CoinDesk Interview With Sunny King & Peercoin Team - July 14, 2016

This interview by CoinDesk took place on July 14th, 2016 in preparation for an article. We’ve also included a pre-meeting we had in order to prepare before the actual interview started.

[size=5]Pre-Meeting Before CoinDesk Interview[/size]

Sunny King: hi guys :slight_smile:

hrobeers: Nice to be with you in a chat room :wink:

Saeveritt: Hey Sunny

hrobeers: So how is this meeting organised?

Sunny King: Sentinelrv thanks for organizing

Sunny King: Sentinelrv what’s agenda today?

saeveritt: So do we know if Jacob has a specific set of questions or will it be a more of an open interview?

Sentinelrv: Before we start…

Sentinelrv: I was talking over with everybody here and we believe that it might be best to hold regular chats with you like this from now on. Would you be open to that?

Sentinelrv: Eveyone here consists of the most knowledgeable and active members of Peercointalk, so it would be great to regularly discuss the future of the network.

Sunny King: sure absolutely

peerchemist: I will take over for a minute

peerchemist: so agenda here is to prepare Sunny for the new “official story” about Peercoin, so he could relay it to the interviewer

Sunny King: okay :slight_smile:

Sunny King: I am all ears now

peerchemist: so Sunny it is imperative that you now take the chance to mention why has PPC kept PoW - and what PoW means for us

peerchemist: PoW is our market maker, just like it is for Litecoin and others

peerchemist: it is VERY important to us

peerchemist: and now changes in Btc are reflecting on our supply, so it is important to explain why and how

saeveritt: It seems that Jacob, the interviewer, approached the community looking to write a story focuing on the after affects of the BTC halving. Since it was mainly a non-event for most crypto Peercoin has the opportunity to show its market adaptability in comparison to others.

peerchemist: saveritt, please link that graph to sunny

saeveritt: Emphasizing the importance of letting the market decide when to reduce supply rather than waiting an arbitrary X amount of blocks for reward reduction is something we should highlight.

peerchemist: https://plot.ly/~embeddedthought/49.embed

peerchemist: here it is

saeveritt: Ok you got it already, thanks.

peerchemist: Sunny, do you see it?

Sunny King: yes

peerchemist: do you see how “leftovers” from Btc mining will reduce our supply

peerchemist: and bring us closer to true PoS

peerchemist: PPC PoW is “pegged” to Bitcoin mining industry, as that industry bring more and more potent miner gear - stronger will Peercoin be

saeveritt: Yes. As long as BTC building the sha-256 mining infrastructure, PPC will continue to climb in difficulty and reduce supply. Since the BTC halving we’ve seen a coinbase reward drop of ~18%

Sunny King: who made the graph?

hrobeers: Important to note is that it lowers the maintenance cost of the network.

saeveritt: I made the graph. It uses simple curve fittting projections and I

peerchemist: this could theoretically make Peercoin take over the mining industry from Bitcoin sometime in the future. One could also say that Peercoin “leaches of” a part of Bitcoin wealth each Bitcoin halving

Sunny King: nice

Sunny King: peerchemist, this you got it

Sunny King: but only if peercoin becomes competitive vs bitcoin

peerchemist: and thanks to PoS, we dont depend on miners for anything but distribution. We have “outsourced” distribution - but not the security

Sentinelrv: Sunny, was it your intention for it to happen this way ever since you created Peercoin?

Sunny King: it’s also one of the reasons merge mining is not considered

hrobeers: correct

Sunny King: I dont say this much but be a small chance that ppc may pass btc in mining power

Sunny King: merge mining would not allow this to happen

peerchemist: yup

peerchemist: merge mining would be an “exit pump” for big holders

peerchemist: coin would die shortly after

saeveritt: True and it would only have temporary benefit of increased difficulty and decreased new supply to market. Would not be optimal in the longterm as new supply to market helps harden rising price floor

hrobeers: A nice extra of PoS is that it simplifies blockchain innovations. As everyone (holding ppc) has power to mint blocks, experimentation with non-standard transactions is easier.

saeveritt: Has anyone noticed that when there is a local peak in PPC PoW minted per day that the subsequent following days result in a price increase?

peerchemist: I dont follow PPC market that closely, you are probably only trader who is deep into PPC I know

peerchemist: so do we make fun of Etherum now?

Sunny King: whats wrong with ethereum?

peerchemist: just this clusterfuck with hard fork

saeveritt: Have you seen Ethereum Classic is trading now?

peerchemist: a part of community decided to keep the old chain

peerchemist: now they are 51% PoW attacking each other, that is trying

peerchemist: it is really really messy

hrobeers: hahaa

peerchemist: greed really deforms people, makes them monsters

hrobeers: that’s what I see popping around on twitter :slight_smile:

peerchemist: manipulators on Poloniex are having one big party

Sunny King: I thought vitalik is in full control?

hrobeers: where is vitalik? classic or hardfork?

peerchemist: hardfork naturally

peerchemist: with the greedy ones, the “investors”

hrobeers: :slight_smile:

peerchemist: Sunny I told you Ethereum is going the wrong way last time we spoke, and there it is now

Sunny King: remind me why you think it’s on the wrong way?

peerchemist: private interest over the what is right and what is wrong

Sunny King: isn’t this occurrence due to complexity alone?

Sunny King: oh

peerchemist: immutability of the blockchain is what makes it so special

peerchemist: they have disregarded that

peerchemist: so why do they have blockchain? to sell tokens it seems

peerchemist: it will resolve itself eventually, those with principles will lose as they have less money

saeveritt: I agree that the hardfork shouldn’t have been forced the way it was. They had a deadline to do it by in order to prevent the DAO hacker from being able to withdrawl ETH from the contract. It was rushed and not everyone supported bailing out the DAO in this way

Sunny King: so why are ppl stay with classic?

hrobeers: yep, history is controlled by a select group. Exactly why some people don’t like the checkpoints, however it seems like checkpoints are irrelevant, people didn’t expect that.

peerchemist: because classic is saying “we will not alter history - ever”

peerchemist: this is what I was warning a few times, that time will come when people will seek public and free blockchain - free from minority influence by big money

peerchemist: Peercoin is damn good position to be exactly that chain

Sunny King: probably tougher than that

Sunny King: PoS can be bought as well

peerchemist: that is why we have continual PoW :slight_smile:

hrobeers: good point

hrobeers: but in the end, everything can be bought

Sunny King: i see your points though, it would be ideal to not allow capital to gain too much control over protocol

hrobeers: That’s indeed a good position to take these days.

Sentinelrv: We’ve got almost 20 minutes left before it’s supposed to start. Was there anymore interview preparation that we needed to go through? Or would you like to continue on the current path of discussion?

hrobeers: Let’s try to sum up some of the conclusions already

saeveritt: Yeah, I see most 100% PoS coins with IPO’s as something currently hyped. In the long-term continual distribution through PoW will show to harden the network in terms of decentralization and network security

saeveritt: I wish we knew if Jacob has a specific agenda for the interview or if it’s more of an open discussion

hrobeers: 1) Peercoin benefits from bitcoin’s halving by the increased PoW hashrate, reducing ppc’s operational cost by having a dynamic coinbase reward.

hrobeers: 2) PoW/PoS hybrid decentralizes the network as much as possible. Buying the network (ref. Ethereum) becomes extremely expensive and complicated.

Sentinelrv: hrobeers, what is your definition of operational cost in #1?

hrobeers: network cost

hrobeers: ~= PoW/PoS coinbase reward

hrobeers: outflux of value

Sunny King: it’s not really cost, but a way to distribute the coins

hrobeers: it is a cost

hrobeers: when used to pay for mining equipment

hrobeers: that cost is covered by the entire network

Sunny King: ok i guess you can say that, what i mean is it is not used for security of network

hrobeers: oh but that doesn’t matter

Sunny King: right

hrobeers: it’s a cost covered by the network, someone pays that

hrobeers: our inflation decreases when hashing power rises, which means that our operational cost is going down.

hrobeers: this way we can maintain a healthy network without a huge influx of money

hrobeers: like is needed for bitcoin, ethereum and alike

hrobeers: it is not equal to the coinbase rewards but it scales with them

saeveritt: in terms of operational costs shouldn’t only pos be considered since pow isn’t vital to operational security. If we were to compare with bitcoin and ethereum it would be the physical PoW infrastructure vs. virtual mining in PoS

hrobeers: 3) The decentralization makes it possible for everyone to mint a block from time to time. This simplifies experimentation with non-standard txns on the network. This helps innovation.

hrobeers: no PoW is also part of operational cost, as it forces miners to sell ppc to buy mining resources. This is a cost by pushing the coins value down.

Sentinelrv: Jacob said he’s currently talking to his editor and then he’ll be on.

saeveritt: Also there is consistent incentive to secure the network in terms of the ~1% minting reward. There are other PoS networks that rely on fee structure as incentive. With NXT, almost all transaction are done off chain and on exchanges so incentive to secure the network is dependent on fee volume. It’s not reliable and that’s why they need Ardor.

hrobeers: good point

hrobeers: I make it conclusion 4

saeveritt: increase on chain transactions to provide incentive to secure network other than protecting investment. Seems like supply stagnation sets when coins are being recylced between the major holders

hrobeers: these are the conclusions so far, you guys agree? Anything missing?

hrobeers: 1) Peercoin benefits from bitcoin’s halving by the increased PoW hashrate, reducing ppc’s operational cost by having a dynamic coinbase reward.

hrobeers: 2) PoW/PoS hybrid decentralizes the network as much as possible. Buying the network (ref. Ethereum) becomes extremely expensive and complicated.

hrobeers: 3) The decentralization makes it possible for everyone to mint a block from time to time. This simplifies experimentation with non-standard t

hrobeers: 4) There is consistent incentive to secure the network in terms of the ~1% minting reward. There are other PoS networks that rely on fee structure as incentive. With NXT, almost all transaction are done off chain and on exchanges so incentive to secure the network is dependent on fee volume. It’s not reliable and that’s why they need Ardor.

saeveritt: Just to be specific, make sure to make point "1)’ say difficulty rather than hashrate

hrobeers: ok

saeveritt: Perhaps let him view this too ? https://plot.ly/~embeddedthought/49.embed

peerchemist: he should see that yes

hrobeers: I’ll add it to my list :slight_smile:

saeveritt: :slight_smile:

Sunny King: maybe one of you guys should present the mining aspect

hrobeers: I’ll make a gist of it

Sunny King: the mining rate curve was designed with moore’s law in mind

peerchemist: now mention that if asked

Sunny King: but if price rises, the effect is similar

[size=5]CoinDesk Interview[/size]

JayCoDon: Hey everyone - Jacob from CoinDesk here.

Sunny King: Hi Jacob

Sunny King: Welcome

saeveritt: Hey Jacob

JayCoDon: How are things?

Sentinelrv: Hey

Sunny King: Good we were just having fun here

JayCoDon: You guys meet in here often?

Sunny King: it’s our meeting channel

Sunny King: yeah sometimes

Sentinelrv: Jacob, I know the meeting is with Sunny, but do you mind if others respond to questions as well. Everyone has a lot of knowledge about Peercoin here.

JayCoDon: That’s fine. I’ll just need to know who they are and what their role with Peercoin is.

hrobeers: Ok, we’ll introduce ourselves first?

Sentinelrv: Go ahead.

JayCoDon: Sure.

Sentinelrv: I’m pretty much the community manager and operate our social media channels. Others here have a lot more knowledge on the mining aspects than I do, which is why I brought them into this.

hrobeers: I’m hrobeers a developer that recently discovered peercoin. I’ve been helping peerchemist with his PeerAsset project and am developing a modular thin client wallet called PeerKeeper for an integrated experience: https://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=4583.0

hrobeers: I made some small contributions to the official ppcoin client developed by Sunny

hrobeers: https://github.com/hrobeers/ & https://twitter.com/hrobeers

peerchemist: I am Peerchemist, a developer of Peerbox. Inventor of PeerAssets and pretty much an all rounder when it comes internal stuff like help with marketing, educating newbies (like hrobeers) and theoretizing about blockchain and crypto in general

Sunny King: hrobeers being modest, the peerkeeper is like a new generation wallet for peercoin

JayCoDon: Likely very necessary for user adoption

peerchemist: yep, PeerKeeper is the fanciest take on wallet tech since Electrum

hrobeers: :slight_smile: thanks guys

hrobeers: Important to mention is that peerchemists Peerbox, is a full node meant for Raspberry Pi’s, is crucial for the unmatched decentralization that ppc has.

hrobeers: Running a full node that mints (PoS mining) is a very simple process for any peercoin supporter thanks to Peerbox.

JayCoDon: Alright, so to confirm: Sentinelrv is community manager, hrobeers is a developer that has made a next gen wallet for peercoin; peerchemist is a dev that created Peerbox, PeerAssets, and does some community and marketing. And sunnyking is the creator of peercoin. That sound about right?

saeveritt: JayConDon, I’ve been in contact with you before using the name embeddedthought. My role has been focused towards conducting analysis of Peercoin’s underlying economic model and providing insight for long-term projections.

Sentinelrv: I like to pass this meme around in regards to Peerbox.

Sentinelrv: http://i.imgur.com/LSeqOaX.png

peerchemist: oh and I also package binaries for Ubuntu/ArchLinux and other Linux distros. I could use some interest in that filed (users)

hrobeers: @JayCoDon, I guess it’s close enough :wink:

JayCoDon: @saeveritt Ahh, you’re the guy who kept reminding me that there were posts on my thread. Thanks, mate!

saeveritt: JayCoDon, Anytime :wink:

Sentinelrv: Saeveritt is also creating Peercoin Wisdom here: https://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=4471.0

JayCoDon: Very cool.

saeveritt: Thanks Sentinelrv for grabbing the link.

Sentinelrv: PeerAssets link is here: https://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=4566.0

Sentinelrv: And Peerbox: https://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2932.0

JayCoDon: Alright, so let’s start from the top. From a mining perspective, after Bitcoin’s halving, the hashrate spiked quite significantly, from ~500TH to over 3.5PH. That has since dropped back down. My understanding on the distribution of new peercoin is that it is based entirely on difficulty. 1. Am I right about that? 2. Can you (anyone) talk to how the hashrate fluctuates in comparison to what the difficulty is? Do you see big ri

Sunny King: yes it’s based on proof-of-work difficulty

saeveritt: To give you a visual representation of how BTC’s halving affected PPC’s coinbase reward I’ve prepared this graph. https://plot.ly/~embeddedthought/49.embed

JayCoDon: But with bitcoin, the reward is constant. Is peercoin’s dynamic?

Sunny King: we talk about proof-of-work difficulty here as there is another proof-of-stake difficulty in peercoin

Sunny King: the difficulty adjusts gradually every block, to make the average 10-minute block interval

JayCoDon: The PoW doesn’t actually do anything to secure the network, right? That’s the PoS aspect?

peerchemist: PoW is distributing coins

peerchemist: proof of fiat burn

peerchemist: PoS is for security

Sunny King: in the case of the havling event of bitcoin, our difficulty adjusted upward, but slower than the spike of mining power of course

JayCoDon: I have heard complaints about PoS not being as secure of PoW. You’ve staked your currency’s security on that. Why are the concerns about PoS being not secure unfounded?

peerchemist: Peercoin has proven that PoS can secure the network, it is around for almost 4 years

Sunny King: I think both systems have uncertainties, proof-of-stake is a more complex technology, we think it’s competitive to PoW security wise

hrobeers: If a fair distribution mechanism is used (PoW) the network is more decentralized. We don’t have all our chain securing power localized in some regions with cheap electricity.

JayCoDon: So by using a PoS mechanism, electricity isn’t an issue, thus allowing for more decentralization?

peerchemist: exactly

saeveritt: To answer your question on the dynamic reward: Rather than waiting an arbitrary X amount of blocks for reward reduction, peercoin’s coinbase reward is inversely related to difficulty. This lets the market decide when to reduce supply and it will naturally decouple Peercoin from other competition that is not as adaptable.

JayCoDon: To follow up on that saeveritt, there can be different amounts of coin created each day, but on the average spread out across days/weeks/months, it’s about the same?

hrobeers: Don’t forget that it is key to distribute the coins fairly, a large IPO where the developers hold a large portion of the Stake is a security risk.

JayCoDon: Oh, I completely agree with that @hrobeers

hrobeers: That’s where we use PoW for, just like bitcoin.

hrobeers: The amount of coins created is largely dependant on the PoW difficulty

JayCoDon: As difficulty goes up, reward goes down; vice versa?

JayCoDon: So pre-bitcoin halving, miners were earning more coins than post-halving?

Sunny King: that’s right

saeveritt: JayCoDon, Yes there can be different amounts created each day. The spread out is about the same in terms of weeks but the average for a given period continually declines as time progresses due to increasing difficulty.

JayCoDon: So is there a pre-determined maximum?

hrobeers: I’ll give sunny more chance to answer here, as it is his interview.

JayCoDon: You’re all welcome to participate. I’ve got some good questions for Sunny later on. :wink:

Sunny King: yeah don’t worry it’s our interview :slight_smile:

Sunny King: there is a preset maximum for the minimum difficulty of 1

JayCoDon: And final question about mining before we move on: Is there a maximum number of Peercoin that will ever be released or, if mining gets to difficulty of 1, will it just be the 1% PoS reward?

JayCoDon: So no true maximum, but a tightly controlled inflation rate that people can verify

hrobeers: the transaction fees are burned

hrobeers: so we can even get deflation

JayCoDon: So 1% growth, but all fees are burned, which should counteract that 1% growth.

JayCoDon: That’s interesting.

saeveritt: Eventually the rewards from PoW mining will converge towards 0. After this all that will be left is the ~1% annual inflation. There is a 0.01 ppc/kb fee for every transaction that is destroyed that helps counter the inflation

JayCoDon: Very cool. Alright, I understand those mechanics now.

JayCoDon: Next question: Why peercoin over another cryptocurrency, primarily bitcoin?

peerchemist: but lets be fair and say that mining will probably never stop, diff will always be above 0

hrobeers: so you pay per use of the network, but you don’t pay the miner, you pay the network.

hrobeers: (0.01ppc/kb)

hrobeers: mining will never stop indeed

peerchemist: Peercoin was my first crypto, as it seemed fair (unline Bitcoin). Simple answer here.

peerchemist: *unlike Bitcoin

JayCoDon: What makes bitcoin unfair?

Sentinelrv: NXT for example uses PoS, but their security model is determined by gaining fees. That becomes a problem when the majority of transactions are on exchanges where no transaction fees are paid. Peercoin has a more consistent security model in that it does not rely of fees. They are instead destroyed.

peerchemist: that is how it seemed to me back then in early 2014. It was just felt too centralized, as in big miners rule everything

peerchemist: now I know far more, but that was my inspiration on why to enter PPC instead of any other crypto

JayCoDon: What problem does peercoin solve that a different cryptocurrency couldn’t?

peerchemist: decentralization of the control over the network

saeveritt: JayCoDon, To add to Sentinelrv’s comparison to the other widely known PoS, NXT. For PPC there remains consistent incentive to secure the network in terms of the ~1% minting reward. The NXT networks relies on its fee structure as incentive. With NXT, almost all transaction are done off chain and on exchanges so incentive to secure the network is dependent on fee volume. It’s not reliable and that’s why they need Ardor.

Sunny King: Actually peercoin solves several big problems

peerchemist: please continue Sunny

hrobeers: My reason for peercoin is that there isn’t a large outflux of money due to mining. The mining cost is covered by the entire network after all.

hrobeers: yeah continue

Sunny King: One is that energy is not required to achieve decentralization

Sunny King: Other is that it opens up the whole blockchain ecosystem, in that now ppl don’t need mining power to jump start new blockchains

Sunny King: so in my opinion PoS is a huge step forward for blockchain tech

JayCoDon: From a participation perspective, what does the average person who may not even care about mining gain? What problems are solved from that perspective?

hrobeers: Let’s say we want to use the network to distribute computing power. PoW would compete with the usefull work for resources, which pumps up the price of the usefull work.

hrobeers: a bit like how biofuel competes with food production.

Sunny King: It enables new applications to use its own blockchain much more cost effectively. For example, there is a peershare project in our community that enables any DAO to run it’s own blockchain

Sentinelrv: Yes Sunny, energy is used to distribute new currency fairly, however it is not required in order to secure the network, since PoS takes care of that by itself.

JayCoDon: Is peercoin’s single most important feature its PoS mechanism?

hrobeers: it’s economics are as important

JayCoDon: Please elaborate.

peerchemist: more important than PoS

peerchemist: Peercoin inovated far more about “mining” actually

peerchemist: Sunny please elaborate on how was mining reward algo chosen

peerchemist: moore law and all

Sunny King: Yeah the mining rate and curve is designed more natually than bitcoin’s, but I would agree that proof-of-stake is the single most important contribution to blockchain tech in general

hrobeers: can you explain the parallel with moore’s law?

Sunny King: basically like saveritt said earlier,

Sunny King: mining rate is inversely realted to difficulty

Sunny King: so if assuming Moore’s law, then the mining rate would continue to drop geometrically

Sunny King: In short, Moore’s Law would ensure the PoW inflation to be similar to bitcoin’s

JayCoDon: As reward drops, PoW drops as well?

Sunny King: No it’s inversely related, difficulty goes up, reward drops

hrobeers: but the same hashrate get’s cheaper over time

JayCoDon: I meant for bitcoin’s

peerchemist: what hrobeers said + due to moore’s law

JayCoDon: Ahh, okay.

saeveritt: If we focus on what a store of value represents we must think long term about how different economic models will compete with one another. When a cryptocurrency that has a responsive economic model is in direct competition with one that is more rigid and pre-defined, the market will discover use case. We are just now seeing that PPC’s current inflation rate is already lower than btc’s, ltc’s, and nmc’s will be by 2020. Dyna

Sunny King: for bitcoin it’s a different matter though, that’s due to a lot of miners becoming unprofitable

JayCoDon: Hence why they moved over to peercoin to begin with

peerchemist: and PPC will allow them to be profitable for some more time, unlike BTC which sharpely discards them

hrobeers: so coinbase reward drop, will lower the outflux of money for mining, unless if the price goes up accoringly.

JayCoDon: I’ve heard miners talk about the shock of going from 25 to 12.5. Peercoin’s more dynamic drop in reward as difficulty goes up is less shocking. Alright, I understand that.

JayCoDon: Alright, changing topics 180 degrees. What is Peercoin’s approach to hard forks? As we’ve seen with Bitcoin/Ethereum, they have taken two very different approaches with the former being ardently against while the latter has forked because of a hack.

peerchemist: we were just discussing that while waiting for you

peerchemist: due to PoS, our chain goes where ever big holders (big stakers) want it to go

Sunny King: I think we are more flexible than bitcoin in this respect

Sunny King: we typically runs an upgrade window less than 3 months

JayCoDon: Interesting. @peerchemist_ … Isn’t the big holders controlling the destiny a risk of PoS?

Sunny King: so for incompatible upgrade, users have a couple months before they are on a desuppported fork

JayCoDon: @sunnyking Do you not allow for soft forks at all?

hrobeers: big holder have interest in well being off chain, unlike the big miners

peerchemist: it is fundamental tradedoff. With PoW you outsource the security and flexibilty to 3rd parties to prevent big holders from “taking control” and with PoS you keep the security within the system and rely on economic sanity of “big holders”

saeveritt: Much less of a risk than what a conglomeration of centralized miners pose due to the holders having stake in the network.

JayCoDon: But in the instance where a DAO like hack occurred, the big holders could ruin Peercoin’s immutable nature by forking because they were likely impacted the most, no?

peerchemist: in the case of ETH/DAO I guess our stakers would react the same, yes

JayCoDon: I’m asking because we see that with Ethereum. 2/3rd of the Eth in the DAO were early-mined Ether, so they were obviously incentivized to hard fork to get their money back

peerchemist: * same as Eth miners

Sunny King: There might be such possibility, that big holders want to participate in the decision making of upgrades

Sunny King: So far we haven’t encountered such problem

saeveritt: Its a question of whether the majority of stakers share the same incentive to bailout a DAO type organization.

JayCoDon: Wouldn’t they because they likely are in that DAO?

JayCoDon: 2/3rd of ETH in DAO were majority stakers.

peerchemist: interesting JayCoDon, than in that case it could get interesting if so many “old coins” are stolen as then the smaller fish would dominate the staking for a while and could fork the chain. Due to the destruction of so many coin days

JayCoDon: Hmm … Interesting.

JayCoDon: Alright, here’s my “tough” question for Sunny.

peerchemist: omg :open_mouth:

hrobeers: losing your coins, results in losing your power.

saeveritt: and soul

peerchemist: coin days are just as important

saeveritt: most definitely

JayCoDon: Sunny, you’re the Satoshi or Vitalik of Peercoin. You’re the “benevolent” dictator of it. People follow you. I am of the opinion that the reason Bitcoin has been so successful is because Satoshi went away; because that founder went away, so he couldn’t influence decisions. You likely are a big stake holder and undo political pressure could force you to do things that are not in the best interest of Peercoin.

JayCoDon: even though the fork was probably not the right thing to do. Do you believe that makes you a potential security risk?

Sunny King: Satoshi is surprising, I actually don’t mind giving more and more power away to other capable community members, i think that’s also healthy to the development of the project

Sunny King: though I don’t plan to disappear suddenly like Satoshi did

Sunny King: It’s a bit strange that you abandon such brilliant invention so completely?

peerchemist: yeah, you will just slowly fade to 0

Sunny King: at least I have a bit trouble understanding

peerchemist: unlike satoshi, who went from 1 to 0 in single block

hrobeers: The community is also innovating outside the core protocol and Sunny is doing a great job, so there is no reason to overthrow him.

JayCoDon: Are there safeguards in place in the event that sunny does disappear?

JayCoDon: A sort of “passing the torch” akin to Satoshi and Gavin?

hrobeers: Some developers have knowledge of the PoS workings and are able to sustain development

hrobeers: but the code is very close to the bitcoin code.

peerchemist: why did no one understood my joke about sunny not leaving at once but slowly fading to 0? :frowning:

JayCoDon: Peerchemist, I have it noted to try to fit that into my piece. :wink:

Sentinelrv: Like Sigmike, who is also a core developer.

Sunny King: The main issue is competent leaders that can take over in such case

peerchemist: yeah, Peercoin is “cheap” to maintain

hrobeers: :slight_smile: parallel to PoW :stuck_out_tongue:

peerchemist: yep!

hrobeers: we have a handfull devs that contributed to the code and are capable to continue the work.

saeveritt: peerchemist, I did :slight_smile: Thought it was funny because bitcoins reward drops abruptly like Satoshi and peercoins declines slowly over time :wink:

peerchemist: oh sorry I thought you’ve missed it out

peerchemist: but I would like to note that we lack devs

hrobeers: I for example run a modified ppc client on my peerbox.

peerchemist: devs who could handle bigger projects

peerchemist: we have just enough devs to keep the lights on, not to evolve into something bigger

Sentinelrv: This question can also be related to synchronized checkpoints, which critics of proof-of-stake say is used to keep the Peercoin network running correctly.

Sentinelrv: Sunny controls the keys to checkpoints, so the network is dependent on him at the moment I feel.

Sentinelrv: I think we should talk about that, as checkpoints will soon become optional with v0.6.

hrobeers: it isn’t, the community can already ditch checkpoints today at any time.

hrobeers: it will just become more simple

Sentinelrv: Also, one of our Peershares networks Nu has run without checkpoints since September 2014 with no trouble.

JayCoDon: Can you quickly explain what these checkpoints are?

peerchemist: sunny, pls

Sunny King: yeah there isn’t anything that I control that cannot be overriden via an upgrade

hrobeers: it’s a common misconception.

hrobeers: Sunny you explain checkpoints?

Sentinelrv: It is one of the main criticisms of PoS, so I felt it should be addressed.

Sunny King: the checkpoint system is an additional temparary safeguard

saeveritt: As I understand it, checkpoints were only needed for ensuring network security during the first couple months where security was PoW dependent during initial distribution before PoS security took over

Sunny King: it definitely needs it as it’s too easy to attack PoW new blockchain

JayCoDon: And what were the checkpoints specifically?

Sunny King: peercoin’s PoS only turns on after one month

hrobeers: checkpoints are a way for sunny to broadcast attacks on the chain

peerchemist: checkpoints are pointers to “correct” version of the chain and can be used to reconfigure a network in case of major problem

Sunny King: it synchronize the network, basically ‘freeze’ the blockchain so it cannot reorg beyond it

hrobeers: so that clients can follow sunny’s advice not to follow the incorrect chain

Sunny King: just like the hard checkpoint in bitcoin

Sunny King: but it’s not coded into the source but broadcasted from a privileged node

hrobeers: but a client implementation can easily ignore the checkpoints from the point they get abused

JayCoDon: So if sunny abuses those checkpoints, the client implenetation can just ignore

hrobeers: clients should actively choose to ignore them

peerchemist: yes, just then someone who is not the sunny must build the binaries and help to deploy them

peerchemist: for example I could switch over all Peerbox nodes in about 15 min to version who ignores sunny and his checkpoints

JayCoDon: Very interesting.

hrobeers: same would be true for peerkeeper backend

hrobeers: (once in browser minting is implemented)

Sunny King: It was kept for a while as we also want the coins to distribute more evenly , avoid possibility of 51% attack, also other vunerabilities

saeveritt: yes network security has definitely hardened thanks to continual distribution

Sunny King: but in any case it was never an essential part of the design so it can be disabled freely

JayCoDon: Final question. The market cap has stayed relatively constant over the past few months at ~8-10 million marketcap. What does peercoin need for it to start increasing in valuation again?

hrobeers: that’s a common misconception on the internet, that checkpoints centralize the network. But the DAO hardfork has shown that abuse is just as easy without checkpoints.

peerchemist: Peercoin needs fresh blood, more developers, more ideas

Sunny King: I think the community is doing great projects, that’s the most important aspects

Sunny King: we grow the ecosystem, make it more useful for all kinds of purposes

peerchemist: but if we can sustain 10M cap, than let is be. I choose that over bloated 150M cap which just awaits to burst

Sunny King: then the market would reflect

hrobeers: there are huge bubbles going on, we prefer to build a sustainable chain

Sentinelrv: I believe we need more project development around Peercoin like PeerAssets. Peerchemist, if you’d like, could you explain your project and why you believe it will bring more value to Peercoin, including the fact that it will help with deflation of the supply.

hrobeers: the is capable of surviving a second internet bubble

peerchemist: I can explain, but I guess that is best to be left for some other time

saeveritt: I believe all that it needs is time. If you reference the graph I linked to earlier there is a significant drop in block reward from May 2015 to the end of July 2015. If you look at the subsequent price response the cycle becomes apparent. During this time Peercoin went from $0.21 to a high of $0.75. The market determined that with the new reduction in supply, the price would average around $0.40 and has maintained that for

saeveritt: Since PPC has reached a stage of maturity (thank you btc halving) to where it’s block reward has encountered another significant drop that mirrors the may 2015 fall, I believe we will find a new price floor very soon and it will correlate with the percentage change in reward

hrobeers: The point is that many coins are killed these days by investors and big money

peerchemist: ie, thanks to our economic model we do not have to run to get new fancy features and keep the speculation bubble going. We are running a marathon, and we are always close to the top even in this early days

hrobeers: Ethereum being the perfect example

saeveritt: Yes, economic models designed to endure bubbles and adapt to fluctuating market pressures will show longevity

JayCoDon: Very good. This should be good enough for now; this was really enlightening. If I have further questions, I’ll send them to Sentinelrv to get them answered.

peerchemist: also sanity of Peercoin is attracting the right minds, at least it seems so to me

hrobeers: I have one thing I’d like to add as developer

JayCoDon: Sure, go ahead

hrobeers: This is key for me: The decentralization makes it possible for everyone to mint a block from time to time. This simplifies experimentation with non-standard txns on the network. This helps innovation.

saeveritt: Enjoyed the questions, Jacob. Thank you.

hrobeers: I’m impressed by the questions, they were very good indeed.

peerchemist: I am glad I have participated, cu around Jacob

Sunny King: Thanks Jacob for a great conversation

Sentinelrv: “The right minds” Yes, I always feel as if peercoin always attracts the most level headed and logical people compared to most other crypto communities.

JayCoDon: And just to make one point: I know everyone is excited about CoinDesk writing about this, but I make no promises. I have a tentative yes from my editor, but until he sees the piece, nothing is for sure. But I’ll do my best. :slight_smile:

Sunny King: appreciate it :slight_smile:

JayCoDon: Talk soon, guys.

hrobeers: Thank Jacob, I think I have to take a subscription to your articles.

Sentinelrv: Thanks!

Sunny King: Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

Sentinelrv: So how did it go you think?

peerchemist: that went well

peerchemist: I think we have suceeded in what I have wanted to do

peerchemist: to give out a fresh image of Peercoin, a community of smart and passionate people

hrobeers: I’m happy :slight_smile:

hrobeers: we gave it our best shot.

peerchemist: yeah I think we gave him enough to write a damn good story

Sunny King: I think it’s probably one of the best participated meetings we have ever did

hrobeers: I can’t imagine how we could have done better

Sunny King: everyone is well heard :slight_smile:

Sentinelrv: And we should do more I think.

saeveritt: I enjoyed reading all of your responses and answering as well:)

hrobeers: we also sounded like a team

Sentinelrv: I will ask Jacob if we could possibly post the chat publicly if/after his article is released.

hrobeers: I’m off

hrobeers: cu guys

Sunny King: bye hrobeers

Sunny King: I need to go too, peerchemist I will drop you email later

Sentinelrv: See you Sunny.

saeveritt: Bye Sunny. Enjoyed the chat. :slight_smile:

Sunny King: thanks guys enjoyed the meeting very much :slight_smile:

Sunny King: talk to you soon

peerchemist: cu sunny

Please help support this interview via social media…

great interview!!!

That was a fun interview to read through. Great work everybody!

I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of [member=33033]JayCoDon[/member] questions and preliminary research on the topic. I do not follow many crypto journalists and will have to keep an eye on future work from him.

I am not sure if this is the appropriate place, but I wanted to pose a question to [member=31975]saeveritt[/member] or anyone else. What does the increasing trade volume of Peercoin in the CNY markets (Jubi, BTC38) and the decreasing volume on the USD/BTC markets (BTC-E) mean for Peercoin?

China is smarter on realizing the importance of Peercoin’s future vs the rest of the world?

Better marketing?

They have more money than the rest of the world to trade, because everytime Peercoin jumps or drops a cent or two, huge profits can be made if you hold a lot?

I think I’ll go with China is smarter.

It means Peercoin is growing up, the fair distribution phase is over.
Mining PPC is business now.

It also shows the importance of mining for PPC, if the mining power moves, the volume follows.

I’d rather be big in China: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/china/balance-of-trade
Than big in the USA: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/balance-of-trade
As China can pay for what they consume.
The United States are living on dept since the seventies.

[quote=“hrobeers, post:6, topic:4017”]It means Peercoin is growing up, the fair distribution phase is over.
It also shows the importance of mining for PPC, if the mining power moves, the volume follows.[/quote]

You will still hear from people “omg, if I could only buy PPC at 40 cents when it was cheap. It’s not fair” – well they can do that now.

Wait 6 months, people will say “if I knew PPC was under 50 cents, I would have bought it went it was cheap. That’s not fair” – well they can do it now too.

Wait 3 years. People will say “If I was around when PPC was under $5.00, I would have bought it when it was cheap. That’s not fair”…

It goes on, and on, and on. People will always complain that they didn’t get in when PPC was cheap.

I keep telling people that PPC is cheap now. But the miners are selling peercoin the same way that bitcoin miners were selling bitcoin when it was 25 cents too. There is no pleasing these people. They always complain, they always feel like that got in late.

What can you do in a situation like this? Just turn a deaf ear.

[quote=“ppcman, post:7, topic:4017”][quote=“hrobeers, post:6, topic:4017”]It means Peercoin is growing up, the fair distribution phase is over.
It also shows the importance of mining for PPC, if the mining power moves, the volume follows.[/quote]

You will still hear from people “omg, if I could only buy PPC at 40 cents when it was cheap. It’s not fair” – well they can do that now.

Wait 6 months, people will say “if I knew PPC was under 50 cents, I would have bought it went it was cheap. That’s not fair” – well they can do it now too.

Wait 3 years. People will say “If I was around when PPC was under $5.00, I would have bought it when it was cheap. That’s not fair”…

It goes on, and on, and on. People will always complain that they didn’t get in when PPC was cheap.

I keep telling people that PPC is cheap now. But the miners are selling peercoin the same way that bitcoin miners were selling bitcoin when it was 25 cents too. There is no pleasing these people. They always complain, they always feel like that got in late.

What can you do in a situation like this? Just turn a deaf ear.[/quote]
“Do not give that which is holy to the dogs, or put your jewels before pigs, for fear that they will be crushed under foot by the pigs whose attack will then be made against you.” (Matthew 7:6)

1 Like

Thank you everyone.

Love that saying “Do not give that which is holy to the dogs, or put your jewels before pigs, for fear that they will be crushed under foot by the pigs whose attack will then be made against you.” (Matthew 7:6)
Read it from this book of Power.