V0.6 Soft Fork Watcher Thread - Over 90%!

Finally just upgraded my wallet and am minting. Look for a jump in that number. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Almost 61% now. 28% left to go!

3 Likes

I’ve updated and moved my wallet over to the new client. Although I’m sure that my contribution is very small indeed.

2 Likes

The soft fork watcher is offline until further notice.

The server was still running 0.5.4 for software compatibility reasons.
I was under the impression it would be compatible until the next hard fork.

A checkpoint related event last night around 21:00 UTC basically killed all nodes prior to v0.6, preventing them from working.

Half our block explorers and the android apps are faulty right now.

Hoping to read an announcement on that issue soon.

1 Like

I was hoping that the v0.5 nodes would still be OK and that there was no urgency to upgrade. It appears that the Android wallet is stuck on 337836. I’m super busy but I will look into resolving this problem soon, including getting the abe explorer to work again.

2 Likes

@hrobeers @peerchemist @Sunny_King @sigmike Are you guys aware of this issue that have killed all nodes prior to v0.6?

1 Like

Anyone that have a dump of the debug.log?

I made an issue for this here: https://github.com/peercoin/peercoin/issues/271

can you just feed your node the rpc code:
enforcecheckpoints false

That’s not implemented in 0.5.4 as far as I know.
I tried anyhow. Method not found.

Ok, we head from sunny. He issued an alert that was a little high. He canceled and sent a lower priority alert. Everything should be good now.

3 Likes

My server is back online again.

@MatthewLM you might need to restart your abe servers.

2 Likes

Hope there is a technical summary shared with the community. The checkpoints are still “training wheels” that has caused hiccups in the past and also is an attack point by competing technologies, despite the introduction of optional checkpoints in v06.

Checkpoints were a necessity in the early days when network was open to attack by Bitcoin miners, to allow for defense against maleficent actors.

Ever since they were only used to help hardfork a network or warn about imminent upgrade. Starting from v0.6 we have adopted a consensus driver approach to forks (thresholds and all that fuzz).

What happened today was merely mis-configured checkpoint message which resulted in 0.5 nodes thinking that it’s time to roll over and seek cover in face of imminent danger. That is, message priority level was issued as critical.
Now, it’s simply reduced to notification level and all is fine.

5 Likes

Over 90%, mission accomplished!

4 Likes

Congratulations everyone, this fork was soft. let’s watch these orphans go!

3 Likes

Congratulation

2 Likes

:tada:

This is great news. Shows that those who are minting are following the news about Peercoin at least occasionally. Worst case would have been some guy with 100.000+ coins minting continuously, but not following the news. Then it would have been hard to reach 90%.

V0.6 is now active. Glad to have done my part by minting 37 V0.6 blocks. With peercoin power is still in the hands of stakeholders which is more than what can be said about many coins nowadays…

4 Likes