What do you think about Ypool?

Just found http://ypool.net/

Does anybody know if this is scam and/or if the cpu miner does work?

It only supports win32 atm. So not a really alternative so far.

Edit 02.08.2013:

While this thread starts very negative about ypool, it has turned to an real alternative to solomining and is still the only pool for XPM. Just wanted to say that, to prevent people from reading the first posts of this thread and then skip.

Seems really odd

I agree, didn’t register there because of that. But I will keep a close watch to it.
Just wondered if someone already tried it.

There have been several mentions on bitcointalk about ypool being a scam. Don’t take my word for it, just be careful.

It seems that they are finding blocks. From what I’ve heard though, there are ways to “cheat” the system it is using for distribution of work. I have no way of verifying this so don’t quote me on that.

It is all experimental at this point. It will be nice when a proven and rigorously tested pool solution is released for primecoin.

I’ve been mining at ypool.net for almost 24 hours now. I have a confirmed balance just below the 2 XPM min. payout already.

Check there community forum for the jhminer x64 beta miner. :wink:

http://community.ypool.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=5

There is also a script (.bat) to restart the miner every x mins (30-60 recommended) as it is occasionally freezing on some PC’s

They are actively working on a new miner to improve on traffic compression by over 80% and massively reduce the currently high level of rejects on shares. They are also working on a GPU miner apparently!

All good thus far. The pool has 3400 confirmations however, whilst they build up some pool liquidity.

I’ll keep you posted.

Excellent thank u for posting about the pool I’ll give it a try tonight

Fuzzybear

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:7, topic:246”]Excellent thank u for posting about the pool I’ll give it a try tonight

Fuzzybear[/quote]

The Getwork protocol seems to be offline. Hopefully it’s being sorted out.

The admins are active in the chat box if you register an account. I guess the pools been hit pretty hard, being the only public one thus far.

EDIT: Sorted :slight_smile:

jh00 from ypool.net here,

currently we are really fighting with the high demand and performance issues. We are working on a solution right now but it will take some more time. My personal recommendation for anyone willing to try the pool is to wait 1-2 more days until we have the new server structure and miner ready.

Regarding the win32 only miner: By now there is an unofficial x64 build if you want to squeeze out some extra performance on Windows. A Linux version is planned but it’s rather low priority right now. However, several users have confirmed that the win32 miner works just fine using WINE without any performance loss.

[quote=“jh00, post:9, topic:246”]jh00 from ypool.net here,

currently we are really fighting with the high demand and performance issues. We are working on a solution right now but it will take some more time. My personal recommendation for anyone willing to try the pool is to wait 1-2 more days until we have the new server structure and miner ready.

Regarding the win32 only miner: By now there is an unofficial x64 build if you want to squeeze out some extra performance on Windows. A Linux version is planned but it’s rather low priority right now. However, several users have confirmed that the win32 miner works just fine using WINE without any performance loss.[/quote]

Hey jh00,

Welcome to the forum :smiley: great to see you here, and thank you for all the info about your pool, I am happy to help test and point miners at pool… also if u have source code for the miner i can try a linux build aty some point to help out :slight_smile:

Great work on the pool again, iron out the bugs :stuck_out_tongue: and let us know if we can do anything to help :slight_smile:

FuzzyBear

Regarding the win32 only miner: By now there is an unofficial x64 build if you want to squeeze out some extra performance on Windows. A Linux version is planned but it’s rather low priority right now. However, several users have confirmed that the win32 miner works just fine using WINE without any performance loss.[/quote]

Glad to see you here and that you are working hard to improve the pool you’ve put together. I did not mean to sound negative in my post above, I was simply trying to express that I am sure you have a hell of a challenge getting everything working properly and any primecoin pool is very much experimental at this time.

Solo mining has been pretty dry for me the past few days, so I may be giving your pool a shot shortly once you have everything sorted out :slight_smile:

Hi jh00 and welcome to ppcointalk.org,

The new pool jhPrimeminer v0.21.1 ‘Official’ build seems to be much more stable so far over the previous build and is churning the shares. 8)

Good job!

My First ypool.net Payout Received - Payment Proof:

Date: 19/07/2013 15:10
To: AVMUu1fQc7wEUAhva7Gxrz7aZiJZvwvWaD (own address)
Credit: 2.284574 XPM
Net amount: +2.284574 XPM
Transaction ID: 66f7a1b0d7120c91f668114b337756aa083ee4f343ac468bc314881d82526daa

Thank you - testix and jh00 - keep up the good work!

PPCoinFX, how much time did it take for you to get that payout?

[quote=“MUTO, post:1, topic:246”]Just found http://ypool.net/

It only supports win32 atm. So not a really alternative so far.[/quote]

10 blocks found per day for the only pool is extremely low…

either this is a scam, or someone already coded gpu miners…or both.

[quote=“Caz Money, post:15, topic:246”][quote=“MUTO, post:1, topic:246”]Just found http://ypool.net/

It only supports win32 atm. So not a really alternative so far.[/quote]

10 blocks found per day for the only pool is extremely low…

either this is a scam, or someone already coded gpu miners…or both.[/quote]

There are almost certainly people running GPU miners in secret right now. I would not say this pool is a scam, it just needs to work out all the kinks.

Setting up an XPM pool and finding a good way to evenly distribute the workload between miners is a lot more difficult than the configuration of the other pools in existence right now. It’s all new territory at this time.

I found this explanation from Koooooj over at bitcointalk about one of the potential issues with pooled XPM mining. The explanation seems sensible to me. Are there any ways Ypool plans to solve this exploit?

Quote from: Koooooj on Today at 05:40:09 PM
The miner for ypool can never match the efficiency of a solo miner, and it certainly can’t compete with mikaelh’s most recent builds. This is because in pooled mining (at least ypool’s implementation of it) the miners are paid to produce blocks of a lower-than-network difficulty, as in Bitcoin. This is not a problem in Bitcoin since you can’t look for low difficulty shares without looking for high difficulty shares at the same time.

However, in Primecoin it is very possible to tune ones search for shorter chains. For example if, after the sieve, you find a collection of 7 numbers that are in the form of a chain (e.g. H-1, 2H-1, 4H-1, 8H-1…) but the number on either side of the chain was proven to be composite then you should not waste time with an expensive primality test on any of the numbers–it will never be a valid share when the network difficulty is 8 or higher. However, if miners are paid to produce shares of difficulty 7 then they should check this chain.

There are a few resolutions to this dilemma. One possibility is that everyone checks all chains that aren’t long enough to be network shares but could still be pool shares. This is fair for everyone–nobody has an advantage over anyone else–but it means that fewer blocks are generated overall (everyone is wasting time that doesn’t benefit the network). Another possibility is that some people ignore the shorter chains, while others check all chains. This gives an unfair advantage to the people checking the shorter chains–they will produce fewer valid blocks for the pool this way while producing more shares and taking a larger cut of the profits. The final option is if everyone only checks the longer chains while ignoring the shorter ones. This is the solution that gives the highest average payout and is the one that ypool is trying for, but it has the problem that if anyone wants to increase their payout they just have to change a couple lines of code and suddenly they can start taking a higher payout. This is a classic case of the Tragedy of the Commons.

I have explained this attack in detail to (who I think were) the operators of ypool and they have continued to operate. The only case where mining with them is a wise decision is if you are so averse to variance that you are willing to take an enormous cut to your profits (e.g. 50% or more) in exchange for a more regular payout.

craslovell, this guy is kind of rushing on us. He is right about the issue but considering that I am the only one developing the pool server and pool miner (well I got some help now) it’s obvious that I can barely keep up with the work, yet I also have to stay on top with the performance updates of other miners. I have to set priorities and as many are likely aware, I have mentioned several times that the pool is still beta/experimental. The exploit he describes is not really unstoppable. Currently I record the difficulty of every single share submitted. In theory I can check the ratio of short/long chains and get a hint about the probability of the user cheating. However, using this method I cannot detect if someone sends only a small ratio of unfair shares. It’s all a temporary solution.

On the bright side, I think I found a more permanent solution to this problem that will be good enough for a while. You can read about it in my response in the original reddit thread here.

[quote=“jh00, post:18, topic:246”]craslovell, this guy is kind of rushing on us. He is right about the issue but considering that I am the only one developing the pool server and pool miner (well I got some help now) it’s obvious that I can barely keep up with the work, yet I also have to stay on top with the performance updates of other miners. I have to set priorities and as many are likely aware, I have mentioned several times that the pool is still beta/experimental. The exploit he describes is not really unstoppable. Currently I record the difficulty of every single share submitted. In theory I can check the ratio of short/long chains and get a hint about the probability of the user cheating. However, using this method I cannot detect if someone sends only a small ratio of unfair shares. It’s all a temporary solution.

On the bright side, I think I found a more permanent solution to this problem that will be good enough for a while. You can read about it in my response in the original reddit thread here.[/quote]

jh00,

Thank you for the explanation. I am not trying to detract from your pool, I am simply attempting to point out one of the challenges to fair pool mining with primecoin. I support your efforts to make the pool solid and fair. If I had any clue when it comes to coding I would be trying to assist myself. Unfortunately I am close to clueless. The furthest I ever got with it in school was making a basic store calculator in c++ :stuck_out_tongue:

Please post updates/fixes to the pool in this thread if you can. It will be a good hub of information for users here.

EDIT: Perhaps it would be better to make a new thread under your name.

I will do so once I consider our pool stable, secure and able to scale without performance problems. We have already much more workers than we should have for the current server architecture.