Tips for Verified Raspberry Pi Nodes

I’m still struggling with one of my rpis, it probably is the SD card, still have to get some new SD cards, and still trying to get above 8 connections with port 9902 9901 forwarded (RPC uses 02) , maybe will get around it this weekend

(the idea is: I use one as a full node with port 9901 open, and the other one for minting)

Got the pi few days ago, ran to pc shops for adaptors, hmdi/usb cables, usb drive/sd card etc, spent half a day compiling

Is this good enough for the tip ?

Note that it’s on adsl line, and the IP is not fixed, now it’s at, 110.168.184.179 , if it’s still at this IP, port 9901 should be opening

[quote=“irritant, post:81, topic:2152”]I’m still struggling with one of my rpis, it probably is the SD card, still have to get some new SD cards, and still trying to get above 8 connections with port 9902 9901 forwarded (RPC uses 02) , maybe will get around it this weekend

(the idea is: I use one as a full node with port 9901 open, and the other one for minting)[/quote]

Thanks irritant. I think your efforts will provide some helpful learning.

[quote=“romerun, post:82, topic:2152”]Got the pi few days ago, ran to pc shops for adaptors, hmdi/usb cables, usb drive/sd card etc, spent half a day compiling

Is this good enough for the tip ?

Note that it’s on adsl line, and the IP is not fixed, now it’s at, 110.168.184.179 , if it’s still at this IP, port 9901 should be opening[/quote]

Romerun,

I applaud your enthusiasm!

Yes, I think your efforts are good enough to have earned the First Tip in the Peercoin on RPi program. If you will post a Peercoin address then I will send you your well deserved tip.

NewMoneyEra

:slight_smile: or :be happy:

Before we advertise to promote the Tips for Peercoin on RPi program, I am hoping to get feedback on what is reasonable criterion for awarding tips? The multisig tipping is cool and I would hope to implement it sometime, but for now I am to start traveling tomorrow and will also soon be called away by other projects which will keep me quite distracted. So, for the sake of simplicity, what would be reasonable criterion without us using multisig tipping?

(modified river333's steps 3-7 from above) 3. Bob posts on the forum with a photo of his Pi and his Pi screen (his posting will be sufficient evidence of his user name and forum membership) In the picture of Bob's RPi screen is: A. a window showing his RPi serial number; and B. an image of his Peercoin Qt wallet with the green checkmark in the lower right hand corner indicating that his RPi is now a currently synced Peercoin node; and before taking the picture Bob has clicked the "Receive coins" tab so C. Bob's wallet "Address" to receive coins is visible in the picture; and to aid the verifiers sending him his tip Bob must also paste the digital version of his receiving address into his forum post.
  1. The authorized tip giver (or two of three authorized tip givers if we use multisig) checks Bob’s RPi serial number against a list of numbers that tips have already been sent to and also checks items B for the green check mark, and C that the screen address matches the digitally supplied address, then signs a 10 PPC tip for Bob.

2. Bob receives his tip in his Qt wallet and anyone who wants to check on the blockchain can see that he did receive it.

Would this criterion work in general? Is this asking too much of the tip earner? Or, the tip giver? Or, is it reasonable? Does it have obvious flaws?

Regarding port forwarding. I think the jury is still out on this issue. Do we want to require an opened port / port forwarding?

I think what we want is the best situation for the Peercoin network. It is just not clear to me what that is. What is the best for Peercoin in this regard? What do you think?

FYI since last posting on the port issue I have since learned that Nxt and it’s now, by my count, at least 8 new forks all require an opened port. So, I think the bandwidth traffic burdens must surely not be so high as I had been led to believe by reading the Bitcoin threads.

What do you think? How can these things be worked into functional shape?

With Peercoin, Peershares and Peerunity I think we need verified build environment to cross-compile for RPi, f.e. as Amazon EC2 Image.
From what I understand Raspian is Debian Wheezy with custom kernel and debian armhf (armel?) packages.
FuzzyBear, you built 0.4, do you think it’s possible to create such ready image and/or script to replicate environment?

Debian 64 package

• build-essential
  • arm-linux-gnu-g++
  • git

Raspian packages (fetch and unpack in f.e. /opt/arm)

• libssl-dev
  • libdb-dev
  • libdb4.8+±dev
  • libboost-all-dev
  • dependencies
  • ?

Then, when critical bug or update occur instead hours of compilation, spin-up 32 cores and bang! :wink:
It’s necessary if we want make RPi meaningful part of infrastructure.

Just regarding the tipping, NewMoneyEra, are you happy to just send out the tips manually for each person?

Until we can use multisig, as you mentioned before I don’t really think there is any advantage in using peer4commit. It just adds an extra bit of complexity and doesn’t really offer any security benefits as it transfers the control of the PPC to whoever is in charge of the repo on github. If you have the time, then I think manual tipping is better at the moment. Though I’m still more than happy help out with that if you would prefer.

The criteria for receiving a tip seems fine to me. I’m not sure about port forwarding either though.

[quote=“river333, post:87, topic:2152”]Just regarding the tipping, NewMoneyEra, are you happy to just send out the tips manually for each person?

Until we can use multisig, as you mentioned before I don’t really think there is any advantage in using peer4commit. It just adds an extra bit of complexity and doesn’t really offer any security benefits as it transfers the control of the PPC to whoever is in charge of the repo on github. If you have the time, then I think manual tipping is better at the moment. Though I’m still more than happy help out with that if you would prefer.

The criteria for receiving a tip seems fine to me. I’m not sure about port forwarding either though.[/quote]

Hi river,

It’s great to hear from you. My apologies as I have been a bit absent lately. Yes, I think manual tipping for now is OK with me, but like I said above I’m about to get impossibly busy with traveling and etc. So, can I send you 101 PPC for you to distribute to the next 10 worthy RPi on Peercoin Tip Winners? I can send a tip to romerun if he supplies his PPC address in the next day or so. But after that I really don’t like typing in my password on hotel and other public networks.

NewMoneyEra

sweet

P9M6Qj1Hc5tx2zSncKWXbueFXVr3uigxu4

Thank you !!!

[quote=“romerun, post:89, topic:2152”]sweet

P9M6Qj1Hc5tx2zSncKWXbueFXVr3uigxu4

Thank you !!![/quote]

Hey romerun,

[size=12pt]Congratulations on being the Peercoin on Raspberry Pi First Tip Winner! [/size] :smiley: :smiley:

http://bkchain.org/ppc/address/P9M6Qj1Hc5tx2zSncKWXbueFXVr3uigxu4

Later tips will just be a flat 10 PPC but you got a little extra sparkle for being first!!!

Again Congratulations! :slight_smile:

NewMoneyEra

P.S. Now that you are up to speed on RPi if you have any feedback to make this thread better please say so. OK?

First Winner also gets a pie

Mucho Gracias 8) . This raspberry thing is great. It’s perfect for personal minting.

The send mail script of Tea42 is also useful as I can look on the mail header for the current ip address to be able to control it remotely from ssh tunnel.

I noticed that after my IP has changed, the number of connection was dropped to 8, maybe this is a bug on the coind or just poor connectivity thanks to ADSL line. Port 9901 still accessible from the new IP.

However, I’m pretty sure if I restarted my coind, the number of connection would be above 8. Although I could write a crontab to restart it every day, I’m not going to do it since I’m minting and I need to unlock my wallet manually.

Shortly after changing your IP, you will have just 8 connections, which are all outgoing connections. Of course there are no incoming connections, since nobody in the network knows your new IP. But after a short period, your new IP gets spread and other nodes will connect to you again.

Pretty cool to have more and more members maintaining nodes.

[quote=“NewMoneyEra, post:88, topic:2152”][quote=“river333, post:87, topic:2152”]Just regarding the tipping, NewMoneyEra, are you happy to just send out the tips manually for each person?

The criteria for receiving a tip seems fine to me. I’m not sure about port forwarding either though.[/quote]

Hi river,

It’s great to hear from you. My apologies as I have been a bit absent lately. Yes, I think manual tipping for now is OK with me, but like I said above I’m about to get impossibly busy with traveling and etc. So, can I send you 101 PPC for you to distribute to the next 10 worthy RPi on Peercoin Tip Winners? I can send a tip to romerun if he supplies his PPC address in the next day or so. But after that I really don’t like typing in my password on hotel and other public networks.

NewMoneyEra[/quote]

Yes that’s fine with me, the address in my signature is ok. If you would prefer, you could send part of it to another forum member too to spread the risk. I wouldn’t be offended ;D I’ll leave that up to you though.

I think I’ll start a new thread for giving out the tips. Any final word on whether port forwarding is necessary or not?

[quote=“josojo, post:93, topic:2152”]Shortly after changing your IP, you will have just 8 connections, which are all outgoing connections. Of course there are no incoming connections, since nobody in the network knows your new IP. But after a short period, your new IP gets spread and other nodes will connect to you again.

Pretty cool to have more and more members maintaining nodes.[/quote]

josojo, romerun, kac, irritant, Ben and others, can you give us any feedback as to whether we should ask for home users to have port forwarding requirement to get their RPi tip? How exactly is it done for people who know little computer jargon? How many nodes are you communicating with? Can you use WireShark or other program to tell what your bandwidth consumption is? etc. etc.

In General should we, or should we not be asking for port forwarded RPis to win a tip?

[quote=“NewMoneyEra, post:95, topic:2152”][…]
In General should we, or should we not be asking for port forwarded RPis to win a tip?[/quote]

Out of sheer paranoia I’m against port forwardings for minting RPIs until cold locked minting is available.
Just my 0.02 PPC…

sent by Tapatalk

[quote=“river333, post:94, topic:2152”]Yes that’s fine with me, the address in my signature is ok. If you would prefer, you could send part of it to another forum member too to spread the risk. I wouldn’t be offended ;D I’ll leave that up to you though.

I think I’ll start a new thread for giving out the tips. Any final word on whether port forwarding is necessary or not?[/quote]

river333,
I am suffering from a terrible internet connection problem right now. I have sent you enough PPC for the first 20 tips. I am struggling to get it confirmed out of BTC-e because of the poor internet connection and gmail bandwidth hog necessary confirmation.
http://bkchain.org/ppc/address/PTF2rSoCXKRMKNPquBd9Y9xbQbL6g4S1Sb

You decide whether you want to ask for port forwarding or not. The tip isn’t THAT big but it would be nice to get the best deal for Peercoin if we can. Also we can adapt with time: if we start out not requiring it, we can add the requirement later if it becomes apparent that is a better deal, or vice versa. Whatever, I would like for you to decide. I’m happy either way.

If you decide to require it, I think it could be verified by the picture of the RPi screen showing the Peercoin Wallet with the debug window open showing the command “getconnectioncount” having been typed in at the bottom and the window showing a number greater than 8.

Probably the easiest start up is to not require port forwarding, but I would like to see you do whatever you think you can do successfully.

Thanks for the help.

NewMoneyEra

[quote=“NewMoneyEra, post:97, topic:2152”]river333,
I am suffering from a terrible internet connection problem right now. I have sent you enough PPC for the first 20 tips. I am struggling to get it confirmed out of BTC-e because of the poor internet connection and gmail bandwidth hog necessary confirmation.
http://bkchain.org/ppc/address/PTF2rSoCXKRMKNPquBd9Y9xbQbL6g4S1Sb

You decide whether you want to ask for port forwarding or not. The tip isn’t THAT big but it would be nice to get the best deal for Peercoin if we can. Also we can adapt with time: if we start out not requiring it, we can add the requirement later if it becomes apparent that is a better deal, or vice versa. Whatever, I would like for you to decide. I’m happy either way.

If you decide to require it, I think it could be verified by the picture of the RPi screen showing the Peercoin Wallet with the debug window open showing the command “getconnectioncount” having been typed in at the bottom and the window showing a number greater than 8.

Probably the easiest start up is to not require port forwarding, but I would like to see you do whatever you think you can do successfully.

Thanks for the help.

NewMoneyEra[/quote]

I’m leaning towards requiring port forwarding at the moment. Romerun seems to have done it successfully, and if a lot of people are having problems then we change the requirements later on.

Super! Sounds good to me. PPC should be coming through now. I had to cancel the whole deal and redo it all through my phone. good luck thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Can confirm I just received the PPC: http://bkchain.org/ppc/address/PTF2rSoCXKRMKNPquBd9Y9xbQbL6g4S1Sb

I will try to set up the new thread for tipping over the weekend. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. :be happy: