Example Proposal for Marketing Director:50,000 peercoin needed (6 month term)

fair enough :slight_smile:
just open a peer4commit project and see how it goes. as long as you have donated funds you may proceed.
it could be on a montly basis, perhaps 1,2 or 3 months are enough.
i am not sure though that ppc is on the verge of distruction. it all depends on speculators, dev team ofcourse
and all the new projects comming up all the time, some are very interesting and get all the funding.
in the later case how ppc can outrun them?

Itā€™s surprising that most of the Peercoin big holders donā€™t seem to feel concerned by Peercoinā€™s future :-/

I personally think that SK is slowly stepping down from Peercoin development like Satoshi did a few years ago.

In the case of Bitcoin, development has been taken up by the Bitcoin foundation, what is planned for Peercoin?

One of the major strength of Peercoin is to be very similar to Bitcoin, derived from it, we can benefit from Bitcoin improvements pretty easily, we should focus on that.

We are not the only PoS coin anymore and some are probably doing already better than we do, better not forget it.

I finally think that we should get rid of that anonymity obsession if we want to get main stream and gain users and merchants confidence.
Most bitcoin core developers are well known people and it is mostly the case for the major trending alt-coins (ethereum, ripple, nxt, monero, etc.).

TomJoad makes some good observations about what happened at Bitshares. This raises another question: How does the success or failure of a marketing director get measured? PPC price? Market capitalization? Month-to-month changes of these? Charles Hoskinson (formerly of ethereum) argues that these are just vanity metrics in the crypto space, reflecting investors short-term obsession with seeing capital appreciation of their holdings. These markets ā€“ including Bitcoinā€™s ā€“ are thin, volatile, and easily manipulated. The runup in PPC price prior to the Nubits announcement is solid evidence for how unsophisticated and speculation-driven these markets are.

With this perspective, I donā€™t think itā€™s correct to assume Peercoin is in a crisis because it currently trades for around $0.50. What eventually happens to Peercoin is inexorably linked to the fate of Bitcoin. Can the efforts of a full-time Peercoin marketing director do much to change that?

I think the community is not only ready, but crying out for a marketing director and has been ever since JBT took off. Iā€™m not sure whatever happened to that guy but a few months after he left i read there was some controversy with him and nxtā€¦ canā€™t quite remember.

Anyways, yeah i donā€™t think itā€™s quite the same as turning down firemen at the door :stuck_out_tongue: and my question was definitely not intended to offend but just to try and see what weā€™re working with here.

Weā€™re definitely not as far along as iā€™d like but i wouldnā€™t call it ā€œdesperate timesā€, relative to the greater crypto community.

You say short of uploading your resumeā€¦ why is that not an option? Not saying that you have too, but a visible / known marketing director is definitely more valuable than someone who isnā€™t.

If you feel your efforts are worth 50k ppc every 6 months, is this a full time job? If no, why so much, if yes, then why so little?

I am personally of the opinion that we do NOT need consensus on every little thing we do, as a matter of fact far from it. I feel that the consensus the peercoin community is constantly trying to reach is not only unrealistic, but one of our greatest hindrances. Earlier this year when the price of peercoin was very high, i tried to get involved and throw some money in to help the cause and advertise one of my businesses. Basically i ended up getting exhausted with the too many chefs approach and things fizzled, peercoins value along with it. Based on the conversations had in the group i donā€™t think i am the only one. I think we have seen this play out time after time, project after project, thread after thread.

A really big part of the problem is, like myself, we are all busy, we donā€™t work for Peercoin full time. I donā€™t have the spare brain capacity most days, just exhausted from all my daily commitments and technical challenges, management challenges etc. A person, or a few people, full time on Peercoin would make a huge difference. Even if JBT was just a pumper, he was a damn good at getting the word out, and he concentrated at the task at hand. We need this.

ā€œMore is lost to indecision than a bad decision.ā€ Is a statement that i wholeheartedly agree with and should probably be Peercoinā€™s new motto for anything that isnā€™t related to core protocol changes. I can be bad for being indecisive myself, but i recognize it and have been making an effort to change that. Peercoin should too.

You donā€™t need permission from anyone. IF you are looking for funding though, you need to convince whoever is signing over their coins to you. I like the Nu strategy of the more transparent marketing plan that TomJoad references and i think at least an outline needs to be created by yourself since you are the one proposing. Not in the ā€œhey guys what does everybody thinkā€ kind of way, but ā€œhey guys, here is what we are going to doā€, you want to be a director, donā€™t ask us. Tell us.

ppcman, if you think you are the guy to do it, and you want the job. All you need to do is flesh out the plan a little bit more. I am sure you will find the support you need both financially and with the community behind youā€¦ with a little decisive action on your part. Iā€™m going to read a few more of your posts in the mean time. Looking forward to your next one. If youā€™re ready to go, letā€™s just get this moving.

teek

Whether who is the best or not or marketing director is nejden or not, I think we need a Face om Peercoin. At least att voice. Proof of stake will be the big next thing everyone will talk about and right now peercoiners are doing none of the talking: https://m.soundcloud.com/epicenterbitcoin/eb-058?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EpicenterBitcoin+(Epicenter+Bitcoin)&utm_content=FeedBurner We need people that are willing to be a Face and not be anonymous (afterall that is not the torget clientel). Chronos?!

Edit: sorry for geting slightly offtopic

Iā€™ve been keeping up on this thread, but I donā€™t have any marketing experience, so I donā€™t think Iā€™d be a good fit for this role.

As a point of reference, Chronos Crypto on Youtube now has just over 100 subscribers. Views are rolling in at a rate of about 50 per day, primarily on Peercoin videos.

Honestly, I think a marketing campaign that has nothing really to offer than to explain what Peercoin is about will be dull.

Why not increase the PoW reward in the same move to match a Bitcoin-like schedule, thereby switching to another Algorithm that can only be CPU-mined?
Here is my proposal in greater detail:

Properly marketed, this will set us apart from ALL other Alts in terms of fairness, make Bitcoin-enthusiasts around the world mine Peercoins with their home computers and many of them will buy additional Peercoins. This will make Peercoin the number 2 coin behind Bitcoin.

It seems very few people know about Peercoin.

Iā€™ve been keeping up on this thread, but I donā€™t have any marketing experience, so I donā€™t think Iā€™d be a good fit for this role.

As a point of reference, Chronos Crypto on Youtube now has just over 100 subscribers. Views are rolling in at a rate of about 50 per day, primarily on Peercoin videos.[/quote]

I was thinking of you more of as a talking hade than marketing director. In the interview I linked to above Vitalik talked att least 30min. About PoS not mentioning Peercoin even once . We need someone who is willing to speak with people about the basics - Chronos has proven himself time and time again in the videos :slight_smile:

As a point of reference, Chronos Crypto on Youtube now has just over 100 subscribers. Views are rolling in at a rate of about 50 per day, primarily on Peercoin videos.[/quote]

I was thinking of you more of as a talking hade than marketing director. In the interview I linked to above Vitalik talked att least 30min. About PoS not mentioning Peercoin even once . We need someone who is willing to speak with people about the basics - Chronos has proven himself time and time again in the videos :)[/quote]

Yes ppcman talks about being marketing director, but specifically about not being the ā€œpublic faceā€, maybe there is some potential for cooperation here ?

I was thinking of you more of as a talking hade than marketing director. In the interview I linked to above Vitalik talked att least 30min. About PoS not mentioning Peercoin even once . We need someone who is willing to speak with people about the basics - Chronos has proven himself time and time again in the videos :)[/quote]

Iā€™d agree with this as long as Chronos was up to the challenge of being a public face. He already is sort of due to all his Peercoin videos. He also has the knowledge about how Peercoin and PoS works. ppcman could take the marketing director job and remain anonymous while Chronos is a public face that discusses Peercoin with people on web shows to help get Peercoinā€™s name out there. Doing this could also help bring more subscribers to the Chronos Crypto channel. It could work I think as long as they were up to it.

Chronos is pretty much the only public face Peercoin has, so if he refused Iā€™m not sure who we could find. Somebody that is knowledgable about Peercoin and PoS would need to shed their anonymity and step up. Iā€™m not sure if anyone would be willing to do that though.

It is good to see this thread and PPCman stepping up to fulfill the role.

However, Iā€™m not keen on having the role as marketing director for the peercoin community, at least not as loosely defined as in this thread. I think we donā€™t need that much direction in marketing, but more someone to execute marketing proposals. There are enough ideas floating around but apparently almost no-one to execute them, not even when paid. With Chronos (videos) and Glock (translations) being the positive exceptions. See the Marketing Fund tread here: http://peer4commit.com/projects/96

Also I donā€™t think that doing some marketing will help Peercoin out of the woodwork. Marketing is only useful when you have something new or attractive to sell. You can argue about Peercoinā€™s attractiveness, but except the peerunity wallet we had nothing new for a long time. I count the Peerunity wallet as good maintenance and keep up with the other altcoins and not something we would attract new people with. Basically trying to say that a large marketing campaign would need to go with something new like the sidechain introduction, Open Transactions or the Counterparty on Peercoin to be effective. And I agree with some of the previous posters, if anything, we need a talking head prepared to do interviews, show his/her face on exhibitions and join discussions etc.

Besides 50k PPC is still a lot of money which I wonder whether it is not spend wiser to hire a developer to develop one or more of the above. Spend say 30k PPC on the dev and 20k PPC to market the development alongside with Peercoin and built some momentum. Just throwing up something as an alternative.

Thanx cybnate, I wouldnā€™t have said it better.

Just thinking: would it be possible to organize a chat with sunny and sigmike at the beginning of the new year? We could talk to them about all this and get their point of view.

I have been planning to do an interview with Sunny and Sigmike for the past couple of months where I want to ask them about a lot of different topics like this. Iā€™ve had several issues which have delayed the interview, but Iā€™d like to actually start it some time over my Christmas vacation, which starts tonight and lasts until Monday afternoon. During the interview I will also be asking him about ways the community can more easily communicate with him about important topics.

Yes, this is a prime example that fits into this sentence I had posted.

Example: ā€œHey (Chronos), Iā€™m the marketing director for Peercoin. I read in your previous post that you have access to (a youtube channel that does Peercoin videos). Iā€™m interested in that for Peercoin. Would you be willing to help me accomplish (a few more specific videos), with (your youtube channel)?ā€

Then in exchange Iā€™d offer (either some PPC), and more specifically (tips, hints, and ways to get him a greater subscriber base (which I actually have experiencing doing). On a very lax channel, Iā€™ve managed 300+ subscribers and almost a million youtube views, which is just talking about ho-hum stuff. So I know how to do thisā€¦

Thatā€™s how a marketing director gets a video goal accomplished, gets someone who might be interested in helping Peercoin in general, and also giving something back extra for their efforts. A win-win-win situation.

Itā€™s actually 35,000 PPC for a 6 month term, with an expense spending budget of 15,000 PPC.

If we were to do it on a monthly basis, it would be 5,833 PPC for the month, with a 2,500 PPC expense budget.

While funding portions of development from the expense account might be helpful to kickstart some interest on a particular dev project, it couldnā€™t be the focus of how the expense funds are used.

I would say that Marketing is especially useful when you have something new or attractive to sell.

Branding and education is an ongoing effort. This is more than just having a neat logo or website, or forum. How many Geico insurance commercials or Doritos commericals do we see on a regular basis? To be cool and popular, you have to be out in the public eye on a regular basis. You have to show up in places where people least expect it. Dogecoin did a good job of branding. What they did may not fit our purpose, but the concept was definitely there.

In addition there may be counter productive things that weā€™re accidentally doing right now that are not contributing to Peercoin adoption and/or hampering it. As an official marketing director you have the ability to point these out and to also forge ahead and try something even if someone says:

There is no way that this will make a difference.

I have been following this thread closely, and after few days of debate Iā€™m still not sure what to say about this proposal.
It is obvious that we need change, some call on centralization but Iā€™m sure that centralization of power is not what we need.

Where I see the need of Marketing director is organising Peercoin themed blog, running twitter account, and promoting PPC on social networks. Have you seen web portal of Nxt community? I think that is way to go, on one website person can get to know entire ecosystem, from community forum to many of their asset exchange companies.

Also, I would like to add that I think it is too late to affect price of the PPC with adding kitchen sink and boiler to coin. Peercoin should only offer infrastructure need to found an economy. It does that well so far, still a lot of work to do but it is fine.
One of Peercoinā€™s main selling points is Peershares and ability to start DACā€™s quite easily, okay that might not be so easy right now but with time platform will mature. This with DAC and decentralized economy should also be presented as Peercoins greatest strength if marketing campaign is ever assembled.
What is also a great strength of PPC is amount of people who mint, have you ever seen PoS difficulty of other PoS coins? Then cant even pass 1. Seeing this, it is hard to believe how cheap PPC is.

One more thing, in last few posts of this topic someone mentioned that Chronos should be the face and voice of Peercoin. Iā€™m sorry to be so direct but I must say it, this is not job for Chronos.
Chronos approach to presentation sounds and feels like typical American TV sales program, which is repealing to me and I do not think Iā€™m the only one. Not that Chronos videos are bad, they just donā€™t have that serious feel and sound I expect. IMO, it is not appropriate to present a community in this way.

Branding and education is an ongoing effort. This is more than just having a neat logo or website, or forum. How many Geico insurance commercials or Doritos commericals do we see on a regular basis? To be cool and popular, you have to be out in the public eye on a regular basis. You have to show up in places where people least expect it. Dogecoin did a good job of branding. What they did may not fit our purpose, but the concept was definitely there.

+1

We have something to present, long-term marketing strategy is needed.

My recommendation is to stop strategizing about the ā€œhowā€ and ā€œwhatā€ and just start to do it. If you really feel itā€™s something you can do, prove it by doing it. The money to pay for the next steps will come in once this moves from the realm of hypothetical into the practical.

If it doesnā€™t, youā€™ve proved a second point ā€“ that those that hold the most coins, and therefore the most influence, really could care less. If thatā€™s the case, it certainly will make my own decisions about the type of support that I can provide in the future far easier.

I canā€™t ā€œjust do itā€ without a better holding in Peercoin. If I was a whale, Iā€™d already be doing it.

I canā€™t afford a better holding right now, so I figured by community donation this could be a paid position to ā€œstart doing itā€. Since the larger holders benefit the most, it would be expected theyā€™d contribute the most.

It would have to be a significant amount of time that passed (several months) before we could determine thatā€¦ For instance, right now itā€™s the holidays. Most people arenā€™t here on a forum like I am on Christmas Eve (shame on you ppcman).

Since our marketing arm has been very limited, I donā€™t think weā€™ve been doing a good job of encouraging those that hold the most coins to get more actively involved. Itā€™s easy to get and hold coins, and then sit back and check what they are worth periodically.

Hereā€™s an example of who might get involved. Lots of exchanges have FAT, and I mean really FAT wallets that are held in escrow for their customers. The benefit is they are minting these coins and making FAT and I mean FAT proof-of-stake earnings.

These exchanges with this ā€œfree revenueā€ of free PPC, could be contributing to this as well. Because we could effectively double and triple the USD dollar worth their free ppc earned by minting.

(I know someone is going to suggest that theyā€™re not minting because of no cold wallet features. I donā€™t agree. If they are secure enough to run a functional exchange, Iā€™m sure they have ways of connecting their peercoin wallet to the network through different vpns and proxy hops so their walletā€™s operating system isnā€™t accessible via the internet directly)

Are the exchanges here in the traditional style, following up on our every move? Not likely. Are they contributing to peer4commits? Not likely.

Would they support a few hundred dollar donation worth of PPC towards a marketing director? Perhaps. If the benefits were clear.

I doubt weā€™ll ever prove that those that hold the most coins, and therefore the most influence, really could care less.

I think they do care, otherwise they wouldnā€™t be ā€œholding coinsā€. But we need to reach out to them, and a few peercointalk forum posts simply isnā€™t enough.

:)) Thanks for being honest. I hope Chronos doesnā€™t mind. Maybe Chronos can use those voice-changing software to give options to his video:
female voice,
serious over-50 male voice,
original chronos[tm] voice (10 PPC required)

I disagree. Iā€™ve watched for 18 months now. If the major holders cared, they would have mobilized by now.

They seem to be waiting for those of us with less than ~10k to carry it for them.