[Updated] Guide To Cloud Mining Primecoin - Also get free XPM!

[quote=“mootzville, post:100, topic:765”]Just wanted to give a shout out to the OP. The guide was simple and worked on the first try.

I’m completely new and this is about as straight forward as you can get.

If you try the ‘sudo apt-get update’ after you make your droplet and it sticks at 0% when connecting to debian, just reboot your droplet…I had it happen a couple times and that seemed to work.

I’ve been testing some things and think the best option on digitalocean is the $20 one instead of the $80 one. You get 2 cpu’s and 2gb ram (so you can get 8 cpu’s running (4 droplets @ $20) for $80 instead of just 4 (1 droplet @ $80). With that setup I get a little over 1000 primes/sec consistently for each droplet. I have 4 droplets of those running and a 5th is running the $80 one (just to test it out). The $80 option is 4 cpu’s and 8gb ram…you’d think you’d get double the primes/sec, but I’m only getting around 1350 primes/sec with this one. So, 4x the price and only a 33% increase…? Makes no sense. Gonna let it run for a day or two anyway just for testing. If the OP – or anyone – has any advice regarding this, I’d love to hear it (and yes my genproclimit is set to 4 for that one).

Also, has anyone tried asking the digitalocean reps for more droplets (I can only have 5)? Just wanted to see before asking, so they don’t ban me or something for mining…I’d like to run 20 of the $20 droplets ideally…

If there are better ways to mine by buying my own equipment please mention that as well…I promise (ha! internet promise :slight_smile: ) once I get things going your help won’t be forgotten.

Like I said I’m new, so any and all advice is helpful. Thanks everyone!

And…if you’re in the giving mood: AP21oskxtZaQAvf3PdiFtP8DWcLUcGfjAk <— some xpm’s to get me going are much appreciated!

Happy Holidazzles![/quote]

Heads up…just realized the difficulty went up, so my 2cpu/2gb droplets are only mining around 600 primes/sec, so the 1200 primes for the $80 droplet makes sense now…

Looks like it’s no longer worthwhile to create new servers if it drops below 50% cpu usage.

Some people have been asking me about this, so remember the number of threads is the number of Virtual CPU’s your package comes with when you sign up. On the choose your package page it’ll tell you the storage, ram, and cpu cores, the number of threads = number of cpu cores. Hope that helps!

Still worthwhile, I’m not sure what the CPU thing is, you just need to set it up correctly and it miners properly - seems like this problem only occurs w/ larger droplets.

Remember to PM me if you have questions.

I’m going away for a week guys so I may not respond to you’re PM’s right away. But remember to sign up and they’re be internet their so I can still respond.

He guys, im kinda new to the whole mining thing and i thought to give cloudmining a try. I have 2 $5 droplets set up at DigitalOcean (as a matter of testing). The thing is, they only mine at 160primes/s 0.005 chains a day. That seems kinda low, doesnt it ?

When i look at the CPU graphs i notice my CPU is only being used for 50%. I set my miner up to only use 1 thread because the $5 droplet only gives you 1 core.

Any ideas on how i can get the miner to use 100% of the cpu ? Or any ideas on how to speed up mining in general on these cloud servers ?

Thnx!

Hi Koenuss,

don’t use only one thread. You can use multiple threads on a every core.
This should bring your cpu usage to 100%. Don’t use the thread flag on your miner, it’ll determine the best number of threads by itself.

[quote=“Candypool.net, post:107, topic:765”]Hi Koenuss,

don’t use only one thread. You can use multiple threads on a every core.
This should bring your cpu usage to 100%. Don’t use the thread flag on your miner, it’ll determine the best number of threads by itself.[/quote]

How do you not use the threads flag ? I’m currently using this line:

command=/root/primecoin/src/primeminer -poolip=176.34.128.129 -poolport=1337 -pooluser=APs1NRinWMzjFfud6YgBSj2hpVwDmc4wdi -genproclimit=2

Hi Koenuss,

sorry i forgot that there are other miner tools out there :slight_smile:

I can’t tell you what you need to change on your miner.
If you were using the miner provided by my pool it would automatically determine the best thread value.

Edit: if you still want to use your current miner try genproclimit=-1

P.S.: This isn’t intended as advertisement :wink:

Thanks, i’ll look in to that ! Whats the average speed you guys are running those cloud cpu’s on on this diff ?

Depends on how many you have running I’ve found 16 on a single droplet don’t do as well as 16 individual ones but you can’t have 16 droplets.

Hi. I set up a unix box to test this pool but I can’t build the program after I install the dependencies and clone the repo, I run make and get this:

root@beer1:~/primecoin# cd src/ root@beer1:~/primecoin/src# make -f makefile.unix /bin/sh ../share/genbuild.sh obj/build.h g++ -c -O2 -pthread -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter -DBOOST_SPIRIT_THREADSAFE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/root/primecoin/src -I/root/primecoin/src/obj -DUSE_IPV6=1 -I/root/primecoin/src/leveldb/include -I/root/primecoin/src/leveldb/helpers -DHAVE_BUILD_INFO -fno-stack-protector -fstack-protector-all -Wstack-protector -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -MMD -MF obj/db.d -o obj/db.o db.cpp

It hangs for a minute or two, and then I get this.

g++: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.8/README.Bugs> for instructions.
make: *** [obj/db.o] Error 4

I’m lost. What can I do here? Thanks for any help.

Ok I have internet on vacation so I’ll reply to all of your PM’s guys, keep signing up!

I don’t know how many people are still following this so how many people would prefer a guide to ypool.net vs. beeeeer.org.

Just got my miner running. Is there a problem with beeeeer.org or advantage to ypool.net?

Ok, thanks for the replies guys… I’ve gotten a few PM’s about this so I guess I will make a guide w/ ypool.

Answered all PM’s so far… remember to PM me if you guys have any questions.

Remember to PM me if you guys have any questions.

Hey guys. If anyone is interested in creating a bitcoin blog / forum or something along those lines - mainly interested in people who could market websites along those lines please PM me.

Thanks for the replies. I’m also interested in people working w/ me for curecoin… if they ever release it, but I am trying to get a team together before it is released.