Trouble enabling Minting n PPCoin-QT (Moved Thread

(I moved this from the ‘Mining’ board because I felt it wasn’t in the right place. I’ve found this to be the most difficult part of the process, though I realize it isn’t 100% necessary for general mining purposes. I will be sitting on some of my PPC for a while, and simply want to maximize my earning potential, though who knows what will happen. Just would like to have the option.

I’m confused as to whether I need to create the a .conf file for PPCoin-QT as provided in this post by FuzzyBear? - http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=3.0

I found this link both on these boards, and at Bitcointalk.org - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=187714.0

I attempted it before, and it didn’t work out well. I found the instructions in the latter tutorial particularly confusing. Edit: I just erased my previous code I had posted, and am using the one provided in the Bitcointalk.org thread provided above, as I discovered where I made the error. I also watched the tutorial provided in the Bicointalk.org thread, which shows you how to make the .conf file and the .bat file step-by-step. Here’s the familiar URL for that tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnLvE_Vnojc&list=PLBt4zAxcWonnA8-InWGUEw-UZofHdUIeT

I understand why Proof of Stake is worth it. Here’s the kicker: Even after following the steps exactly, I cannot enable minting.

Any info as to why after watching and following the tutorial I still cannot enable minting (tried on two separate PPCoin-QT instances on separate PCs running Windows 7 64-bit), please let me know.

I run Widows 7, 64-bit. Thanks in advance!

(just an afterthought… It it possible to somehow unlock my wallet and enable minting that way?)

Okay, at this point I’ve tied FuzzyBear’s instructions, the instructions from the tutorial on Bitcointalk.org, followed the corresponding Youtube vid, looked at tweaks made by other users, and none of it is working. I cannot figure out what I’m doing wrong according to the instructions provided. I’m giving up until I receive some kind of assistance, or else I’ll go completely made. If it is so easy that one can copy and paste the material provided into the .conf and .bat files, then I simply cannot see where I’m making an error. I did EXACTLY what the guy in the Youtube video did. It worked for him, and I still am unable to mint. Very frustrating.

Please send some help my way. It will be very much appreciated.

Did you think about the ‘trap’ with the extension of the config file?
Enable showing extension and check whether the config file didn’t end up with a txt extension.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:3, topic:1678”]Did you think about the ‘trap’ with the extension of the config file?
Enable showing extension and check whether the config file didn’t end up with a txt extension.[/quote]

yep. I have my settings set to show all file extensions, so I can delete file extension names and set the new extension appropriately. My problem isn’t that I’m not creating .conf or .bat files. They behave like .conf and .bat files. They just don’t seen to do what they are supposed to do, and I can’t figure out why. It seems rather straight forward. Mostly copy and paste, and edit extension name to the file behaves properly. Still, no joy. Thanks for posting, though. I appreciate it. I was beginning to wonder if anyone would chime in. lol Thanks again!

Did you already stop and restarted the daemon?
Or simply rebooted your computer if you don’t know how to do that?

Another option is to try Fuzzybear’s 0.3.2 client. With that one you can enable minting without the bat files.
There is a thread about that client where I posted the commands to enable and disable minting in the debug window.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:5, topic:1678”]Did you already stop and restarted the daemon?

Another option is to try Fuzzybear’s 0.3.2 client. With that one you can enable minting without the bat files.
There is a thread about that client where I posted the commands to enable and disable minting in the debug window.[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I thought I would know how to shutdown ppcoind.exe, since I can do it with bitcoind.exe, but it seems I’ve missed something. So, I shut down PPCoin-QT, made sure that the .conf and ,bat files were exactly as described in the tutorials, adding the username and password. I then restarted the computer. After PPCoin was loaded and synced, I clicked on the ,bat file, entered the password, and got nothing but the message that flashes as the file closes. I have no idea what it says because it goes away so quickly.

So, if I install Fuzzybears’s 0.3.2 client, will it install over the existing 0.3.0 client? I’m worried about losing my coins. I’ve got another computer running with a wallet, but would like to avoid fees, if possible. The fees are not much, but I’d not want to move them around and end up where I’m at now, except with a few less mPPC.

I’ll do some reading in the meantime to see if I can find that thread you spoke of. Thanks again!

[quote=“Cybnate, post:5, topic:1678”]Did you already stop and restarted the daemon?

There is a thread about that client where I posted the commands to enable and disable minting in the debug window.[/quote]

Thanks for the help. In the end, Ben had some spare time and was able to figure out that the special character in my password was causing the problem. Got that fixed and I’m all set now. I appreciate the help! Cheers!

In case anyone else runs into the similar issue on Windows (where you get an error entering the password when starting up mint.bat and you have a special character or a space in your wallet password), in the mint.bat file, the line that instructs the Peercoin daemon to unlock the wallet for minting should be change from this:

ppcoind walletpassphrase %variable% 9999999 true

to

ppcoind walletpassphrase "%variable%" 9999999 true

Save the file and then try it again.

Here is the link to the post I referred to. As long as you made a backup of your wallet.dat file your coins are safe. Good to hear that you worked it out with Ben and posted the issue you had.

After almost a year holding a small pile of ppc I decided to try minting and came across this thread that lead to the “PPCoin Proof of Stake Minting Setup Guide” referenced in the OP.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=187714.0

Both threads have been very helpful and I too was going a bit mad when despite following the setup guide the wallet appeared not to unlock until I realized there’s an intermittent delay with the reference client (v0.4.0ppc-beta) displaying the unlock state, sometimes taking up to a minute or more to show in the in gui but which reliably reflects the unlocked state using “getinfo”

“unlocked_until” : 1410737799,
“errors” : “”

Similar delay using “walletlock” where the gui doesn’t promptly reflect the locked condition, but “getinfo” does.

Conversely, once the unlocked condition was reflected in the gui checking with “getinfo” one time I received back the above “unlocked_until” response with a 10-digit number like the one above but “errors” showing “Minting suspended due to a locked wallet” which seems contradictory. However locking then unlocking the wallet cleared this ambiguous “getinfo” response.

At the end of the day my wallet is online, unlocked with “getinfo” properly reflecting the unlocked condition and so I’ll be interested to see how long it takes my approx 100 coin year pile to generate a staking block.

So there’s my 2nd posting, rudimentary stuff I know for seasoned ppc folk but may maybe will help another minting noob avoid some frustration.

Everyone should use peerunity instead of the reference wallet to save grief like this.