The Official ppcoin.org Website Redesign Planning Thread

[quote=“mhps, post:16, topic:406”]I’m all for an improved web page. But the current ppcoin.org simple front page has a certain unique, if somewhat odd, character in it.
Maybe the next one could have a few graphic element taken from the current one to suggest continuity and cherish of heritage?[/quote]

Nice catch. My opinion is that an unique design with character (soul) is always better than something that looks ‘professional’ but the same with everybody else. Something to think about for the new web design. The goal of PPC and XPM is to innovate, to push forward the technology, instead of cloning others work. It would be best that a web design can reflect this character.

[quote=“super3, post:13, topic:406”]Who has control of the ppcoin.org domain? I have hosting and all the other stuff covered. If you want me to host it set the nameservers to: ns1.digitalocean.com, ns2.digitalocean.com, ns3.digitalocean.com

Again this is just a temporary website, and it is something I have right now. I can make the code available on Github for yall to make changes. I’m a bit busy this week with midterms, but can design something better and professional after Friday.[/quote]

now we’re talking. let’s roll.

With Sunny’s note in mind, it seems we should select a theme that we can easily slip the current design elements into.

So, does anybody object to these two items:

1. We select a parallax template of some sort. The format seems to convey the best combination of innovation and creativity while maintaining a professional feel.

2. We do it on wordpress. Easy to update/edit/etc.

If good on those two items do yall folks want to nominate some wordpress themes? I would nominate the following one:
http://themeforest.net/item/just-one-responsive-parallax-wordpress-theme/full_screen_preview/5742132

Super3 - do you want to nominate one from woo themes?

Are we on the right track?

I’m really happy to make a website for PPCoin - it’s my business, making sites :slight_smile: http://www.hireahenchman.co.nz I’m even happy to host it assuming it doesn’t get so much traffic it pulls my server down.

If folks want me to have a go just let me know and I’ll see what I can do. I’m all up for clean, modern designs so would definitely be thinking about going for something like that.

Cheers

I really like the wordpress themes that hammyburger posted also. For example, the one with the wide picture of the city at the top. The photo could be replaced with a wide picture of a forest or mountains, maybe one of the photos that Alertness posted. The Peercoin logo would go at the top center of the photo. Below the photo we could have the different buttons, but have them in shades of green, a darker shade for the highlighted button and lighter for the rest of them. If I was home I could create a concept image, but I can’t right now, so you’ll just have to visualize it.

Also, are we no longer talking about a temp site here? Are we just talking about the main redesign?

[quote=“cshelswell, post:24, topic:406”]I’m really happy to make a website for PPCoin - it’s my business, making sites :slight_smile: http://www.hireahenchman.co.nz I’m even happy to host it assuming it doesn’t get so much traffic it pulls my server down.

If folks want me to have a go just let me know and I’ll see what I can do. I’m all up for clean, modern designs so would definitely be thinking about going for something like that.

Cheers[/quote]Awesome. Let’s work together. I can do more of the backend stuff, while you can make it look nice and shiny. That will let me focus on integrating a faucet into the main website to get new users started off. Do you know how to use Github? I have several servers that I can use to host the website. I’ve got the hosting part covered.

ok sounds like a plan. Let me have a play around with a design this week and we’ll see what we can come up with. I’ve built a really handy content manager that works on laravel and PHP that can be used if you want? Or if you’d prefer i can just make a design then CSS it up etc?

Awesome looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Ok. It sounds like we don’t need the template, then, right? I’d be more than willing to pay the $35 for it if yall want to use it, but if you are more comfortable designing without it, go ahead.

Can we make sure, if possible to include Sunny and others on here in the design process? I think, in the end, that will lead to the best design. Collective wisdom and such.

Sure if people want me to go ahead with a design just post up here the kind of things you’d like included on the site. I’ll mock something up and let folks see it before any coding goes ahead.

Cheers

I think that would be best if we could first do a whole bunch of concept images to include different ideas until most people are happy with it, then we can go ahead and code it up. I have some ideas, but I can’t post them until later tonight when I get off of work.

BTW: The PPCoin Faucet link is not working if you click the link on ppcoin.org

My only concern about doing it in a custom CMS is that it may be more difficult update over time and take advantage of wordpress plugins - such as for SEO and other stuff like that.

Thoughts? Or do we think that is a non-issue?

This is only an idea I had, not sure how feasible it is or how it could be done. Sunny King has said that he wanted Primecoin to act as a gateway to Peercoin. We’ve taken that to heart here on the forum. Anyone that comes here to post about Primecoin will inevitably learn more about ppc due to the nature of the shared forum. They will come to understand that both coins are from the same developer and will research more into ppc, learning about all its innovative features.

We are not currently taking this idea as far as it could go though. Not everyone visits this forum, but a lot of people visit the main website. To help further this strategy, we could create a merged Peercoin/Primecoin website. The content can’t be jumbled together though. That would be confusing. There would have to be a clear separation between the content for each coin. Searching ppcoin.org and primecoin.org will take you to different halves of the same website. The benefit in doing it this way is that people searching for Primecoin will be exposed to Peercoin and the opposite will be true as well. This can be the linked forum as well, since it’s already a shared community.

I don’t know how it can be separated in the website design. That’s something for the designers to figure out, but I believe doing it this way might help further along the awareness, understanding and adoption of Peercoin by exposing more people to it. What do you think?

I don’t think the faucet has worked since forever.

Design is great, not sure if I would but market stats in there though.

On a side not I don’t like that primecoin is now being marketed here on ppcoin talk. Just seems out of place pushy

It’s part of a strategy, see Sunny’s comments further into this thread…

[b]http://www.ppcointalk.org/index.php?topic=288.0[/b]

yes that temporary site looks heaps better,

I use Wix and get my 17 year old son to build some sites for me :wink:

A different domain name would be great. Having two names (ppcoin and peercoin) is somewhat confusing.

Also, has anybody thought about target audiences and key messages for each audience?

Yes, having Peercoin in the domain would be a definite improvement, but we’d have to contact the owner and see if he’d be willing to give it up for the main website. Does anyone know any contact details?

Also, I was just wondering what people thought of my merged site idea that I posted about above.

I would vote for two different sites as well but I don’t know the long terms plans that Sunny has. Did I see somewhere that he thinks they will work together.

On peercoin.com: at the very least maybe he will keep something on this homepage to refer to the real peercoin.

But, I have to admit, its pretty confusing: from their site it appears that they actually have a coin called peercoin. Folks are going to get confused. Kind of shady if you ask me, since peercoin already existed, presumably, when they created their company.

Should we be playing down peercoin and playing up ppcoin? Or is it just a matter of search engine optimization to solve that issue?