Tips for Verified Raspberry Pi Nodes

@newmoneyera
Not so sure about having new users setting up a full node, give them 10 ppc and then advise them not to put those 10 ppc and any other investments up for minting on that same full node.

I still prefer option 3, but maybe we can have both anyway

@newmoneyera: you are giving the tip, so you should decide how to proceed. Endles discusing is not always the way to go. Whatever kind of node you want to have, I am sure we will find someone to realize it.

Posted using Tapatalk for Android.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:51, topic:2152”]@newmoneyera
Not so sure about having new users setting up a full node, give them 10 ppc and then advise them not to put those 10 ppc and any other investments up for minting on that same full node.

I still prefer option 3, but maybe we can have both anyway[/quote]

If they set up a node, we give them 10 PPC and they set out to mint it, how long will it take them to see any successful minting?

[quote=“NewMoneyEra, post:53, topic:2152”][quote=“Cybnate, post:51, topic:2152”]@newmoneyera

If they set up a node, we give them 10 PPC and they set out to mint it, how long will it take them to see any successful minting?[/quote]

With just the 10 PPC? Years I think… Something like 30% chance within a year if I understand it properly.

[quote=“NewMoneyEra, post:53, topic:2152”][quote=“Cybnate, post:51, topic:2152”]@newmoneyera

If they set up a node, we give them 10 PPC and they set out to mint it, how long will it take them to see any successful minting?[/quote]
Yes, you got a point there, but once they have been setup, it is easier to motivate them to add some more so they can successfully mint. It is just one seed, they need to add a few more seeds over time to really let the capital grow. If you only give them the full node there is one less motivation to buy more. Just my thoughts, and it depends what you want to focus on, you are in charge :wink:

[quote=“Valermos, post:9, topic:1910”]Hi,
I compiled the 0.4 version (for Raspbian) of ppcoind: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10180704/ppcoin/0.4/ppcoind and ppcoin-qt: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10180704/ppcoin/0.4/ppcoin-qt

@Tea42: If you have any problems with the binaries please let me know.[/quote]

Wow. This sounds really terrific for the new Peercoin/RPi installation for a PPC tip initiative.

Thank You Much![/quote]

Valermos and Tea42 have been making some real progress on the Peercoin on RPi front, it appears to me.

As reported in this thread: Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!

This sounds great to me! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Tea42”]Peercoin-Raspi is an automated installer package for Peercoin on your raspberry pi.

Current version is 0.4.0

All customized content consists of scripts and desktop items, and is viewable as plain text. The installer will download the peercoin source code directly from github, and will compile it on your pi. This way you are certain that you will have the official and unaltered client on your device.

Functionality:

• User friendly setup and configuration
  • Peercoin QT client (0.4.0)
  • Minting shortcut on the desktop
  • Easy wallet backup to USB
  • Easy wallet import from USB
  • Automatic weekly email status updates

The parts you will need for peercoin-raspi are:

1. Fresh raspbian image, download here: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest

[ul][li]Extract the .img from the downloaded .zip file before writing it to an sd card[/li]
[li]Password for default user (pi) is raspberry[/li][/ul]

1. Either win32diskimager (windows), or PIwriter (mac) to write the raspbian image to sd card

[ul][li]win32diskimager: http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/latest/download[/li]
[li]PIwriter: http://sourceforge.net/projects/piwriter/files/PiWriter-1.x/[/li][/ul]

1. Setup guide (pdf):
    https://docs.google.com/uc?authuser=1&id=0Bx_tGC3WX7EdeVo4clExbXpudWc&export=download&revid=0Bx_tGC3WX7EdYnF2RFM1TmxSdkNJZUEwYkFHczhFeFpmQkZrPQ

2. Desktop package:
    https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0Bx_tGC3WX7EdVWhBd05ySVNlS0E&export=download&revid=0Bx_tGC3WX7EdRzNJTmIxNzNyVGdVT0hIcjJ5WGJLajBicVRFPQ

3. Install script:
    https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0Bx_tGC3WX7EdMWN0TUs3RjF3Vjg&export=download&revid=0Bx_tGC3WX7EdSVRna2hZZ1lTQU41Y3o4UmEyZndHZVU3bVJFPQ

Follow the steps in the setup guide to install Peercoin on your PI.
Happy minting!
Tea42[/quote]

From Tea42’s new thread:

Thanks to you Tea42 !!!

Edit: the auto-installer link is down at the bottom in Tea42’s signature line

Suggestion from irritant. I don’t really know enough about it:

[quote=“irritant”]i was thinking, with bitcoin some pools sign their blocks to identify them, do you think it is possible with PoS blocks to sign themwith something unique (need to mod the source for it a bit probably), so you can identify when a raspberry finds a block
dont know if people would try to fake it to make their computer look like a rpi (why would someone do that?)[/quote]

NewMoneyEra said:

I've been learning more about the port forwarding issue and for now I am thinking it may be asking too much of the bandwith on typical home connections. So, I would be happy with just an RPi running a Peercoin node with the default 8 connections to get a tip.

So I thought I’d post a possible plan for doing this. Please let me know whether it is ok or needs changing.

Sample person Bob wants to receive a tip.

1. Bob obtains a Raspberry Pi.

2. Bob follows Tea42’s guide to set up Peercoin on his Pi: Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!

3. Bob posts on the forum with a photo of his Pi, with his PeercoinTalk username visible in the photo. A recent newspaper is also possible (tabloids lead to an automatic disqualification though :stuck_out_tongue: ).

4. Bob sends a PM to the project organizer with a photo of his RPi screen with RPi serial number visible, and his PPC address.

5. The project organizer sets up a unique account on github for Bob.

6. The project organizer uses this account to make a commit on github, and inputs Bob’s PPC address on peer4commit.

7. The project organizer posts proof of the transaction on the forum, and Bob hopefully confirms receipt of the tip.

8. Bob can go on to turn his RPi into a full node or mint if he so chooses, but that is up to him and separate from this project.

9. Bob acquires a lifelong love of all things Peercoin and learns the importance of decentralization.

All good? If this is ok then a new repo for the project needs to be set up on github, and added to peer4commit. NewMoneyEra can send the PPC to be used for tips to the peer4commit address, if he is happy with this set up. I would recommend doing this in increments though, there’s no point having a bunch of PPC locked in the peer4commit fund if only a few people end up availing of the tip.

Please post your comments. I’m assuming that Tea42’s guide is well suited to this? I’m not an expert on this so I’ll need confirmation. Also open to other suggestions on verification.

how could it be asking too much bandwidth with such a small blockchain?

@irritant, I like your idea of customizing the RPi-version of the client / daemon to “sign” blocks in some way. I don’t think it has to be something that is personally identifiable, but it would be useful for network analytics.

Does anyone have concerns with adding this functionality, assuming it’s technically feasible?

Hi irritant,

I am no networking expert, nor am i a P2P expert and really I’m only a CryptoMoney enthusiast. Definitely, I am a newbie and trying to learn.

That said, I don’t think the bandwidth consumption issue is directly related to the blockchain size issue. Rather, so far as I can tell when one opens-the-port or port-forwards one’s node goes from one way communication with a maximum 8 other nodes to two way communication with up to I think 125 other nodes. Guys describe data rates in the megabytes per second continuous and their ISPs throttling them back, or they exceed their terrabyte data limits in only a short period of time, etc. So, some of these guys on home and even commercial connections have closed the port and gone back to 8 connections default. At least that is the best as I recall, it has been a while since I looked into this but here is one thread that I found influential:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1uh38f/why_has_the_amount_of_bitcoin_nodes_fallen_30_in/

If you come to a different conclusion, let’s discuss it.

Thanks for everyone’s interest, and again thanks to Tea42. I hope many of us can now get Peercoin 0.4.0 RPi going in the next week or two so we have the best experience base to go forward with.

[quote=“river333, post:59, topic:2152”]So I thought I’d post a possible plan for doing this. Please let me know whether it is ok or needs changing.

Sample person Bob wants to receive a tip.

1. Bob obtains a Raspberry Pi.

2. Bob follows Tea42’s guide to set up Peercoin on his Pi: Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!

3. Bob posts on the forum with a photo of his Pi, with his PeercoinTalk username visible in the photo. A recent newspaper is also possible (tabloids lead to an automatic disqualification though :stuck_out_tongue: ).

4. Bob sends a PM to the project organizer with a photo of his RPi screen with RPi serial number visible, and his PPC address.

5. The project organizer sets up a unique account on github for Bob.

6. The project organizer uses this account to make a commit on github, and inputs Bob’s PPC address on peer4commit.

7. The project organizer posts proof of the transaction on the forum, and Bob hopefully confirms receipt of the tip.

8. Bob can go on to turn his RPi into a full node or mint if he so chooses, but that is up to him and separate from this project.

9. Bob acquires a lifelong love of all things Peercoin and learns the importance of decentralization.

All good? If this is ok then a new repo for the project needs to be set up on github, and added to peer4commit. NewMoneyEra can send the PPC to be used for tips to the peer4commit address, if he is happy with this set up. I would recommend doing this in increments though, there’s no point having a bunch of PPC locked in the peer4commit fund if only a few people end up availing of the tip.

Please post your comments. I’m assuming that Tea42’s guide is well suited to this? I’m not an expert on this so I’ll need confirmation. Also open to other suggestions on verification.[/quote]

Wow. River333 you don’t let any grass grow under your feet. You get it done! I appreciate that :slight_smile:

Regarding your steps 3-7, I am wondering if it has to be this complicated?

3. Bob posts on the forum with a photo of his Pi, with his PeercoinTalk username visible in the photo. A recent newspaper is also possible (tabloids lead to an automatic disqualification though :P ).
  1. Bob sends a PM to the project organizer with a photo of his RPi screen with RPi serial number visible, and his PPC address.

2. The project organizer sets up a unique account on github for Bob.

3. The project organizer uses this account to make a commit on github, and inputs Bob’s PPC address on peer4commit.

4. The project organizer posts proof of the transaction on the forum, and Bob hopefully confirms receipt of the tip.

I have the deepest respect for Sigmike and the enormous value he has created for Peercoin with peer4commit, but I am not yet convinced this software-improvement model best fits our purpose. Also maybe we don’t have to have github for this project?

This doesn’t have to be multisig but it would be cool and we would be showing we are up to speed at Peercoin and promoting the best security.

Imagine that we create a 2 of 3 multisig address to distribute tips out of.

(skip this section if you don’t want to be bored by the numbers;)
Suppose, I donate starter Peercoin that is enough for 100 tips of 10 full PPC each. Counting the transaction fee that would be 10.01 times 100 or 1010 PPC total. We recruit three trustworthy Peercoin tip verifiers here from the forum. The multisig tip requires any two signatures from the three verifying keys held by our three tip verifying forum members. (technical area: it would be nice for the first two verifying signatures to receive 1 PPC each automatically (help here please Sigmike) to reward them and motivate early prompt verifications). If this is possible then to fully fund 100 verified RPi Peercoin installations it would then be 1010 plus 201 or final amount 1211 PPC to make 100 RPi installations. I am totally good with this number. Sorry to bore with numbers here.

So, here is my imagination on steps 3-7 modified/simplified:

[s]strikethrough[/s] is delete, and [u]underline[/u] is newly added.
  1. Bob posts on the forum with a photo of his Pi and his Pi screen with his PeercoinTalk username visible in the photo. A recent newspaper is also possible (tabloids lead to an automatic disqualification though :stuck_out_tongue: ). (his posting will be sufficient evidence of his user name and forum membership) In the picture of Bob’s RPi screen is:
    A. a window showing his RPi serial number; and
    B. an image of his Peercoin Qt wallet with the green checkmark in the lower right hand corner indicating that his RPi is now a currently synced Peercoin node; and before taking the picture Bob has clicked the “Receive coins” tab so
    C. Bob’s wallet “Address” to receive coins is visible in the picture; and to aid the verifiers sending him his tip
    Bob must also paste the digital version of his receiving address into his forum post.

2. Bob sends a PM to the project organizer with a photo of his RPi screen with RPi serial number visible, and his PPC address. Anyone of the three verifiers checks Bob’s RPi serial number against a list of numbers that tips have already been sent to and also checks items B for the green check mark, and C that the screen address matches the digitally supplied address, then signs a 10 PPC tip for Bob (actual transaction value 12.01 PPC = 10 tip 1+1 to verifiers and .01 transaction fee) and sends the signed transaction to the other two signers/verifiers. It would be nice if somehow this could be done publicly to show everyone how it is done. But whatever. Anyway, one of the two other verifiers signs Bob’s tip and transmits it to the network. The first two verifiers automatically receive 1 PPC each for their efforts and service.

3. The project organizer sets up a unique account on github for Bob. Bob receives his tip in his Qt wallet and anyone who wants to check on the blockchain can see that he did receive it.

[s]6. The project organizer uses this account to make a commit on github, and inputs Bob’s PPC address on peer4commit.

1. The project organizer posts proof of the transaction on the forum, and Bob hopefully confirms receipt of the tip.[/s]

Would this work? With the multi-sig? Or, even simpler without multi-sig?

Also, how could this protocol be scamed?

Thank You for your help in this project.

NewMoneyEra

Edit: a few protocol clarifications

One caveat, I’m not trying to cheap out here as I’m going to donate the same amount no matter what. But, the 10 PPC tip was conceived when PPC was around $2 each and now is ~$2.50. I’m totally good with that as a RPi costs about $60 all up. If the value of PPC were to jump up I would think we should lower the tip amount, and conversely if PPC price were to plummet down we should raise the tip to a reasonable portion of the cost of an Raspberry Pi. Almost like we are subsidizing the RPi purchase so long as it serves at least initially as a Peercoin node. In other words, I don’t think we should buy the whole thing - the end user (tip recipient) should have at least some of his own skin in the game.

Thoughts?

Makes sense to me regarding value of tips

Regarding the tipping, agree peer4commit is not best suited for smaller fixed value commits. A while ago super3 launched a plan to build a social faucet, that would work for this. The advantage would be that it is more transperent assuming it works they way I think it should work. Anyone knows where super3 is at with this?

Don’t know much about the new multisig you are talking about, but it sounds good to me. Just needs some supporting links to the ledger in a thread.

Hi Cybnate,

Thanks for the positive feedback. Multisig is the hot new protocol which has been integrated into Bitcoin and is also in Peercoin protocol. Many of the most savvy think multisig will greatly enhance security against all kinds of theft of cryptos. In the most common version there are three keys to control the spending of the funds in one multisig address. When you make the multisig address you can set it up so that either one, or two, or all three keys are necessary to spend the funds. The most common arrangement is requiring two of the three keys to spend the funds.

In our case for giving tips to RPi verified Peercoin nodes three forum members who want to help verify nodes and send tips would each have their own private key. Only two of those keys are necessary to spend, that is to send the tip, so if one person gets too busy, or sick, or whatever the other two can still send a tip.

In more normal circumstances multisig can mimic many of the security checks we have already built into our fiat financial systems.

Here is a great video on multisig: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIbUSaZBJgU

This guy does some really great Bitcoin videos. He recently did one on 51% PoW attack costs that still has the BTC forums reeling.

Multi-sig certainly looks to be better suited to this, good idea NewMoneyEra.

If it works it can also be hopefully used for other similar projects.

[quote=“river333, post:67, topic:2152”]Multi-sig certainly looks to be better suited to this, good idea NewMoneyEra.

If it works it can also be hopefully used for other similar projects.[/quote]

Hi river333,

I think multisig could be a cool way to do this and like you said may hopefully be used in other similar projects. That said it is a bit more complicated and new, so if you would want to get started by personally giving out the tips I will go with that as I totally trust you. You have clearly shown your good will on the forum in the many good acts you do.

Thank You for all the good things you do,

NewMoneyEra

[quote=“NewMoneyEra, post:68, topic:2152”][quote=“river333, post:67, topic:2152”]Multi-sig certainly looks to be better suited to this, good idea NewMoneyEra.

If it works it can also be hopefully used for other similar projects.[/quote]

Hi river333,

I think multisig could be a cool way to do this and like you said may hopefully be used in other similar projects. That said it is a bit more complicated and new, so if you would want to get started by personally giving out the tips I will go with that as I totally trust you. You have clearly shown your good will on the forum in the many good acts you do.

Thank You for all the good things you do,

NewMoneyEra[/quote]

I suppose it depends on how soon we want to get started with this, and how long it will take to figure out multisig.

If it doesn’t take too long to start with multisig, then it would probably be better just to use that for everything, rather than complicating things with two different options.

Also I’m not really sure if a 1 PPC payment to the private key holders for verifying is necessary, especially if it complicates setting it up.