Basics of peercoin

My understanding is this:

Peercoins are held in a wallet. a wallet number and a password are really the wallet, so they can be plugged in anywhere.

How can you change 10 dollars for peercoins? I prefer paypal or credit card.

David

Hey sparta1978,

yeah, your basic understanding is fine. But we use different wordings. I would formulated it like this: Peercoins are token in a global ledger, the blockchain. These tokens can be moved from one wallet two another by the use of private keys. You can import your private key for your Peercoins in any Peercoinwallet and hence access your Peercoins from anywhere in the world.

The easiest way to get Peercoins is to buy some Bitcoins and then exchange these Bitcoins for Peercoins at btc-e.com.

Regarding the “password”, the wallet on your computer actually contains private keys, which are the rights to spend the peercoins. Anyone with those keys can spend the coins, so users usually encrypt their computer wallet file with a password, which is possible from the menu of the wallet program. This helps protect against a virus on the computer reading the wallet and spending the coins.

If you are located in the US, it’s very convenient to purchase bitcoins at coinbase.com, and then transfer them to another exchange to purchase peercoins. That’s what I would recommend for new users.

If you are located in Canada, the exchange Vault of Satoshi is a good option.

Thank you for replies guys. Useful information.

It sounds like the path to PPC is through BTC at this point.

Josojo, i did a little review reading on btc-e, they have a list of unhappy clientelle accusing them of stealing their coins and such.

Chronos, i will look into coinbase.com
again, good info.

for me there is no need to buy coins, just curiosity to learn a new technology, and speculate on a metioric rise.

Personally, I think that btc-e is a great exchange. Nearly all the Peercoin tradingvolume happens there. I have had never any problem with this exchange and I do not know anyone who experience any problems. We all know that btc-e looks differently and has this creepy trollbox, but this plattform provided a great services over the last 2 years. That is why I trust them.

It’s always the same, if you are looking for criticism you will find it on the internet. Thus, of course, you will find criticism about btc-e. I would recommend btc-e, but its your choice.

You can get scammed by BTC-e, but that doesn’t mean you will. I have used them before and been ok. If you are using a small amount of money, I would just not worry about that small risk. Be sure to withdraw your PPC from the exchange after you buy, no matter which exchange you use.

if your getting started with peercoin i recommend peercoinbasics on youtube

I don’t understand the centralized checkpoints in Peercoin. Can someone explain what they are, and how they affect the system? Are they good or bad?

Centralized checkpoints are a mecanism controlled by Sunny King. It can be used to tell the nodes which chain is the valid one in case someone attacks the network by releasing an alternate chain of blocks.
You can get more info about it here: Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!.

Centralized checkpoints are a mecanism controlled by Sunny King. It can be used to tell the nodes which chain is the valid one in case someone attacks the network by releasing an alternate chain of blocks.
You can get more info about it here: Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!

bitcoin also uses checkpoints still, one added to last release:

[ul][li]Add a new checkpoint at block 295,000[/li][/ul]

This is my second post - sorry to not have anything important to say. :slight_smile:

peercoins also stake so when u have wallet ope nu can make some free ones.

Same for me,but doesn’t that constitute cheating ?

Hello everybody!

I wonder if someone is still mining Peercoins with the help of their own PC instead of some spec. equipment.

[quote=“Qumy, post:14, topic:2771”]Hello everybody!

I wonder if someone is still mining Peercoins with the help of their own PC instead of some spec. equipment.[/quote]

Nobody mines with their pc anymore since SHA asics came out, if you want to do CPU/GPU mining check out DASH and other X11 coins.

Welcome Qumy! Make sure you’re familiar with the unique terminology and features of Peercoin. We make a distinction here between POW mining and POS minting. Minting is the primary way more Peercoins are produced now, and you can certainly do it with a PC (or even a smaller device such as a Raspberry Pi.)

Just like with Bitcoin, mining does require expensive, specialized hardware to be profitable these days. However, thanks to Peercoin’s ingenious design we don’t have to worry about large, centralized powerhouses monopolizing mining and controlling the blockchain!

Edit: fixed accidental transposition of POW and POS above - thanks for catching it caribou!

I’m a proponent of Shapeshift.io if you don’t want to sign up with exchanges and you already have an established path to exchanging crypto for cash.
I have an account with Circle, I buy BTC and then convert BTC into PPC using Shapeshift.

Outstanding, looks great!