----- The Peercoin 2014 Dream Wallet thread -----

In this post a list of items for the Peercoin 2014 Dream Wallet. Let you imagination build and creativity flow!

Background
Have been following the scene for a while now and the infrastructure get slowly but surely into place. Nice forum as we have, many volunpeers, strong interest on the markets and interest from payment processors. So what’s there to wish for? The wallet. As we all know the Peercoin wallet (v0.3) is technically sound and provides the basic functions but not much inspirational and definitely not differentiating from a lot of the other cryptos out there. Just look e.g. at the Worldcoin wallet. But still no-one has what I think is:

THE PEERCOIN 2014 DREAM WALLET.

Setting the Scene
Here we go. I didn’t take development constraints or the current Peercoin wallet developments in consideration. Just what would be great to have added to a new wallet. I have been digging around in the forums so you might recognize some ideas. I will stay away from the multi-wallet as that would introduce a lot of complexity and all kinds of other considerations and nice to haves. Maybe later in another thread. Same for a mobile client. I also assumed current wallet functionality would stay.
So I designed my dream wallet (maybe someone can Photoshop parts of it, I’m not good enough for that). Below the items in no specific order.

Main or existing tabs:

1. Peercoin logo and designed in style of Peercoin Facebook and website and new name (Peercoin). Anyone disagreeing?
  2. Ability to maintain up to 5 Peercoin accounts (with some smarts in GUI that it doesn’t waste space if I’m only using one) and Wallet names and transactions per wallet.
  3. Indicator for total number of coins across all 5 wallets (if in use)
  4. Total number of Peercoins in wallets and total across wallets
  5. Indication of latest Peercoin value (e.g. hourly update from top 3 exchanges)
  6. Value display in different currencies and cryptos (e.g. EUR/USD/CNY and BTC/LTC with pull-down)
  7. Direct clickable links/buttons to same Top 3 major exchanges (user selectable). Can be in address book.
  8. Linking Peercoin transactions to Block in Blockchain (e.g. display block when mouseover) in transactions. So you can always find your transaction if needed.
  9. Optional password/authentication on opening wallet (mainly for companies or just to keep the kids or other unwanted eyes away sharing the computer).

Minting Tab:

1. Minting with locked wallet (really and securely locked). No arguments here, probably in v0.4.
  2. Cumulative age of coins and percentage coins ready for minting (wallet management)
  3. Ability to spend coins with lowest coinage first (wallet management)
  4. Ability to indicate number of coins which will be put up for minting and which not (reservebalance)

Options tab:

1. Ability for multi signature transactions (spending coins only with multiple keys)
  2. Ability to send small message (e.g. max 80 char) with transaction (guess that requires work beyond wallet)
  3. Ability to create paper wallet (export coins to paper wallet)
  4. Tracking of off-line coins in paper wallet (if you have multiple wallets)
  5. Ability to set transaction fee (minimum 0.01)
  6. Ability to integrate transactions and address book in wallet with social media / external address books (e.g. api with Facebook, Linked etc.). Or more simplistic ability to upload photo with each address in wallet.
  7. Ability to setup automatic payments. (how could I forget such basic functionality?)
  8. Ability to label transactions (in and out) within wallet even if they are using the same address. Just to keep track of transactions instead of addresses.
  9. Ability to enable sounds to certain activities e.g. when receiving transactions (cash register sound), or when successfully minted coins (whooping sound). including ability to change sound yourself.

Email/message tab:

1. Encrypted email client (usual email functionality, but with e.g. 0.001 PPC fee/message

Mining tab:

1. Mining support e.g. Mining tab in a way that pool only need to provide config file to download and off you go.
  2. Several kinds of indicators could be relayed from pool (e.g. contributions, total mining power, PPCs/hour, profits etc.) Almost a client in itself. Need some help here what would be good.

Developer/Advanced tab

1. Support for developers/advanced e.g. Developer/Advanced tab Thinking of access to logs, showing private key (with password), blockchain stats and other behind the scenes info for the geek in us. Devs have probably more ideas in this sections.

Bringing all off the above to a mobile and multi-crypto wallet platform would be even better, but maybe the dream has to stay at least a bit realistic :wink:

Like to hear what you like, don’t like, what will never happen in 2014 or you would add to your dream wallet.
Will update the list with the best ideas, just to inspire future development and awaiting development of v0.4 and probably v0.5 (or 1.0?)

Edit: added transaction fee setting option and inspiration from Bitcoin Hive wallet (integration with social media / address book)

nice idea… but i think there are much limited on current wallet. developers will need to clarify on this.

i guess you want to do something like mt4 style.

[quote=“ckyap8188, post:2, topic:1321”]nice idea… but i think there are much limited on current wallet. developers will need to clarify on this.

i guess you want to do something like mt4 style.[/quote]
Thanks, I understand MT4 is metatrader 4 (forex client). Never seen that, but I guess at least some elements of that would be useful. After all that has been developed over many years. Still looking more for a wallet for PPC and its specific requirements than a trading tool.

[quote=“Cybnate, post:3, topic:1321”][quote=“ckyap8188, post:2, topic:1321”]nice idea… but i think there are much limited on current wallet. developers will need to clarify on this.

i guess you want to do something like mt4 style.[/quote]
Thanks, I understand MT4 is metatrader 4 (forex client). Never seen that, but I guess at least some elements of that would be useful. After all that has been developed over many years. Still looking more for a wallet for PPC and its specific requirements than a trading tool.[/quote]

I agree that trading tools can be made by the speculators if they want them. For peercoin to develop we need a much more grandma-friendly wallet.

I agree that trading tools can be made by the speculators if they want them. For peercoin to develop we need a much more grandma-friendly wallet.

I agree. Something simple like the Hive wallet for BTC would be cool IMO.

[quote=“yellowecho, post:5, topic:1321”]

I agree. Something simple like the Hive wallet for BTC would be cool IMO.[/quote]
Haven’t had a close look at Hive, but liked the photos next to the transactions and in the address book. Easy for ‘grandma’ to send PPC to her grandchildren :wink:
Updated OP accordingly.

Agree, it needs to be easy, that’s why the more complicated options have their own tab, if people don’t understand them they don’t have to touch them.
You might even add an advanced tick box in options. If left unticked, all the mining, minting and developer tabs won’t show.

A lot of nice ideas, I especially like the “minting tab”. But I agree: the wallet should still be and used as a wallet, not as some kind of “speculator tool”. So trading and also information about pools should not be included imho.

Regards!

[quote=“Test0r, post:7, topic:1321”]A lot of nice ideas, I especially like the “minting tab”. But I agree: the wallet should still be and used as a wallet, not as some kind of “speculator tool”. So trading and also information about pools should not be included imho.

Regards![/quote]

+1

Added:

• automatic payments. how could I forget such basic functionality?
  • ability to label transactions (in and out) within wallet even if they are using the same address. Just to keep track of transactions instead of addresses. (e.g. I accidentally used the same address for receiving funds from two different exchanges, now there is no way to track for me which transaction came from which exchange as they are under the same address label.
  • Ability to enable sounds to certain activities e.g. when receiving transactions (cash register sound), or when successfully minted coins (whooping sound). including ability to change sound yourself.

Any Volunpeers bothered to respond to the dream wallet? Hope it is not a too sensitive issue, or am I setting the expectations way too high?

I’m just now getting a chance to think about this (I’ve been out of town) but I’ll definitely contribute my thoughts to it as soon as I’m caught back up on everything. A few weeks back I started to sketch up ideas for what I thought would be nice to include in the “next generation” Peercoin wallet, so I’ll share what I came up with.

This is a great topic (and one that will become even more important once we’ve got an idea of what v0.4 has to offer)