will be ready for other businesses to use at the conclusion of phase three while our extension of it will be available two or three phases after that.

@Jordan: I just saw this over on Hacker News and figured I’d share it in case you haven’t come across it yet.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7190592

Anything an average Joe can do to help out at the moment Jordan?

Actually we are happy to receive funding from the community, we just can’t give anything back directly to anyone who provides funding on this open source software, so we haven’t asked.

Allow me to wax a bit philosophical here. Good relationships, whether business or personal, will protect and enhance the selfish interests of everyone involved. Do the relationships I am building around the Peershare project protect my own selfish interests? Yes, they do. Do these same relationships also protect the selfish interests of the people on the other side of each relationship? Apparently, yes. Will Peershare protect the selfish interests of any business that chooses to implement it? I certainly hope so. If it can’t protect the selfish interests of a business, it won’t and shouldn’t be adopted. Will Peershare protect the selfish interests of a large number of shareholders of a variety of businesses? Yes. Will Peershare protect the selfish interests of Peercoin holders? Certainly.

So, Peershare isn’t about protecting just my selfish interests. Its about finding a way to enhance and advance the selfish interests of many, many people without harming the selfish interests of anyone directly involved.

I think what you are really complaining about is that you can’t find a way to have Peershare meet your own selfish interests at this time. That is understandably frustrating. I can’t figure out a way to invite investment from the public at this time in a way that meets public expectations for disclosure without compromising the probability of our extension of Peershare succeeding.

This is worth repeating: Because a business owner using Peershare must purchase Peercoins before he can distribute them as dividends, Peershare will certainly increase demand for Peercoins. So, if you are bullish on Peershare, buying Peercoins is the right trade.

Spread the word about our job openings for C++ developers and QA people. Let businesses that could benefit from using Peershares know about it. Finally, buy Peercoins so that the value of our development fund rises.

Everyone is here for the their own selfish interests.

Anyway, of course I own Peercoins. Good luck and I will be watching this thread for my own personal gain. ;D If I could help in any way, I would, but I barely know how to turn a computer on.

We have added yet another team member to the Peershares team: Ben, as he is known on this forum. He will be helping with quality assurance needs, documentation and (eventually) community outreach and training. He learned about the opportuity through this thread, so no referral fee will be paid.

For now, Ben and fishwich will fill out our QA needs. However, we are still looking for C++ developers.