Want to do a sponsored story on Peercoin in yBitcoin Magazine, who do I talk to?

Hi David Bailey here, owner of yBitcoin Magazine (yBitcoin.net). Didn’t have a relationship with anyone from the PeerCoin group but I wanted to reach out about a new section we’re publishing in the magazine about alternative crypto-currencies that we think actually have an interesting backend and story (such as Peercoin). Who is someone I can connect with about specifics? These are sponsored editorials as the magazine is completely free for people to receive (distributed globally but primarily in North America), but our writers conduct the interviews etc… Basically the premise behind yBitcoin is editorial content that your parents can read and understand, we want to extend that to a couple of the most exciting cryptos.

I recommend you send a PM message to Sentinelrv he’s usually on top of these things.

Me, myself, I’m just a forum participant. If you want to post your questions publicly, any of us can answer them, with links to where we got our answers as proof if you like…

Sunny King, the creator of Peercoin has made numerous public statements that you can officially quote. Ask your interview questions and the community can answer them.

One thing I noticed, is that it is a sponsored story, which basically means we pay for the privilege of being interviewed, correct?

If you have any questions, you can ask them to us in this thread. If it’s private for some reason, you can PM me if you want. Are you looking to do an interview with Sunny King, the developer?

Sentinelrv:

Be sure to discover the $$ amount he wants. Is it for the interview to be published, or are we assumed to buy a large display ad, and get the interview included free?

It appears by their website, they have 30,000 printed issues each quarter, 20,000 of those are direct mailed out, I’m assuming to people principally in the USA?

Their current digital version of the issue is here:

http://ybitcoin.net/issue/

What’s strange about this, is they want $21.50 per issue to Canada or $26.00 per issue globally if I am reading this right. They will bundle multiple copies for a lump sum.

I really don’t understand this business model. Most magazines have a yearly subscription fee, which includes shipping.

This appears to be a quarterly magazine, where you buy each issue and re-submit a shipping fee each time.

So when they say they have 20,000 direct mailed copies. That is true, but it also for giveaways I assume, or where a large corporation buys 10 copies and distributes them internally, that idea.

Hi everyone! Couple clarifications: We are now printing 35k magazines, distributed globally- we have an additional 50k online readers per issue. The magazine is completely free, I out of pocketed the first issue, but now it is 100% supported by advertisers. Originally we paid all shipping costs too, but now we only pay domestic shipping- if you order magazines overseas we ask you pay exactly what our shipping cost are (its super expensive to ship overseas!) We operate the business at break-even, putting any profits back into increasing our print count and distribution… we’re designed as a tool to educate people on cryptocurrencies in laymans terms. The reason why you haven’t seen this business model before, is because generally your incentive as a business owner is to maximize profit instead of maximizing adoption. There is a lot of information to share here, so generally I try to do this over a phone call. For sake of transparency, sponsored profiles cost $2,500 and are in publication for 3 months. A writer of ours coordinates an interview with someone from the team and then goes back and forth until the article reflects the vision of the project being profiled.

We have an extensive distribution system, and primarily deliver magazines to high net-worth locations like Lambo/Porsche dealers, yacht clubs, country clubs, golf courses, doctors offices, Bitcoin Centers, Aspen Ski resorts, Napa Valley vineyards, tech incubators, etc…

Will PM you Sentinelrv, if possible I’d like to set up a call.

Cheers and let me know if you have any questions!

Since our funds are community raised, we needed to know all of that prior to creating a fundraiser. Thanks for the clarification and candid explanation.

Peercoin would love to have a sponsored profile in that type of publication.

The question is cost and our ability to raise funds. The good news is that we’re just about to conduct an interview with our creator Sunny King that would be ideal for this publication.

What are your next deadline dates, so we can organize ourselves accordingly?

Guys, I want you to understand something before we continue any further. I don’t want to be the public relations guy here. I understand it’s not hard for anyone to find out who I really am. I’m just not comfortable with phone calls or video chats. I’ll answer PM’s and reply to emails, but I don’t really want to go further than that. The type of things I do around here are what I’m comfortable with. If you want somebody to answer phone calls and make decisions on behalf of the community, we’ll need to get a PR person for that. Do you guys understand?

Sorry, I should have clarified.

Sentinelrv is good at directing people who to talk to, or presenting something to Sunny for comment, etc. He outranks me on the forum seniority wise. :slight_smile:

He’s not our PR guy, and wishes to remain private, as do I.

So David, as you can tell we haven’t replaced our previous PR guy yet, so we don’t really have anyone for you to talk to. We pretty much do everything here on the forum in plain view of the public for transparency reasons and we try to make group decisions, so everybody gets their say. Sunny King is also an anonymous developer similar to Satoshi Nakamoto and won’t do phone calls or video chats. He is comfortable with written text though, whether it’s email or some type of chat. Sorry if it’s tedious, but can you let us know here in this thread what you wanted to talk to me about on the phone? I’m sorry to have to ask this of you.

I’m happy to answer any questions for your magazine article this time, I have a lot on my plate so I can not always guarantee I will be available for interviews etc but I am happy to help when I can

Fuzzybear

Hi! Sorry for the delay, we’re swamped at the office!

Few answers: Deadline is May 10th, but that time range can be pushed back just a bit. Hard deadline is May 20th. We’re more than happy to submit a written list of questions, get answers from Sunny, and have our writer post his piece here after he’s done for community feedback and revision before it goes to press. We’re very laid back here at the office so I don’t want anyone worried about talking with us! We would prefer to accredit the story to the Peercoin Community than any one individual… our focus for this story would be what is Peercoin, how does it work, and why does it matter/how is it unique?

Before I could designate part of our team to start working on this, I would need to confirm the community is willing to fund this. Normally we would send over an advertiser agreement but this arrangement is a bit unique ;). Of course you would own the content, and would 100% be able to use it in part or in its entirety at your discretion. I wish we could offer this service to your community free of charge, as we’re truly only in this to see cryptos proliferate world-wide, but we have a lot of costs to cover and any nickel in excess goes straight back into expanding the magazine’s reach (its really more a guide than a magazine).

All the best and let me know the best course of action,

/db

I would need to confirm the community is willing to fund this [$2,500]

At current prices, that’s 1,000 Peercoin.

Since we’ve just fundraised our video, I think it may be difficult to raise this amount right now.

One possible solution is to get Peershares on board. They are ready for some publicity soon. By the time this goes to print they may want the exposure. This way we’re doing two things at the same time, promoting primarily Peershares and mentioning Peercoin as the way get working.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this is probably the way to go, and what our community should want.

@David comment?

Anyone else would like to comment?

Flipping through this magazine, it’s professionally done, and it is our target audience. http://www.ybitcoin.net/issue

Sorry thought I had mentioned that above! $2,500 for a profile which is ~600 words. Interview/artwork/revisions/etc are all included in that price. Wish there was a way I could upload our media kit for everyone’s review- more than happy to email it to anyone. This profile would be going in our new “Innovation” section… which as of now is confirmed to be Litecoin, Ethereum, Bitshares… we’re still waiting to hear back from Ripple… don’t know if Mastercoin will be joining but they may.

/db

To be honest, that actually isn’t a selling point in my individual opinion. That’s like saying “Hey! You can have a tiny classified ad among other competitors who also have tiny classified ads next to yours. You will all get a chance to stand out at the same time.”

[I know is 600 words, photos, etc, I’m using the classified ad to under-exaggerate the situation to help illustrate my point]

It would have been better to have been a featured editorial then another page or two in the innovation “section”.

Any publicity is good though. It’s just annoying we’re going to be sandwiched in with all these other innovations. We lose the importance and appeal that way. :frowning:

[quote=“ppcman, post:12, topic:2266”]

I would need to confirm the community is willing to fund this [$2,500]

At current prices, that’s 1,000 Peercoin.

Since we’ve just fundraised our video, I think it may be difficult to raise this amount right now.

One possible solution is to get Peershares on board. They are ready for some publicity soon. By the time this goes to print they may want the exposure. This way we’re doing two things at the same time, promoting primarily Peershares and mentioning Peercoin as the way get working.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this is probably the way to go, and what our community should want.

@David comment?

Anyone else would like to comment?

Flipping through this magazine, it’s professionally done, and it is our target audience. http://www.ybitcoin.net/issue[/quote]

I would have to agree with ppcman here. We just got done doing a fundraiser for a marketing video. I’m not sure if 600 words is enough to excite people to donate another 1,000 PPC. The money would probably be better spent on something like a competition to create themes for Peerunity, something that’s needed right now.

Also agree with ppcman. We have more pressing items to fix which require funding.

However, I suggest that David is free to contact us in 3 months time for the next issue. Focus might be more spreading the word than on building the infra later this year. Especially when Peercoin quadrupled in value by then because of the Peershares launch 8)

Completely understand! Keep us in mind and know that we want to work with you!

Just for consideration: The litecoin article is being sponsored by another advertiser (without the article directly mentioning them) so if there is a peercoin company or exchange interested in sponsoring this, we’d be open to giving them advertising space elsewhere in the magazine (or across from the article) if they were open. We really have amazing distribution so I think this could be a great win-win.

All the best and can’t wait to see Peercoin break all time highs!

/db

I recommend waiting to see how the upcoming video turns out. If the community is happy with Overkillcoin’s production, I’d think we’d want to raise funds for another one that explains Peershares. It would be a natural follow-on from the concluding moments of the Peercoin video.