[Updated] Guide To Cloud Mining Primecoin - Also get free XPM!

People have still been able to mine, you just can’t steal too much of the CPU.

bump.

bump.

bump.

I’ve been happily mining Primecoin and another alt-coin for about 3 months on Digital Ocean. Yesterday I was “apprehended” by DO Support who stated “Oh no!, there was an issue with your account” then they asked for my “papers”, name, phone #, what I am doing with my droplets, and oddly, my twitter handle, facebook profile, website or blog. My account was locked and I could only access the support page, I provided some of the information and stated that I was mining, is that a problem? Many hours later I received an answer that I had violated their policy of misusing resources and my account had been terminated because “large scale cryptocurrency mining” consumes, blah , blah, blah. I had 3 single VPU droplets and that they considered “large scale cryptocurrency mining”. I was still able to putty into the droplets and I stopped the miners, but I still can’t access the control panel to destroy them. Still waiting for further word from DO non-support. I told them I did not know 'i was doing anything wrong and asked them how 3 VPUs could possibly be adversely affecting their gigantic cloud?

I looking into Cloud Sigma, anybody have experience with them? I hear they welcome miners.

Hmm, that’s strange. I’m also using DO for mining, but had a discussion with them upfront about my intended use and they said they weren’t against mining in small doses (but would deny requests to lift the droplet limit so they can keep it under control and ensure a quality experience for other non-mining users). A+ on that, by the way, I’m likely going to use them in the future for putting user satisfaction so high :).

Anyway, I mention this because if they accused you of “large scale cryptocurrency mining” it seems there’s something else going on. Maybe you somehow triggered a heuristic for detecting individuals with multiple accounts? I’d push on this, as it seems a mistake was made.

Finally, as part of my request I did also give them a variety of identifying information which might have helped avoid my account being flagged (as it shouldn’t be).

Sorry your account got suspended, hope it works out well for you!

I was made to feel like a criminal suspect and I told them that, but I have received no reply to that. I would like to push the issue, but to who?

I don’t have experience with Cloud Sigma and never had that happen to me netsun, sorry to hear that. Let me know if I can do anything.

Thanks cameron. I did get the email of the chief marketing officer. The top officers are accessible by Twitter and LinkedIn but I prefer email which I got from his twitter page.
I described my situation and complaint in a civil manner and I am hoping for something positive back. The fact that they don’t want me mining is not what bothers me, its the way I was treated like a bad guy. Right now I am in limbo, I can not access my control panel to destroy the offending droplets, but I can login to them with Putty. I even did them the favor of shutting down the miners. But now I have droplets that I am no doubt being billed for but are doing nothing for me. Customer support is ignoring me now even though I have been civil and cooperative with them.

If I don’t get satisfaction from the corp officer, then I will tell my story in every blog and forum I can find.

An update: I heard nothing from the suit which doesn’t surprise me too much, nor his underlings. I was finally able to escape from DO (Hotel California) when I opened a ticket to Customer Support requesting access to Control Panel so I could go to Billing, this they promptly complied with.:wink: I went to Billing and paid the bill but I was also finally able to access my droplets which I destroyed immediately, then I deactivated my account. I was then presented with an exit survey on which I gave them an earful (in a civil manner), but will anybody care? I was treated like a cockroach they found crawling around in their cupboard. They don’t mind letting you stay on their cloud as long as you’re not doing very much, better yet just storing data. But I really must wonder how safe any data is on Digital Ocean.

bump. I haven’t had time to read your two most recent posts but I will soon and see if I can think of something.

Has anyone had issues with billing updates? My $ amount stayed at 14 cents for a week, but then it updated and I got an email saying I need to pay $4 in defecit.

bump. I haven’t had any issue with the billing deficit. You should keep track of how much the cost is per hour so you don’t get surprised by any costs.

bump.

bump.

bump.

Are they referring to your actions, or was that an additional sentence something such as, “We have disabled your account because large scale cryptocurrency mining has caused problems with the quality of service provided other customers”. Which is thus referring to the collective group of currency miners, including yourself.

Either way you broke the terms of service and it isn’t even profitable mining, so why hurt the servers?

bump.

In my opinion I was not violating their “quality of service” with a mere 3 VPUs even if they were running at an average 90% cpu utilization., but yes that was the implication. I have no way as a customer to measure the effect my VPUs are having on other customers. How could I??? If I had known the mining was a problem I would have stopped immediately. I am not very cloud savy, but it doesn’t make sense that I was such a problem they had to lock my account. The ironic part is the miners were still crunching away and I was the one who logged in with Putty and halted them.

I was not mining for profit, it was a science project for me, just a fun thing.

bump.