When do we shed checkpoints (not that they're bad)?

Sunny knows when the right time to remove checkpoints is… so I do support his decision.

I was going to echo my concerns about what kind of attack could be waiting for us, but either I’m technically wrong, or I don’t fully understand the security measures in place. (I’d have to go back and re-read things again from our 2014 discussions, etc)

I’ve chosen to keep quiet and have faith in Sunny. He’s done well until now, and I think he will continue to do so… Before Peercoin rises in price, this is probably the best time to do it, sooner than later.

Once we’ve tested the network, and witness some chain fork attempts that fail, we can probably start growing better confidence in the network.

So while my previous posts suggested that removing mandatory checkpoints isn’t a good idea… I never suggested that Sunny could be wrong. I don’t think he is… :slight_smile:

As someone who has purposely issued checkpoints, he’s fully aware of the health of the network and what trials and tribulations it has gone through over time.

[quote=“ppcman, post:21, topic:3931”]Sunny knows when the right time to remove checkpoints is… so I do support his decision.

I was going to echo my concerns about what kind of attack could be waiting for us, but either I’m technically wrong, or I don’t fully understand the security measures in place. (I’d have to go back and re-read things again from our 2014 discussions, etc)

I’ve chosen to keep quiet and have faith in Sunny. He’s done well until now, and I think he will continue to do so… Before Peercoin rises in price, this is probably the best time to do it, sooner than later.

Once we’ve tested the network, and witness some chain fork attempts that fail, we can probably start growing better confidence in the network.

So while my previous posts suggested that removing mandatory checkpoints isn’t a good idea… I never suggested that Sunny could be wrong. I don’t think he is… :slight_smile:

As someone who has purposely issued checkpoints, he’s fully aware of the health of the network and what trials and tribulations it has gone through over time.[/quote]

Sunny seems to have left the decision up to us as a community.

So perhaps the time’s not right yet as things are still being fine tuned. But at some point we as a community of supporters and holders are going to have to discuss when to uncheck the box.

[quote=“merockstar, post:22, topic:3931”]Sunny seems to have left the decision up to us as a community.

So perhaps the time’s not right yet as things are still being fine tuned. But at some point we as a community of supporters and holders are going to have to discuss when to uncheck the box.[/quote]

Interesting concept. Takes some in depth thought. At the very minimum we should have the right tools and information at our disposal to make that decision.

Would be nice to have a tool invented called “Peercoin Blockwatch”. It’s a modified version of a wallet that can scan the chain and look for forks. It can compile statistical information, as well as, acknowledge checkpoints historically.

Could reproduce a report like:

15 checkpoints issued in the past. Click here to see a list and dates

3 forks over 100 blocks in chain witnessed, click here for a list and dates
26 forks under 100 blocks in length witnessed, click here for a list and dates

Currently there is 2 forks.
– Fork at block 2343434 is checkpointed, containing 65 blocks in chain
– Fork at block 2343434 is NOT checkpointed, containing 352 blocks in chain

452 nodes seen online in the last 4 hours

Something like this, so we can be more aware of forks in the community and study the health of the network.

This would be more of a “service” website that could be created. Since this would be a useful compilation of data (similar to a block explorer), we should have two of them doing it. Each one could charge, or do advertising to be compensated for their time.

This website would also be useful for other POS coins forked from Peercoin, so there could be a real need for this…

Would be a perfect candidate for a PeerKeeper plugin.

thats a great idea ppcman.

without such a tool, how would one currently figure out how many times the network has forked, or how often? do we have any kind of data on forking history already?