Btcd port to peercoin

I think something like blackhalo might suit the Peercoin community. Decentralised trading platform/exchange. I think the ported btcd might make this easier. The platform also allows for anonymization. Couldn’t find the code though after a quick check.

I agree that minting functionality might be good for the exact reason @mhps provides earlier in this thread. Having different codebases would strengthen the blockchain further although have limited value given the current stability.

Regarding OT, I guess we have to wait for the Bitcoin launch before we get attention from their developers unless someone is prepared to grab their codebase, but that might prove to be challenging.

Anyway, we always knew this would be just a step towards other developments. So if it is considered ready and stable now, I would say congrats with this achievement :slight_smile:

I’d like to see minting working first.

BTCD wallet is for testnet only, holding/sending mainnet coins is risky, not saying about keeping decrypted keys in memory for minting, Peercoin-core is irreplaceable for this right now imo. PPCD + hardware wallet for minting: that would be v. interesting.

I’ think running it on mainnet and minting should be the long-term goal. Before cold locked minting comes online, we have decrypted keys in memory for minting all the time anyway. Once cold locked minting is available, implementing it for ppcd should result in a safe solution.

ppcd for transaction only is useful but I think we’d need to wait for the OT train.

Hey guys, wasn’t the OT use case also about ability to mint over the Bitcoin use case? Maybe the minting feature should be the focus?

I have go lang and running BTCD successfully, but cannot compile it:

go get -v github.com/mably/ppcd
github.com/mably/ppcd

github.com/mably/ppcd

./rpcwebsocket.go:498: cannot use rawTx (type *“github.com/mably/btcjson”.TxRawResult) as type *“github.com/conformal/btcjson”.TxRawResult in argument to btcws.NewTxAcceptedVerboseNtfn

any word of wisdom? Thank you!

Hi micax, thanx for your interest in the ppcd project.

Sadly the master branch is a bit outdated at the moment, you should try to switch to the “mably” branch for each module.

kac- have kindly contributed some documentation about it here: https://github.com/mably/ppcd/issues/4

If you feel like helping us on this project, you are welcome of course! :slight_smile:

FYI ppcd should build fine on master branch now.

Some tests based on btc data are still failing though. Will be fixed in a near future.

Again, if you feel like helping, just chime in :slight_smile:

[quote=“mably, post:68, topic:2671”]FYI ppcd should build fine on master branch now.

Some tests based on btc data are still failing though. Will be fixed in a near future.

Again, if you feel like helping, just chime in :)[/quote]

Im definitely interested!let me know what i can do! )

[quote=“micax, post:69, topic:2671”][quote=“mably, post:68, topic:2671”]FYI ppcd should build fine on master branch now.

Im definitely interested!let me know what i can do! )[/quote]

Welcome on board! We are definitely happy to see new members join the ppcd team :slight_smile:

Have you been able to get the code from github and setup a development environment?

I personaly discovered Go and started working on ppcd less than 4 months ago, so it’s quite easy if you have some good development background.

I’m using Eclipse with the goclipse plugin and liteide from time to time for debugging. Debugging is not available in goclipse yet.

There is still a lot of things to do in ppcd and ppcwallet.

For example, some of the peercoin specific apis are not implemented or only partially and minting has not been implemented yet.

Of course you are welcome to work on the code documentation and comments.

You can then send a pull request once you have some stuff done.

kac- and myself are most of the time (europe) available for chat on the Freenode #ppcd channel if you have any question.

See you soon.

[quote=“mably, post:70, topic:2671”][quote=“micax, post:69, topic:2671”][quote=“mably, post:68, topic:2671”]FYI ppcd should build fine on master branch now.

Im definitely interested!let me know what i can do! )[/quote]

Welcome on board! We are definitely happy to see new members join the ppcd team :slight_smile:

Have you been able to get the code from github and setup a development environment?

I personaly discovered Go and started working on ppcd less than 4 months ago, so it’s quite easy if you have some good development background.

I’m using Eclipse with the goclipse plugin and liteide from time to time for debugging. Debugging is not available in goclipse yet.

There is still a lot of things to do in ppcd and ppcwallet.

For example, some of the peercoin specific apis are not implemented or only partially and minting has not been implemented yet.

Of course you are welcome to work on the code documentation and comments.

You can then send a pull request once you have some stuff done.

kac- and myself are most of the time (europe) available for chat on the Freenode #ppcd channel if you have any question.

See you soon.[/quote]

Hi.

yes i set it up from mably branch and ran couple time - so it synced with current blockchain.

thats it for now ( unfortunately im not a developper just a sys admin. - but if you need beta testing and/or build/rebuilding testing - I can help ))
Thank you guys!

+1 for quick reference.

Go seems to be in the C family. :wink: I think it’s time to learn a new language and get busy.

Any help will be welcome! :wink:

Hi Miners and Coders !

I have a few questions regarding the Hardware wallets known as TREZOR (Slush / satoshilabs), LedgerWallet, and the HardBit HB01M. Is your software able to work with one or more of these wallets ? If not yet, is planified to be done ?

I will very happy to contribute by helping to fund the project, as it looks very promising.
Thanks for the answer, Michel.

[quote=“MichelG, post:74, topic:2671”]I will very happy to contribute by helping to fund the project, as it looks very promising.
Thanks for the answer, Michel.[/quote]

Hi Michel, thanx for willing to help, it will be greatly appreciated. What do you want to know exactly?

Do we need to implement some special apis to be compatible with those hardware wallets?

ppcd can be easily expendable so I guess it shouldn’t be a problem.

May be you could ask your question directly to the Conformal btcd team.

@mably, can you comment on ppcd in the context of counterparty here http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3594.msg35639#msg35639 ?

Done.

Thanks!

It looks like someone donated 6000 PPC to the ppcd project?? It is now the top project on Peer4commit.

That is a lot of money. Impressive, hope it motivates to get it off the ground. Work for Mably :wink: