Who can make FAUCET PEERCOIN WEBSITE?

hmm yeah, you’re right, didnt think of that

I enabled the faucet on the standard blockchain: http://peercoinfaucet.com/

Awesome :slight_smile: looks great

I sent 3 PPC to the faucet lets see if it shows up

Would you be willing to share the code?

Fuzzybear

It looks like ppcoind is stuck on block 20017, so it doesn’t receive your transaction. I’ll try to figure this out.

The code is here: GitHub - sigmike/peercoin-faucet: Peercoin website to give free peercoins

The delay between request processing was 1 day. I reduced it to 1 hour. All the pending requests have been fulfilled.

Actually 0.01 was taken as a fee per recipient, and not once for the whole transaction as I thought. And an extra 0.01 to transfer the amount back to the faucet itself.
I use the “sendmany” command of ppcoind. Is there another way to send to multiple recipients which would pay the fee only once?

Edit: strikethrough my misunderstanding, see below

Nevermind, the fee was paid only once.

The output of “listtransactions” used to generate the transaction table on the site is confusing: it associates the fee with all recipients.

What protection have u against proxies being used by someone to get multiple payouts. Have u a blacklist of ip’s that u can add wildcard ip’s to, might be worth blocking tor exit nodes to avoid spam requests as well… just a few ideas / concerns
Fuzzybear

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

There’s no such protection. It’s purely based on the uniqueness of the IP in the time frame.

But it can easily be added if we have a list of IP to blacklist.

It won’t prevent people owning multiple IP from getting multiple payouts though.

Another protection would be to extend the delay between requests from the same IP. For example a month or more. So that people having access to multiple IP cannot get too much.

Well i would like to see a start of a list of IP’s to block that can be added to over time. I think we are trying to give people their first coins and nothing more… hence a once visit should be enough to get them started… we don’t want people drainging it for the few coins in the pot.

If you add the blacklist IP’s to the code and set a limit of say per 2 weeks per IP bofore you can request more, I am happy to run your code at faucet.peercointalk.org and this way we can give people two places to get them started and hopefully reduce the desire to attack the faucet.

You happy with this?

Fuzzybear

Ok I’ll add a blacklist.

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:29, topic:1066”]If you add the blacklist IP’s to the code and set a limit of say per 2 weeks per IP bofore you can request more, I am happy to run your code at faucet.peercointalk.org and this way we can give people two places to get them started and hopefully reduce the desire to attack the faucet.

You happy with this?[/quote]

Adding a second place you also add an opportunity to drain more coins. If you have multiple IP you can get double coins for each IP.

If the point is to limit as much as possible to 1 request per individual, having multiple places doesn’t seem to be the right direction. Unless the different places share the IP data.

[quote=“sigmike, post:30, topic:1066”]Adding a second place you also add an opportunity to drain more coins. If you have multiple IP you can get double coins for each IP.

If the point is to limit as much as possible to 1 request per individual, having multiple places doesn’t seem to be the right direction. Unless the different places share the IP data.[/quote]
Yup there is that threat that an exploit on one will lead to an exploit on the other and potentially both faucets drained.

Any ideas how it would be best to share the IP data between us if we were to go that route? guess could push to github each day and we both pull and merge but might run into conflicts etc…

I am happy to run the peercointalk faucet from my own funds for a while as I have been keen for users to have a faucet, and if an exploit is found then i’m only going to keep about 5 PPC at a time in the faucet so if lost not the end of the world.

I would have prefered to have modded the faucet i found and run that so there are two very different faucets up so I may still do this but I wanted to also run through installing this faucet and getting it up and running so we can hammer out any bugs and some nice step by step guides as I’m sure others will be happy to set up faucets as well… is a great promoter of the coin.

Fuzzybear

Limiting by wallet address and then IP seems like the most prudent approach, to start. If the amounts are low enough, it’s likely not worth it for someone to try to manually try or automate an attack to pull in a couple of PPC for a bunch of work.

Then again, I guess I shouldn’t underestimate the tenacity of some people to game the system… :frowning:

The server could ask the other one before it saves the request, or before it processes it.

We would have to use the same time frame.

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:31, topic:1066”][quote=“sigmike, post:30, topic:1066”]Adding a second place you also add an opportunity to drain more coins. If you have multiple IP you can get double coins for each IP.

If the point is to limit as much as possible to 1 request per individual, having multiple places doesn’t seem to be the right direction. Unless the different places share the IP data.[/quote]
Yup there is that threat that an exploit on one will lead to an exploit on the other and potentially both faucets drained.

Any ideas how it would be best to share the IP data between us if we were to go that route? guess could push to github each day and we both pull and merge but might run into conflicts etc…

I am happy to run the peercointalk faucet from my own funds for a while as I have been keen for users to have a faucet, and if an exploit is found then i’m only going to keep about 5 PPC at a time in the faucet so if lost not the end of the world.

I would have prefered to have modded the faucet i found and run that so there are two very different faucets up so I may still do this but I wanted to also run through installing this faucet and getting it up and running so we can hammer out any bugs and some nice step by step guides as I’m sure others will be happy to set up faucets as well… is a great promoter of the coin.

Fuzzybear[/quote]

The application we coded limits by IP Address, and can detect if proxies are being used (to help limit fraud)… We store all IP addresses in a central encrypted database … It is easy to simply export the results and share those if needed.

Just let me know what may work best for you.

Thanks,
Ryan
AuraWallet.com

Maybe it is too hard to implement, but what about tying it to the Peercointalk user account database. Each user account only gets one go at the faucet. To make it even harder for imposters you might even authenticate against that database. But maybe things get complicated too quickly here, and we should just try the suggestions from previous posters first.

My faucet now blocks requests from IP listed on any of these DNS blacklists: https://github.com/chrislee35/dnsbl-client/blob/master/data/dnsbl.yaml
It includes tor exit nodes, open proxies, spammers, etc.

And the delay between 2 requests from the same IP is now 2 weeks.

[quote=“sigmike, post:36, topic:1066”]My faucet now blocks requests from IP listed on any of these DNS blacklists: https://github.com/chrislee35/dnsbl-client/blob/master/data/dnsbl.yaml
It includes tor exit nodes, open proxies, spammers, etc.

And the delay between 2 requests from the same IP is now 2 weeks.[/quote]

Perhaps an idea… Why not ask for an email address? The email address is one way of authenticating against the IP address, but also a means to provide information about Peercoin, the intention of the faucet, and mining. Like a FAQ, together with links to various resources. That will attract many more people to go out and research some, go mining, or to participate in forums like peercointalk.org.

I wrote more detailed installation instructions : GitHub - sigmike/peercoin-faucet: Peercoin website to give free peercoins
It may not be complete or clear enough. Open an issue on github if you have questions or suggestions.

sigmike thanks. I will make new faucet soon as i can. Right now im mining peercoins and trying promote it.

E: Im lost with wallet. I tried install it on ubuntu and only got error when i try run ppcoin wallet. So i dont have any clue how to connect it to faucet. :frowning:

DUMP and http://peercoin.esy.es

Still cannot connect to wallet. Anyone help? Im collecting coins now and hope i get faucet up soon!