Forum Security

fuzzy@anonymized.invalid

hmm ok looks like bitcointalk was running on SMF version 1.8 or before!! this is running on 2.0.5 so that exploit has been closed so we are safe on here from that threat as far as i can tell for now, will look round more for more info

this is thought to be the exploit http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/39007

FuzzyBear

Yeah I was doing the analysis on the hack. You should be fine since you are using an upgraded version.

it is a known bug in 1.1.8? if so, why isnt bitcointalk back online (theymos said:“The forum won’t go back up until I know how this was done, so it could be down for a while.”)

[quote=“irritant, post:4, topic:392”]it is a known bug in 1.1.8? if so, why isnt bitcointalk back online (theymos said:“The forum won’t go back up until I know how this was done, so it could be down for a while.”) [/quote]He really just needs to upgrade the forum and put it back online.

Thanks super3 for your replies and i saw you were involved in the detection of the bitcointalk bug… its left you thinking the same as myself in that bitcointalk should just update to latest SMF version, though I imagine they have probably some plugin installed that doesn’t work on later versions, is the only reason I could come up with tbh, but yeah as far as i can see unless something else arrises then we are all safe here :slight_smile:

FuzzyBear

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:6, topic:392”]Thanks super3 for your replies and i saw you were involved in the detection of the bitcointalk bug… its left you thinking the same as myself in that bitcointalk should just update to latest SMF version, though I imagine they have probably some plugin installed that doesn’t work on later versions, is the only reason I could come up with tbh, but yeah as far as i can see unless something else arrises then we are all safe here :slight_smile:

FuzzyBear[/quote]As someone who has run a major forum before, as long as you keep your forum up to date and weekly backups you should be fine in all cases. The problems start to happen when you get lazy, and don’t do those things.

i hear the bug was disabled and it was something else (the hack), when they’re back online there would be a full report on this