How many people would be interested in a lower cost mining service?

Please vote above! I’m trying to get as many responses as possible to gauge how feasible this would be. No obligations, commitment, etc.

I’m thinking of starting a mining service, with a lower price and no hassle. Who would be interested in something like this?

Details:

[ul][li]Pricing would come in at $5 to $10 per core, per month (at around 2GHz per core)[/li]
[li]I would also offer one-time setup services for those who want to get a VPS/dedicated by themselves and have me set it up. This would cost something like $10 one-time[/li]
[li]Likely Bitcoin or Primecoin only payment, since setting up USD payments is too much of a hassle (I’m in Canada, anyway)[/li]
[li]Root SSH would be possible, likely at a very low extra cost (something like $1 per month).[/li]
[li]The service would be targeted towards people who want to start mining but don’t have the technical know-how[/li]
[li]Beeeeer only perhaps, though any other miner shouldn’t be a problem (I don’t have much experience with other pools; this might cost a little more (maybe another dollar)).[/li]
[li]If you don’t choose SSH, you can pay the same amount (again, the dollar) to have access to the mining stats (just the log that the miner outputs) through a URL.[/li][/ul]

So here’s the business model. It’s very simple:
You pay for a month, and I set up the system for you, start you off mining on beeeeer (which I think is the best pool), or whatever other pool. SSH access and miner log is possible (as outlined above).

I’m just seeing if there’s sufficient interest for me to launch a larger-scale project (website, billing system, etc.). If I decide not to launch but you’re still interested (or if you want this right away), just send me a PM and we can work something out.

Cheers,
Alfred

I think their is a typo in your thread title. Here i fixed it for you.

How many people would be interested in a higher cost mining service?

Non of your costs are lower than a few of the large VPS providers.

DigitalOcean is $5 per core as well. I don’t know of any other (cheap) VPS provider that allows Primecoin mining. If you know any, please tell me! :smiley:
I’m also taking into account the cost of managing the service. The VPSes are unmanaged; this acts as a barrier to entry for non-technical people who don’t want to touch the command line.

In addition to this, I’m predicting that if lots of people sign up, we’ll have returns to scale (volume discounts).

Surely it’d be easier & much cheaper to just buy primecoins rather than paying $5 a month & possibly getting $2 worth of coins.

I would expect you to release stats from these cores. Meaningful stats. Something that can be accurately correlated to real world income. For example, I would want to know how many Primecoins, on average, I can expect per day based on historic sampling.

At 2ghz, I would be curious to see if these bring in 4.5 Primecoins a month per core. Otherwise your money is better spent on buying Primecoins directly instead of mining.

I think you would earn more than $5 a month selling your computer to a peer-2-peer cloud compute service.

There are 720 hours approximately in a month. Have you calculated the cost of electricity per hour of running these computers? I assume you might have received these from a recycling department, if so, they might not be energy efficient even if your equipment cost is zero.

I have lots of old computers lying around that aren’t even affordable to mine with, even though they were free. The only profitable machines were some laptops but they have overheated and died. So, if you are looking for a good free mining rig, ask for someone’s old laptop. Very low power consumption and after all they aren’t going to use it anymore.

Although, you would probably make more money selling your laptop cycles on a cloud compute service. But if you don’t want to handle the paperwork, then linux and primecoin is the best method.

[quote=“okzx, post:5, topic:1942”]I would expect you to release stats from these cores. Meaningful stats. Something that can be accurately correlated to real world income. For example, I would want to know how many Primecoins, on average, I can expect per day based on historic sampling.

At 2ghz, I would be curious to see if these bring in 4.5 Primecoins a month per core. Otherwise your money is better spent on buying Primecoins directly instead of mining.[/quote]

You do have a point here. I have to test the cores a bit more, I’ll get back to you with some stats soon. At $5/month, anything 2.5XPM/month would be profitable. At $9, it would be the 4.5XPM.

These would be from dedicated cloud cores in bulk, not my computers.

[quote=“alfred, post:7, topic:1942”][quote=“okzx, post:5, topic:1942”]I would expect you to release stats from these cores. Meaningful stats. Something that can be accurately correlated to real world income. For example, I would want to know how many Primecoins, on average, I can expect per day based on historic sampling.

At 2ghz, I would be curious to see if these bring in 4.5 Primecoins a month per core. Otherwise your money is better spent on buying Primecoins directly instead of mining.[/quote]

You do have a point here. I have to test the cores a bit more, I’ll get back to you with some stats soon. At $5/month, anything 2.5XPM/month would be profitable. At $9, it would be the 4.5XPM.[/quote]

With todays diff that is not possible. Expect something like 1.2 XPM per month per core.
I have 24 cores at 2.4 GHz mining. In 2.5 months I have mined 81 XPM

[quote=“Tomasz, post:8, topic:1942”]With todays diff that is not possible. Expect something like 1.2 XPM per month per core.
I have 24 cores at 2.4 GHz mining. In 2.5 months I have mined 81 XPM[/quote]

Indeed. Yet at today’s diff, I’d also expect the price to be a bit higher. We’ll see how this goes.

Due to a lack of interest, I will not be building a service. However, if you are interested still, please send me a PM, and I’ll be glad to set you up!