Trouble syncing PPCoin wallet

I downloaded the PPCoin wallet a couple of days ago and it would not sync with the network - I tryed to sync it all night long and it didn’t sync at all. It has the little wheel in the lower right bottom turning, but when I hover over the icon next to it it says: “0 active connection/s to PPCoin network”. I am able to surf the web. I opened my BTC and LTC wallets and they sync, it’s just the PPC wallet that won’t sync. I even uninstalled the wallet and re-downloaded and installed it again and this one has the same trouble. What should I do? :frowning: I am using Windows 7 on my laptop with Wifi.

Hello all I’m having the exact same problem. :-\

Make sure you are not blocking the app or port 9902 from your firewall. Just to test it you can disable your firewall and see if it connects to any peers. You can also try and forward the port on the router to the computer that you installed the wallet on.

try this:

in your start menu little input box thingy type %APPDATA% and then “Roaming” will pop up. Click that. Then click on ppcoin.

In the ppcoin folder, open ppcoin.conf if one exists, if not make one and add the following to it:

addnode=66.90.146.146
addnode=91.156.102.128
addnode=110.174.124.20
addnode=67.14.164.114
addnode=37.209.40.22
addnode=50.71.216.165
addnode=109.108.236.208
addnode=173.28.37.150
addnode=68.102.86.156
addnode=213.251.187.24
addnode=188.134.122.31
addnode=72.38.179.122
addnode=76.74.177.224

Had same problem; creating ppcoin.conf fixed it.

My question is: why is this happening and when will it be fixed properly?

I want PPC grow but don’t see how it will with such an immediately unsatisfactory user experience when ppl sign up. I was about to change some fiat to PPC but, gathering from the forums just how prevalent this bug probably is, have decided to hold off.

[quote=“scryptkiddie, post:5, topic:1804”]Had same problem; creating ppcoin.conf fixed it.

My question is: why is this happening and when will it be fixed properly?

I want PPC grow but don’t see how it will with such an immediately unsatisfactory user experience when ppl sign up. I was about to change some fiat to PPC but, gathering from the forums just how prevalent this bug probably is, have decided to hold off.[/quote]

I don’t think that’s fair. I’ve seen this bug in other cryptos, its just something that happens when a network doesn’t have an abundance of people yet.

http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2068

Is that really the cause? Not enough proliferation? I find that hard to believe with the reports of people leaving their new wallet syncing overnight or for days without a single connection. Download a new Dogecoin wallet and it’ll make it’s first connection in seconds.

If, somehow, scarcity of users is the whole problem, then PPcoin-QT should install with a .conf pre-populated with all those seed addresses.

I don’t mean to be harsh. I want PPC to succeed, and also want to understand if this problem is on the short list to be addressed or not. Because so long as Step 1 is download the wallet and Step 2 is “build a conf file,” Peercoin growth is being stunted.

Is that really the cause? Not enough proliferation? I find that hard to believe with the reports of people leaving their new wallet syncing overnight or for days without a single connection. Download a new Dogecoin wallet and it’ll make it’s first connection in seconds.

If, somehow, scarcity of users is the whole problem, then PPcoin-QT should install with a .conf pre-populated with all those seed addresses.

I don’t mean to be harsh. I want PPC to succeed, and also want to understand if this problem is on the short list to be addressed or not. Because so long as Step 1 is download the wallet and Step 2 is “build a conf file,” Peercoin growth is being stunted.[/quote]

Okay, I should say that I’ve noticed a correlation, but I don’t know if it’s a cause or not.

I’ve definitely seen this in other wallets I’ve installed before though, so it’s not Peercoin exclusive.

I’ve had the most recent Peercoin client on a new install (had to reformat several times recently over being a dipshit) find peers instantly.

Scarcity of users may not be the actual problem, but for some reason I’m convinced the problem will go away when scarcity isn’t an issue. I’ve never had the problem with Bitcoin, and only had the problem with Litecoin early on.

I’m not saying you don’t have a point either. That’s a valid argument you bring to the table. Whatever the problem is it does need to be sorted out.

I realize I’m arguing my intuition here.

But that’s okay, because Peercoin’s version # is 0.3.0, nobody is claiming all the bugs are worked out of it yet, or that it’s ready to go mainstream.

As the concept continues to grow, it’ll naturally attract enough eyes to the source code for dumb stuff like this to get spotted out. Until then, I’m guessing the developers have a giant list of stuff needing done, and have to prioritize their time.

This is the trade-off of being an early adopter of a technology. I don’t view it as a competition. A good idea doesn’t need to rush.

I’m biased though. I’m definitely being a total Peercoin apologist.

You do have me curious about whether this has been identified as a bug or not though, and if it’s on the radar.

I believe it is caused because the hard coded seed nodes are no longer active. The lack of a release in a while and the seed nodes going down is the issue. Also I should say it does have something to do with the .peers file as well but i have not identified the link… once trusted seednodes are detected i think they store it in the peer file maybe as when ever i connect i have no problem having connectedb4 unless i delete that file.

New 0.3.1 release is out… i have made a buildand will be adding some pull requests to

Fuzzybear

FYI

I’ve been helping Fuzzy with this issue. Look forward to a resolution asap.

Where do we find 0.3.1 ?

http://builds.peercointalk.org

I am in a pickle. I downloaded a PPCoin wallet and then sent some PPC to it using an address generated from it. I then noticed that it was not connected, and now when I try to open it I get the error ‘Error loading blkindex.dat’ and it wont open at all! I have the PPC pending and not sure how to rescue them , if anyone can help please do.

ok backup your wallet.dat file.
check you have backed up the wallet.dat file
delete all the files in the ppcoin directory where your wallet.dat and conf file is (so remove all the blockchain files.) EXCEPT the wallet.dat and ppcoin.conf.
now restart client and wait for blockchain to redownload and you transaction should be there.

alternatively
rename the directory that blockchain and wallet.dat file stored in to ppcoinOld or something make new directory ppcoin and copy wallet.dat and ppcoin.conf file into it and restart client … download blockchain

if your transaction still doesn not show up… open the client with argument -rescan
client will then rescan the wallet for any transactions not broardcast correctly and all should be fine from there.

Fuzzybear

Thanks, but I do not have a wallet.dat file at all. The wallet has not received any PPC and does not open at all just has an error message. Im a real newby to this, should have checked that the wallet was working before sending to it! I am trying to get some help from BTC-E where I withdrew the PPC from to see if they can somehow assist.

what is your operating system?? windows? if so open a windows explorer and in the address bar type

%appdata%

then open the ppcoin directory… oh and boom there is your wallet.dat file…

Fuzzybear

ok , I found the wallet.dat file. Still not to sure about what to do next though? is all of the data that is needed in the wallet.dat file? redownload the wallet and copy the file into the new one? I really don’t want to lose these PPC !

ok cool so you have your wallet.dat file.

This holds all your “Peercoin addresses” (private and public keys)

you MUST not loose this wallet.dat file, if it is the only one u have and is the only place where you have a private key for your address you sent the coins.

Ok go to a block explorer. http://bkchain.org/ppc here is one.

search the PPC blockchain for your address u sent the coins to from btc-e to verify the coins are sent and waiting for you on the address.

So you have found the directory where the blockchain is stored and your ppcoin.conf and wallet.dat file… should be other files like debug.log in there and blk0001.dat etc…

ok lets do the second method i described as will give u backup of all ur files to reset to this point and try again if things go wrong.

1 So go up one directory from the ppcoin… so you should be in the %appdata% or roaming folder.
2 Rename the ppcoin folder to ppcoinOld
3 create new folder called ppcoin
4 copy the wallet.dat file and ppcoin.conf (if you have one) from ppcoinOld to ppcoin
5 restart ppcoind or ppcoin-Qt wait for blockchain to download.
6 verify ur address is in the wallet that you sent the coins to
7 verify your transaction sent from btc-e (they have email confirmations sent out)

hope this helps

Fuzzybear

ok so I checked on the peercoin blockchain and they are sitting there waiting.

1 So go up one directory from the ppcoin… so you should be in the %appdata% or roaming folder. DONE
2 Rename the ppcoin folder to ppcoinOld DONE
3 create new folder called ppcoin DONE
4 copy the wallet.dat file and ppcoin.conf (if you have one) from ppcoinOld to ppcoin - Copied the wallet.dat but there is no ppcoin.conf
5 restart ppcoind or ppcoin-Qt wait for blockchain to download. - Currently Downloading the blockchain (hopefully), I don’t know why it actually started without the error but it did!
6 verify ur address is in the wallet that you sent the coins to - Not sure how to do this
7 verify your transaction sent from btc-e (they have email confirmations sent out) - Or this!

Will let you know how things go . Thanks for your help.

It worked, you saved the day ! Thanks Fuzzy your a legend. :slight_smile: