Get setup with a PeerCoin wallet

It’s not supposed to be in front of every line then, I guess?

This has all got to get down to LAYMAN terms. I know you guys are all techies. And this virtual money is a big fad. For me, it could be an investment (that is all). I don’t understand most of what you guys talk about. So you can just about take out 90% of the population. They can’t or wont be using it. If they can’t get it easy. They wont be using it. I had a hell of a time just buying 1 coin. Let alone learning all the exchanges, how to mine, how to protect it, etc.

I am just letting you know because sooner or later it is going to go over the top DOWNWARD… It makes no sense to spend a half of a day to get a virtual currency that can be stolen. Like today where so much BITCOIN dissapeared out of Inputs io. See ya to a million worth of money. Yet, the owner could be the hacker… Insurance forget it… Promises, chargebacks, etc. It is just cray to think it will end up anywhere. Especially with so many types…

I do wish all good luck and hope you guys make money. But you are only making it off of those 3-5% that will risk it, and savy enough to understand it… No real big money will ever into it UNLESS it gets much easier to process.

I would love for it to be centralized, so it can be trusted. I would love to invest (buy it easily)… Until that happens…

Think i have my wallet sorted :slight_smile:

This should be the receive address.

PPC - PCiLA7cqng7rU5aSKWzoewByNAru4oAH4U

Do agree with the poster above, you have to jump many hoops before you are able to get something done.

After removing the ‘#’ in front of rpcpassword and rpcusername i can finally get the program running and it won’t say error on my password again.

Can someone explain why on earth there are ‘#’ in front of those lines in the example: Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!
If they are not supposed to be there ???

Are there any other # i need to remove before the program will finally start syncing?

An exact copy of my ppcoin.conf file looks like this now, what else needs to be changed?:

# ppcoin.conf configuration file. Lines beginning with # are comments.

### Network-related settings

# Run on the test network instead of the production PPCoin network
#testnet=0

# Connect via a SOCKS4 proxy (default: none)
#proxy=127.0.0.1:9050

# Accept incoming connections
#listen=1

# Enable UPnP negotiation with router/firewall to accept incoming connections
#upnp=1

#################################################################
##           Quick Primer on 'addnode' vs 'connect'            ##
##                                                             ##
##  Let's say for instance you use 'addnode=4.2.2.4'.          ##
##  'addnode' will connect you to and tell you about the       ##
##    nodes connected to 4.2.2.4.  In addition it will tell    ##
##    the other nodes connected to it that you exist so        ##
##    they can connect to you.                                 ##
##  'connect' will not do the above when you 'connect' to it.  ##
##    It will *only* connect you to 4.2.2.4 and no one else.   ##
##  So if you're behind a firewall, or have other problems     ##
##  finding nodes, add some using 'addnode'.                   ##
##  If you want to stay private, use 'connect' to only         ##
##  connect to "trusted" nodes.                                ##
##  If you run multiple nodes on a LAN, there's no need for    ##
##  all of them to open lots of connections.  Instead          ##
##  'connect' them all to one node that is port forwarded      ##
##  and has lots of connections.                               ##
##            Thanks goes to [Noodle] on Freenode.             ##
#################################################################

# Use as many addnode= settings as you like to connect to specific peers
addnode=66.90.146.146
addnode=91.156.102.128
addnode=110.174.124.20
addnode=67.14.164.114
addnode=37.209.40.22
addnode=50.71.216.165
addnode=109.108.236.208
addnode=173.28.37.150
addnode=68.102.86.156
addnode=213.251.187.24
addnodd=188.134.122.31
addnode=72.38.179.122

# ... or use as many connect= settings as you like to ONLY connect
# to specific peers:
#connect=69.164.218.197
#connect=10.0.0.1:8333

# Maximum number of inbound+outbound connections
#maxconnections=64

### JSON-RPC options (for controlling a running PPCoin-Qt/ppcoind process)

# Enable JSON-RPC commands with PPCoin-Qt
#server=0

# You must set rpcuser and rpcpassword to secure the JSON-RPC API
rpcuser=bitcoinrpc
rpcpassword=mypassword

# How many seconds PPCoin will wait for a complete RPC HTTP request
# after the HTTP connection is established.
#rpctimeout=30

# By default, only RPC connections from localhost are allowed.  Specify
# as many rpcallowip= settings as you like to allow connections from
# other hosts (and you may use * as a wildcard character):
#rpcallowip=10.1.1.34
#rpcallowip=192.168.1.*

# Listen for RPC connections on this TCP port:
#rpcport=9902

# You can use ppcoind to send commands to ppcoind
# running on another host using this option:
#rpcconnect=127.0.0.1

# Use Secure Sockets Layer (also known as TLS or HTTPS) to communicate
# with ppcoind
#rpcssl=1

# OpenSSL settings used when rpcssl=1
#rpcsslciphers=TLSv1+HIGH:!SSLv2:!aNULL:!eNULL:!AH:!3DES:@STRENGTH
#rpcsslcertificatechainfile=server.cert
#rpcsslprivatekeyfile=server.pem

### Miscellaneous options

# Set gen=1 to attempt to generate PPCoins using built-in CPU mining
#gen=0

# Use SSE instructions to try speeding up PPCoin generation
# with built-in CPU mining.
#4way=1

# Pre-generate this many public/private key pairs, so wallet backups will be
# valid for both prior transactions and several dozen future transactions.
#keypool=100

# Pay transaction fee amount per kilobyte. Default 0.01 (1 cent)
# Minimum required 0.01 (1 cent)
#paytxfee=0.01

# Reserve amount of PPCoins to not use in proof-of-stake
# (stake is withheld from spending for 520 blocks)
#reservebalance=0

[quote=“pipelight1, post:62, topic:45”]This has all got to get down to LAYMAN terms. I know you guys are all techies. And this virtual money is a big fad. For me, it could be an investment (that is all). I don’t understand most of what you guys talk about. So you can just about take out 90% of the population. They can’t or wont be using it. If they can’t get it easy. They wont be using it. I had a hell of a time just buying 1 coin. Let alone learning all the exchanges, how to mine, how to protect it, etc.

I am just letting you know because sooner or later it is going to go over the top DOWNWARD… It makes no sense to spend a half of a day to get a virtual currency that can be stolen. Like today where so much BITCOIN dissapeared out of Inputs io. See ya to a million worth of money. Yet, the owner could be the hacker… Insurance forget it… Promises, chargebacks, etc. It is just cray to think it will end up anywhere. Especially with so many types…

I do wish all good luck and hope you guys make money. But you are only making it off of those 3-5% that will risk it, and savy enough to understand it… No real big money will ever into it UNLESS it gets much easier to process.

I would love for it to be centralized, so it can be trusted. I would love to invest (buy it easily)… Until that happens…[/quote]

Thank you for your comment, very valid points. If you saw our NYT article, my last quote was:

“challenge is to take this out of the geek world and make it something my mom could use.”

Our volunpeers have already begun this process, it’s one of my top priorities here.

Could you take a sec to answer my question :-\ (previous post)

The guy in this video can sync without the conf file, why is that

I’m looking into that one, Steed. In theory, you should not need the [font=courier]addnode=[/font] settings, because the client should be able to connect directly to the nodes.

My working theory is that you (and I, because I needed to do the same thing) have a non-standard network configuration at your house/office. In my case, I have a Verizon router that then gets passed through my wifi router.

There may be ways to address this without the ppcoin.conf file by setting up a port forward in your router administration panel, but I don’t want to recommend anything like that until I’m sure it won’t be a security concern.

Isn’t there at least a way to load a backup of my wallet into another program or website so I can retrieve my coins?

Here’s the exact ppcoin.conf file that I use (minus my rpcuser and rpcpassword, you’ll need to set those up for whatever you want).

# ppcoin.conf configuration file. Lines beginning with # are comments.
# Network-related settings:

# Run on the test network instead of the real peercoin network.
#testnet=0

# Connect via a socks4 proxy - default none
#proxy=127.0.0.1:9050

# Accepting incoming connections
listen=1

# UPnP
#upnp=1

# Use as many addnode= settings as you like to connect to specific peers
addnode=66.90.146.146
addnode=91.156.102.128
addnode=110.174.124.20
addnode=67.14.164.114
addnode=37.209.40.22
addnode=50.71.216.165
addnode=109.108.236.208
addnode=173.28.37.150
addnode=68.102.86.156
addnode=213.251.187.24
addnodd=188.134.122.31
addnode=72.38.179.122

# ... or use as many connect= settings as you like to connect ONLY
# to specific peers:
#connect=69.164.218.197
#connect=10.0.0.1:8333

# Maximum number of inbound+outbound connections.
maxconnections=64

# JSON-RPC options (for controlling a running Bitcoin/bitcoind process)
# server=1 tells PPcoin-QT to accept JSON-RPC commands.
server=1

# You must set rpcuser and rpcpassword to secure the JSON-RPC api
rpcuser=troubleshooting
rpcpassword=123troubleshooting567

# How many seconds peercoin will wait for a complete RPC HTTP request.
# after the HTTP connection is established.
rpctimeout=30

# By default, only RPC connections from localhost are allowed. Specify
# as many rpcallowip= settings as you like to allow connections from
# other hosts (and you may use * as a wildcard character):
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcallowip=192.168.1.*

# Listen for RPC connections on this TCP port:
rpcport=9902

# You can use ppcoind to send commands to ppcoind
# running on another host using this option:
#rpcconnect=

# Use Secure Sockets Layer (also known as TLS or HTTPS) to communicate with ppcoind
#rpcssl=1

# OpenSSL settings used when rpcssl=1
#rpcsslciphers=TLSv1+HIGH:!SSLv2:!aNULL:!eNULL:!AH:!3DES:@STRENGTH
#rpcsslcertificatechainfile=server.cert
#rpcsslprivatekeyfile=server.pem

# Pre-generate this many public/private key pairs, so wallet backups will be valid for
# both prior transactions and several dozen future transactions.
#keypool=100

#The reserve balance field is the minimum amount of coins you want to have available and NOT put up as stake.  
#The reason for this is that if you are generating proof of stake you cannot spend those coins for 520 blocks.
#reservebalance=10000

The relevant settings that I think are getting in the way for your are:

listen=1 maxconnections=64 rpcport=9902

If that doesn’t seem to help, we can look to see what steps you need to take to copy your wallet data into another client running on a separate machine, but I’m hoping it won’t get to that.

Really appreciate your help.

I changed the .conf file to the same as yours, and I can start the ppcoind.exe program and open help etc from cmd. So at least I can follow the steps from the 2nd post of this topic work now…

But when I open ppcoin-qt.exe there still are 0 connections.

It’s definitely not blocked by a firewall and I never have connection problems with any other program

Where is the ppcoind.exe file for anyway? It can’t run at the same time as ppcoin-qt.exe?

And don’t I need to change those setting if you think those are the ones getting in my way?

But most importantly, when I bought the PPC and sent them to my wallet address, they definitely arrived despite me having not setup anything before I did that?

Yes, if those three settings from the [font=courier]ppcoin.conf[/font] file that you have don’t match what I listed above, please uncomment them and try it again.

It’s also worth trying to do a system reboot after you make and save the changes, to ensure that the Peercoin daemon wasn’t running in the background and didn’t get the configuration changes.

But most importantly, when I bought the PPC and sent them to my wallet address, they definitely arrived despite me having not setup anything before I did that?

As long as you had previously set up an address using the PPCoin-qt client, and that’s the same address that you provided to the exchange that you bought your PPC at, you’re transaction is fine. PPCoin-qt just needs to make the connection to the Peercoin protocol so that it can get the new blockchain updates (of which, your transaction will be part) and at that point you should see the funds appear in your wallet.

If you would like me to check, I can take a look at the blockchain to see if I can find that transaction. To do that I’d just need the “incoming” address (yours) that you asked the exchange to send to. If you’re not comfortable posting that publicly, you’re welcome to send it to me in a PM. There’s nothing I can do with that information other than to look for it in the blockchain.

EDIT: In case you’d rather look it up yourself, and not pass along your address information, here’s the link to a blockchain explorer for PPC: http://www.cryptocoinexplorer.com:2750/

My wallet address is: PH4rmdGA3o2m2QmUCQorW8JzLLE2d6xFus

As long as I know they’re there I dont worry too much. I could make a backup of the wallet file and check back again in a year or so hoping there is an easier way to use the software :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: ok great thanks, I see they are there :slight_smile:

wallet files will always work with future versions of the client?

Woohoooo

For some reason it just started working ;D

Sent you a little donation as a thank you :wink:

Hi guys,
I have installed PPcoin Wallet, created ppcoin.conf file with all that things which are on this thread, but it is still not connected. I have 0 active connection and I don’t have idea where could be the problem. I tried install also litecoin wallet and I have the same problem.
Is there someone who knows how can I solve it?
Thank you

I’m not sure how the wallet “finds” the nodes but, would pinging them by ip to create an arp entry help? Perhaps pinging them by name to create a local cached dns entry for initial seed?

Ping does not help. I tried ping 188.134.122.31 and others and it was unsuccessful.

If yours does not work after being open for an extended period of time then I would check to ensure that ant-virus/windows firewall/hardware firewall are not blocking it.

I’ve practically done nearly everything suggested in this thread and I still get 0 active connections, and none of the blocks will download.

At one point, I had tried Ben’s ppcoin.conf file and it worked, giving me 1 active connection, but not downloading the blocks, I go AFK for about 10 minutes, then return to notice 0 active connections again.

Hi guys,

For the first time ever yesterday i installed PPcoin Wallet as I purchased some PPCoins but still don’t have them showing in my wallet. I only have the wallet on pc and not sure if anything else is required.

1. Downloaded the application
  2. All the blocks finished the download
  3. I clicked on receive and create new address
  4. Sent that address to whoever is sending me the coins
  5. Its been almsot 10 hours and I don’t see antying in my wallet or transactions tab.

Please let me know what i am doing wrong as I already paid for them and I know that the person sent it.

PPCoinz, can you post the wallet address that you sent those to? We can take a look in the block chain and see what’s going on with them.