Wallet response

I thought to start a new topic, as this might be part of ¨Testing¨…

History: I have installed the new Peerbox Rasperian, on new RasbPi2, loaded a saved wallet, have a correct amount and transactions (of the past).

I added the enable for auto start, however, after shutting down and rebooting, it is not restarting automatically. So, I used the sudo…pi.service command. Then, after trying to unlock my wallet (walletpassphrase xxxxxxx 9999999 true) I have run into this-

The text at the bottom of the wallet states - Info: Minting suspended due to locked wallet and the lock icon is Locked. However, another attempt at debug produced error - Error: Wallet is already unlocked, use walletlock first if need to change unlock settings. (code -17). So, I sent 2 amounts of ppc from this wallet (x) to a new empty wallet (y). It asked me for the passphrase to send and appears to send the correct amount. The lock icon changed from Lock to Unlock but text remained the same.

12 mins later - Sending wallet (x) => Transactions for said amounts have no icons and state - Offline 0 confirmations. On the Receiving wallet (y) => Transactions for said amounts have dials and 2 confirmations

22 mins later there is some sort of refresh on sending wallet (x), as I see a flash from the screen typing this post, and behold - the Info: Minting suspending… text is gone and now the send transactions (x ->y) have dials showing unconfirmed 3 of 6 confirmations.

On the receiving wallet (y) the total received shown on the Overview- Wallet is correct. However, the amounts on Overview - Recent Transactions and Transactions (tab) - Amount are incorrect (each transaction amount is over that sent, together totaling over 1.459078 ppc). By further digging, I see the details in received amounts in the Transactions - Details (double click), are correct amounts.

Let me know, what you think…

Thank you.

[quote=“SamH, post:1, topic:3802”]I added the enable for auto start, however, after shutting down and rebooting, it is not restarting automatically. So, I used the sudo…pi.service command. Then, after trying to unlock my wallet (walletpassphrase xxxxxxx 9999999 true) I have run into this-

The text at the bottom of the wallet states - Info: Minting suspended due to locked wallet and the lock icon is Locked. However, another attempt at debug produced error - Error: Wallet is already unlocked, use walletlock first if need to change unlock settings. (code -17). So, I sent 2 amounts of ppc from this wallet (x) to a new empty wallet (y). It asked me for the passphrase to send and appears to send the correct amount. The lock icon changed from Lock to Unlock but text remained the same.

12 mins later - Sending wallet (x) => Transactions for said amounts have no icons and state - Offline 0 confirmations. On the Receiving wallet (y) => Transactions for said amounts have dials and 2 confirmations

22 mins later there is some sort of refresh on sending wallet (x), as I see a flash from the screen typing this post, and behold - the Info: Minting suspending… text is gone and now the send transactions (x ->y) have dials showing unconfirmed 3 of 6 confirmations.

On the receiving wallet (y) the total received shown on the Overview- Wallet is correct. However, the amounts on Overview - Recent Transactions and Transactions (tab) - Amount are incorrect (each transaction amount is over that sent, together totaling over 1.459078 ppc). By further digging, I see the details in received amounts in the Transactions - Details (double click), are correct amounts.

Let me know, what you think…

Thank you.[/quote]

i think when you unlock the wallet for minting only, you still have to enter the passphrase when sending coins.
also the blockspacing is 10 minutes, with variance it could take longer sometimes for a block to happen, 22 minutes still sounds normal, this is what the client was waiting for probably, that is when the transaction gets confirmed (when it enters a block)

i think when you unlock the wallet for minting only, you still have to enter the passphrase when sending coins.

Yeah - I was expecting to still have to enter the passphrase, but the coordination between lock icon, text and actual lock/locked status did not happen in “real” time or as an accurate occurrence.

also the blockspacing is 10 minutes, with variance it could take longer sometimes for a block to happen, 22 minutes still sounds normal, this is what the client was waiting for probably, that is when the transaction gets confirmed (when it enters a block)

In the past, I’ve seen a “?” indicating that it is waiting on the first confirmation, with something like 0/6 confirmations, but I have never seen “blank” where after 22 mins it states “Offline 0 confirmations”, so I think the wallet is not connecting or refreshing to clear/update the status. Even though it had an Internet connection with a green check mark and 8 connections.

Another run…

Trying with only the new wallet (new Rpi2 and new Peerbox), I sent 10 ppc from my ppc exchange account.
Upon 2 confirmations, my wallet updated with the incoming transaction (elapsed time 14 mins). On the ¨Overview¨ wallet Balance = 10.00 ppc, Unconfirmed = 0.00 ppc, Recent Transactions = 0.01 . On Transaction tab, amount = 0.01, No Addresses for the transaction - addresses & labels are listed in Receive coins tab, but trying to add the address to the address book returns - already in address book.

Hope this helps…

[quote=“SamH, post:4, topic:3802”]Another run…

Trying with only the new wallet (new Rpi2 and new Peerbox), I sent 10 ppc from my ppc exchange account.
Upon 2 confirmations, my wallet updated with the incoming transaction (elapsed time 14 mins). On the ¨Overview¨ wallet Balance = 10.00 ppc, Unconfirmed = 0.00 ppc, Recent Transactions = 0.01 . On Transaction tab, amount = 0.01, No Addresses for the transaction - addresses & labels are listed in Receive coins tab, but trying to add the address to the address book returns - already in address book.

Hope this helps…[/quote]

i dont understand completely, you are trying to add your own address, it says it is already in your address book, i dont think anything is wrong, only thing maybe: there is no address for the 0.01 transaction fee, it is destroyed, it seems acting normal

[quote=“SamH, post:4, topic:3802”]Another run…

Hope this helps…[/quote]

You are just reporting that wallet works as expected?

I am sorry… I must not be explaining correctly or understanding what is happening…

I don’t understand why : Recent transactions - Received - shows +0.01 when 10.00 ppc was what I sent?
This is the same for Transactions tab - Amount - 0.01 which also has no address label showing.

This repeats my previous sending of 5 ppc and 10 ppc, which showed 8.987447 and 7.471631, which is not the amounts and not the sum of those amounts.

I checked my Settings - Options - Display : PPC , and checked Display addresses in transaction list.

[quote=“SamH, post:7, topic:3802”]

I am sorry… I must not be explaining correctly or understanding what is happening…

I don’t understand why : Recent transactions - Received - shows +0.01 when 10.00 ppc was what I sent?
This is the same for Transactions tab - Amount - 0.01 which also has no address label showing.

This repeats my previous sending of 5 ppc and 10 ppc, which showed 8.987447 and 7.471631, which is not the amounts and not the sum of those amounts.

I checked my Settings - Options - Display : PPC , and checked Display addresses in transaction list.[/quote]

All of this sounds impossible. Can you make a screenshot of wallet and of exchange (with txid’s visible)?

All of this sounds impossible. Can you make a screenshot of wallet and of exchange (with txid's visible)?

Absolutely… and what is the best way of doing this? Is there a program in/for raspbian? Would a camera pix of screen be clear enough?

i sometimes make screenshots with my smartphone

OK… so I took a photo with my phone and uploaded to imgur - https://imgur.com/BN5Esbu
I have the other 2 transactions, if needed.

On the top two : Sent to was a test & payment to yourself… well, that was a blunder the wallet caught.

From my tests though, I am sending to either wallet alright - it´s the transaction part of BOTH wallets upon receiving from that seem to have issues.

If you look at this transaction:

http://ppc.blockr.io/tx/info/2bba239e49d8ea5789e4182094f5fe84b016a7de6e4b6d525a59ff70045a46dd

You’ll see that the 5 ppc came from a previous transaction on 2015-04-03 for address PN6A3k7i5oxRNSFDXSKUxnhvuHwaprDSmk and that original transaction had 12.481631 sent to it.

Some math:

12.481631 (2015-04-03)
-0.01 network fee

So that’s where that weird amount came from. It came in the form of “change”. :slight_smile:

From Weekly Update #152 by Sunny King:

[quote=“Sunny King, post:1, topic:3584”][ul][li]Some of our users are still having trouble understanding the way wallet works: Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!. I would say this is not the user’s fault, as I always thought the way the ‘change address’ works in bitcoin wallet is very inconvenient, especially with a brain wallet. Bitcoin introduced this mechanism to obfuscate the sending graph on blockchain, so it’s a purely privacy feature. However it’s more natural for users to associate balance toward fixed addresses. That’s also why a feature was added to peercoin that I call ‘avatar mode’, where it disables the privacy feature and returns the change back to the sending address. Though it’s still a development feature with peercoin. The latest peerunity release should support this mode.[/li][/ul]

Have fun![/quote]

So that's where that weird amount came from. It came in the form of "change". :)

First, I’d really like to thank you for explaining and pointing out the blockchain math. I appreciate it!

So, this must be an error in the display of the wallet? I have never had a cryptocoin wallet tell me the difference of a privacy transaction as my received amount. And I know, this was not the way the original wallet I used with Peerbox/Peerunity used to worked. Or am I not understanding, how it works between PeerBox, PeerUnity or PeerCoin-QT? :-/

I am just concerned, as the amount I sent from wallet-x to wallet-y (4.99 as seen in my imgur snapshot), was received by wallet-y with NO transaction data recorded at all. Just the Overview shows an increase in the amount.

I would recommend re-downloading all blocks in each wallet again, a total resync, one wallet first, then the other wallet afterwards.

Be careful not to sync each one from the same IP at the same time. I’ve seen stuff in the code that says “x.x.x.x is misbehaving” which means if network requests coming from your IP look weird, you might have trouble syncing properly which could cause some delays. (ie: you keep asking for the same block data, at the same time. It could look like you’re spamming the network with block requests).

You mentioned the something happened at 12 minutes, and something else at 22 minutes (peercoin blocks are 10 minutes apart, that’s enough time for 2 blocks. Not very much)

I don’t ever think in term of minutes when it comes to Crypto. Of course, when things happen well, they can happen fast. When chains fork or undergo stress, or blocks fill up, it can take longer.

Each wallet should stay online for a couple of hours to fully ensure they are synced well with the chain.

Does wallet (x) and wallet (y) have the same private key? Were you running both wallets at the same time (I recomend against that)

Anyway, here’s where someone else can step in and give some ideas. I gave some food for thought thus far. :slight_smile:

Each wallet should stay online for a couple of hours to fully ensure they are synced well with the chain. Does wallet (x) and wallet (y) have the same private key? Were you running both wallets at the same time (I recommend against that) Anyway, here's where someone else can step in and give some ideas. I gave some food for thought thus far. :)

Yes great food for sure! Ok, I’ll try anything at least once… :stuck_out_tongue:
I know that the block chain was not downloaded at the same time, as I only had one plug to run one RaspbPi at a time. However, after reading your notes (and others) regarding waiting (a few hours/days/a week) for a download/sync with the wallet and blockchain, I’ll try it with more time with each one and between the two.

So what I need to do - if I understand this correctly is: go to the .ppcoin directory, delete all files except wallet.dat and start the wallet to redownload the blockchain?

Also, I’m not sure about the private key… I know there is a public and private key but where and how is beyond me. I downloaded peerbox once, loaded it on two SD cards and started the wallets at separate times - only one RaspbPi has my old wallet data, so I would think the private keys would separate?

Thank you for the help!

I’m not much for running gui peercoin wallets, and I’ve never even downloaded peerunity before. That means I prefer to run a headless peercoind in unix.

But at the command line, there is a -resync flag you can set when you start the ppcoind daemon that will tell it to resync the chain. In Windows it might be a little tricky to add command line parameters, but it can be done.

Understand what’s in your wallet.dat:

a) your public addresses that have been already generated
b) you private keys to those public addresses
c) transactions that pertain to your addresses

This is explained https://wiki.peercointalk.org/index.php?title=Data_directory#Directory_Contents

Everything else it grabs from the blocks it has seen. So when you take an existing wallet, and only expose it to the peercoin block chain for a short time, it can confuse the wallet on its current balance until it is fully synchronized until the current block.

To find out what block you have, is to go to a block explorer and see it say something like last block 226462 - 2 mins ago

Now go into your client, under debug I think, and there you can run rpc commands. Try “getinfo” and it will show you the last block your client has received.

I’ve not been using a lot of this stuff for the last 8 months, and I’m pressed for time. But this should give you an idea how to find out how well your wallet is synced.

…and remember what i said. The wallet.dat just holds public and private keys, and recent transactions. In order to get a proper display in a wallet, it needs to be properly synced to the full chain.

At one point there was a few chain forks (that were orphaned) so it can time to get to the current block, on the right chain, with the right checkpoints.

This is why leaving your wallet online (and locked unless your minting, and then only unlock it for minting purposes) can be a good idea. It means you’ll always be current, especially if you plan to move some funds in and out of your wallets. It uses minimal cpu, memory, and network resources, and it helps secure the peercoin network too by allowing your client to stay online and help verify new blocks and transactions.