V0.6.0 tagged, Builds Coming Soon

Yesterday we tagged the new v0.6.0 release on Github:

This release uses the leveldb database ported from bitcoin and therefore requires a full blockchain redownload.
At the time of writing, the team is working on the packages for windows, linux and OSX. More elaborate upgrade instructions will be released together with the packages.
Early adopters can already start running the v0.6.0 source code on mainnet.

This version includes a protocol soft fork that activates when 90% of the PoS blocks signal the fork.
After the soft fork activated, v0.5 nodes will still follow the chain (will not fork off) but won’t be able to produce valid blocks anymore.
The fork is prevented to activate before Tue 12 Dec 03:40:00 UTC 2017, which should provide enough time for mining pools and exchanges to update without risking to be in the last 10% group.

v0.6 allows to opt-out of checkpoints, the protocol is ready to function without them. However the code is still in the client as a ultimate lifeboat in turbulent times.

Changelog:
- Rebase to bitcoin v0.8 codebase (leveldb backend)
- 90% supermajority softfork including:
    - BIP34: block height in coinbase
    - OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY
- Port of peerunity features into reference client

Stay tuned for more updates.

17 Likes

OSX build can be found on github/releases, it will be linked to website later today.

Linux and Windows builds will follow later today.

ArchLinux AUR package peercoin-qt is uploaded to AUR.

4 Likes

where is the executable in version 0.6?
always downloaded tar.gz and used peercoin-qt executable
but in this new version I do not know where it is
I try to run it on linux

There is not a linux build quite yet. You can probably build it from the github directly: https://github.com/peercoin/peercoin. See if “peercoin/doc/readme-qt.rst” has build instructions for you.

I’d rather wait
never compile the wallet
just he created a launcher to peercoin-qt and it executed
on page https://peercoin.net/download, it already comes out as v0.6.0ppc.tar.gz, when it is supposed to list the version for linux
in aur already appears the version 0.6, but it does not give me confidence to install wallets from there

Hmm… no one wants to install something they don’t trust :slightly_frowning_face: What would give you more confidence? :thinking:

Oh, ha, I just downloaded the file for the linux client and I understand the problem now :stuck_out_tongue:

~/Downloads/peercoin-0.6.0ppc $ ls
bitcoin-qt.pro contrib COPYING db doc INSTALL README.md share src

It’s just the source code! Suppose the binaries will come along at some point :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey guys. Sorry about the confusion. We are currently waiting on Sunny King to produce gitian builds for Windows and Linux. We’re not sure when he will have the time to do this, but hopefully it will be soon. Consider this early access for those who know how to compile the source code. As soon as we have the builds though, we’ll let everyone know so they can download and install.

2 Likes

I made the AUR package, it’s official build.

1 Like

I’m excited for V0.6.0 and look forward to running it although as I attempt to do so I find myself a bit lost.

The OS I use is Fedora, so I’ve downloaded v0.6.0ppc.tar.gz for Linux, unpacked it and have tried to run bin/64/ppcoin-qt in terminal but it says ‘no such file or directory’, I look for it manually in the folders as I would have with Peerunity but can’t find one.

Is this what the previous posts are referring to as the binaries and builds that are soon to come?

I use PeerUnity wallet. Is there anything I need to do with respect to the update? Thanks.

1 Like

We will post instructions here in this thread when everything is ready. It will explain how to do both fresh installs and upgrading from a previous version.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Yes, the v0.6.0ppc.tar.gz is only the source code, not “ready to run”. You would have to compile the code to binaries on your system, but normally only software developers and sysadmins are used to that.

The peercoin developers are currently preparing binaries (ready to run) on the various systems.

2 Likes

You can build it like this on Ubuntu, Linux Mint and other Debian based versions of Linux:

sudo apt-get -y install build-essential libqt4-dev qt5-qmake cmake qttools5-dev libqt5webkit5-dev qttools5-dev-tools qt5-default python-sphinx texlive-latex-base inotify-tools libboost-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-thread-dev openssl libssl-dev libdb++-dev libminiupnpc-dev git sqlite3 libsqlite3-dev g++ libpng-dev

sudo apt-get -y update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade

mkdir -p ~/.peercoin

echo "rpcuser=username" >>~/.peercoin/peercoin.conf

echo "rpcpassword=head -c 32 /dev/urandom | base64" >>~/.peercoin/peercoin.conf

git clone https://github.com/peercoin/peercoin

cd peercoin

git checkout v0.6.1ppc

qmake -qt=qt5 && make

3 Likes

it works on ubuntu 16.04
how to build peercoind?
在ubuntu 16.04上编译成功。。
不过托盘图标菜单文字不见了,也不能够点击菜单。

1 Like

@liuasudyfasjdhf liuasudyfasjdhf

cd src
make -f makefile.unix -j4

1 Like

We will be making official announcements tomorrow, just so you all know. Keep an eye out for my post.

2 Likes

Come on Sentinelrv… suspense is killing me :slight_smile: