"ELI5" explanation

I think it’d be great for ppCoin if someone provided an “Explain Like I’m Five” (ELI5) therefore, very simple explanation of what is Proof-of-Stake and why Proof-of-Work can lead to potential problems for bitcoin.

Arcurus or Fuzzybear or someone who understands this better than me. And then make it a sticky! Just an idea. :slight_smile:

Nice suggestion :slight_smile: i’ll get on it when its not 1am and i have work tomorrow!! but holiday coming up so i’ll prob get time to play with this forum more then :smiley:

I might be able to help with that part of your question: Energy use will become a scaling issue.
see Energy consumption will become an issue if bitcoin really breaks through

I’m still very much waiting for the Explain Like I’m 5 thing. Anyone? (Although I’d actually prefer it to be an Explain Like I’m 75.)

100 PPC to anyone who best satisfies the man’s curiosity.

[quote=“Excelsior”]Proof of Work means a person must run a machine (computer) to make new coins. The only thing is that all the machines will have to work harder and harder over time to make new coins. Many people will give up. This means eventually only a few people will make the coins. This gives them huge power. They can do evil things with this power and if they want, actually use the few machines left to destroy the worth of all the coins.

Proof of Stake means a person must simply hold onto coins to make new coins. No machines working harder over time. No worry about a few people having huge power. This means all the coins won’t be destroyed by a few evil people. A much better thing.

Or something like that.[/quote]
Thanks now I understand it better! Except Proof of Stake isn’t in effect yet if I’m not mistaken. When does this happen? Can coins still be mined after this?

[quote=“Excelsior”]Proof of Work means a person must run a machine (computer) to make new coins. The only thing is that all the machines will have to work harder and harder over time to make new coins. Many people will give up. This means eventually only a few people will make the coins. This gives them huge power. They can do evil things with this power and if they want, actually use the few machines left to destroy the worth of all the coins.

Proof of Stake means a person must simply hold onto coins to make new coins. No machines working harder over time. No worry about a few people having huge power. This means all the coins won’t be destroyed by a few evil people. A much better thing.

Or something like that.[/quote]

So how do coins come into existence at all then? I have none at the moment, so I can’t show prove of stake…

I’m not an expert yet but I have my stash of PPC held and expecting that Excelsior’s description might be correct; that inabubble1 might have to wait a month; and that Alpaca John has no coins and therefore no joy - quite right too :wink:

As soon as I starts to turn a profit through PoS, which I’m expecting will be a few weeks and then at a random rate relative to the numbers of coins I hold, I’ll try to report back.

Thats why there is PoW in PPCoin, but the amount of PoW-Blocks will drop by the time. You can also buy some coins.