We Have a Chance to Obtain Peercoin.org, but it will Cost us

This guy is smart. I suggest we keep a good relationship with him.

Do we REALLY need those domains? Look at nissan.com, Nissan the car maker does not own it, they want it, but they still sell cars… I would skip the expense and move on…

Of course he’s watching the discussion, I should hope so; and legal action isn’t something that we should be considering. So far, he’s not a “bad guy”, because he’s not trying to extort money. This is a business dealing.

Asking for a certain price is rational, but the question, at least to me, is whether or not $15k is a purely speculative pricing or something that can be backed up with traffic numbers. So far, everything I’ve seen indicates that we’re not missing out on a huge amount of traffic by not having the domain. Trying to gauge the value of what it could be worth in the future is tricky, it’s better to measure it on it’s attributes today.

Ok so I feel it is important for clarity that this person is not the peercoin.com domain owner who was asking ridiculous money for the domain, hence the filing a trademark complaint about the domain should not be considered in this case as a dialog is open with the owner and the other domain was very different situation.

That said I do personally feel $15,000 is a lot and too much for the domain at this point in time. Do we have a website we are eager to publish there or just to point peercoin.net there?? What else would we do with $15k?? Would he accept ppc as payment? Or btc or does it have to be $??

I think the more time goes on the more important peercoin.net will become from Google searching, and unless peercoin.org keeps content fresh and relevant to peercoin the domain will become less of a ‘traffic monster’ and maybe we buy it then if we really want it.

I fail to see us adding $15,000 worth of value to ppc by acquiring the site now, $1,500 would be my top offer right now.

Fuzzybear

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

[quote=“Ben, post:24, topic:2007”]Of course he’s watching the discussion, I should hope so; and legal action isn’t something that we should be considering. So far, he’s not a “bad guy”, because he’s not trying to extort money. This is a business dealing.

Asking for a certain price is rational, but the question, at least to me, is whether or not $15k is a purely speculative pricing or something that can be backed up with traffic numbers. So far, everything I’ve seen indicates that we’re not missing out on a huge amount of traffic by not having the domain. Trying to gauge the value of what it could be worth in the future is tricky, it’s better to measure it on it’s attributes today.[/quote]

Let us know what your report says. If you feel $15,000 is asking too much for the traffic it’s getting, then I’ll alert him of this and make a counter offer. If he refuses then I guess there’s nothing we can really do.

I don’t really want to take legal action in this case, because he is trying to work with us. He also bought the domain first, so I think he should probably be able to sell it to whoever he wants at whatever price. The Peercoin.com guy is a different story though. That guy is delusional and needs to be taught a lesson.

There is one last option I could try. Like people have said, $15k is too much money for everyone here (Smaller holders). I could try making a thread on here and linking it to Facebook, Twitter and Reddit. The thread would state that we don’t want any smaller holders of Peercoin to donate money toward this, but if any large holders would like to buy it for us, that we would make the purchase once they send enough PPC. In this case we would ONLY want donations from people that have A LOT of money. I don’t want any small holders donating what little they have. What do you think of this option?

These domains are in no way necessary for peercoins whatsoever - not now, and even not in the future. The money can be better spent on a bounty (I can think of few) or a PR campaign.

I like that option, Sentinelrv.

I’m waiting to hear back on the traffic stats, and I’ll forward the info over here as soon as I get it.

I certainly don’t want the rank-and-file, with small holdings to their name to be the ones that bear the cost. Many of them contribute a large proportion of their time and effort already, but if one of the holders of a couple hundred thousand peercoin are feeling magnanimous, I’m all for it.

I don't really want to take legal action in this case
We should not even be considering this in this case. He is entitled to sell it to us or not if he so chooses.

i’m confused though… peercoin.org is what we are talking about… did the user not say he registered it back in 2010?? or am i misreading
http://www.whois.net/whois/peercoin.org
Creation Date: 04-Apr-2013 20:01:28 UTC

oh he was saying he registered before we had rebranding… ok maybe i forget the date of our rebrand.

anyway its up for renewal in april… probably why he is open to let it go for a nice sum of money. hits per day could be dropping for all we know hene y get the money now why it looks good.

You could run the facebook campaign sent to raise the money if some wealthy PPC holder thinks this is in their best interest to aquire the site. However my thoughts seem to match a large consensus on this thread that the domain is not worth that and that the domain is not needed especially at this point in time.

No benefit for us IMO. Interested just to see what stats u get back ben, but for me this case is closed. Sorry not interested at that price. You have my max value I would pay for it and i’m loosing interest in the buy more and more I think about it i’m afraid. We’d be better advertising on bitcointalk for $15,000 to get more traffic driven to the peercoin.net website. there was that thread saying where people heard about PPC from… can I ask if anyone here went to peercoin.org before they found an official peercoin site??

Fuzzybear

As a lot of people here, I think $15k could be invested in a lot of great things. Also, this guy runs a business and that’s legit, but the main thing for me is that using the money to improve the coin, it would go to people that really deserve it. As long as the good site shows up the first in Google, the other domains are not really needed, or at least not $15k needed.

For interest and reference these are the stats for the forum in the last week… they only got turned on on the 25th so its actually 6 days of stats so on weekly average they will be a little higher

Fuzzybear

I heard back from my comScore contact, and it doesn’t help much. They’re currently reporting on some of the Bitcoin sites, but nothing related to Peercoin, yet.

I’ll keep digging into other services that provide traffic metrics, but I may not be able to find anything more detailed than the Alexa rankings, at least that is publicly accessible. Any updates that I come across will be posted in this thread.

I sent some of you a PM. Please check it.

My feeling is that if we had none of . net, .com or .org - then purchasing one of the three for $15,000 might be necessary and desirable

But since we have .net, I do not see a need for collecting further peercoin domain names

Perhaps it would be nice to have .com and .org in our back pockets, and spending $1,000 a piece might be proportionate - but not $15,000

Besides, if we pay $15,000 for .org, then we ratchet up the price for .com

So long as peercoin.net is kept active, it will be constantly refreshed with internet search engines, and people seraching for “peercoin” will find it

That’s my view

My thoughts on this are as follows.

When I google search the term, peercoin, Peercoin.net is the first link. Peercoin.org and Peercoin.com are no where on the first page and so I don’t think we should be too worried about this. I would also agree that spending 15k on a domain this early in PPC’s development would be a mistake. The 15k could be spent on more important things at the moment.

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:34, topic:2007”]My feeling is that if we had none of . net, .com or .org - then purchasing one of the three for $15,000 might be necessary and desirable

But since we have .net, I do not see a need for collecting further peercoin domain names

Perhaps it would be nice to have .com and .org in our back pockets, and spending $1,000 a piece might be proportionate - but not $15,000

So long as peercoin.net is kept active, it will be constantly refreshed with internet search engines, and people seraching for “peercoin” will find it

That’s my view[/quote]

I agree with this! 100% good thinking

[quote=“jubalix, post:36, topic:2007”][quote=“RobertLloyd, post:34, topic:2007”]My feeling is that if we had none of . net, .com or .org - then purchasing one of the three for $15,000 might be necessary and desirable

That’s my view[/quote]

I agree with this! 100% good thinking[/quote]

Yeah, this makes the most sense. No reason to fork out $15,000 when Peercoin already has a website.

Agree with previous posters. We do have a good domain name and we’re ranking well on the search sites.

Maybe at best offer a few thousand dollars, take it or leave it and move on. There is probably more value in investing a few hundred dollars in some search engine advertisements with the right keywords which point to the right website.

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:29, topic:2007”]there was that thread saying where people heard about PPC from… can I ask if anyone here went to peercoin.org before they found an official peercoin site??

Fuzzybear[/quote]

I’m new on this forum and only arrived here a few weeks ago. When I decided I needed to know more about Peercoin the first thing I did was I typed “peercoin.org” into the URL address window at the top of my browser which immediatly went to some erroneous site. So, I did a Google search for the word “peercoin”. That took me to a great first page of links with Peercoin.net at the top first entry! Then a couple links down was the Peercoin on Wikipedia link. And a couple down more was Peercointalk.org! This great Forum!!! Which I had known nothing about at all.

So, I definitely recommend not buying peercoin.org because if it had not been for its false lead then I might not have done a proper search and may have never found this terrific Peercoin Forum.

A short note to the guy who owns peercoin.org and who is probably reading this: I say thank you. I might not have found this forum without your efforts. Also, I would like to return a little effort your way - I read your earlier comments posted above, I know you are intelligent, legally versed and all that. I’m an older guy (how did that happen?) and I have been through a lot of different situations in life - including Intellectual Property issues, rights and fights - and here is what I have found: I think you will be more successful and happier if you try to add value to others than if you try to extract it. That said, take it or leave it - we all have to find our own way.

Also, def thanks to Sentinelrv for all his concern and efforts in this matter.

I think you will be more successful and happier if you try to add value to others than if you try to extract it.

Excellent advice, in crypto, and in life.

I third that

And thanks also to Sentinelrv for bringing this matter to the Forum