Translate website, peercoin.net, into your native language

Which way should we use now?
Should we send the .doc file via mail or should we use this java tool on github?
I’ve created a german .doc and .htm file.

@Valermos Working with app is just proposition, and tutorial is only a sketch, so until LifeDies decide I think .doc is still valid.

@kactech I have completed the import of my translation into the tools.

@LifeDies I sent mail to you, please have a check.

@LifeDies: I’ve sent you an email with the german translation.

My dispute is over the term crypto currency as I think crypto commodity is the inevitable future term.

My dispute is over the term crypto currency as I think crypto commodity is the inevitable future term.[/quote]

I’ll leave that to other people to figure out. Right now my main concern is this sentence on the website…

“Peercoin is cryptocurrency, a type of digital-money.”

It sounds incomplete to me. I think it should say this instead…

“Peercoin is a cryptocurrency, a type of digital-money.”

Since it was brought up in another thread: Any progress with the translation of peercoin.net to other languages so far?

It seems that OP haven’t checked in for a while and also abandoned another thread. Now we have a refreshed website (which I really like), it might be worth to give the translations another go.
At the end of the day starting to translate into Chinese and Spanish (given the number of native speakers) might be valuable to attract a large number of non-english speakers.

I would leave super3 a PM and check with him whether we should start doing this now and what is the best way to do it (e.g. is Kactec’s method as described in this thread still working?)

I’d volunteer for English>German translation

What about creating translation teams for each language?

That way the translation and (the hard part) updating every time there’s a change will be smoother working as a team and distributing the work.

I could take spanish and find 4 other people to join the team. We should have also some sort of official doc of the process for the teams, not just a sketch, to unify the way of working.

I agree with you Mrbickle, there are a lot of volunteers with good intentions to translate a website, but only few to be willing to continue doing updates of the changes which happen regularly. And I think an outdated website is worse than no website at all (in any language), so we shouldn’t let that happen.

That’s why I also suggested in a previous post to focus on the major languages to cover as many people with a minimum of effort. I very much like your team idea and would like to join, but my Spanish is totally inadequate to help your team. Sharing the load is key, we just need to find a better way to motivate people doing this ongoing. Any suggestions? Should we have a translation fund which pays the translation team for every number of changes or just bi-monthly? Maybe just like a faucet but then for team members only and only providing bi-monthly to certain IP addresses. Just thinking of reducing the overheads of administering this.

For now I’m with you to stick with the rule that a web translation in a language is only sustainable if 3-5 people are willing to commit to spend some time on it every now and then when changes have been made.

Hope you can find an adequate team soon and start with the Spanish translation, as there is definitely value in getting the website translated and maintained in 4 or 5 world languages.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:31, topic:1170”]I agree with you Mrbickle, there are a lot of volunteers with good intentions to translate a website, but only few to be willing to continue doing updates of the changes which happen regularly. And I think an outdated website is worse than no website at all (in any language), so we shouldn’t let that happen.

That’s why I also suggested in a previous post to focus on the major languages to cover as many people with a minimum of effort. I very much like your team idea and would like to join, but my Spanish is totally inadequate to help your team. Sharing the load is key, we just need to find a better way to motivate people doing this ongoing. Any suggestions? Should we have a translation fund which pays the translation team for every number of changes or just bi-monthly? Maybe just like a faucet but then for team members only and only providing bi-monthly to certain IP addresses. Just thinking of reducing the overheads of administering this.

For now I’m with you to stick with the rule that a web translation in a language is only sustainable if 3-5 people are willing to commit to spend some time on it every now and then when changes have been made.

Hope you can find an adequate team soon and start with the Spanish translation, as there is definitely value in getting the website translated and maintained in 4 or 5 world languages.[/quote]
I dived a bit into this topic. A good start would be to use something like https://crowdin.net/ . It’s not for free, but it gives a lot of structure to the process (the guys at worldcoin are using it too).
Any interest in this?

Not much activity here… We need the main website devs to join the discussion and make alltogether a process walkthrough that all translation teams should follow.

Given that english is the native language of just the 5’5% of this world population, translating the website should be a very important issue. Translating to mandarin, spanish, arabic and hindi, with about 2500 millions of native speakers would give a lot of extra exposure to Peercoin.

I agree with you, what do you think about proposing a tool like crowdin.net. I would be even willing to partially fund it for a year or so, if this is the accepted solution to maintaining a multilingual website. We are missing a lot of potential Peercoin supporters.

Happy to leave super3 a message and discuss some technicalities but I’m hoping for a bit more community support.
With crowdin.net I think we can setup a relatively low maintenance and easy way for the community to contribute. It would also be easier to put bounties on major work or reviews and track progress.

How does that sound?

Edit: this tool can also be used to support translation of the wiki, good articles, press releases, interesting threads on the forum or subtitles for any videos we release. It takes the technical challenges away from the translator. Translators are quiet often not very good techies (difference between alpha and beta people). You still need someone to transfer the translated files into the right location, but that is something I or/and volunpeers can learn to do.

It would be good to bundle the discussion in one place, now there is this thread and the issues at Github. As I hadn’t thought this thread to be in this section, I translated peercoin.net into German without knowing that someone had done this already.

I’m considering putting my hand up in coordinating the translation efforts for website, wiki and key posts in the forums, but wondered about the total lack of any feedback in this thread. Could you point me to the Github discussion?
Github is still alien to me not bejng a developer, but prepared to learn how it works to the extend I can support and coordinate any efforts.
Will ask FB to move this thread to a more apropiate location hoping that will generate some renewed interest.

It’s ok for me Cybnate, I’ll take the Spanish team coordination and reviewing. Hopefully things will speed up a little…

Awesome, hope that others will put their hand up for the coordination of other languages. Chinese would be high on the list. Also more exotic sounding languages like Hindi (India) or Bahasa (Indonesia) would be great as they are largely untapped markets for cryptos and Peercoin in particular.

There are some translation-related threads there:

Fix for market data error by sandakersmann · Pull Request #129 · super3/peercoin.net · GitHub (German and Spanish translations)

Minting guides need updating · Issue #123 · super3/peercoin.net · GitHub (Chinese translation, seems to be done)

Completed issue #47. by bearbin · Pull Request #54 · super3/peercoin.net · GitHub (Installation of a CMS as a better base for translations)

I think we can discuss the translations here in the forum, as not many people have a technical background, but at Github there should be a reference to this thread then, so we aren’t inventing the wheel many times :wink:

Added reference of this thread to the github issue on german and Spanish trans issue https://github.com/super3/peercoin.net/issues/129

Fuzzybear