What infrastructure devopment will peercoin see in 2015?

What are the planned developments for 2015?

• New release of Peercoin core, 0.5 with updated bitcoin core code and cold locked minting feature

• Completion of ppcd (port of btcd to peercoin)

• Further improving and refining of Peerbox, I hope finishing the core platform until summer

• Easy to use Peershares, enabling people to start DAC easily and thus enable creation of PPC economy

• Implementation of development tools for the platform (python libraries, go libraries, node.js libraries, etc) - I hope

• Improvement on Peercoin reputation in cryptocurrency community

Yes. A website that has PHD (Push Here, Dummy) level easiness to create a wallet, a genesis block, and a default node (This last item can be a paid service).

Thanks for creating this list Peerchemist, I’m sure we can do something with this in Marketing 8)

yes please do complete some libraries, the c++ ppcoind rpc api is a little bit too hardcore for some devs

if we can make it easier to create layer 1 (web)services with these libraries, I could see lots of other developments build on top of that. E.g: skyhook atm would be able to support ppc

Yes. A website that has PHD (Push Here, Dummy) level easiness to create a wallet, a genesis block, and a default node (This last item can be a paid service).[/quote]

Exactly, some plans have been proposed for this project and that is why I have mentioned it. However no one has time to work on this right now due to other projects. :frowning:

[quote=“thehuntergames, post:5, topic:3230”]yes please do complete some libraries, the c++ ppcoind rpc api is a little bit too hardcore for some devs

if we can make it easier to create layer 1 (web)services with these libraries, I could see lots of other developments build on top of that. E.g: skyhook atm would be able to support ppc[/quote]

Sure, I hope my next (yet to be published) project will yield at least python libraries for Peercoin.

[quote=“peerchemist, post:2, topic:3230”]* New release of Peercoin core, 0.5 with updated bitcoin core code and cold locked minting feature

• Completion of ppcd (port of btcd to peercoin)

• Further improving and refining of Peerbox, I hope finishing the core platform until summer

• Easy to use Peershares, enabling people to start DAC easily and thus enable creation of PPC economy

• Implementation of development tools for the platform (python libraries, go libraries, node.js libraries, etc) - I hope

• Improvement on Peercoin reputation in cryptocurrency community[/quote]

This above is exciting and solid - but does it make of Peercoin the object of financial investment from which holder-investors can expect returns?

Yes it does! I hope things to come, goals listed above will re-brand Peercoin in minds of investor to see it more as a platform for cryptocurrency economy (a backbone currency) than classic cryptocurrency (a magic internet money).

The way I see it, our way out of this “crysis” is this re-branding.
We can accomplish that very easily by enabling easy DAC creation and providing all needed infrastructure for development (libraries, documentation). Peercoin would then position itself as stable and secure platform for future economy.

This is actually a much more sane approach, in this scenario price does not depend on speculation by guys on the exchange and investors are not expected to just wait for the higher price in the future. In this way, price will be affected by DAC’s which will put buying pressure on the price when they need to pay out dividends. More DAC, more we separate from speculators and enter sane and healthy economy.

This is next PPC bubble, Peershares based crypto-assets issued by DAC’s.

2015 will be the year spawning an army of DACs
some will fail, the backbone will always stay secure

Very good question.
We have 1000s in plans, each one of us have at least few. That’s the strength and weakness. From those 1000s we’ll start 100, 50 will end on sketching phase, another 30 won’t reach proof of concept, 10 will be developed in closed source manner and die in basements, next 10 will publicly die starving for support.
We have competitors which each week announce another full-time-volunteering-developer-enthusiast(wtf?).
Bottom-up development? E.g. https://www.darkwallet.is/ is still in alpha phase, and we’re talking about THE BTC.
How to survive in such rough environment?
IMO the only way is authority based development, hierarchisation of members, strictly- orders to do tasks on the road for great, clear objectives.
We already have King(Sunny), Duke(Mike). More needed.

• notary, depositary - to securely keep real IDs, coins, etc
  • judge
    Full obedience or dethronement.
    I’m not joking, that’s how I see it. What we can offer is unique moral and organisational foundation. Else - slow, democratic bleeding. :slight_smile:

Oh kac- we do need not hierarchy. Current system is not efficient but it is best what we can do. We only need more people I guess, more developers too. Wider community will yield more projects and aid those who are under construction.

May be hierarchy is not the right word but I definitely think we need to setup some kind of official organization to represent and manage Peercoin.

Both BTC and LTC have that kind of organization and it is not really working for them as community has lost say in all the affairs.
So, I will not support founding of any kind of “official” organization.
We need something different, solution that is more tailored to our needs and our expectations.

[quote=“peerchemist, post:13, topic:3230”]Both BTC and LTC have that kind of organization and it is not really working for them as community has lost say in all the affairs.
So, I will not support founding of any kind of “official” organization.
We need something different, solution that is more tailored to our needs and our expectations.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree.

What didn’t work for someone else, doesn’t mean it won’t work for us.

Bitcoin and Litecoin smeared the word foundation negatively.

But, with any type of business, you can be a company who listens to your consumers or not.

The decision lies to the people who founded the group.

I much prefer a distributed approached to attempted centralised and hierarchical structures. But you can still have organisations. I wouldn’t like an organisation to be seen as the face of Peercoin though.

A distributed approach doesn’t have to be disorganised and messy. As long as people are willing to communicate and work together there’s no reason things can’t get done in an efficient manner.

I’m not talking about some shady, pardon, circle-j****.
What about letting sigmike(I don’t know his opinion, just an example) to command, lets say for 3 months, no questions or voting, there is a task and it has to be done- code, tests, nodes, whatever. Complete peerchemist’s list point by point. What would you say?

And what can that person do to accomplish does goals? It is not like any of us are employed with Peercoin, great leader can not fire us or threaten us in any way.
Only thing great leader can do is sit down and get buisy, to finish those projects himself.

[quote=“MatthewLM, post:15, topic:3230”]I much prefer a distributed approached to attempted centralised and hierarchical structures. But you can still have organisations. I wouldn’t like an organisation to be seen as the face of Peercoin though.

A distributed approach doesn’t have to be disorganised and messy. As long as people are willing to communicate and work together there’s no reason things can’t get done in an efficient manner.[/quote]

Is there any well known distributed organization we could use as a model for Peercoin?

EDIT: I would add that, at the moment, the Peercoin organization is totally centralized in one single anonymous entity: Sunny King.

What I usually see is people working on projects and posting in their own project threads saying that they need help from more developers to finish faster. This doesn’t seem to do much to get the word out. Don’t you think that we should be trying to advertise in places to get the development help we need? If they require payment, we can use Peer4commit to raise funding for the project. People may not be able to help themselves, but they can donate so the project managers can try and get the help they need. (It would be great if peer4commit used NuBits) Maybe a paid developer will even become interested in Peercoin during their work here and stay and volunteer on other projects. Do any of the other coin communities advertise in specific places to get the help they need for their projects?

[quote=“peerchemist, post:17, topic:3230”]And what can that person do to accomplish does goals? It is not like any of us are employed with Peercoin, great leader can not fire us or threaten us in any way.
Only thing great leader can do is sit down and get buisy, to finish those projects himself.[/quote]
Very true. Only thing what can be done is put some bounties or funds against activities desired by the community.
I think we have the structures for that in place: Bounties on Peer4commit for developments and a Marketing Fund to support them and the coin itself, just need people to take the money and get busy or create new proposals which can be awarded by the community kickstarter style.

You can argue about the amount of money available (after the steep decline of PPC) in existing funds, but that might only be a recent issue and I haven’t seen anyone raising that problem yet. I’m sure the community would rally together for the right proposals and top it up if required.

Edit: @sentinelrv, I think you hit the nail on the head. It is very hard to get good developers as the competition amongst all the coins is huge. Good developers go for the easy and/or interesting jobs and they can pick what they want. There are some reddits dedicated to this, but they don’t seem to be very popular. Possibly the Bitcointalk threads are better. The problem is you need a decent developer, which does care to deliver a good job.