Fundraiser Peercoin video through peer4commit.com

Great to see that we passed the halfway mark for our first 900 PPC target.

Thanks Redlee, Blockmines, Drummel and many anonymous others. Also thanks to the team for going with this fundraiser to all the social media and beyond.
Good work and I think it shows that we all agree that we need this video desperately.

I think we are getting a bit of wind in the back with the fundraising, as our beloved Peercoin is making attempts to increase in value again.

As you might have read in the other thread Overkillcoin is prepared to start with a script.

Question: Would it be fair to pay a small amount (say 20%) at the end of the week as a sign of goodwill? Even if we haven’t raised all the funds yet. Also a good incentive for him to do his best.

I would support that depending whether he does a good job this week, but keen to hear your thoughts.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:21, topic:2118”]Great to see that we passed the halfway mark for our first 900 PPC target.

Thanks Redlee, Blockmines, Drummel and many anonymous others. Also thanks to the team for going with this fundraiser to all the social media and beyond.
Good work and I think it shows that we all agree that we need this video desperately.

I think we are getting a bit of wind in the back with the fundraising, as our beloved Peercoin is making attempts to increase in value again.

As you might have read in the other thread Overkillcoin is prepared to start with a script.
Would it be fair to pay a small amount (say 20%) at the end of the week as a sign of goodwill? Even if we haven’t raised all the funds yet. Also a good incentive for him to do his best.

I would support that depending whether he does a good job this week, but keen to hear your thoughts.[/quote]
Well done for driving this Cybernate :slight_smile: and pleased to see the donations racking up and the target nearing completion very quickly :slight_smile: hats off to the community :slight_smile:

Fuzzybear

[quote=“Cybnate, post:21, topic:2118”]Question: Would it be fair to pay a small amount (say 20%) at the end of the week as a sign of goodwill? Even if we haven’t raised all the funds yet. Also a good incentive for him to do his best.

I would support that depending whether he does a good job this week, but keen to hear your thoughts.[/quote]

I would say maybe we should wait until we see what his script looks like. We know he can make videos, but we don’t really know yet what his understanding of Peercoin is. He said he’ll be researching it first, so that makes me optimistic. I say after we take a look at what he submits, if it’s good enough then release something for his work there.

We’re over 1,000 PPC! We should shoot for a minute long video now instead of 30 seconds, or two 30 second videos. Just doubling the goal should put us at 1,800 PPC that we need to raise. Cybnate, can you change the target goal on Peer4commit?

Over 1,100 PPC at time of writing. I’m impressed, when I started this, I thought to give this at least a week and then we see how we go. But here we are after just 3 days going for the stretch target. Awesome community.

900 PPC Target reached
That means the first target of at least a 30 second brand new video is reached. Don’t think it will be too hard to get a 60 second video out of 1,100 PPC subject to negotiations.
We would also have professional voice-over and hope fully we can have a few copies with different subtitles for e.g. Chinese, Spanish and maybe Russian? Just to reach as many people as we can.
We might need some translators for that as soon we have the final script.

Stretch target of 1,800 PPC
So we are now going for the stretch target of 1,800 PPC, which would probably give us as at least 2 videos of 60+ seconds or one long one with a core message and a modular extended message which we can play as a whole or both standalone. Your wallet is your voice.

And don’t forget to chime in on the video thread, your contribution is appreciated: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2537

Here is the donation link again: http://peer4commit.com/projects/68

Sent 15. I look forward to this video and hope it can rival Bitcoin’s “What is Bitcoin?” video.

Great it all helps, and it would be great to even come close to that. We might put an incentive in for @overkillcoin for hitting e.g. over 100k views of video on Youtube. Have to think about how that would best work.

Is there a bonus for the professional video maker if the video is a hit according to some objective measure?

There is no bonus at the moment. I’m not sure about as it is only partially in control of the video maker. Content and distribution still sit with us. Let’s see how we go with funding in the next few days.

Keen to hear what kind of objective measures you had in mind though. Youtube hits? Local TV channel airing, National TV channel airing in any country?

Edit: we can also run some competition for the community for reaching targets like the above. Just need to figure out how such targets can be traced to one or more community members.

just 600 PPC to go 8)

Woot! Only 74 more PPC to 1,800. Should we bump the target up again to 2,700? That would be either a 1 minute and 30 second video or three 30 second videos. I’m so surprised at the progress we’ve made. The first day or two I thought it was going to be a struggle raising anything.

Let’s not talk in seconds. Instead, talk in # of small videos.

I’m worried we’ll short change ourselves if we keep talking about how a video has to be exactly 30 seconds

In this post: peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2537.msg21908#msg21908

I had said:

re: 30 seconds, 90 seconds, or even 2 minutes

The original overkillcoin video was 2 minutes. Granted, there was a lot of animation in it, which shows it the amount of work required.

There were moments though, where there was nothing more than a static image on the screen for a second, while the narrator took time to speak.

I fully believe that based on the script, and the amount of animation required, that overkill coin could easily expand our video to 90 seconds to 2 minutes with simple narration in certain parts without needing a lot of work for cartoon animation.

The import part here is the script. I think if we’re paying overkillcoin in PPC, and this video gets released, he is more apt to holding his PPC while our price increases anyway. So he’ll do the video justice.

If there is a single segment of the video that lasts 10-15 seconds long, where the speaker is talking, with a Peercoin logo on the screen, from the production standpoint “that is cheap and easy to do”, so I doubt he’d bill that into the cost of production the same way as if he had cartoon images flipping at 30 frames /second.

So the video could be stretched with some non-animation parts, with simple voice overs, lasting 10 seconds or so, bringing our timeline a little longer.

@overkillcoin,

If overkillcoin is reading this, and gets what I’m trying to explain, please hop in and mention so?

By the way, I know there is a careful balance between “information overload”, where you put down too many points, and confuse the viewer, and the opposite “the video is too quick, and its hard to learn or grasp any concepts because they flip by so fast”

We don’t want a video too quick, or too long. LOL.

In the video production industry, it is actually harder to shoot a 30 second commercial than it is to shoot a 10 minute short believe it or not. When you’re playing with 1/2 seconds on the timeline for a commercial, it can be an editing nightmare to get it so the jumpcuts make sense.

I was thinking something more direct, the PPC/BTC price ;D Granted there are many factors that affect prices but the uncertainty is shared both by the video maker and us. PPC/USD is not as good because it has a big BTC/USD component.

agreed, we can start with it right? and if it was succesful, we can do it again later?

(edit: of course we want as many people to see this as possible, but you can just buy youtube views… )

Cybnate, do you have the ability to actually stop the fundraiser when it reaches the goal, or is that not part of the functionality of the website? I say we should probably stop pushing for donations like others here have said, but leave the fundraiser open on Peer4commit. What we have now is a good starting point. If people visiting Peer4commit see our project though and want to donate over the 1,800 PPC goal, I’m not going to stop them.

It’s great to see that we have almost reached the stretched target within a week. I like to thank everyone who donated and made this a big success. Also many thanks to everyone spreading the message.
On the topic on raising the bar further, I agree with other posters that we should leave it by this for now. Let’s start focussing on getting the video produced and get it out there educating all those people who are not yet in the know :slight_smile:

@sentinelrv, I don’t have the ability to stop the fundraiser, but we can stop actively pushing for it when we are at 1800 PPC (after today?). When people see we have reached the goal they won’t donate probably. If they still do we can always use that for another video later or as the charter allows spend some coins on actively distributing and promoting the video.

My 0.02 cents

1. Quality of the video outweighs the length. We might need to assess the feedback of the two 30s video before moving further.
  2. We can do the Chinese subtitle translation.

[quote=“redlee, post:37, topic:2118”]My 0.02 cents

1. Quality of the video outweighs the length. We might need to assess the feedback of the two 30s video before moving further.
  2. We can do the Chinese subtitle translation.[/quote]
    Re 1 Agree, we shouldn’t have too many static pictures. It should be quality video.
    Re 2 That is great. Thanks.

One or two areas where I think we can have static images is at the beginning or the end. For example, after the main content of the video plays, at the end it shows off our logo with one of the images below and the narrator says “Peercoin, The secure and sustainable cryptocoin.” It would be similar to a TV commercial where the company shows off their logo at the end…

Half-poking fun to reiterate a point, but half-serious on how you all think we should handle this:

If the video isn’t 30 seconds, but turns out to be 55 seconds instead, should we cut it down this way:

a) talk really quickly?

b) remove some of the points in the video to give less information? ie: “Peercoin is good. buy some. 30 seconds up”.

c) Try to squish every thing in by putting lots of information on the screen and hope the user pauses the video manually?

Is the goal 30 seconds exactly?

It’s kind of funny. We know we want a video, and we’re all pretending to be directors. I think we let overkillcoin guide us here. Strangely enough we haven’t heard too much from overkillcoin lately. I was really hoping to hear more about what he has in mind and what we need to provide.

(I know we’re still fundraising, but we could get started)

Some times you let the client dictate every thing, and it turns out to be a bad video, but that’s what the client ordered.

Other times, you take some one who has proven talent with (see overkillcoin video) and let his expertise decide.

I don’t want our community to dictate too much, micromanage overkillcoin and turn out a bad video as a result.

(I’m sure none of us want that)

It doesn’t have to be exactly 30 seconds.

30 seconds is barely enough time to click on the video, let it start playing, checking your volume on your speakers and then start getting focused. The first 5 or 6 seconds is your time to acclimatize and get you into the zone. That only leaves 24 seconds to get your point across.

We chose overkillcoin based on his proven talent on the overkillcoin video. The overkillcoin video was 2 minutes. I think that was a reasonable length. If you want to “chop up” the overkill video and re-mix a new video you could do that from the 2 minute video (example: 30 second TV commercial version)

I think we should be trying for longer than 30 seconds here, I really do.