Tips for Verified Raspberry Pi Nodes

[quote=“masterOfDisaster, post:40, topic:2152”]I second that approach (using the source code), but I’d recommend to think about using ppcoind instead of ppcoin-qt. Compiling ppcoind is straightforward, although it takes roughly 1.5 hours when compiling it native on the RPI (I’ve not digged into cross-compiling). There are unfortunately no binaries available (that I’m aware of and which I’d trust).
For using ppcoin-qt you need a keyboard and a monitor attached to the RPI (or you need to export the display or use VNC or else…).
Using ppcoind only requires SSH access via network, so that’s less effort in most cases.[/quote]

Yeah ppcoind is far more lightweight and efficient, but also less suitable for people who are not familiar with the command line. For more adoption, I would include ppcoin-qt aswell as ppcoind.

Also, for a minting wallet, I’d prefer to completely disable ssh, and firewall everything except the peercoin port 9902, just to be sure. That way you’d need actual local access to the device to get to the wallet.

[quote=“masterOfDisaster, post:40, topic:2152”]I’m not aware of such a remote control feature.
Have you considered controlling it via network/SSH?[/quote]

How does work ? Let’s say I can connect a raspberry to my hub using a network cable, it will need dhcp ? So I have to scan for the new ip inside my local network and connect to it, which means I have to burn a raspberry linux image on my ssd card from my laptop ?

If you have no image on your RPI’s SD card, you can’t boot, right?
So, yes, you copy a linux image (Raspbian is quite popular) on the SD card using your laptop, boot the RPI, connect it to the network, find out the IP address of the RPI and hope for SSH being enabled. I’m not sure whether this is true for e.g. Raspbian. If you need to download or start sshd first, you will have no success without a keyboard and a monitor.

If there was a trusted source binary for peercoind (with multiple, verifiable gitian signatures), would that suffice? If we can get enough of us working on separate efforts to build a signed copy, we can compile them together into something that that you could pull down with ‘wget’ or, if via the ‘apt-get’ package manager.

[quote=“Ben, post:44, topic:2152”]If there was a trusted source binary for peercoind (with multiple, verifiable gitian signatures), would that suffice?
[…][/quote]
I think that is the kind of trust we should be striving for. That can provide the same level of trust as the source code or the binaries from Sunny King already do. That would even be true for those who are not interested in trust and tend to install whatever runs fine :wink:
…I think we should raise the bar (in terms of security, integrity, trust) quite high as this is long past fun and research, but about lots of money (in some cases)…

That would help a whole lot, since it saves a lot of time and effort for compiling the thing. Apt-get can automatically install dependencies aswell. That will make it way easier to install peercoin on a raspberry pi.

[quote=“river333, post:33, topic:2152”]I think we need to figure this out now. As I understand it, there are four main options:

1. Run a node on R-Pi with less than 8 connections: This is the safest option but as it does not contribute to the network, I don’t think it is a worthwhile option to aim for.

2. Run a node on R-Pi with port forwarding i.e. more than 8 connections: This contributes to the network but poses security risks. As such, it should only be used as a node and not for storing/minting Peercoins.

3. Mint on R-Pi: This helps secure the network, but should not be done with port forwarding.

4. Run a node on VPS: This can be done with port forwarding, but should not be trusted with storing/minting Peercoins.

In my opinion, options 2 and 3 should be the scope of this campaign.[/quote]

Thank You river333 this helps clarify the issue. I am in agreement with your assessment on focusing on options 2 and 3. After thought and head scratching I have come down on the side of option 2 (requiring port forwarding). That is if providing port forwarding really does strengthen the Peercoin Network? I would love to hear feedback on this issue from some of the savvy networking guys.

The reason I don’t want to do number 3 (minting) is because with this modest “tips” program I hope many new people might try their first cryptos if they are already RPi fans, or they might try their first Peercoin on RPi if they are now crypto fans. Either way they probably won’t be coming for the 10 PPC tip if they already have large PPC holdings. So, it would be frustrating for them to try to mint when they don’t already have a lot of coin or coinage. Better to just get them running a node and learning Peercoin for starters. Then we give them their tip and they are happy and the Peercoin Network is stronger.

In the future, I think with cold-locked minting where the private key has never been on line, then I think at that time these (port forwarded) open port nodes will be able to mint with very strong security.

For verification, what about requiring:

1.) an optional publicly posted photograph on this forum of a piece of pie, or their RPi, and a must-do minimum 50 word introduction of themselves posted under their new Peercointalk user name; and

2.) a privately emailed photograph of their RPi screen with the RPi Serial Number and successful Port Forward showing.

Edit: also, they need to include the Peercoin public address that we can send their tip to :slight_smile:

That would help a whole lot, since it saves a lot of time and effort for compiling the thing. Apt-get can automatically install dependencies aswell. That will make it way easier to install peercoin on a raspberry pi.[/quote]

I like this above quoted thinking
so much that it makes me want to:
:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: [size=10pt] Spread Peercoin on Pi[/size] :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

:) :) :)   [b][size=12pt] Spread Peercoin on Pi [/size][/b]   :) :) :)

@newmoneyera
Not so sure about having new users setting up a full node, give them 10 ppc and then advise them not to put those 10 ppc and any other investments up for minting on that same full node.

I still prefer option 3, but maybe we can have both anyway

@newmoneyera: you are giving the tip, so you should decide how to proceed. Endles discusing is not always the way to go. Whatever kind of node you want to have, I am sure we will find someone to realize it.

Posted using Tapatalk for Android.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:51, topic:2152”]@newmoneyera
Not so sure about having new users setting up a full node, give them 10 ppc and then advise them not to put those 10 ppc and any other investments up for minting on that same full node.

I still prefer option 3, but maybe we can have both anyway[/quote]

If they set up a node, we give them 10 PPC and they set out to mint it, how long will it take them to see any successful minting?

[quote=“NewMoneyEra, post:53, topic:2152”][quote=“Cybnate, post:51, topic:2152”]@newmoneyera

If they set up a node, we give them 10 PPC and they set out to mint it, how long will it take them to see any successful minting?[/quote]

With just the 10 PPC? Years I think… Something like 30% chance within a year if I understand it properly.

[quote=“NewMoneyEra, post:53, topic:2152”][quote=“Cybnate, post:51, topic:2152”]@newmoneyera

If they set up a node, we give them 10 PPC and they set out to mint it, how long will it take them to see any successful minting?[/quote]
Yes, you got a point there, but once they have been setup, it is easier to motivate them to add some more so they can successfully mint. It is just one seed, they need to add a few more seeds over time to really let the capital grow. If you only give them the full node there is one less motivation to buy more. Just my thoughts, and it depends what you want to focus on, you are in charge :wink:

[quote=“Valermos, post:9, topic:1910”]Hi,
I compiled the 0.4 version (for Raspbian) of ppcoind: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10180704/ppcoin/0.4/ppcoind and ppcoin-qt: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10180704/ppcoin/0.4/ppcoin-qt

@Tea42: If you have any problems with the binaries please let me know.[/quote]

Wow. This sounds really terrific for the new Peercoin/RPi installation for a PPC tip initiative.

Thank You Much![/quote]

Valermos and Tea42 have been making some real progress on the Peercoin on RPi front, it appears to me.

As reported in this thread: Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!

This sounds great to me! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Tea42”]Peercoin-Raspi is an automated installer package for Peercoin on your raspberry pi.

Current version is 0.4.0

All customized content consists of scripts and desktop items, and is viewable as plain text. The installer will download the peercoin source code directly from github, and will compile it on your pi. This way you are certain that you will have the official and unaltered client on your device.

Functionality:

• User friendly setup and configuration
  • Peercoin QT client (0.4.0)
  • Minting shortcut on the desktop
  • Easy wallet backup to USB
  • Easy wallet import from USB
  • Automatic weekly email status updates

The parts you will need for peercoin-raspi are:

1. Fresh raspbian image, download here: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest

[ul][li]Extract the .img from the downloaded .zip file before writing it to an sd card[/li]
[li]Password for default user (pi) is raspberry[/li][/ul]

1. Either win32diskimager (windows), or PIwriter (mac) to write the raspbian image to sd card

[ul][li]win32diskimager: http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/latest/download[/li]
[li]PIwriter: http://sourceforge.net/projects/piwriter/files/PiWriter-1.x/[/li][/ul]

1. Setup guide (pdf):
    https://docs.google.com/uc?authuser=1&id=0Bx_tGC3WX7EdeVo4clExbXpudWc&export=download&revid=0Bx_tGC3WX7EdYnF2RFM1TmxSdkNJZUEwYkFHczhFeFpmQkZrPQ

2. Desktop package:
    https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0Bx_tGC3WX7EdVWhBd05ySVNlS0E&export=download&revid=0Bx_tGC3WX7EdRzNJTmIxNzNyVGdVT0hIcjJ5WGJLajBicVRFPQ

3. Install script:
    https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0Bx_tGC3WX7EdMWN0TUs3RjF3Vjg&export=download&revid=0Bx_tGC3WX7EdSVRna2hZZ1lTQU41Y3o4UmEyZndHZVU3bVJFPQ

Follow the steps in the setup guide to install Peercoin on your PI.
Happy minting!
Tea42[/quote]

From Tea42’s new thread:

Thanks to you Tea42 !!!

Edit: the auto-installer link is down at the bottom in Tea42’s signature line

Suggestion from irritant. I don’t really know enough about it:

[quote=“irritant”]i was thinking, with bitcoin some pools sign their blocks to identify them, do you think it is possible with PoS blocks to sign themwith something unique (need to mod the source for it a bit probably), so you can identify when a raspberry finds a block
dont know if people would try to fake it to make their computer look like a rpi (why would someone do that?)[/quote]

NewMoneyEra said:

I've been learning more about the port forwarding issue and for now I am thinking it may be asking too much of the bandwith on typical home connections. So, I would be happy with just an RPi running a Peercoin node with the default 8 connections to get a tip.

So I thought I’d post a possible plan for doing this. Please let me know whether it is ok or needs changing.

Sample person Bob wants to receive a tip.

1. Bob obtains a Raspberry Pi.

2. Bob follows Tea42’s guide to set up Peercoin on his Pi: Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!

3. Bob posts on the forum with a photo of his Pi, with his PeercoinTalk username visible in the photo. A recent newspaper is also possible (tabloids lead to an automatic disqualification though :stuck_out_tongue: ).

4. Bob sends a PM to the project organizer with a photo of his RPi screen with RPi serial number visible, and his PPC address.

5. The project organizer sets up a unique account on github for Bob.

6. The project organizer uses this account to make a commit on github, and inputs Bob’s PPC address on peer4commit.

7. The project organizer posts proof of the transaction on the forum, and Bob hopefully confirms receipt of the tip.

8. Bob can go on to turn his RPi into a full node or mint if he so chooses, but that is up to him and separate from this project.

9. Bob acquires a lifelong love of all things Peercoin and learns the importance of decentralization.

All good? If this is ok then a new repo for the project needs to be set up on github, and added to peer4commit. NewMoneyEra can send the PPC to be used for tips to the peer4commit address, if he is happy with this set up. I would recommend doing this in increments though, there’s no point having a bunch of PPC locked in the peer4commit fund if only a few people end up availing of the tip.

Please post your comments. I’m assuming that Tea42’s guide is well suited to this? I’m not an expert on this so I’ll need confirmation. Also open to other suggestions on verification.

how could it be asking too much bandwidth with such a small blockchain?