Where are we?

I’ve been thinking this over, can someone tell me where we are as far as competition? Unless I’m being left out, we have little to distinguish ourselves from other coins. We have a nice website, a good idea, but no return as far as worth/ability to distinguish ourselves from other coins. POS is a fantastic idea. It’s implemented in virtually every currency on earth. But how do we distinguish ourselves from say NXT, that has more features, ideas, worth about the same…Where is peer coin going? Is there a roadmap that I can look at? I hope there is something big in the works, because I have a feeling we’re being left out/ not moving fast enough. Does anybody else have these concerns? Are they noteworthy or simply feelings or…?

It feels a heck of a lot better than it did six months ago, and light-years beyond what it did a year ago. Things have been better recently IMO, with real growth in several areas, increased communication from Sunny King and a few important people stepping up and taking leadership positions.

I don’t think most people give a shit about features. That’s why Bitcoin and Litecoin still hold #1 & 2 by a large margin. When you step back from all the alt coin madness and really look, none of them really seem that impressive. Like there hasn’t been a true revolution yet. And it’ll take something like a revolution to make a dent in the size and acceptance of Bitcoin anytime soon. Fingers crossed NuBits could be that for Peercoin, but we’ll just have to see. Even without it I feel that Peercoin’s development is healthy though it can still improve.

Edit: Typo, put behind instead of beyond ::slight_smile:

we have no competition from any other crypto because they don’t get where the real money is and its not in retail, eg amazon/ebay/walmart.

BTC on Amazon is like LTC on GOX.

Peercoins basically have the parameters set to take the backbone of the lot.

We have peeshare, Nubits coming and also the funding system online, that is basically what PTS bitshare is IPO’ing for atm.

Cold lock on the way with opt out checkpointing.

Sunnyking added to Peercoin DEV team.

PrimeCoin is tag team.

The community lacks the drama of basically every other crypto out there.

PPC has done very well since last Feb. Much better than LTC or BTC.

We could do with some more volume on more exchanges.

NXT is ok, but its a swiss knife aproach, not really suited to backbone, also has launch stigma…though I’m not sure how negative that is.

Peercoin is for the long game. Its not flash in the pan stuff.

The best way I cam describe it is changes in boundary conditions on the navier stokes equations can lead to radically different outcomes.

Peercoin PoS difficulty was 4.0 a year ago and it is 12.0 now. Can you guess how much it will be by the end of this year?

PoS difficulty means people hold PPC. Once more people come to buy PPC, its price will fly. PPC can up 500% or 1000% in one day.

Interesting question sprite1308,

The secret to a coins success is quite simple. What can you do with it ? I think that the features of a coin play a role in the early life of the coin were they attract initial interest from people, known as the early adopters. On another note, a coins ecosystem plays the biggest role in it’s price and market cap. So, the more you can do with the coin/bigger ecosystem, the higher the price and market cap. If you ask me, the current price of PPC is pretty accurate with regards to it’s current ecosystem. PPC may be better than BTC in some ways, but BTC has the network effect on its side, along with its ecosystem which absolutely dwarfs PPC’s. Hence, the massive difference in price. PPC’s ecosystem needs to grow in order to get ahead of its competition and see an increase in its price.

TL;DR, a coin’s features play an important role in the early life of the coin. A coin’s price is simply derived from the size of its ecosystem.

One “feature” of Peercoin that can never be duplicated is the age of it’s blockchain. No current or future competitor can offer a comparable historical record of security. This is why I applaud Peercoin developers for moving slowly and methodically when it comes to new changes. The flashy features of most new POS coins are generally either wallet enhancement or layers on the blockchain - both of which are easily incorporated into Peercoin down the road if proven secure and valuable. Peershares, Peerunity (and NuBits?) are already evidence of this fact. When my money is involved, I prefer for the underlying blockchain to remain as simple and durable as possible, and I would be wary of entrusting any significant wealth in a less seasoned ledger.

Still peercoin needs a bullish price again, to get more people in the community and spread the news. In my opinion it’s the best time now to buy ppc, i waited 5 month for these prices and with a recovering btc, ppc will also get more attention.
I also think that real innovation isn’t the only key to a successful Coin, just look at all the big companies like apple etc. they just have a brilliant marketing and not always the better product. So ppc needs a good marketing and a solid concept, not thousands of crazy features like NXT.

I’ve been encouraged by the quality of discussions lately. I think it took a long time for people to review and understand the Peercoin code well enough to start contributing. That’s what we’re starting to see now. Unfortunately though, most of the developers are engaged in NuBits, so we’re not seeing an accurate picture of Peercoin’s development power, since work is going on somewhere other than this forum. Once NuBits is complete, these developers will be able to join Sunny on the core dev team and focus their attention on all different aspects of Peercoin’s development.

[quote=“JetJet13, post:5, topic:2642”]Interesting question sprite1308,

The secret to a coins success is quite simple. What can you do with it ? I think that the features of a coin play a role in the early life of the coin were they attract initial interest from people, known as the early adopters. On another note, a coins ecosystem plays the biggest role in it’s price and market cap. So, the more you can do with the coin/bigger ecosystem, the higher the price and market cap. If you ask me, the current price of PPC is pretty accurate with regards to it’s current ecosystem. PPC may be better than BTC in some ways, but BTC has the network effect on its side, along with its ecosystem which absolutely dwarfs PPC’s. Hence, the massive difference in price. PPC’s ecosystem needs to grow in order to get ahead of its competition and see an increase in its price.

TL;DR, a coin’s features play an important role in the early life of the coin. A coin’s price is simply derived from the size of its ecosystem.[/quote]

this view has some merit, how ever the network effect of who?

eg dell, appl, pc, have network effects to an extent also master card and visa card. But is this where the real money is?

to be sure some decent money/value there. However the real value is between the few that have most of the wealth. While the people/entites who make up the few may change their core needs of backbone transfer will not.

[quote=“jubalix, post:9, topic:2642”][quote=“JetJet13, post:5, topic:2642”]Interesting question sprite1308,

TL;DR, a coin’s features play an important role in the early life of the coin. A coin’s price is simply derived from the size of its ecosystem.[/quote]

this view has some merit, how ever the network effect of who?

eg dell, appl, pc, have network effects to an extent also master card and visa card. But is this where the real money is?

to be sure some decent money/value there. However the real value is between the few that have most of the wealth. While the people/entites who make up the few may change their core needs of backbone transfer will not.[/quote]

something like http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3113 could help