IDEA: A PoW/PoS Namecoin?

So I’ve grown a renewed interest in Bitcoin and Altcoins out of Namecoin. The idea of a decentralized DNS is very attractive. Yet since it’s strictly a PoW cryptocurrency and network, getting a Namecoin or renewing for a single person seems like it’d be a bit more difficult. Peercoin’s PoW/PoS is also very attractive and I think the concept of PoW/PoS Namecoin clone would probably boost the decentralized domain market and push cryptocurrencies more into mainstream.

I see long-term value to be had in .bit domain since it’s decentralized. PoS would give an incentive to renew them.

PoW/PoS Namecoin based on PeerAssets?
If yes, then this is a good idea and with [PA RFC-0003] PeerAssets Alias/Proof-of-identity protocol it’s within reach.
If no, then Peercoin may be late. Emercoin has been a PoW/PoS hybrid coin with name services for some time.

If you want PoS/PoW Namecoin look up Emercoin. It is a Peercoin fork specialized for name services but it seems to pack far more features than Namecoin.

However if you want DNS service on general-purpose blockchain like Peercoin I guess you have to wait for PeerAssets RFC proposing DNS protocol.

2 Likes

If you want PoS/PoW Namecoin look up Emercoin. It is a Peercoin fork specialized for name services but it seems to pack far more features than Namecoin.

Oh. Well guess that answers that question.

However if you want DNS service on general-purpose blockchain like Peercoin I guess you have to wait for PeerAssets RFC proposing DNS protocol.

Well I considered more of a fork of Peercoin that allows for that kinda stuff though Emercoin seem to have already done then in the

I don’t think there’s much point in creating so many separate networks. If we can design a DNS system that runs on top of Peercoin, why not use that instead?