Wake up call (or: why DOGE's recent success can be good for us)

Fellow peers,

First I’d like to say that I believe the people in this community is of the highest quality there is - Intelligent, respectful and mature - which is a rare combination in most crypto communities out there - and I mean it sincerely, with all my heart.

In the last couple of weeks we have all felt that things are a bit stagnanting, or at the least are not moving in the ‘right’ direction - after some long and hard discussions with some of the community members, I believe weve identified some of the reasons causing that:

1. Lack of leadership - I believe Sunny’s failure to communicate to us is fatal because with his lack of presence yet his (well deserved) status is shadowing all other members, and discouraging anyone else to take the iniative and to actually start leading or initiating. I believe the lack of any structure whatsoever or hierarchy is also fatal.

2. The community is divided - The peercoin community is not big at all, which is a huge suprise for everybody on the ‘outside’, because not only we are the third largest CC, but also one of the most innovative ones. Whats making it worse is that we communicate mostly here between ourselves, closed to the eyes of strangers who could have join us. I believe a quick solution to this problem is to start posting MUCH more at our subreddit, and less over here - each and every one of you can make a rule with himself - that every theard he posts here he must also post on our subreddit, to get things going and some activity.

I believe we can turn things around in the ‘lack of iniative’ department by making bounties, because apperantly nothing is being pushed without it over here. The bounties will be funded by our community members. It should be organized by one of the well known members here (I dont want to throw any names, but you know who you are) and the funds should go to him.

To get things rolling, we should start with small things - a good target right now is to get huobi’s CEO to implement PPC - he has already confessed to implementing LTC, so it can be much easier than we think - but we have to be proffesional about it - How, you ask? an easy to understand(he is not a programmer, but a business man), powerpoint presentation with all the numbers and surface facts about peercoin and volume about data, recent prices etc - It will be useful for us in the long term too, to pitch other exchanges.

I am willing to offer 5PPC to anyone who can make a proffesional one, with all the data that we decide should be there.

Also: a big shoutout to Peershare’s developers, which right now appears to be the only thing we’ve got going for us. Keep up the good work people.

There are alot of things I probably forgot, so I would like to hear your opinions/suggestions - feel free to post them over here.

I’m not sure if you’re talking about me or Fuzzy organizing the bounties, but I’d rather it be Fuzzy. I’ve actually never even used the Peercoin client before. I bought my coins on an exchange and transferred them straight to paper wallets. Because of my lack of understanding in this area, I wouldn’t feel comfortable holding other people’s money. Fuzzy though already has a donation link on the forum and knows what he’s doing…

http://donate.peercointalk.org/

I agree about the leadership. I try to do what I can, but that was JustaBitofTime’s specialty. I like the idea about posting your threads both on the forum and the subreddit. I already do that a lot.

Another thing is that we need to start making use of our volunpeers again. I’ve been trying to get in touch with JBT about it. I’m just waiting on a reply. I think what we need to do is a huge recruitment drive. We can spread it here on the forum, Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc… We need to get as many people as possible to become a volunpeer and then do those swarms again.

For those who don’t already know, a swarm is where we send out an email or PM to all the volunpeers requesting them to take some kind of action, email a company or exchange, post in the comments of an important article, etc…

We already talked about using this approach to get Huobi to add Peercoin. We have three volunteers that would translate our emails into Chinese before sending them. One of the problems with JBT’s swarms was that a small percentage of the volunpeers that had signed up were participating in them. I think a good idea to get more people to follow through would be to collect a swarm bounty and then tip people once we can confirm they carried out their task.

The volunpeer drive wouldn’t just be for swarms though. When people fill out the survey, we find out what their talents are and what they’re interested in doing. Somebody should be in charge of contacting new volunpeers, welcoming them into the community, giving them the necessary information to understand Peercoin and then getting them involved in some kind of project on the forum. If they’re into web development, direct them to peercoin.net’s github page. If they’re into video animation, direct them to tripper’s thread about creating a Peercoin video. We just need to get these people involved.

Thank you for your reply, sentinel - but are you sure that spamming the huobi’s CEO email is the right approach? I think a powerpoint/email presentation is the proffesional way to do it, yet I could be wrong.

A powerpoint presentation sent by an email, I meant.

If we’re sending it to his personal email then no. If we’re sending emails to the exchange itself, then we need to show up in numbers I think. These places get lots of emails everyday and usually we’ll get the standard default reply. So in order for us to make an impact, they need to see some significant support before they’ll consider it. This is how we got the PPC/USD pair up on btc-e. We made ourselves heard. On the other hand, if we can talk to him in person then we should just give him a presentation like you suggested.

we need good dev’s sunny is brilliant but we need more. Now mikaelh doing the HP XPM, may be of help

Sunny stated getting a dev tam together for PeerCoin was a priority.

Can we have a shout out to who are devs in this community to form up into a team
(with bounties to then of course)

Fortutnately we do not compete with Doge, LTC or BTC. In fact no one really competes in the PeerCoin space at the moment. No one is out for the high store of value except PeerCoin.

Is Sunny still doing his weekly?

Maybe Sunny doesn’t want to be, even want be seen as, the leader of the Peercoin community – for the same reason he didn’t want a foundation, which can be a vulnerability to attackers/tyranny.
A less structured community is less efficient to execute any task but is more robust and more likely to bring about organic growth. I think the best thing is a balance between efficiency and organicity (is that a word?)

[quote=“jubalix, post:7, topic:1970”]we need good dev’s sunny is brilliant but we need more. Now mikaelh doing the HP XPM, may be of help

Sunny stated getting a dev tam together for PeerCoin was a priority.

Can we have a shout out to who are devs in this community to form up into a team
(with bounties to then of course)

Fortutnately we do not compete with Doge, LTC or BTC. In fact no one really competes in the PeerCoin space at the moment. No one is out for the high store of value except PeerCoin.

Is Sunny still doing his weekly?[/quote]

Read this…

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2266.0

The developers of Peershares will be contributing to Peercoin development in the future. Fuzzy is one of the developers right now. And yes, he still does his weekly updates.

LTC is experiencing a huge bump after it was added to BTCChina. We should not underestimate the Chinese market! What is the status of Huobi, did our messages go out to the owners?

[quote=“Sentinelrv, post:3, topic:1970”]Another thing is that we need to start making use of our volunpeers again. I’ve been trying to get in touch with JBT about it. I’m just waiting on a reply. I think what we need to do is a huge recruitment drive. We can spread it here on the forum, Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc… We need to get as many people as possible to become a volunpeer and then do those swarms again.

For those who don’t already know, a swarm is where we send out an email or PM to all the volunpeers requesting them to take some kind of action, email a company or exchange, post in the comments of an important article, etc…

We already talked about using this approach to get Huobi to add Peercoin. We have three volunteers that would translate our emails into Chinese before sending them. One of the problems with JBT’s swarms was that a small percentage of the volunpeers that had signed up were participating in them. I think a good idea to get more people to follow through would be to collect a swarm bounty and then tip people once we can confirm they carried out their task.

The volunpeer drive wouldn’t just be for swarms though. When people fill out the survey, we find out what their talents are and what they’re interested in doing. Somebody should be in charge of contacting new volunpeers, welcoming them into the community, giving them the necessary information to understand Peercoin and then getting them involved in some kind of project on the forum. If they’re into web development, direct them to peercoin.net’s github page. If they’re into video animation, direct them to tripper’s thread about creating a Peercoin video. We just need to get these people involved.[/quote]

Really like the swarms idea. Feels like a lot of the community are looking for direction and ways they can help. Could you post a sticky with instructions for small ways to contribute? I haven’t yet signed up as a volunteer as I don’t want to let anyone down due to lack of time. If there was a swarm list, e-mail Huobi, e-mail kraken etc, I would definitely work my way through it when I have spare time.