Weekly Update #135

Weekly Update #135

[ul][li]I have updated peercoin v0.4 branch (master) with raw transaction related API changes from peerunity. This is to meet the requirements of peermessage and other community projects. Developers can test them out.([/li]
[li]Fuzzybear is working on including IRC chat and a block explorer into peerunity.[/li]
[li]If you have resource to run a domain name server, check out thokon00’s dnsseed for peercoin: GitHub - thokon00/ppcoin-seeder: ppcoin-seeder for the Peercoin network. Let us know to include your dnsseed in source code. This would help with the seed nodes downtime issue we experienced last week.[/li][/ul]

Have fun!

First time hearing about this. Was this announced on the forum somewhere?

[ul][quote=“Sentinelrv, post:2, topic:3423”][quote=“Sunny King, post:1, topic:3423”]Fuzzybear is working on including IRC chat and a block explorer into peerunity.[/li][/ul][/quote]

First time hearing about this. Was this announced on the forum somewhere?[/quote]

I don’t think it was, but Fuzzy talked about it in the chatbox recently. He also sent a few messages on IRC via his Peercoin client :).

Working version on Peerunity with chatbox can be built from my repo code here https://github.com/FuzzyBearBTC/Peerunity

I raised issue on the main Peerunity repo to about it https://github.com/Peerunity/Peerunity/issues/161

Just need to make the pull request but github issues atm with this, and yes was all mentioned in chat or testing IRC

Fuzzybear

Done.

That dynamic seed node nameserver responds at ppcseed.ns.7server.net and is hosted on 213.165.83.102. That’s on a reliable VPS with a static IP.
My own home-hosted Peercoin node is available on ppcnode.7server.net and has a dynamic IP, but should be available almost 24/7 and could easily handle more traffic. The hosting of that is completely independent of the dynamic seed node nameserver (except for InterNetworX as the top level NS hoster), so it might make sense to add that as well.

Great job! I am adding your dns to dnsseed list in the code, both the peercoin master and develop branches, and peerunity as well.

Really appreciate it :slight_smile:

[quote=“TheSeven, post:5, topic:3423”]Done.

That dynamic seed node nameserver responds at ppcseed.ns.7server.net and is hosted on 213.165.83.102. That’s on a reliable VPS with a static IP.
My own home-hosted Peercoin node is available on ppcnode.7server.net and has a dynamic IP, but should be available almost 24/7 and could easily handle more traffic. The hosting of that is completely independent of the dynamic seed node nameserver (except for InterNetworX as the top level NS hoster), so it might make sense to add that as well.[/quote]

I feel having an “in client” block explorer is not useful, since external explorers are widely available. Dev time would better spent on developing more interesting features.

An integrated block chain explorer is useful because it doesn’t depends on third parties. Using an online block explorers entails some trust on its operator (hence a third party). However, I think that it would be better to make it as a separate program (something that runs on a different process and uses the Peercoin or Peerunity API) to keep the Peercoin clients simple and free of feature bloat.

I don’t see a point to add an IRC client to the Peercoin clients. We have more than enough IRC clients already; programming effort has to be split among them already, why dilute it even more?. If you wish to see more participation in the IRC channel, then make a splash screen in the Peercoin clients that invites users to join it and add a button that launches the user’s IRC client.

Complexity is bad for security, and so are miscellaneous features. Security must be the top priority for cryptocurrency clients, not duplicating work done tens of times already (IRC client).

Done.

My own home-hosted Peercoin node is available on ppcnode.7server.net and has a dynamic IP, but should be available almost 24/7 and could easily handle more traffic. The hosting of that is completely independent of the dynamic seed node nameserver (except for InterNetworX as the top level NS hoster), so it might make sense to add that as well.[/quote]

Due to my hosting provider terminating a contract, the IP of this dynamic seed node will change at some time in June of 2016.
I will try to keep the DNS host name ppcseed.ns.7server.net alive, but it will be hosted somewhere else where it might be less reliable.
So if someone else could take over the DNS seeding, or at least complement my seed node, that would probably be a good idea.
Please make sure that the IP (213.165.83.102) isn’t referenced in any releases that you expect to still be in use by June.

[quote=“TheSeven, post:9, topic:3423”]Due to my hosting provider terminating a contract, the IP of this dynamic seed node will change at some time in June of 2016.
I will try to keep the DNS host name ppcseed.ns.7server.net alive, but it will be hosted somewhere else where it might be less reliable.
So if someone else could take over the DNS seeding, or at least complement my seed node, that would probably be a good idea.
Please make sure that the IP (213.165.83.102) isn’t referenced in any releases that you expect to still be in use by June.[/quote]

DNS seeds need not be highly available, nor on fixed IP address, so that’s not a problem. If you can keep providing service at ppcseed.ns.7server.net, it would be of great help to the community! Thanks for all the great service to the community in the past :slight_smile:

Thought I’d give running a seeder a shot. Compiled it and fiddled with some dns records…and it’s doing something but the output doesn’t look super correct :\

./dnsseed -h seed-sf.peerennial.com -n core-sf.peerennial.com Loading dnsseed.dat...done Starting 4 DNS threads for seed-sf.peerennial.com on core-sf.peerennial.com (port 53).......done Starting seeder...done Starting 96 crawler threads...done [16-01-06 21:34:51] 1/5 available (5 tried in 774s, 0 new, 0 active), 0 banned; 0 DNS requests, 4 db queries

Anyone know if there’s a way to check if it’s working?

Huh, started up dnsseed on a computer in the new york data center and it jumped to life almost immediately. I guess san francisco is just an internet back water or something :stuck_out_tongue:

./dnsseed -h seed-newyork.peerennial.com -n core-newyork.peerennial.com Starting 4 DNS threads for seed-newyork.peerennial.com on core-newyork.peerennial.com (port 53).......done Starting seeder...done Starting 96 crawler threads...done [16-01-07 10:52:34] 11/2163 available (181 tried in 66s, 935 new, 1047 active), 0 banned; 0 DNS requests, 4 db queries

[quote=“belovachap, post:11, topic:3423”]Thought I’d give running a seeder a shot. Compiled it and fiddled with some dns records…and it’s doing something but the output doesn’t look super correct :\

./dnsseed -h seed-sf.peerennial.com -n core-sf.peerennial.com Loading dnsseed.dat...done Starting 4 DNS threads for seed-sf.peerennial.com on core-sf.peerennial.com (port 53).......done Starting seeder...done Starting 96 crawler threads...done [16-01-06 21:34:51] 1/5 available (5 tried in 774s, 0 new, 0 active), 0 banned; 0 DNS requests, 4 db queries

Anyone know if there’s a way to check if it’s working?[/quote]

alright, i deleted the dat files for the san francisco node and that made it start working…i think.

any who, i’m not sure if it’s really working or properly configured or useful but these machines exist and will probably keep runing for a while thanks to cheap cloud computing:

full nodes

dns seeder thingys

have fun :slight_smile:

[quote=“belovachap, post:12, topic:3423”]Huh, started up dnsseed on a computer in the new york data center and it jumped to life almost immediately. I guess san francisco is just an internet back water or something :stuck_out_tongue:

./dnsseed -h seed-newyork.peerennial.com -n core-newyork.peerennial.com Starting 4 DNS threads for seed-newyork.peerennial.com on core-newyork.peerennial.com (port 53).......done Starting seeder...done Starting 96 crawler threads...done [16-01-07 10:52:34] 11/2163 available (181 tried in 66s, 935 new, 1047 active), 0 banned; 0 DNS requests, 4 db queries

[quote=“belovachap, post:11, topic:3423”]Thought I’d give running a seeder a shot. Compiled it and fiddled with some dns records…and it’s doing something but the output doesn’t look super correct :\

Anyone know if there’s a way to check if it’s working?[/quote][/quote]

Thank you for your efforts!
Inspired by your work I thought about setting up one too, but I might lack the skills and resources (e.g. authorative NS record in domain record, etc.).
If I understand this DNS seeding right, having two seeders would be better (in terms of redundancy), but one of them is enough to support the Peercoin network.
Is that right?

[quote=“masterOfDisaster, post:14, topic:3423”]Thank you for your efforts!
Inspired by your work I thought about setting up one too, but I might lack the skills and resources (e.g. authorative NS record in domain record, etc.).
If I understand this DNS seeding right, having two seeders would be better (in terms of redundancy), but one of them is enough to support the Peercoin network.
Is that right?[/quote]

I think you’re correct, we don’t need a ton of seeders but some redundancy can’t hurt :slight_smile:

I put up some tor hidden service nodes if folks want to talk to them :smiley:

[ul][li]r6quwaxdjfzvktxs.onion[/li]
[li]sih3c3ux45zdi73c.onion[/li]
[li]7uvp6rt2nt7yblp6.onion[/li]
[li]jxfmwqsjnejz7wur.onion[/li]
[li]nokowl5h3ujenpyt.onion[/li]
[li]7oy6ml4lq2mbwozy.onion[/li]
[li]d5int44nmjyclbib.onion[/li][/ul]

have fun